• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

WinningWithWarchild #21 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 21:10

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6905 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostRetroMan55, on Oct 05 2017 - 13:46, said:

My simple rule of thumb: If I bounce 3 AP shots, I switch to gold rounds.  If I bounce 3 gold rounds, I blame RNGesus.  If the enemy tank is at less than 100hp I shoot HE.  I only carry 5 gold rounds to avoid spamming or forgetting to change back to AP (except on my Valentine II when hunting B2's).

You make another good point.  My PzB2 cannot pen many Tier IV tanks (DW2, PzB2, Valentine II, etc.) without APCR.  I carry A LOT of APCR for those situations.

View PostDoomslinger, on Oct 05 2017 - 13:48, said:

Shoot gold at tanks with thin armor. That always gets them raging.

It does.  Earlier this morning, I was shooting at a T-150 with APCR in my T-34-85M but he died right as a Type 64 with 90hp came into the picture. I didn't have time to switch shells, so I killed him with one shot of APCR. MAN was he mad.  I got a very nasty series of messages from him afterwards.  When he was done, I wrote him, "Do you think that I wanted to waste an APCR shell on you when HE would have been cheaper and more effective?"  I never heard back. LOL.

How did he even know I used APCR instead of AP or HE?  Any of my shells would have done the trick.

Grugbug #22 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 21:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20882 battles
I always shoot the best ammo I can afford. Why would I want to put myself at a disadvantage? The "magical" ammo is available to all.

OldFrog75 #23 Posted Oct 05 2017 - 23:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7797 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

General Eisenhower called General Patton into his office for a little pre-battle chat and said,

"George, we have access to better technology, better equipment, better consumables, the resources to train our crews faster, and access to better, more powerful ammo but I don't want you to use any of it because some of the Germans might not like it..."

It's a war game for crying out loud.... :sceptic:

Edited by OldFrog75, Oct 06 2017 - 00:24.

WinningWithWarchild #24 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 00:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6905 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOldFrog75, on Oct 05 2017 - 16:17, said:

General Eisenhower called General Patton into his office for a little pre-battle chat and said,

"George, we have access to better technology, better equipment, better consumables, the ability to train our crews faster, and access to better, more powerful ammo but I don't want you to use any of it because some of the Germans might not like it..."

I like this the best.  Thanks, Sir :honoring:

Nunya_000 #25 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 20700 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostOldFrog75, on Oct 05 2017 - 14:17, said:

"George, we have access to better technology, better equipment, better consumables, the resources to train our crews faster, and access to better, more powerful ammo but I don't want you to use any of it because some of the Germans might not like it..."

Perfect!

8bit_Gamer #26 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 01:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13955 battles

To actually answer the OP's question, there are a few reasons many players dislike premium (gold) ammo. Particularly when 'spammed'.

The first I think is from the beginning. When this new ammunition was first introduced it was available ONLY for gold. This meant you had to pay real currency for an advantage in the game. This is Pay2Win. At this time also premium tanks were expected to perform under average for their tier. These days player are much more forgiving on this...252u and similar premiums have proven this.

Premium ammo is also very often used more as a crutch than a tool. Players who lack the situational awareness and the ability to read the map can simply hit 2 2 and pen the front of an equal tier heavy without having to bother with actually strategy or skill. This to some degree negates a players skill. When looking at two equally skilled players, one who uses premium ammo and one who doesn't, the one who uses premium would have better stats/average performance.

As stated previously not everyone can afford to run premium heavy loadouts and therefore are at a disadvantage when compared to other players who can. This helps to widen the skill gap in the player base and makes average and below average players feel gimped.

You could also argue that it hampers game balance. Trying to balance tanks is difficult enough considering the large roster, but balancing things like armor around 2 separate ammo types in a +2/-2 tier spread is simply ridiculous. When you factor this in, maybe WG isn't doing to bad with tank balance...

Hope this answered your question OP. But as many others have stated, if it's in the game use it. 

Gtraxeman #27 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 01:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24428 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View Post_Tsavo, on Oct 05 2017 - 20:32, said:

Gold isn't against the rules.  Spamming gold isn't against the rules.

It's your credit, your tank, your shells and it is within the rules set forth by the game.

Do as you please with your own shells.  

My sentiments too. Its in the game to use....

the_Deadly_Bulb #28 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 04:42

Major

• Players
  • 18419 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCovingtonBear, on Oct 05 2017 - 10:57, said:

shoot it whenever you want.  people that complain will complain about anything.  when I see a super heavy it get's the gold treatment.

View PostMamas_Calvin, on Oct 05 2017 - 10:58, said:

The world is full of critics. Leverage the WoT game system in every way that is legal, sustainable, and garners success. Don't worry about how others feel about it.

View PostAk_Lonewolf, on Oct 05 2017 - 11:04, said:

If I chose to plate an enemy tank in gold rounds... thats my money and choice. Use it whenever you want/need.

View PostDogsoldier6, on Oct 05 2017 - 11:05, said:

Sling the gold when needed and ignore the whiners..................

View PostWangOnTheLoose, on Oct 05 2017 - 11:07, said:

Just chat him back and tell him its ok because his mom still respects you.....

You play the game to have fun shoot as much or as little gold as you want to.

View PostNunya_000, on Oct 05 2017 - 11:15, said:

Players will:

upgrade their turrets

upgrade their guns

upgrade their radios

upgrade their engine

and even upgrade their suspension to carry all of this.

But if someone "upgrades" their ammo, they cry like a 5 year old.

p.s. some clans make it pretty much mandatory to fire "gold" during SH.

View Post_Tsavo, on Oct 05 2017 - 11:32, said:

Gold isn't against the rules.  Spamming gold isn't against the rules.

It's your credit, your tank, your shells and it is within the rules set forth by the game.

Do as you please with your own shells. 

^

These hit the target. :honoring:

The time to shoot gold is when you feel like it. Dead critics don't count. No matter the side they're on.

They wouldn't be b*tchy if it didn't work!

the_Deadly_Bulb #29 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 04:44

Major

• Players
  • 18419 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostOldFrog75, on Oct 05 2017 - 14:17, said:

This too! Thanks OF75.

Capt_Nixon #30 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 05:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4489 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View PostOldFrog75, on Oct 05 2017 - 16:17, said:

The fate of the free world, hundreds of thousands of lives at stake, resource limitations, strategic considerations, intense economic pressures...

False equivalence much? It's a stupid online multiplayer video game for cryin out loud ... the product is enjoyment, not victory. A debate about specifics that add and detract from that enjoyment is perfectly legitimate and need not be belittled by ridiculous hyperbolic equivalence. 

rusty__shackleford #31 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 05:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 32350 battles

Those that complain...me included...are just cheap bastards. And I have 100,000,000 credits.

OldFrog75 #32 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 12:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7797 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCapt_Nixon, on Oct 06 2017 - 05:25, said:

The fate of the free world, hundreds of thousands of lives at stake, resource limitations, strategic considerations, intense economic pressures...

False equivalence much? It's a stupid online multiplayer video game for cryin out loud ... the product is enjoyment, not victory. A debate about specifics that add and detract from that enjoyment is perfectly legitimate and need not be belittled by ridiculous hyperbolic equivalence. 

STOP!  No Fun Allowed!    :angry:    

"False equivalence..."   "...belittled by ridiculous hyperbolic equivalence..." 

There's one on every blog and Forum.   I guess you're the one.  :trollface:

Edited by OldFrog75, Oct 06 2017 - 12:36.

TRK213_Turkey #33 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 13:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5633 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Lieutenant Ricochet leads the bedraggled remnants of his crew into Regimental Headquarters for debriefing.  In the background tank recovery vehicles drag the still smoking husks of his platoon’s tanks off to the repair depot.

General Confusion:  What happened out there, lieutenant?

Lieutenant Ricochet:  We couldn’t penetrate their armor, sir.

General Confusion :  Those darn R&D pukes guaranteed me that those new armor piercing golden bullets would do the trick!  Did the new rounds misfire, maybe jam the guns or were they just inaccurate?

Lieutenant Ricochet:  Not exactly, sir.

General Confusion :  Well what exactly did happen, lieutenant?

Lieutenant Ricochet:  Ummm, we didn’t fire the new ammo, sir.

General Confusion :  You didn’t use the new ammo…  And why might that be, lieutenant?

Lieutenant Ricochet:  It was the other tankers, sir.  They laughed at us and called us names like “gold spamming wallet warrior noob tomatoes”, sir.  They hurt our feelings, sir, and after that we just couldn’t use the new premium rounds!

General Confusion :  So how did you feel when your tank exploded around you?  How did you feel when the other tanks in your platoon were destroyed?  How did you feel when the enemy turned the flank your dead tanks were supposed to be securing and easily won the battle?  Were your “feelings” hurt then, son?

Lieutenant Ricochet:  Since you put it that way, not using the new ammo to help win doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, sir.  Sorry, sir, it won’t happen again.

General Confusion:  Oh, you are quite right about this not happening again PRIVATE Ricochet.  You have just become the Regiments new Permanent Latrine Orderly.  

Chalybos #34 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 14:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21363 battles

View Postrusty__shackleford, on Oct 05 2017 - 23:47, said:

Those that complain...me included...are just cheap bastards. And I have 100,000,000 credits.

I really need to play my premiums more ... :amazed:

Darkbee2Bee #35 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 14:24

Major

• Players
  • 32028 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

Premium rounds are available to everyone.  People who cry about them like they're some kind of cheat/hack are just clueless.  However, people who fire all premium rounds all of the time are just as clueless but that is their prerogative.

I use them when I need greater guarantees that I won't bounce.  Sometimes bouncing a shot can be fatal, and decides battles.  It makes sense then to swing the odds greater in your favor.

In the case of Strongholds or smaller competitive matches, bouncing shots can be more decisive, since losing tanks has a greater impact on the chances of victory.  That is why people tend to fire more "gold", even if they don't really need to.

Do what you need to do.  Premium rounds are available to everyone.

dunniteowl #36 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 15:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 18533 battles

View PostWinningWithWarchild, on Oct 05 2017 - 19:50, said:

Howdy Tankers,

I am in desperate need of an education on the appropriateness of shooting #2 rounds in battle.  When I'm in Strongholds with teams that I don't know, many times there is a discussion about a particular Red team player that is shooting "Gold" at us.  The conversation usually starts from the person who is getting crushed and then after they die, they blame "the gold" on their loss.  From my experiences in Strongholds and pub matches, I can see that there is a strong anti-gold sentiment that discourages its use.  I'm trying to understand why this is the case.

Today, I was in my T-34-85M in a game as low tier (most games are) and I was helping shoot a Tier VIII Lowe.  My first shot did nothing so I switched to #2 and helped take this higher tier tank down.  After the game, I get the message "Shooting gold like a noob.  Learn to aim" from that Lowe along with "I've lost all respect for you."  Now, this isn't the first time I've received this type of comment (I couldn't care less about those types of statements) and so I'm not surprised, but what was I supposed to do with a 2 tier higher heavy tank?

Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

WinningWithWarchild

PS - My first in-game purchase was the Chrysler K GF when I started playing a few months ago. That tank requires Gold to pen just about anything, so I load that shell first and will switch out of it either after I fire or if I have time to switch for an appropriate target.  Since I am low tier 75% of the time, I shoot a lot of #2 and even then, it only pens about 50% of the time.  I understand that there's a trade off for having OP armor but still, the gun should be allowed to at least do SOME damage to the front of Tier 9 & 10 tanks with APCR.

I haven't read any other responses in order to keep my view untainted by others' good advice...

I rarely resort to punching the #2 button.  I will purposely shoot standard rounds at EVERYTHING first, aiming for obvious weak points like the Drive Sprocket, which can net a track as well as engine, transmission and HP damage.  I aim for the turret ring, because a bounce there might recoil into the turret mantlet or a weak spot around the collar.  I aim for the rear deck of the tank if it's presented, hoping for fire, engine or HP damage.

In the process of doing this, of course, the situation itself is dependent on many conditions.  In some cases, with a well hulled down target, punching #2 is exactly the right course of action.  Other times, honestly, it's best to use standard and give them the impression they are invincible.  Then they can make that mistake and bully you right into a round of APCR loaded and waiting for just that action.

When we battle in these tanks we get focused on what's right in front of us most times.   Learn to rely on your team mates wanting to come out and take on a tracked or damaged/disable high tier unit.  Learn to chat quickly, "Get him --  he's reloading!"  While your team mates are not always going to be able to leverage these sorts of opportunities, you can use it to get out of a bad spot.

When APCR is called for is always a bit situational.  However, you can pretty reliably pen any two tier higher unit along the skirts, flank and other relatively general weak spots that exist on tanks, per se without knowing specific spots on every unit.  In cases where you are comfortably holding a position, maybe even an HE shell lobbed at the right spot can disable a tank you can't pen.  Any time a tank is disabled, there is a chance to flank or pump additional rounds into them.

I hardly resort to APCR until I've bounced at least three standard rounds in different parts of what I can shoot.  Then I will switch to APCR.  I have had plenty of times that making the switch resulted in costing me more credits to no good effect.  Don't spam APCR unless your tank has that as its standard round.  It's just too pricey.  As an FTPP I am 'price conscious' of my efforts and APCR is something I use when nothing else will work for me -- if I live long enough to figure that out, that is.

I'm fairly sure others will provide much more sound reasoning than I.  I just wing most of my actions and do my best to avoid using old number two.

GL, HF & HSYBF

MacDaddyMatty #37 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 16:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 17699 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Use gold.

I do when I need to or think I might need to.

People don't like it because they don't like being shot.

See ya on the field (where I will shoot you with prammo)

:P

WinningWithWarchild #38 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 20:28

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6905 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

LOL.  Thank you all for your responses. I will say that I've enjoyed this thread more than most.

FYI - I started this game with the Chrysler K GF at Tier 8 when I probably shouldn't have.  Because of that starting point, I learned very quickly the importance of aiming at a specific place on a tank, and the absolute necessity for premium ammo.  Even with precision and #2 shells, the gun still won't pen Defender lower plates, just about any VK or Tier X heavies/TD's.  I know that a weak gun is the price I must pay for OP armor.  That tank has also taught me how to be more strategic - especially in regards to relocation.  If I see two T95's and an E3 approaching, I go somewhere else where I can do some good.  However, the 1 out of 10 games where I get to be high tier make the tank worth having.  In those rare instances, the gun pens pretty much consistently, enemy tanks can't pen me if I'm moving and the tank itself is death machine rammer (when going downhill).

Again, thank you all for your input here.  I feel much better about what I'm doing now.

Take care and have some Happy Tanking!

WinningWithWarchild

rusty__shackleford #39 Posted Oct 07 2017 - 02:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 32350 battles

View PostChalybos, on Oct 06 2017 - 13:03, said:

I really need to play my premiums more ... :amazed:

Well at least one, the JT88, is a slot machine, even in a loss. Plus buying and stockpiling equipment and consumables when 50% off helped to limit the need for using extra credits over the past couple of years.

Ace_Destroyer123 #40 Posted Oct 07 2017 - 04:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5198 battles
  • [PIAGO] PIAGO
Use gold depending on the situation. Personally, I try to aim at the weak spots of an enemy vehicle. This USUALLY works, but sometimes, penetrating an enemy tank can be painful. So, use gold responsibly. Use too much and waste it= lose credits Use gold properly=damage and not much credits lost

Also tagged with Premium Rounds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users