★ ★ ★ STG Guard Review: Bringing down the Soviet hammer! ★ ★ ★

The Scorpions Den STG Guard Soviet Tier 8 Medium Guide Tutorial Review Mountain Goating

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Nonamanadus #21 Posted Sep 19 2017 - 05:02

Major

• Players
  • 24168 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

Average but different playstyle.

I would say Wargaming did a well thought out job on this one.

Verblonde #22 Posted Sep 19 2017 - 15:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 17117 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB

I'm rather enjoying mine, so far (I got the 'plain' version); it's a very different playstyle to all the other T8s I have, which makes for extra variation/interest.

Also liking the fact that it seems to be reasonably balanced (I feel guilty every time I take out my 252U, even though I suck in it)!

Komitadjie #23 Posted Sep 19 2017 - 15:51

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1030 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
I've had a bit of a tough time playing it well, although that's probably just an issue of needing to get games in it. Maybe it's because I got the plain version, and Stalin is not impressed.  The gun is frustrating as hell for me. Fully aimed, it's awesome. But it takes FOREVER and a week to actually aim. Usually, by then the target has gone dark or ducked. I'm just used to the Lowe gun or the STRV. Basically, if I play it long, the fairly slow shell velocity, and aim time keep me from doing well. If I play it in close, like for all the city and funnel maps, the armor won't hold up and I get shredded.  Being against 9s and 10s that bounce the 212 pen fairly easily unless you get a nice weak spot shot doesn't help, especially with the kinda awful in-motion gun stats.

I haven't really seen it leading games, either, on my team or the enemy. Interesting beast, I don't think I'd get it again, but I don't really regret getting it.

Edited by Komitadjie, Sep 19 2017 - 15:54.

Scorpiany #24 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 05:03

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30044 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostKomitadjie, on Sep 19 2017 - 07:51, said:

I've had a bit of a tough time playing it well, although that's probably just an issue of needing to get games in it. Maybe it's because I got the plain version, and Stalin is not impressed.  The gun is frustrating as hell for me. Fully aimed, it's awesome. But it takes FOREVER and a week to actually aim. Usually, by then the target has gone dark or ducked. I'm just used to the Lowe gun or the STRV. Basically, if I play it long, the fairly slow shell velocity, and aim time keep me from doing well. If I play it in close, like for all the city and funnel maps, the armor won't hold up and I get shredded.  Being against 9s and 10s that bounce the 212 pen fairly easily unless you get a nice weak spot shot doesn't help, especially with the kinda awful in-motion gun stats.

I haven't really seen it leading games, either, on my team or the enemy. Interesting beast, I don't think I'd get it again, but I don't really regret getting it.

I've noticed that the gun can misbehave at times. Sometimes the gun handling pulls through, other times the mediocre gun handling lets you down. Just kind of hope.

Lowe is definitely a luxury in that regard; it's so reliable.

View PostDa_Craw, on Sep 18 2017 - 08:20, said:

Got "reported" for penning one in the turret last night.  Apparently, they are impenetrable and it is cheating to use gold ammo.  Made my night.

Haha! It's far from the world's most armored tank, by any stretch of the imagination. Usually pretty important to know what your armor is capable of before you report players, but I guess that guy was too good for armor values. :P

Edited by Scorpiany, Sep 21 2017 - 05:04.

golruul #25 Posted Sep 23 2017 - 01:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19634 battles
Hey Scorp, the gun handling stats on this look terrible.  How would you compare it to your T-34-3?

Scorpiany #26 Posted Sep 23 2017 - 04:22

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30044 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Postgolruul, on Sep 22 2017 - 17:26, said:

Hey Scorp, the gun handling stats on this look terrible.  How would you compare it to your T-34-3?

This tank is so much more reliable than the T-34-3 is, and in almost all regards, is just going to perform better than the T-34-3 could.

The gun handling on the Guard isn't great, but it's much better than the T-34-3's (Due to the terrible base accuracy of the T-34-3). And the T-34-3 just ends up taking much longer to aim as well, since not only will the bloom end up being larger, but the T-34-3 has a much worse aiming time too.

golruul #27 Posted Sep 23 2017 - 18:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19634 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Sep 22 2017 - 21:22, said:

This tank is so much more reliable than the T-34-3 is, and in almost all regards, is just going to perform better than the T-34-3 could.

The gun handling on the Guard isn't great, but it's much better than the T-34-3's (Due to the terrible base accuracy of the T-34-3). And the T-34-3 just ends up taking much longer to aim as well, since not only will the bloom end up being larger, but the T-34-3 has a much worse aiming time too.

Thanks for reply!  I think I'll get it after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users