Ranked battles, whats the point now?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Tedsc #1 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 01:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22441 battles

The original concept for ranked battles was good on 2 levels.  If you were an elite player, bragging rights.  If you were an average player it was a chance to be rewarded for YOUR playing ability rather than throwing the dice on what team MM set you up with.  Their is nothing there for me now.  No reward, just more MM frustration.

I just finished a battle in which my entire team saw arty on the board and refused to move out of site of the base.  So what is my motivation here?  Why do I have any incentive to play ranked battles?  I already know I am not an elite player, but I used to be rewarded for playing well in ranked battles, unlike XP or credit awards in pub battles where you can get a 2nd class mastery and still get less XP and credits then the guy AFK on the winning team because MM is just BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

misterwit #2 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 01:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12816 battles
  • [NOKAP] NOKAP

15 tanks is too many to coordinate when you have no voice chat, no command structure, and the goals of the one are not the same as the many.

Random battles are inherently counter-teamwork, it hurts you personally to slow down your damage output and restrict your movements to suit someone else's decisions who in turn might be basing their decisions on yet another teammate's. This is why they don't work at all like clan battles, and why ranked is incredibly stupid. Ranked should be 5v5 or something along those lines, where you won't get instantly vaporized for making decisions that might put you personally in jeopardy in the name of helping the team. Otherwise ranked is just where they put the goldspamming purple people-eaters so they don't devour noobs all day long.

Al_Scarface_Capone_ #3 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 01:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30395 battles
  • [TYPE5] TYPE5

View PostTedsc, on Sep 20 2017 - 17:33, said:

The original concept for ranked battles was good on 2 levels.  If you were an elite player, bragging rights.  If you were an average player it was a chance to be rewarded for YOUR playing ability rather than throwing the dice on what team MM set you up with.  Their is nothing there for me now.  No reward, just more MM frustration.

I just finished a battle in which my entire team saw arty on the board and refused to move out of site of the base.  So what is my motivation here?  Why do I have any incentive to play ranked battles?  I already know I am not an elite player, but I used to be rewarded for playing well in ranked battles, unlike XP or credit awards in pub battles where you can get a 2nd class mastery and still get less XP and credits then the guy AFK on the winning team because MM is just BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranked was intended to bring players back on playing with games with similar skilled players. The failure called skill based MM :sceptic:

Bragging rights? Why do i want a badge at the end of a season when i play pubs just shouts "TARGET ME".

Here's the thing I see about players that are inexperienced in tier 10s, you simply don't know how to play, blame other players calling them noobs with trash vocabulary, worst of all is calling out skilled players using cheats :facepalm:

Don't play tier 10s in general until you can trade efficiently

Edited by Al_Scarface_Capone_, Sep 21 2017 - 01:42.

Nonamanadus #4 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 02:00

Major

• Players
  • 24548 battles
  • [HBG] HBG

View PostTedsc, on Sep 21 2017 - 00:33, said:

I just finished a battle in which my entire team saw arty on the board and refused to move out of site of the base.  

Arty discourages camping............and makes the game more "dynamic". :P

IndygoEEI #5 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 03:51

Major

• Players
  • 49036 battles
  • [GUNS6] GUNS6

View PostAl_Scarface_Capone_, on Sep 20 2017 - 19:41, said:

Ranked was intended to bring players back on playing with games with similar skilled players. The failure called skill based MM :sceptic:

Bragging rights? Why do i want a badge at the end of a season when i play pubs just shouts "TARGET ME".

Here's the thing I see about players that are inexperienced in tier 10s, you simply don't know how to play, blame other players calling them noobs with trash vocabulary, worst of all is calling out skilled players using cheats :facepalm:

Don't play tier 10s in general until you can trade efficiently

That would be valid if the results of Ranked Battles didn't have less then 2 pages of players

with 4 points or more and less then 1 page of players qualified for a league.  Granted it's 2.5

days in, but the results are worrying.  Plus when you see unicums trashing other unicums in

this mode...

7722 #6 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 04:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 21895 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

Their whole system of ranking is broken. You have to reach rank 4 in the first week to even be considered for a league. Then they sub divide all the players who made rank 4 in to the leagues, with 50% of them not making a league.  Then in week 2 you have to have 8 points to even enter the system of ranking, which means you had to make either rank 3 in the previous week and rank 5 in the next week or rank 4 each week... so you bust your butt to make it in and you're at the bottom of the rankings BUT you made the ranking pool bigger so someone else who is higher up now moves up a league. 

Basically, if you don't make at least rank 4 this week with a decent percent chevron received don't even bother with participating further. 

P.S. Why the heck can't we get war bonds from these ranked battles just like we get them for participating in an "all tier X" random battle? Makes ZERO sense.

SGT_Ronson_1 #7 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 05:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 38229 battles
  • [RATP] RATP

not much  of a point to ranked battles anymore,    it is no longer a way to fight your equals,  it is only a mess purely decided by how many sub 600 wn8  window lickers are on your team compared to how many window lickers are on the other team.  

Wargaming took out any personal incentive to do well if you think you team might lose,   so 4k+ damage means almost nothing unless you win.

wargaming you killed this mode with your ineptness

tanopasman62 #8 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 05:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 13800 battles
Considering that you can earn bonds by playing in all tier 10 games (And they want to extend it to tier 9s and for medals like high caliber), there's not so much worth going after in ranked battles.

sittinonatoilet #9 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 06:07

Private

• Players
  • 8802 battles
When will people learn that Competitive Play is not Wargamings forte. 

IndygoEEI #10 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 06:31

Major

• Players
  • 49036 battles
  • [GUNS6] GUNS6

So after I commented in this thread, I took a nap out of frustration and fatigue because

A)  Fighting against a bunch Unicums is just not fun or conducive for a person at my current

skill level.  I"m only at RANK 2 FFS!

B)  There's not enough of a viable and participating population to support this mode on NA

Server (Opinions of it sucking, not enough tier 10 players, ect.)

And finally....

View Posttanopasman62, on Sep 20 2017 - 23:42, said:

Considering that you can earn bonds by playing in all tier 10 games (And they want to extend it to tier 9s and for medals like high caliber), there's not so much worth going after in ranked battles.

View Post7722, on Sep 20 2017 - 22:47, said:

Their whole system of ranking is broken. You have to reach rank 4 in the first week to even be considered for a league. Then they sub divide all the players who made rank 4 in to the leagues, with 50% of them not making a league.  Then in week 2 you have to have 8 points to even enter the system of ranking, which means you had to make either rank 3 in the previous week and rank 5 in the next week or rank 4 each week... so you bust your butt to make it in and you're at the bottom of the rankings BUT you made the ranking pool bigger so someone else who is higher up now moves up a league. 

Basically, if you don't make at least rank 4 this week with a decent percent chevron received don't even bother with participating further. 

P.S. Why the heck can't we get war bonds from these ranked battles just like we get them for participating in an "all tier X" random battle? Makes ZERO sense.

C)  The culling.  The Culling rule has been BS since day one and this time it's worse.

After a good nap and a good think I've decided one thing....

THAT'S IT!  I'M SANDBAGGING TO PROTEST!

It won't be hard to do this time, but at least WG will see a very big number of players who

can't even make it into league.  I wonder why League of Legends Ranked battles do so well

in that community?  Maybe WG should be looking at those guys.

Skeenaman #11 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 06:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33201 battles
  • [TUF] TUF

View Posttanopasman62, on Sep 21 2017 - 05:42, said:

After 3 nights of grinding I just missed rank 3 and had a slide back almost to 1.  It looks like I am SOL for the season.  Hell I'm even seeing super-unicums stuck at rank 2.  If I want bonds I might as well just grind my 20-30 an hour in regular pubs.

Stones62 #12 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 06:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11026 battles
  • [NXGEN] NXGEN

I think the main point was to get folks with tier 10 tanks playing them somewhat regularly as it grinds down credits, gold, and encourages people to spend their money.  To that end, I think they've been somewhat successful.  <$Ca-Ching$>

However, to really encourage folks to keep playing beyond the initial frustration point, they still haven't learned the basics.  I still say that taking earned ranks is a buzz kill for most players and a good way to actually discourage more play.  Also, as has already been pointed out, not giving bonds for the ranked battles as they do for the other all tier 10 battles, is a dis-incentive.

They bill it as a way for people to show how good they are, but any mechanic that focuses on random team success will never reflect personal ability...it just reflects the person's general willingness to grind away lots of hours.  I realize there are some really great players out there and perhaps they should be recognized or given a chance in the spotlight, but as was presented in beta 1, hand out rewards based on individual ability across the whole match independent of team performance.  Rank all 30 players equally against each other on how they played the match and award chevrons accordingly.

wvking #13 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 10:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47718 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

The mode is trash. for a couple of reasons. namely how much time does WG expect you to play? i like the bragging rights but all that does is give you a badge to say im arties [edited]. How many credits do you lose each match? more than a few. not enough chevrons in game. The arty rng and teams just make it super frustrating especially when you almost get to a safe rank then tumble quickly back down.

but then the next weeks ranking are dependent on your previous weeks? especially in regards to being in the better percentiles. With more players dropping out than joining it just makes it to the realm of soul destroying.

Im not going to play any more. enjoy finally able to make some credits in my t8s. all the st10 super heavies seem to have vanished.

Metaled #14 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 10:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17317 battles
Should be obvious by now. It's another shiny fresh carrot to get you to grind tier 10. :medal:

TankFullOfBourbon #15 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 11:41

Major

• Players
  • 21790 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Ranked battles? I am surprised anyone plays it. Another game mode invented to keep the unicums from leaving the game which fails because apples, oranges and tomatos don't like to be unicum snacks. After three games of Grand Battles, I am impressed Ranked Battles is still around.

MacDaddyMatty #16 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 12:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 17541 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Just more "end game" content that many in the community are so giddy about IMHO.

xrays_ #17 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 15:10

Major

• Players
  • 43004 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View PostStones62, on Sep 21 2017 - 00:57, said:

I think the main point was to get folks with tier 10 tanks playing them somewhat regularly as it grinds down credits, gold, and encourages people to spend their money.

That's funny because I've played three nights so far, about 90 minutes each night, without a Premium account... and I've profited 700k credits over that period. Winning a few games, conserving Premium shells and playing smart, all yield profits - even at Tier X. You have to hit the mission rewards each night to help boost your profits!

x.

BeanHoleBandit #18 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 16:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14126 battles

View Postxrays_, on Sep 21 2017 - 15:10, said:

That's funny because I've played three nights so far, about 90 minutes each night, without a Premium account... and I've profited 700k credits over that period. Winning a few games, conserving Premium shells and playing smart, all yield profits - even at Tier X. You have to hit the mission rewards each night to help boost your profits!

x.

I'd say that is over exaggerated considering now it takes 2 hours to make 1 million credits at tier 8 with premium and boosters.. 

But hey its your story tell it how it suits your best.

FastMover702 #19 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 17:09

Private

• Players
  • 10300 battles

Last night was fun. Our team was mostly yellow and orange. Their team was half green with two purples and 5 blues representing the top tiers on the global map. Matching must not take that into account.

Also, if you are an orange player on a team of higher colors, and even if it looks like your team is going to win, if you don't get in the battle early, you will never make the top ten

Panzerr83 #20 Posted Sep 21 2017 - 17:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 33207 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

View PostIndygoEEI, on Sep 21 2017 - 06:31, said:

So after I commented in this thread, I took a nap out of frustration and fatigue because

A)  Fighting against a bunch Unicums is just not fun or conducive for a person at my current

skill level.  I"m only at RANK 2 FFS!

B)  There's not enough of a viable and participating population to support this mode on NA

Server (Opinions of it sucking, not enough tier 10 players, ect.)

And finally....

C)  The culling.  The Culling rule has been BS since day one and this time it's worse.

After a good nap and a good think I've decided one thing....

THAT'S IT!  I'M SANDBAGGING TO PROTEST!

It won't be hard to do this time, but at least WG will see a very big number of players who

can't even make it into league.  I wonder why League of Legends Ranked battles do so well

in that community?  Maybe WG should be looking at those guys.

Darnit now I want to play LoL...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users