skirmish matchmaking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

xtc4 #1 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 15:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20808 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

When I am in credit-earning mode, I will often take out my Cromwell B and catch on with random tier 6 skirmish teams. I often end up with teams comprised of players with lowish personal ratings. I enjoy running with these teams, and this isn't a knock on them. I myself am not god's gift to tanks.

At any rate, I wonder if the strongholds matchmaker -- which, according to my understanding, tries to match teams of roughly equal quality -- ultimately benefits these players. I see skirmish teams do absolutely crazy strategies that would get them wiped out against competent opponents. Yet these teams still mange to win because the matchmaker puts them up against a similar-rated team that does something even crazier. I wonder if players are learning anything from this. Do they end up thinking that their wacky strategies are actually good ideas?

I am thinking that the old days with totally random matches may be better for these guys in the long run. (We all know the joke: Sometimes the seals need to be clubbed. It is educational.)  Or maybe there is a happy medium: Could about half the matches be against random opponents and about half against similar-rated opponents?

What do you think?

OP_XVM_CAMMO_NET_KAPPA #2 Posted Oct 06 2017 - 16:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35119 battles

View Postxtc4, on Oct 06 2017 - 09:21, said:

When I am in credit-earning mode, I will often take out my Cromwell B and catch on with random tier 6 skirmish teams. I often end up with teams comprised of players with lowish personal ratings. I enjoy running with these teams, and this isn't a knock on them. I myself am not god's gift to tanks.

At any rate, I wonder if the strongholds matchmaker -- which, according to my understanding, tries to match teams of roughly equal quality -- ultimately benefits these players. I see skirmish teams do absolutely crazy strategies that would get them wiped out against competent opponents. Yet these teams still mange to win because the matchmaker puts them up against a similar-rated team that does something even crazier. I wonder if players are learning anything from this. Do they end up thinking that their wacky strategies are actually good ideas?

I am thinking that the old days with totally random matches may be better for these guys in the long run. (We all know the joke: Sometimes the seals need to be clubbed. It is educational.)  Or maybe there is a happy medium: Could about half the matches be against random opponents and about half against similar-rated opponents?

What do you think?

well how competent is the MM right now. I was playing with a really red clan (not going to name it) and we played against RELIC,YOUJO, and a few other no name green+ clans. Given we did have other red clans; yet we got raped more times than not due to playing clans that were leagues above this particular clan. So how does it calculate whats "similar-rated"?

xtc4 #3 Posted Oct 07 2017 - 21:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20808 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Am I wrong about mm? Who knows how it works in skirmishes?

dominator_98 #4 Posted Oct 18 2017 - 16:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14038 battles
  • [SCRAM] SCRAM
My old clan, all of us solid orange, beat plenty of top 20 clans. Sure we probably lost more than we won but anyone who had been in the clan for more than a month learned to stop groaning when they saw VILIN or G on the enemy team because they were still beatable.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users