M4 sherman or T1 heavy?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

thefastkiller45 #1 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 03:30

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2383 battles

so im about to research a new tier V tank but i dont know which one, the M4 SHERMAN or T1 HEAVY 

anyone know which one is better?

:unsure:

werecat #2 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 03:39

Captain

• Players
  • 28973 battles
  • [TRULL] TRULL

For a new player, the T1Heavy might be a better choice simply because you'll have more HP to play around with and more consistent DPM.

For more experienced players, the M4 with the 105mm gun is borderline overpowered if you know what you're doing and aren't afraid to fire some HEAT ammo

But ultimately, decide based on what tanks you want to go for after the tier 5

_Schneller_Heinz_ #3 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 03:48

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2912 battles
  • [PZRGD] PZRGD

View Postthefastkiller45, on Sep 20 2017 - 03:30, said:

so im about to research a new tier V tank but i dont know which one, the M4 SHERMAN or T1 HEAVY 

Looking at your stats you have not even mastered a tier I tank and looking to get a tier V.

Piece of mind...Learn the game first in lower tiers, because the higher up the ladder you go the more seasoned most player are.

You want enjoy it to much getting yours handed to you in most games you gonna be in.

StoveBolt54 #4 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 03:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25036 battles

Both !

Each will be fine tanks to learn on.

US_3rd_Army #5 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 03:50

Major

• Players
  • 36646 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU

One is a heavy and the other is a medium, both of which have their own play styles and pros and cons. You really can't compare the two, but if you had to pick which to go for first, I say the Sherman because I find it to be a fun tank to play, and the tier 6 Shermans are both fun tanks and you still have the option to go down the Heavy line from the Sherman Jumbo (Though going that direction has it's own drawbacks).

But at the end of the day, it's your choice, we can only give your recommendations based on our experience.

Karl__Childers #6 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 03:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11938 battles

I agree with taking your time, however here's some food for thought. If you're looking at getting the T29 down the road, go with the T1 Heavy. The Sherman line will get you there but trust me you want to go through the M6 (after T1 Hvy) to get the 90mm gun.

Anyone who's suffered with the 76mm on a T29 will agree

I made that mistake and went back and did the T1 Heavy and M6 because it was too painful with the 76mm.

CedricMacLaren #7 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 04:07

Major

• Players
  • 15130 battles
  • [RECKT] RECKT

Neither is better than the other. I believe I hit both at about the same time. I think I had maybe 800 or so battles by that time, with the bulk of those in turretless TDs. I made the mistake of thinking now that I had actual armor I could count on it. You can as long as you are exposing nothing more than your turret. It took me quite some time to realize that what I thought was "hull down" actually left most of my hull exposed. You would think that all the pens to my hull would have given me a clue, but it didn't. 

As for which I found easier to play as a new guy, that was the M4. At the time it had an OP HEAT round for the 105. I suppose it still would have been easier than the T1 for me to have played as a new guy today. You can no longer spam HEAT and turn a profit in it, but the HE round is easy to use. Of the two today, I find the T1 much easier to play. Fully elite, it is really pretty quick for an HT.

Which ever way you go, unlock the 90 mm gun on the M6 before you move from the E8, E2, or M6. You will need that gun for the T20 (best T7 MT in the game) and T29 (best T7 HT in the game for everyone but me.)

US_3rd_Army #8 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 04:17

Major

• Players
  • 36646 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU

View PostCedricMacLaren, on Sep 19 2017 - 22:07, said:

Neither is better than the other. I believe I hit both at about the same time. I think I had maybe 800 or so battles by that time, with the bulk of those in turretless TDs. I made the mistake of thinking now that I had actual armor I could count on it. You can as long as you are exposing nothing more than your turret. It took me quite some time to realize that what I thought was "hull down" actually left most of my hull exposed. You would think that all the pens to my hull would have given me a clue, but it didn't. 

As for which I found easier to play as a new guy, that was the M4. At the time it had an OP HEAT round for the 105. I suppose it still would have been easier than the T1 for me to have played as a new guy today. You can no longer spam HEAT and turn a profit in it, but the HE round is easy to use. Of the two today, I find the T1 much easier to play. Fully elite, it is really pretty quick for an HT.

Which ever way you go, unlock the 90 mm gun on the M6 before you move from the E8, E2, or M6. You will need that gun for the T20 (best T7 MT in the game) and T29 (best T7 HT in the game for everyone but me.)

For tier 7 heavy, I agree with you because while I found the T29 to be a decent tank, I always preferred the Tiger I. But otherwise good advice on unlocking the 90mm before getting to the T20 or T29

US_3rd_Army #9 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 04:22

Major

• Players
  • 36646 battles
  • [T-GBU] T-GBU

View PostKarl__Childers, on Sep 19 2017 - 21:54, said:

I agree with taking your time, however here's some food for thought. If you're looking at getting the T29 down the road, go with the T1 Heavy. The Sherman line will get you there but trust me you want to go through the M6 (after T1 Hvy) to get the 90mm gun.

I made that mistake and went back and did the T1 Heavy and M6 because it was too painful with the 76mm.

Amen Brother, To be honest when I played the T29 back in like 2011, I was too stupid and blind to notice it had the option of putting the 90mm gun on, so I went from the 76mm M1A2 to the 105mm

madogthefirst #10 Posted Sep 20 2017 - 04:47

Major

• Players
  • 23437 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View Postthefastkiller45, on Sep 19 2017 - 18:30, said:

View PostKarl__Childers, on Sep 19 2017 - 18:54, said:

Both are worth researching especially if you have any interest in the lines. To get to the T29 you'll want to have done the M6 first for the 90mm or else you would have to wait till you knocked out the T20 which also has the 90mm, you really don't want to play the T29 with the 76mm.

View Postwerecat, on Sep 19 2017 - 18:39, said:

For a new player, the T1Heavy might be a better choice simply because you'll have more HP to play around with and more consistent DPM.

For more experienced players, the M4 with the 105mm gun is borderline overpowered if you know what you're doing and aren't afraid to fire some HEAT ammo

But ultimately, decide based on what tanks you want to go for after the tier 5

Derps are for scrubs that can't aim.

Sgt__Guffy #11 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 02:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3433 battles

I would suggest the choice depends solely on your playstyle. Are you a medium play anywhere on the map player or a heavy brawler? If you have played the KV1, then opt for the T1 heavy. It will not take the punishment a KV1 will take, so learn to shoot before your enemy! Decent gun, quite manoeuvrable for a heavy, a good dependable tank. I liked it, although I am not a natural heavy tank player.

I really liked the M4, one of the few tanks I was really sorry to part with. I had some great games with it. A fun tank. Also some really good Sherman type tanks going up a tier with the Easy 8 and Jumbo.

Go on, go mad, try them both!

Have fun,

Guffy.

AbramsSmakr #12 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 10:37

Major

• Players
  • 5815 battles

Is neither an option? No, I would recommend the T1 first, until you get better at using medium tanks. Also, with the old MM, the M4 was very popular due to the option of using the 105mm derp gun, because you were top tier approx 33% of the time, and mid tier 33%, meaning that low tier games werent crushing your ability to get decent damage with the 105mm. But now with the 70-75% low tier games that you WILL be thrown into, the 105mm is obsolete. That is, unless you dont mind using a gun that is terribly inaccurate and has laughably low shell velocity, that does an average of maybe 135 damage per shot against most tier 6-7 tanks, at a rate of maybe 6 rounds per minute, against MANY tanks that can eat ALL your health in 1-2 shots. There is the 76mm M1A1 gun option, but its not super accurate either, and misses a lot at mid to long range, which is where you will want to be when low tier in the M4, playing support. You get the same gun in the T1, but it has armor, which allows you to get closer and actually hit weak spots occasionally.

Plus the T1 leads to the M6, which gets a MUCH better gun in the 90mm, which makes the M6 pretty good in strongholds(at least it used to be), and the 90mm has good AP pen of 160mm, with spectacular premium ammo pen of 243mm! If you choose the M4, and you grind up to tier 6 to the M4E8 or M4A2, you will STILL be stuck with basically the identical 76mm the M4 used at tier 5. Its always fun to shoot at tier 7-8 heavies with an inaccurate gun with 128mm of pen and 115 damage...

Edited by AbramsSmakr, Sep 21 2017 - 10:47.

Worland #13 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 14:14

Major

• Players
  • 16766 battles
While you're in the Lee, research both the M4 and the T1HT. While you're suffering through the grind to elite the Lee, it'll get that crew well trained to move onto the next tank. The T1HT is easier to play. It is a fast heavy with decent front armor. The M4 is a great medium armed with either the 105 or 76mm.

I wouldn't waste your time in low tiers. You won't learn anything there. Tier 5 is a much better place to learn.

OldFrog75 #14 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 15:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 10539 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostWorland, on Sep 21 2017 - 14:14, said:

I wouldn't waste your time in low tiers. You won't learn anything there. Tier 5 is a much better place to learn.

I disagree.  I played over 2000 battles in Tiers I-III before moving up to Tiers IV-V.  If a player can't carry their weight in Tier III, how can they possibly carry their weight in Tier V or above?

Peak_Bagger #15 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 16:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16863 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View PostAbramsSmakr, on Sep 21 2017 - 10:37, said:

Is neither an option? No, I would recommend the T1 first, until you get better at using medium tanks. Also, with the old MM, the M4 was very popular due to the option of using the 105mm derp gun, because you were top tier approx 33% of the time, and mid tier 33%, meaning that low tier games werent crushing your ability to get decent damage with the 105mm. But now with the 70-75% low tier games that you WILL be thrown into, the 105mm is obsolete. That is, unless you dont mind using a gun that is terribly inaccurate and has laughably low shell velocity, that does an average of maybe 135 damage per shot against most tier 6-7 tanks, at a rate of maybe 6 rounds per minute, against MANY tanks that can eat ALL your health in 1-2 shots. There is the 76mm M1A1 gun option, but its not super accurate either, and misses a lot at mid to long range, which is where you will want to be when low tier in the M4, playing support. You get the same gun in the T1, but it has armor, which allows you to get closer and actually hit weak spots occasionally.

Plus the T1 leads to the M6, which gets a MUCH better gun in the 90mm, which makes the M6 pretty good in strongholds(at least it used to be), and the 90mm has good AP pen of 160mm, with spectacular premium ammo pen of 243mm! If you choose the M4, and you grind up to tier 6 to the M4E8 or M4A2, you will STILL be stuck with basically the identical 76mm the M4 used at tier 5. Its always fun to shoot at tier 7-8 heavies with an inaccurate gun with 128mm of pen and 115 damage...

I respectfully disagree with your take on the M4. It's always relevant and useful. Even in Tier VII battles, almost half of your targets are your tier and it can still damage anything in higher tiers with the derp. Sure, to Maddog's point, it's for scrubs who can't aim, but I'm a scrub who can't aim so that's a good thing. It's mobile enough and the spectacular gun depression is very handy. I usually at least get Fire for Effect with it nowadays. Blowing up a Chaffee or T67 in 1 shot is wildly satisfying. I find it to be an excellent medium tank for it's tier. Definitely a good tank for beginners.

Malcontint #16 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 17:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26662 battles

Get the T1 Heavy first. Don't sell the Lee until you have also unlocked the M4. If it turns out you like the game and want to stick with it you'll eventually learn to love American mediums.

Follow the medium tanks in your T1 Heavy. Learn to shoot moving tanks. Learn to use gun depression. Learn sidescraping. If you die pick out a good tanker to watch the match through and see what they do. Learn to pick out your mistakes and the mistakes of others so you can avoid them yourself.  Learn the game at tier 5 and 6. At tier 7+ your opponents will be a lot more skilled and you will fail miserably if you do not learn to play first. Don't stay in tier 3 as others have suggested. You won't see many good examples of how the game is played. But do not progress past tier 6 till you have much more experience.

westdccs #17 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 18:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 16441 battles
I will say that my least favorite American Medium Tank was the M4. I struggled to make that tank work consistently. However, I didn't struggle as much with the T1 Heavy. Just know the T1 Heavy is a big target and thus, an arty magnet. 

AbramsSmakr #18 Posted Sep 22 2017 - 22:01

Major

• Players
  • 5815 battles

View Postwestdccs, on Sep 22 2017 - 12:14, said:

I will say that my least favorite American Medium Tank was the M4. I struggled to make that tank work consistently. However, I didn't struggle as much with the T1 Heavy. Just know the T1 Heavy is a big target and thus, an arty magnet. 

I got rid of my T1, and VK30.01H tier 5 German heavy not because they were bad, but because I don't like having to buy garage spaces, and I already owned almost every tier 5 heavy tank, and because I used the crews for higher tier tanks. Although both the T1 and VK30.01H have their 'moments', I thought that they were the less appealing tier 5 heavies when compared with the KV-1 and BDR G1B.

I haven't played ANY Japanese heavies, so I can't judge their effectiveness. But I question the quality of the later tier French heavies that I haven't decided to buy yet. But you cannot really go wrong with the KV-1 and there will be good tanks in the T1 line too.

KampfyKouch #19 Posted Sep 23 2017 - 11:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14448 battles
  • [NEET] NEET

View Post_Schneller_Heinz_, on Sep 19 2017 - 18:48, said:

Looking at your stats you have not even mastered a tier I tank and looking to get a tier V.

Piece of mind...Learn the game first in lower tiers, because the higher up the ladder you go the more seasoned most player are.

You want enjoy it to much getting yours handed to you in most games you gonna be in.

That's awful advice, regardless of how bad a person plays, they need to get to tiers 5/6 ASAP. Tiers 1-3 teaches you nothing about the game and few tier 4 tanks are well balanced enough to be able to deal with the horrid MM they get. OP get the T1 heavy, it's a good tank with plenty of room to learn and make mistakes in.

firekitty #20 Posted Sep 25 2017 - 16:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40309 battles
  • [IMWAR] IMWAR

OP,

I got to agree with Kampfykouch. It is very important to learn to play ALL types of tanks in the lower tiers. BUT, it is mid tiers where you will really learn to battle, learn the pros and cons of each tank type too. The onus is on you to learn, and become a better player at each. I would say, given your limited battle experience, spend awhile in tiers 4 and 5 for a bit. Both the tanks you have an interest in are excellent noob tanks really. The KV 1 is another. The T1 has a very strong top engine, and can climb hills with ease. It also has not bad gun depression too. Use the strengths of the tank and adjust your play style for it. Be aware of its weaknesses too. The M4 is a little trickier to play really, and need to have good map awareness in a medium tank. It can deliver a lot of damage quickly, and not bad armor. Here is an old vid of mine in the M4 sherm. It is one of the best performances on an M4 found on youtube. Some more damage, some more kills, but I am right up there, and with several valuable medals from the battle too. As an edit- notice a lot of red in my stats? Well, get use to it too for a bit. I am grinding a couple new lines right now, and unskilled crews in stock(ish) tanks will have an impact on your stats- does for most players. Don't worry about it, but use it as a tool to see what are doing both right, and need to improve on.

https://www.youtube....kWKauvmHjg&t=3s

Edited by firekitty, Sep 25 2017 - 16:49.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users