Damaging Enemy Tanks 101

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Ace_Destroyer123 #1 Posted Oct 07 2017 - 05:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles
  • [PIAGO] PIAGO

Picture this, you are in an M3 Lee with the 75mm gun. You see a KV2 approaching you 290 meters away. "That is a juicy target. Alright gunner, give him a present from our mighty gun!" You fire...and what's this? A bounce?! After 6 seconds, your tank blows up. You think "OMG, this guy is cheating!" You wonder why this is happening and how this could have happen.

(Now I am not a pro, just an average player that understands this game very well)

Well it was YOUR fault for making the wrong decisions. You'd be thinking "What?! I'm the best damn player in WoT!!!"  Well your probably not. (sorry for the rudeness) Below is a guide to damage enemy tanks.

Shell Types

In the game, there are four main types of shells: AP, APCR, HEAT, and HE.

AP (Armor Piercing) shells tend to do average penetration and average damage. Used for penetrating armored targets.

APCR (Armor Piercing Composite Rigid) shells have higher velocity (how fast the shell goes) allowing it to have higher penetration than armor piercing rounds. Used for penetrating armored targets.

HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) shells are very slow, yet have decent penetration (more than AP shells) and high damage. Used for penetrating armored targets. DON'T AIM AT THE EXTERNAL MODULES.

HE (High Explosive) shells have a little slower velocity than AP shells and have high damage. Don't expect to penetrate anything with this type of shell. This shell will explode into fragments which inflicts damage to enemy vehicles. Used for finishing off low HP vehicles or lightly armored targets.

Use the shells at the right situation.

Penetrating the Target

Now some new players would say "Oh penetrating enemy tanks is SO easy. Just shoot at the tank and you damage it."

This is not true. Penetrating enemy tanks requires your shell to have a greater penetration than the armor that was hit. For example, an AP shell with 57mm of pen hitting armor from a tank with 50mm of armor will result in penetration. If an AP shell with 145mm of pen hits armor of 220mm, then it results in a bounce. This only applies if you hit the tank at a 90 degree angle.

If a shell hits armor at an angle, the shell would have to penetrate more armor. If an AP or APCR round hits armor at a 70 degree angle, the shell will ricochet. This applies for HEAT when hit at an 80 degree angle. HE shells don't bounce nor ricochet. Note that ricocheted shells can still damage enemy vehicles.

If AP or APCR shells are fired from a gun which caliber is high enough and hits thin armor, the ricochet rule does not apply and therefore, you penetrate.

AP, APCR, and HEAT shells  all normalize, shifting their angle of approach to make penetrating enemy targets easier.

Damage

As stated before, HE shells deal the highest alpha damage, with HEAT being second and AP and APCR being last.

The amount of damage you deal to an enemy tank varies, but it should be around the alpha damage.

Aiming

Now in order to aim, you move the mouse so your gun is pointing at an enemy target. (MAKE SURE IT IS AN ENEMY TARGET. You will see a circle shrinking when you don't move and expanding when you move, move the gun, or fire. The circle tells you that the shell you fired will land in that area. I'm not sure you heard of this, but Wargaming implemented this feature ever since World of Tanks was created. It is called RNG, or Random Number Generator. This is like a die or dice.

Anyways, the size of the circle depends on the dispersion. Basically, the lower the disperison, the more accurate the gun. For example, 0.30 is superior to 0.36, making the gun with 0.30 more accurate than the gun with 0.36.

I know this is short, but try to ignore that. I hope you had a wonderful time reading this guide, cause I didn't since I had to create it. Please, if there is anything to add, add it. I know it is not the best guide. But try to help me improve it. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Ace_Destroyer123, Oct 07 2017 - 05:11.

__Arc__ #2 Posted Oct 07 2017 - 05:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27205 battles
  • [191] 191

View PostAce_Destroyer123, on Oct 06 2017 - 23:08, said:

Now some new players would say "Oh penetrating enemy tanks is SO easy. Just shoot at the tank and you damage it."

Idk... I, personally, remember thinking "WHY CAN'T I PEN ANYTHING?!?! ARRRGGH!!!" when I was new.

Ace_Destroyer123 #3 Posted Oct 07 2017 - 17:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5191 battles
  • [PIAGO] PIAGO
But some new players might have penetrated anything (as long as they don't meet FT Renaults or any vehicles based on that design.)

Saffron_Blaze #4 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 20:56

Private

• -Players-
  • 1290 battles
In using the M4 with the 105, all my HEAT shells bounce even off lower tier tanks, yet the standard AP causes damage, but way less than advertised in the gun details. The odd thing is a the AP shells only have 53 mm of pen while the HEAT have over 100. I have simply stopped using the premium rounds are they are useless with this gun. It seems to me the M4/with the 105 is rather ineffective given the long load time and lack of penetration ability. Perhaps I am missing something.

Worland #5 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 16556 battles

View PostSaffron_Blaze, on Nov 12 2017 - 14:56, said:

In using the M4 with the 105, all my HEAT shells bounce even off lower tier tanks, yet the standard AP causes damage, but way less than advertised in the gun details. The odd thing is a the AP shells only have 53 mm of pen while the HEAT have over 100. I have simply stopped using the premium rounds are they are useless with this gun. It seems to me the M4/with the 105 is rather ineffective given the long load time and lack of penetration ability. Perhaps I am missing something.

Did something change? The M4 never had AP for the 105. The Germans do.

Saffron_Blaze #6 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 01:15

Private

• -Players-
  • 1290 battles

View PostWorland, on Nov 12 2017 - 22:00, said:

Did something change? The M4 never had AP for the 105. The Germans do.

Sorry, I misspoke as it were. I have two options for ammo on the M4 with the 105, HE and HEAT. The latter is completely ineffective. It certainly isn't anti tank.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users