• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

WinningWithWarchild #1 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 19:50

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7683 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Howdy Tankers,

I am in desperate need of an education on the appropriateness of shooting #2 rounds in battle.  When I'm in Strongholds with teams that I don't know, many times there is a discussion about a particular Red team player that is shooting "Gold" at us.  The conversation usually starts from the person who is getting crushed and then after they die, they blame "the gold" on their loss.  From my experiences in Strongholds and pub matches, I can see that there is a strong anti-gold sentiment that discourages its use.  I'm trying to understand why this is the case.

Today, I was in my T-34-85M in a game as low tier (most games are) and I was helping shoot a Tier VIII Lowe.  My first shot did nothing so I switched to #2 and helped take this higher tier tank down.  After the game, I get the message "Shooting gold like a noob.  Learn to aim" from that Lowe along with "I've lost all respect for you."  Now, this isn't the first time I've received this type of comment (I couldn't care less about those types of statements) and so I'm not surprised, but what was I supposed to do with a 2 tier higher heavy tank?

Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

WinningWithWarchild

PS - My first in-game purchase was the Chrysler K GF when I started playing a few months ago. That tank requires Gold to pen just about anything, so I load that shell first and will switch out of it either after I fire or if I have time to switch for an appropriate target.  Since I am low tier 75% of the time, I shoot a lot of #2 and even then, it only pens about 50% of the time.  I understand that there's a trade off for having OP armor but still, the gun should be allowed to at least do SOME damage to the front of Tier 9 & 10 tanks with APCR.

CovingtonBear #2 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 19:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 24656 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA
shoot it whenever you want.  people that complain will complain about anything.  when I see a super heavy it get's the gold treatment.

Mamas_Calvin #3 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 19:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 41684 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
The world is full of critics. Leverage the WoT game system in every way that is legal, sustainable, and garners success. Don't worry about how others feel about it.

Mad_Dog_Seabee #4 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10193 battles
  • [-RG--] -RG--

View PostWinningWithWarchild, on Oct 05 2017 - 11:50, said:

Howdy Tankers,

I am in desperate need of an education on the appropriateness of shooting #2 rounds in battle.  When I'm in Strongholds with teams that I don't know, many times there is a discussion about a particular Red team player that is shooting "Gold" at us.  The conversation usually starts from the person who is getting crushed and then after they die, they blame "the gold" on their loss.  From my experiences in Strongholds and pub matches, I can see that there is a strong anti-gold sentiment that discourages its use.  I'm trying to understand why this is the case.

Today, I was in my T-34-85M in a game as low tier (most games are) and I was helping shoot a Tier VIII Lowe.  My first shot did nothing so I switched to #2 and helped take this higher tier tank down.  After the game, I get the message "Shooting gold like a noob.  Learn to aim" from that Lowe along with "I've lost all respect for you."  Now, this isn't the first time I've received this type of comment (I couldn't care less about those types of statements) and so I'm not surprised, but what was I supposed to do with a 2 tier higher heavy tank?

Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

WinningWithWarchild

PS - My first in-game purchase was the Chrysler K GF when I started playing a few months ago. That tank requires Gold to pen just about anything, so I load that shell first and will switch out of it either after I fire or if I have time to switch for an appropriate target.  Since I am low tier 75% of the time, I shoot a lot of #2 and even then, it only pens about 50% of the time.  I understand that there's a trade off for having OP armor but still, the gun should be allowed to at least do SOME damage to the front of Tier 9 & 10 tanks with APCR.

As someone who used to complain about it myself, it comes from the lack of ability to bounce gold rounds on most tanks. Bouncing standard AP and HE is not too difficult as you can angle your armor but most tanks are penned with APCR/HEAT regardless of angling the armor. For example if I angle my AT7, I can bounce shots off the front until they press two where they can pen anywhere on my front. I have realized that this is because the Brit TD line is just underpowered. 

My O-Ni though is one of those tanks where I bounce anything but with the O-I before it, APCR pens no matter what especially with the armor nerf in the latest patch. Players feel it is an unfair advantage because their shots are bouncing off the enemy while the enemy is using "gold" to pen. Most players cannot afford the credit loss to pay for gold rounds, I am still one of those players on most of my tanks, but I no longer complain because I understand it now.

Ak_Lonewolf #5 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27921 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
If I chose to plate an enemy tank in gold rounds... thats my money and choice. Use it whenever you want/need. 

Dogsoldier6 #6 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:05

Major

• Players
  • 53759 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
Sling the gold when needed and ignore the whiners..................

WangOnTheLoose #7 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22073 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

Just chat him back and tell him its ok because his mom still respects you.....

You play the game to have fun shoot as much or as little gold as you want to.

Nudnick #8 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:08

Major

• -Players-
  • 21706 battles
The guys that hate it just don't have enough credits. Claus's video today, had a guy win master in his AT 15 spamming premium, but lost over 30k credits. I'm sure he thought it was worth it.

Opps_killed_U #9 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:13

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 8386 battles

GOLD is for baddies and Noobs, Unless I fire it then it it for skilled shots and PRO's.

signature.png

Nunya_000 #10 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:15

Major

• Players
  • 20726 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

Players will:

upgrade their turrets

upgrade their guns

upgrade their radios

upgrade their engine

and even upgrade their suspension to carry all of this.

But if someone "upgrades" their ammo, they cry like a 5 year old.

p.s. some clans make it pretty much mandatory to fire "gold" during SH.

WinningWithWarchild #11 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:22

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7683 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Just to be clear, I am not looking for validation on my use of gold.  I use it when I think I need it and since I don't have "Intuition" on any of my tanks, MANY a Type 64 has been shot with APCR by me (cuz I was shooting the T-150 first).  If this was Blitz, I'd insta-switch to HE and get 100 dmg per shot if I could.

I'm a grown person and I have a thick skin, so the comments themselves do not affect me or my gameplay - I play to win.  I just feel that there's some sort of history behind this "Gold" hatred that I should know about.  They don't cost gold to shoot just a lot more credits but I get the impression that they did cost gold at some point in time.  I don't always mind the expense, so I shoot a lot of it at times.  I feel like it's appropriate and justified, but just wanted to double check with you folks to make sure I'm not stuck in the "Noob Mentality" because sometimes I find myself 6 inches deep in mud and I don't even realize it.

PS - I love Strongholds and shoot almost nothing but Gold at Tiers 6 and 8.  In Tier 8, all I have is the Chrysler so it's mandatory. At Tier 6, I find it useful for penning all heavies and the turrets/faces of T-34-85Ms (which is the tank I use most).  I've never received a complaint from an opponent after those games, but sometimes I'm a Legionnaire and the team I'm playing for will have a 5 minute dialogue on the other team using gold (or Warpack).  I don't participate in the discussion but will usually throw in the comment, "Is Gold frowned upon in this establishment?" somewhere at the end just to be a smart a__.

Thank you all for your comments so far.  I enjoy learning from this motley crew!

Edited by WinningWithWarchild, Oct 05 2017 - 20:23.

Winterpeger #12 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:27

Captain

• Players
  • 50011 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostNudnick, on Oct 05 2017 - 13:08, said:

The guys that hate it just don't have enough credits. Claus's video today, had a guy win master in his AT 15 spamming premium, but lost over 30k credits. I'm sure he thought it was worth it.

What a load of baloney.  There are players who have plenty of credits who hate the gold/prem spamming going on in pubs.

_Tsavo #13 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:32

Major

• Players
  • 38333 battles

Gold isn't against the rules.  Spamming gold isn't against the rules.

It's your credit, your tank, your shells and it is within the rules set forth by the game.

Do as you please with your own shells.  

Nudnick #14 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 21706 battles

View PostWinterpeger, on Oct 05 2017 - 20:27, said:

What a load of baloney.  There are players who have plenty of credits who hate the gold/prem spamming going on in pubs.

Well sure, but there are also plenty of guys that would use it exclusively if they could afford to. Whatever, it's only going to get worse, that's what WG wants. Buff the armor, spam the premium, spend those credits.

nxp #15 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35925 battles
  • [NEWBI] NEWBI

if APCR didn't lose penetration over distance i would not be shooting HEAT. But the game is designed that way so why should i shoot something that won't pen. 

The whole idea of having a moral high ground by not shooting prem round is really stupid. 

HEAT doesn't mean auto pen. You still have to aim.

If the game is on the line why would i shoot something that gives me less % of penetrating?

RetroMan55 #16 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 72830 battles
  • [DWING] DWING
My simple rule of thumb: If I bounce 3 AP shots, I switch to gold rounds.  If I bounce 3 gold rounds, I blame RNGesus.  If the enemy tank is at less than 100hp I shoot HE.  I only carry 5 gold rounds to avoid spamming or forgetting to change back to AP (except on my Valentine II when hunting B2's).

Doomslinger #17 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:48

Major

• Players
  • 62466 battles
Shoot gold at tanks with thin armor. That always gets them raging.

SilverEaglewing #18 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30618 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
I never get gold spamming noob messages anymoar. Does this mean I'm bad.

Red_Ensign #19 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:52

Major

• Players
  • 6730 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostSilverEaglewing, on Oct 05 2017 - 13:51, said:

I never get gold spamming noob messages anymoar. Does this mean I'm bad.

yes, you're doing it all wrong obviously.

or maybe you're only shooting adults...

Red_Ensign #20 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 20:56

Major

• Players
  • 6730 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postnxp, on Oct 05 2017 - 13:40, said:

If the game is on the line why would i shoot something that gives me less % of penetrating?

my thoughts exactly.

contrary to popular belief, there is no prize for doing things the hard way.  it doesn't make you more manly or anything.  there's only more chance of failing.

Also tagged with Premium Rounds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users