Thoughts on AC Experimental and Pz. IV Hydrostat?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Cheesehead1964 #1 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 14:18

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4626 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Both are coming up for sale in a few days. I like playing support role in tanks like the Pudel and M10/Panther (and turreted TDs for that matter), and these seem to fit that playing style. Leaning toward AC Ex... Does Pz. IV H have PMM?

NL_Celt #2 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 14:41

Major

• Players
  • 25463 battles

Don't have either but the AC looks very similar to the Firefly, which I have, but with a couple of major differences. Speed greatly improved over the Firefly even if all other mobility features are less. You'll be more flexible. Gun depression is a serious improvement.

DPM and dispersion are close but favour the Firefly, while other gun handling numbers slightly favour the AC, except after fire gun bloom is a good bit better. Turret traverse favours the AC by a bit.

Ten metre extra VR for the Firefly, and a few other lesser stats as well.

AC has more armour in the hull and Firefly more on the turret front (you may get a bounce from a low tier at times, but don't count on it), but basically neither has armour. AC has a much slimmer profile in the hull with turret a little broader, and less tall overall. Probably has bit better camo because of that.

Looks to me the AC would be a better sniper/support tank than the Firefly.

Edited by NL_Celt, Oct 03 2017 - 14:53.

AndrewSledge #3 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 14:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 26630 battles

AC IV Exp isn't fast except downhill, but is adequate otherwise. It does play very much like a support TD. I the Firefly's 17lb gun might have a bit better penetration than the AC IV, but otherwise, they look similar. I have enjoyed playing it.

The Hydrostat does get preferential matchmaking.

moogleslam #4 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 14:53

Major

• Players
  • 30167 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

AC 4 Exp. is a good gun on a bad platform.  Below average armor, and terrible HP/ground resistances making it really sluggish - don't let the top speed deceive you as you'll almost never reach it.  Because of that gun though, yes, it might fit the support role you're looking for.

Haven't played the Hydro.

The_World_Needs_A_Hero #5 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 14:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7082 battles
The one thing the AC-4 has going for it, is most important thing in this game now. A fast firing high pen gun. 239 premium round pen makes you relevant in T8 games. 

roestreyev #6 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 14:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28580 battles
  • [SKORP] SKORP
I play AC4 like a turreted TD. I like it... 

Firemoth #7 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 15:27

Major

• Players
  • 35551 battles
the ac4 is more of a turreted TD than a medium tank.

da_Rock002 #8 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 15:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5459 battles

The AC4 seems to be suited for the same role as the Fury and Rudy, both of which aren't really fast, and both of which suffer a bit because of their sluggishness.    Only problem is the AC4 pig is much slower.   It's got no acceleration and can't even reach it's "top speed" on clear, level ground.    Don't ever get it spotted where you need to reverse to safety.   It's advertised as having 60 top speed.   IIRC it got 46 on a level dirt road in both directions in Team Training when I finally got fed up and wanted to see how bad it was.  

It was the one tank that finally taught me to never trust WG's published specs.

I was looking forward to the Hydro BIGTIME.   Been wanting a decent German T5 medium forever.   Then yesterday I noticed it advertised on the CT boot window and took a look at that advertising.   It's a T5 and you figure they sell for peanuts.   It's listed as 2500 gold in wiki.    WG is selling it as a free tank that comes with 30,500 gold.    :ohmy:      The gold they're selling costs $111.10, and it's the only offer that has the tank.  

Damn, I hope they don't do that here.   In fact, I'd like to see them offer the tank with a zero-cost BIA crew but at a sensible price.     The German lines would really benefit from a fair T5 medium, wouldn't it.      We'll soon see, won't we.  

Edited by da_Rock002, Oct 03 2017 - 15:53.

FrozenKemp #9 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 15:50

Major

• Players
  • 43052 battles
Yeah, don't make the mistake of thinking the AC 4 is a lot quicker than the Firefly.  On a long reposition (across half the map, say) on level ground you may sloooowly gain more speed and get moving faster than Firefly.  But that doesn't apply when you're making quick tactical maneuvers. 

ClydeCooper421 #10 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 16:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 12056 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD

The Ac 4 isn't really like the firefly imo. It turns very slowly and the bloom on the gun is worse (the firefly can mount vstab). 

Firefly is much better for peak-a-booming in brawling places on maps since it has better acceleration and bloom. 

The Ac4 is still fun for what it is. It is, in my opinion, what every premium tank should be—slightly worse than their tech tree counterparts but still competitive and the added bonuses of premiums (crew xp, credits) make up for the downsides. 

I got mine from tank rewards. Would I purchase it if I had to spend real money? No. I'd use my money toward a T-34-85M or Rudy. Both of those tanks are much better. 

zippychippy #11 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 16:12

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13106 battles
  • [B0TS] B0TS
ac4 is great for stronghold as it's pen and rof can take down a o-i in short order

Da_Craw #12 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 17:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 22855 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 03 2017 - 08:47, said:

The AC4 seems to be suited for the same role as the Fury and Rudy, both of which aren't really fast, and both of which suffer a bit because of their sluggishness.    Only problem is the AC4 pig is much slower.   It's got no acceleration and can't even reach it's "top speed" on clear, level ground.    Don't ever get it spotted where you need to reverse to safety.   It's advertised as having 60 top speed.   IIRC it got 46 on a level dirt road in both directions in Team Training when I finally got fed up and wanted to see how bad it was.  

I was looking forward to the Hydro BIGTIME.   Been wanting a decent German T5 medium forever.   Then yesterday I noticed it advertised on the CT boot window and took a look at that advertising.   It's a T5 and you figure they sell for peanuts.   It's listed as 2500 gold in wiki.    WG is selling it as a free tank that comes with 30,500 gold.    :ohmy:      The gold they're selling costs $111.10, and it's the only offer that has the tank.  

Damn, I hope they don't do that here.   In fact, I'd like to see them offer the tank with a zero-cost BIA crew but at a sensible price.     The German lines would really benefit from a fair T5 medium, wouldn't it.      We'll soon see, won't we.  

The AC4 WILL hit its top speed downhill.  It is a pig otherwise, but every once in a while it is shockingly fast.  AC-4 plays nothing like the Rudy and Fury.  They are both jack of all trades.  The AC-4 is pure support.  Stand off and use the gun.  

I know several who have the Hydrostat and nobody particularly loves it.  It is basically unarmored and most tier 4 guns wreck it.  Even with pref MM, the T-25 and the Turan III are far better German Tier 5 mediums.    

WangOnTheLoose #13 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 20:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22073 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostCheesehead1964, on Oct 03 2017 - 08:18, said:

Both are coming up for sale in a few days. I like playing support role in tanks like the Pudel and M10/Panther (and turreted TDs for that matter), and these seem to fit that playing style. Leaning toward AC Ex... Does Pz. IV H have PMM?

If you like support tanks like the Pudel and the M10/Panther the AC4 is the way to go, it has a nice gun and is slow enough to keep you from doing anything too stupid :), its a pretty solid tank in my opinion.  Pz-IV Hydro, yeah its just a panzer IV, its mehhhh but its rare so people think its cool, it isn't.

galspanic #14 Posted Oct 03 2017 - 22:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 24173 battles
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 03 2017 - 06:47, said:

They usually sell the Hydro with a $100 bundle, so don't be surprised when it does show up here like that.  Also, why would you want that tank?  Just looking at the hard stats it's about the same thing as the Pz III K - a total steaming turd.

Gtraxeman #15 Posted Oct 04 2017 - 00:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24830 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Postgalspanic, on Oct 03 2017 - 22:33, said:

They usually sell the Hydro with a $100 bundle, so don't be surprised when it does show up here like that.

Bingo........

The AC4 is worth a 25 dollar or so price tag.....the sticker shock on the hydro is too much for me.

da_Rock002 #16 Posted Oct 04 2017 - 01:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5459 battles

View Postgalspanic, on Oct 03 2017 - 16:33, said:

They usually sell the Hydro with a $100 bundle, so don't be surprised when it does show up here like that.  Also, why would you want that tank?  Just looking at the hard stats it's about the same thing as the Pz III K - a total steaming turd.

Why would anyone want a non-premium tank?    ...like a PzIII K?      One of the 'left behind' tech-tree lumps that has none of the buffs that're coming on new premiums?    So, what's left to choose?      If it's part of a $111.10 bundle, it won't be that one chosen for sure.     With luck, WG won't make it part of Something Nobody Really Wants. 

Truth is, it could be quite a worthwhile item as the German tree could use a T5 crew trainer.   It's got a touch more gun and speed than a Pz III K with the same paper armor.  Unfortunately, it appears to be relatively blind, having about the worst view of the Gr T5 mediums @ 330m.   Now that's a real showstopper for me.   Having discovered what lack of vision does for overall value of most vehicles, it's a real showstopper.    However, if it came with a noskill-BIA crew.......   hhmmmmm        

galspanic #17 Posted Oct 04 2017 - 02:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 24173 battles
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 03 2017 - 16:55, said:

Why would anyone want a non-premium tank?    ...like a PzIII K?      One of the 'left behind' tech-tree lumps that has none of the buffs that're coming on new premiums?    So, what's left to choose?      If it's part of a $111.10 bundle, it won't be that one chosen for sure.     With luck, WG won't make it part of Something Nobody Really Wants. 

Truth is, it could be quite a worthwhile item as the German tree could use a T5 crew trainer.   It's got a touch more gun and speed than a Pz III K with the same paper armor.  Unfortunately, it appears to be relatively blind, having about the worst view of the Gr T5 mediums @ 330m.   Now that's a real showstopper for me.   Having discovered what lack of vision does for overall value of most vehicles, it's a real showstopper.    However, if it came with a noskill-BIA crew.......   hhmmmmm        

The Pz. III K is a premium and I sometimes put my PTA crew in there, but the $20 Black Mutz pretty much mothballed the poor thing.  The Pz. T 25 and Turan are both better than both of these... and that’s not really a gleaming sales pitch.

da_Rock002 #18 Posted Oct 04 2017 - 09:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5459 battles

View Postgalspanic, on Oct 03 2017 - 20:33, said:

The Pz. III K is a premium and I sometimes put my PTA crew in there, but the $20 Black Mutz pretty much mothballed the poor thing.  The Pz. T 25 and Turan are both better than both of these... and that’s not really a gleaming sales pitch.

Why would anyone really want any of the German premiums OR the regulars in the middle tiers?  PzIIIK or T 25.      There really aren't any "gleaming" ones are there.

Da_Craw #19 Posted Oct 04 2017 - 13:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 22855 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 04 2017 - 02:28, said:

Why would anyone really want any of the German premiums OR the regulars in the middle tiers?  PzIIIK or T 25.      There really aren't any "gleaming" ones are there.

Turan is solid.  Great gun gun depression and decent (not great) turret armor make for a good ridgeline fighter.  The Turan has only one real shortfall, lack of ammo.

da_Rock002 #20 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 14:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5459 battles

OK..........  the question is answered about that Hydro.   :ohmy:    :teethhappy:   :D

No foolin'....   A $100 "package"......   for a relatively blind, average speed, thin armored lump?   :facepalm:

It did teach me a valuable lesson.   I really can use a T5 crew premium, and I got one.   It was in mothballs after many months of blowout after blowout, but my Pz T 25 is about as good as WoT's gonna get with German mediums.   The T 25 has 20% better armor, 20% better speed, basically the same gun, and is blind.       It also answered the question, "wonder why you never see a Hydro?"         

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users