D.W.2 how bad is the tank

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

da_Rock002 #21 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 15:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4935 battles

It's place in the tech tree is excellent as a teaching tool for newbies.    The newbies who  buy it to learn how to play a Heavy, learn instead what to expect from WoT/WG.   I learned in the first battle in the lump not to fight it like a HT when in the first minute of the battle a LT drove up and went nose-to-nose and blew me away.      The LT had thicker front armor and a better gun.

It struck me as an excellent Heavy for newbies to learn about WoT from.

Edited by da_Rock002, Oct 11 2017 - 15:41.

Da_Craw #22 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 16:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostHellsfog, on Oct 08 2017 - 12:02, said:

DW2, being a tier 4 heavy, only gets =/-1 MM. The biggest problem with it in the past was seeing tier 6.  It doesn't have that problem any longer. 

I don't think it ever saw tier 6.  At least since the introduction of other tier 4 heavies, they all have pref MM.

I HATED the DW2 the first time through it.  I later rebought it to see if it was any better with a little game mechanic knowledge.  Now I rather like it.  DPM machine.

The armor is the same thickness all the way around.  Just point a corner at whatever is shooting you for max armor.  That max armor isn't much, around 75mm, but against most 3s and a lot of 4s that is enough.  The 50mm gun is relatively accurate and has insane DPM for tier 4.  The gold ammo will pen everything you face.  Play it front line but with support in tier 4.  In tier 5, support the top tier heavies and don't get shot.  Any time you can engage a distracted enemy, you will shred them.  With a rammer, DPM is nearly 2000.  

Did I mention the DPM?

MacDaddyMatty #23 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 16:52

Major

• -Players-
  • 16578 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostThe_World_Needs_A_Hero, on Oct 08 2017 - 11:41, said:

The DW2 is not as bad as everyone says. If you play the tank right, you can do well in it.

Yup.

I rage-sold the DW2.

Then someone showed me how to play it, and it is a monster.

Da_Craw #24 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 16:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 11 2017 - 08:40, said:

It's place in the tech tree is excellent as a teaching tool for newbies.    The newbies who  buy it to learn how to play a Heavy, learn instead what to expect from WoT/WG.   I learned in the first battle in the lump not to fight it like a HT when in the first minute of the battle a LT drove up and went nose-to-nose and blew me away.      The LT had thicker front armor and a better gun.

It struck me as an excellent Heavy for newbies to learn about WoT from.

Shoot back.  There are exactly 0 light tanks that a DW2 faces that could pull up nose to nose with it and "blow it away."  None have have better armor and gun performance.  A leopard might win that exchange with DPM, but every other light at tier 4 and 5 is too light on HP and DPM.  

TRK213_Turkey #25 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 18:58

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5448 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
I just checked mine and I have a 52% win rate and 1115 win8 so the tank must be fairly good 'cause I'm not that good. You do have to play more like a medium with the crap armor, as others have said... View range isn't too bad for the tier.

da_Rock002 #26 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 22:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4935 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 11 2017 - 10:56, said:

Shoot back.  There are exactly 0 light tanks that a DW2 faces that could pull up nose to nose with it and "blow it away."  None have have better armor and gun performance.  A leopard might win that exchange with DPM, but every other light at tier 4 and 5 is too light on HP and DPM. 

Were you there?   I didn't notice you.

It was almost a year ago and my first Heavy.    What I remember was how hard it was to see anything but houses in all those houses when the Valentine's first shot hit.  When I found him he put the second shot in.   The rest was history.   I made it a point to look a Valentine up right after that battle because I wanted one (another lesson newbies need to learn:  just because they made you look like a newbie doesn't mean their tank is OP).    It blew me away.   At least one of my shots bounced off it's front so I looked that up too.   The "heavy" DW2 has 50/50, the Valentine has 60/65.    Back then it didn't make sense that a "heavy" would have thinner armor than a "light".    I quit driving the DW2 until I could read up on how a light killed me while my shots and armor didn't do spit.        I LEARNED A LOT.  

So you got proof I lied, right?    :P       Actually you don't have squat.  You didn't look past a quick glance for something to prove me wrong.   Or actually to make me look wrong.   :harp:

Da_Craw #27 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 23:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 11 2017 - 15:02, said:

Were you there?   I didn't notice you.

It was almost a year ago and my first Heavy.    What I remember was how hard it was to see anything but houses in all those houses when the Valentine's first shot hit.  When I found him he put the second shot in.   The rest was history.   I made it a point to look a Valentine up right after that battle because I wanted one (another lesson newbies need to learn:  just because they made you look like a newbie doesn't mean their tank is OP).    It blew me away.   At least one of my shots bounced off it's front so I looked that up too.   The "heavy" DW2 has 50/50, the Valentine has 60/65.    Back then it didn't make sense that a "heavy" would have thinner armor than a "light".    I quit driving the DW2 until I could read up on how a light killed me while my shots and armor didn't do spit.        I LEARNED A LOT.  

So you got proof I lied, right?    :P       Actually you don't have squat.  You didn't look past a quick glance for something to prove me wrong.   Or actually to make me look wrong.   :harp:

No, you proved yourself wrong.  You now say the Val shot you from cover first, not that it drove up to you and blew you away. What you actually describe is someone who got beat by a better player, not a better tank.  ANY tank he was in would have defeated you.  You mistakenly blamed the tank, instead of your lack of situational awareness.

Also, the Val's best gun isn't close to the DW2's.  Val = 1400 dpm v. 1750 for the DW2.  Even if you consider the first shot as time 0, the Val would take 18 seconds to finish the DW2 with the 6 pounder. 20 seconds with the 75mm and 15 seconds with the 2 pounder.  The DW2 would take less than 10 seconds to erase the Valentine.  The armor on both of these tanks is crap.  The DW2 pen is 130 with premium, which goes right through a Valentine.  So.  All of your points were wrong.  You disparaged the DW2 and the basis for the disparagement was that you got owned by a Valentine in a nose to nose fight.  But a reasoned examination of the strengths of those two tanks shows that the Val is far inferior in a nose to nose firefight.  It isn't just that you were wrong in your opinion (you were), its that you misrepresented what happened to cover your own poor play and mislead a new player looking for honest advice about the tank.

Red_Ensign #28 Posted Oct 11 2017 - 23:15

Major

• Players
  • 6360 battles

View Postjonj02, on Oct 08 2017 - 10:20, said:

i wanted to gain some of the goodies for the "on track to E100" event

i would like to stay at lower tiers 4-6, cause i dont know any of the weakpoints on many of the  higher tier tanks....also...at higher tier if you are just average like me.....you wont do very well

i would like to work up to tier 7 at about 5000 games...which is a long way off ....

so Aging Jedi says the DW2 is horsedung and possibly the worse tank in the game

im looking for any other feedback on the dw2....cause i play all my tanks at least 200 games and i dont want to spend 200 games in a stinker

if it sucks let me know why

thanks

not sure how it is when it's bottom tier, but all the times I've seen it in battle as top tier it did very very well.

da_Rock002 #29 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 00:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4935 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 11 2017 - 17:11, said:

No, you proved yourself wrong.  You now say the Val shot you from cover first, not that it drove up to you and blew you away. What you actually describe is someone who got beat by a better player, not a better tank.  ANY tank he was in would have defeated you.  You mistakenly blamed the tank, instead of your lack of situational awareness.

Also, the Val's best gun isn't close to the DW2's.  Val = 1400 dpm v. 1750 for the DW2.  Even if you consider the first shot as time 0, the Val would take 18 seconds to finish the DW2 with the 6 pounder. 20 seconds with the 75mm and 15 seconds with the 2 pounder.  The DW2 would take less than 10 seconds to erase the Valentine.  The armor on both of these tanks is crap.  The DW2 pen is 130 with premium, which goes right through a Valentine.  So.  All of your points were wrong.  You disparaged the DW2 and the basis for the disparagement was that you got owned by a Valentine in a nose to nose fight.  But a reasoned examination of the strengths of those two tanks shows that the Val is far inferior in a nose to nose firefight.  It isn't just that you were wrong in your opinion (you were), its that you misrepresented what happened to cover your own poor play and mislead a new player looking for honest advice about the tank.

Don't take a job as a lawyer.

I haven't changed a thing. 

But have fun cross examining.   It's obvious you have forgotten the silly things you thought years ago when you were a newbie.  I'm providing those to connect with other newbies who're considering what is known by many to possibly be the worst "heavy" in the game.       Bottom line is that as a newbie, me and that tank did poorly.    Is that a surprise?    I haven't tried to cover up my play, in fact have clearly described my lousy handling of a tank I mistakenly considered to be a "heavy" and one that I assumed would blow that Light Valentine to teeny tiney bits.    And wound up learning that some heavy tanks really aren't going to "lead the push" worth spit.        You on the other hand seem to have a real agenda going there dude.   Enjoy your night.  

da_Rock002 #30 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 00:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4935 battles
Hey newbies.......    another thing I learned from that misguided experience with the DW2...............   Not only should newbies learn about tank stats before trusting WoT labeling, and not only should newbies LOOK UP those stats before buying, but newbies should also COMPARE possible purchases before buying.     Like the ones vBAddict provides :    http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics.php?tier=4&tanktype=3&nation=0&premium=0&modeid=0&team=0&battles=1000&groupby=0&fieldname=damage_dealt&server=

da_Rock002 #31 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 00:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4935 battles

You might notice that Tier 4 really doesn't offer many Heavies.   And you might also notice that of the 4 that vBAddict has found enough activity to bother working stats for, there really are three of the 4 that aren't exactly OP. 

If you are a newbie interested in that DW2, you might use vBAddict to get a comparison that includes it with Mediums, Lights, TDs etc.     Like this : http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics.php?tier=4&tanktype=0&nation=0&premium=0&modeid=0&team=0&battles=1000&groupby=0&fieldname=damage_ratio&server=

See if you can find the DW2 in that comparison... 

You'll notice the "heavy" DW2 doesn't do very well for a "heavy" in that comparison.   That ranking shows the damage ratio.   Tanks with good armor and guns usually do pretty good.

There are a number of services out there that help you find out for yourself how a potential purchase actually performs.   They certainly save you wading through BS posts that spin off on private agendas.

Edited by da_Rock002, Oct 12 2017 - 00:31.

Red_Ensign #32 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 00:35

Major

• Players
  • 6360 battles
guy with less than 5k battles and horrid performance really likes to argue and throw the word newbie around.  :child:

Da_Craw #33 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 00:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostRed_Ensign, on Oct 11 2017 - 17:35, said:

guy with less than 5k battles and horrid performance really likes to argue and throw the word newbie around.  :child:

Yes, the really funny part of it all is that I AM A LAWYER.  He already lost his case, now he is just whining about it.

View Postda_Rock002, on Oct 11 2017 - 17:04, said:

Don't take a job as a lawyer.  Too late.

I haven't changed a thing.   Except for the part about the light tank beating you nose to nose and having a better gun.

But have fun cross examining.   I did.  You did the forum equivalent of breaking down on the stand and admitting that you lied when confronted with the FACT that there wasn't a single tier 4 or 5 light that could do what you suggested.

It's obvious you have forgotten the silly things you thought years ago when you were a newbie.  Nope, I thought the DW2 sucked the first time through, as I said in my first post.

I'm providing those to connect with other newbies who're considering what is known by many to possibly be the worst "heavy" in the game.      But you do a disservice by lying about the encounter to make the tank look worse.

Bottom line is that as a newbie, me and that tank did poorly.   Not the tank's fault, which was the point of many of the posts in this thread.

Is that a surprise?    I haven't tried to cover up my play, in fact have clearly described my lousy handling of a tank I mistakenly considered to be a "heavy" and one that I assumed would blow that Light Valentine to teeny tiney bits.  You did try to cover up your play, the DW2 IS a heavy and it WILL blow the Valentine to bits.    

And wound up learning that some heavy tanks really aren't going to "lead the push" worth spit.   DW2 leads the push at tier just fine.

You on the other hand seem to have a real agenda going there dude.   Just calling out some BS that misleads in a thread that asked for info.

Enjoy your night.  I am, thanks for the softballs.

Edited by Da_Craw, Oct 12 2017 - 00:51.

Jarms48 #34 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 01:13

Captain

• -Players-
  • 117 battles
It's good at side-scrapping, and has a decent gold round. 

ChekrdDemon #35 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 03:33

Captain

• Players
  • 2647 battles
  • [-DD-] -DD-
1 thing to add: If you dont like the DBW2 and the way it handles, under no circumstances start up the VK3001H without having the 7.5cmL43 gun unlocked. There is nothing more painful running what amounts to a DBW with a few extra HP vs tier 7s...

Red_Ensign #36 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 03:56

Major

• Players
  • 6360 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Oct 11 2017 - 17:50, said:

Yes, the really funny part of it all is that I AM A LAWYER.

hey what do you call 6 lawyers in a submerged arty?  :trollface:

Da_Craw #37 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 04:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
My opponents in my last trial. 

Da_Craw #38 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 04:45

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

2 little kids are talking about their fathers. One says "My dad is a lawyer!"

The other says: "Honest?"

The first thinks for a moment and says:"Naw.  Regular kind."

Edited by Da_Craw, Oct 12 2017 - 04:46.

da_Rock002 #39 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 21:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 4935 battles

What would you consider a blowout?

Since I was researching the players in Bad RolloverStompings, I decided to let WoT/WG help, maybe even show me the score to use.   I've been looking at them for almost a year now.  They had two glaring characteristics.   They were over quickly and the losing team seldom killed many enemy.  In fact, the losing team often didn't damage many of the enemy.    Then I noticed why.    One team often had a bunch of players who normally didn't do much damage.   But it's not simple.   So I didn't decide for a long while.   Then I simply counted up the stats for 6-15, 7-15, and 8-15.    A number of the 8-15 were natural blowouts.   There wasn't the WoT/WG signature skewing in those.    I didn't find any 6-15 stompings where there wasn't skewing.   So I decided to go with 7-15 for my counts.   But truth is, there were only a couple of natural 7-15s.   So when I find one now, I don't include it in my counts.  I really can't remember right now how many months ago I found one of those unique beasts. 

That situation seemed odd until I was part of a couple of WoT/WG signature matchups that didn't blow out.    They didn't because the last men standing on the weak team weren't the arty at the back and bashed bashers on their way down.    The WoT/WG signature was there, but decent/lucky players were there to the finish.   This isn't a simple game.   Oh yeah, those odd ones weren't over quickly either.    When I noticed that, I quit worrying so much about the length as a qualifier.   It is more of an indicator, but not a reliable one. 

jonj02 #40 Posted Oct 13 2017 - 08:49

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2461 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

this thread is derailed...

if anyone has something to say about the dw2 great

otherwise ...this thread should be locked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users