churchill churchill i churchill vii black prince

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

FrozenKemp #1 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 16:16

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

This guide is intended to help players to drive and succeed in the Churchill I, Churchill VII, and Black Prince.  Although these tanks are unpopular, and many would say they are bad, people do play them.  Not everyone has the luxury of having enough Free XP to skip past them.

So, if you are going to play through these tanks, what do you need to know and how can you make your grind less painful?  

General tank stats

Mobility: They’re all slow - but you knew that already.  The Black Prince’s acceleration means less time spent getting up to the top speed, though. 

Traverse: hull traverse is lousy on all three tanks, but turret rotation is pretty good.  If you are being circled by an enemy medium or light tank, remember to rotate BOTH in the direction the enemy is circling.

Effective armour:  Rear armour on all three tanks is pretty bad, so if you’re getting shot from behind make sure to do something about it and quickly.  The Churchill VII and Black Prince have much better turret armour so going hull down is more effective with them, although only the Black Prince has good gun depression.  (Still, with the Churchill VII it might be good to put your tank behind available low rocks.)  The Churchill VII and Black Prince have much improved side armour over the Churchill I, which makes sidescraping quite effective.

Guns: these tend to have low alpha but good accuracy.

Recommended Equipment

Churchill I

Choose from Rammer, Vents, Heavy Spall Liner, Toolkit.

There are two guns to consider using on the Churchill I.   The 75mm Vickers HV has very good penetration (145mm or 202mm with premium) and its alpha is reasonable for tier 5, but with it your tank only has -4 degrees gun depression which is pretty bad.

A second option is to stick with the QF 6-pdr Gun Mk V.  Although its alpha is low, and its penetration is average (110 regular, 180 premium), with it you gain good gun depression (9 degrees!) and much better DPM.  This is the gun on the Churchill III premium tank as well.  The problem is that to do much damage, you can’t take cover between shots.

The best thing about the Churchill I are the guns.  Don’t hesitate to stop to take long-range shots at what your allies have lit (unless you’re in the open and can be shot by artillery).  

Churchill VII

Choose from Rammer, Vents, Heavy Spall Liner, Toolkit.

Black Prince

Choose from Rammer, Vents, Vertical Stabilizer, Heavy Spall Liner, Toolkit

Crew skills

Start to work on Sixth Sense for your commander, and repairs for everyone else.

Alternatives:  Consider Snap Shot for a gunner, and Smooth Ride for a driver, to reduce your need to stop to fire.  Note that the Churchill I has TWO gunners, but if you are grinding up the line, this probably isn’t relevant - you’ll have to drop one of the gunners when you switch to the Churchill VII.  In a dedicated Churchill I crew you can split the perks you like between the two gunners. 

Tips

Avoid heavy tanks you can’t deal with.  During the countdown, look to see how many there are - heavy tanks that are two tiers higher, Defenders, etc.  Try to remember on this map where heavy tanks tend to brawl.  Maybe you don’t want to go there, this battle?  Your gun will have a better chance penetrating higher tier medium tanks than heavies. 

Team up with higher tier friendly heavy tanks.

Avoid hills.  The Churchill I and VII have terrible power:weight ratios.  They lose a lot of speed when trying to climb hills.  They also (except for a Churchill I with 6-pounder) have bad gun depression, so you don't want to have to try to fight the enemy from behind the crest of a hill, either.  The Black Prince has more power:weight and gun depression, though. 

Pick your route carefully.  Choose destinations which are achievable rather than long routes better suited to fast vehicles.  Remember that your aim is to get your gun into play and do damage while not getting blown up.

Avoid open areas when you can.  Your tank is slow.  If you think you might get sniped at by a TD, keep cover handy.

Clear obstacles to fire.  While your tank is slow, your shells are not.  If you are trying to get a firing line on a long range target behind an obstacle in the middle, can you travel at 90 degrees to your line of fire to clear the obstacle, instead of having to drive all the way to the obstacle and then around it?

Snipe.  Take long-range firing opportunities whenever they present themselves.

Fire on the move.  The on-the-move gun dispersion of these tanks is, for what it’s worth, pretty good.  At closer ranges against a weakly armoured target, maybe you don't need to stop.  Just keep rolling and firing.

Sometimes leave cleanup to others.  You may occasionally consider leaving the cleanup of that last enemy tank to faster tanks, while you get started towards the next group of enemies.

Be an anchor.  If you feel pinned down by enemy tanks but they can’t get at you either, take a look at the map.  If the tanks on your team on the other side of the map are winning, then try to be patient and wait.  If you tie up multiple tanks, or a higher tier tank, that leaves fewer enemies for the rest of your team to defeat.  You will get your revenge when your allies flank your enemies and you can crush them together. 

Sidescrape in the Churchill VII and Black Prince.

Be patient. 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Oct 01 2017 - 16:17.

FrozenKemp #2 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 16:39

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

This was a very lucky game but also an exercise in "don't give up".

FrozenKemp #3 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

RC_1140 does 2400 damage and blocks 5200 in his Black Prince.  (Much of it long range low pen medium fire)

KingofDragons #4 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 16:54

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 24782 battles
When you start using the word avoid than you know the Tanks are not well rounded ...Avoid not well rounded tanks..

TsarCidron #5 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 17:06

Major

• Players
  • 6882 battles
  • [RAID2] RAID2

They are capable in decent hands. 

Also, you forgot one.  Churchill III - the Russian premium heavy.  Its actually decent (no, not great) for its tier, and is a reasonably good moneymaker and crew trainer.  Play it similar to the Church-1 (as that is what it is, more or less).

FrozenKemp #6 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 17:22

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View PostKingofDragons, on Oct 01 2017 - 10:54, said:

When you start using the word avoid than you know the Tanks are not well rounded ...Avoid not well rounded tanks..

I'm not posting this because "rah rah these tanks are amazing".  The tanks are there in the game, and some folks are going to play them because they want to get to the higher tier vehicles in the line.  It's for them. 

Night1Silver #7 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 17:56

Captain

• Players
  • 43836 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
I take binocs in my churchill 7 instead of spall liner. Mostly cause my teams are to fast and I get left behind, then they die and I can finish things from range.

Night1Silver #8 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 17:58

Captain

• Players
  • 43836 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostTsarCidron, on Oct 01 2017 - 16:06, said:

They are capable in decent hands. 

Also, you forgot one.  Churchill III - the Russian premium heavy.  Its actually decent (no, not great) for its tier, and is a reasonably good moneymaker and crew trainer.  Play it similar to the Church-1 (as that is what it is, more or less).

churchill III > churchill I

Rin_ #9 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 18:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 17710 battles
  • [GSKYO] GSKYO

indoctrinated #10 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 18:25

Major

• Players
  • 20187 battles
One thing you need to be careful of in the Churchill series is you can be shot through the tracks and penetrated for HP damage. Would be great if WG upgunned these tanks (like give the 17-pdr gun to the C7, 20-pdr or 32-pdr to the Black Prince).

9435 #11 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 18:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 147 battles
Wow, I haven't seen this for a few years now. Good job copying others, or were you the original poster of this all those years ago?

Goat_Rodeo #12 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 18:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15281 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

View Post9435, on Oct 01 2017 - 17:47, said:

Wow, I haven't seen this for a few years now. Good job copying others, or were you the original poster of this all those years ago?

Good job trolling skippy, nice fake account. Wow, what a coward. 

FrozenKemp #13 Posted Oct 01 2017 - 20:01

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View Post9435, on Oct 01 2017 - 12:47, said:

I have read comments others have made about the Churchill tanks but I wrote every single word of this without directly referring to any other post.

Bizarre.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users