• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

OldFrog75 #61 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 18:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8106 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postcnumartyr, on Dec 07 2017 - 17:56, said:

It's literally impossible to average above 50% win rate for the player base.

It's discounting a large portion of the player base.

I assume by average they mean the Mean, as opposed to the Mode or Median => 1@60% plus 2@45% = 3@50%

osprey147 #62 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 18:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 5608 battles
  • [25CDN] 25CDN

View Postsergeantmine09, on Dec 06 2017 - 15:52, said:

Yellow is bad? Man I thought getting to yellow was a decent milestone for me... 

Lol.  I'm with you there.  These folks that are so hung up on stats need to take a chill pill and realize it is just a game.

SOB_Tenato #63 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 18:53

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19190 battles
Latam Test is so bad at any tier, it is freaking surreal. To add to the bargain is almost a rule that two or more team members will kill eachother after insulting and being insulted in chat removing 2 or 3 guns from an already crippled team. Awful... really

Kaeldian #64 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 19203 battles

Fascinating how this topic is still a thing... even after I've been gone 2 years.

There was a time I chased the purple.  Made me a raging [edited]because so many people inevitably failed to pull their weight in game  And when I realized I became the elitists I used to despise - I uninstalled both this and WoWS and sold a lot of my ingame assets and dismissed crews in an effort to keep me from coming back quickly.  I even went so far as to stop watching videos.... I went into total news blackout of anything Wargaming.  I needed time to sit and reflect on what I had become because I didn't like what I saw.  But I always missed the game...

My soon-to-be adult son just picked up the game.  He's now derping around at tier 2 and enjoying himself mostly.  Led me back to the game.  After 3 days back, I quickly got reminded of all the things about this game that used to frustrate me.  Seems nothing changes.  However, I'm wiser now and know when to put the game down.

You can't let the people around you get to you.  People are going to fail.  All you can do is do your best in your part of the map. 

Mikosah #65 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 18:59

Major

• Players
  • 17520 battles
This wouldn't even be a problem if earnings weren't so viciously penalized for being on the losing side. 

Seth_VonLiopod #66 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 23:06

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10166 battles
Why play WOT if you're not looking to win more/get better?
  • It's shooting each other with long, powerful, noisy guns. Just being a part of that is pretty exciting, win or lose. 
  • The button-clicking speed & coordination requirements are lower than most PvP MMOs. 
  • Visually, this game is really striking versus so many other PvP MMOs. Except Paris. F**k Paris. Paris was pretty. But Paris betrayed me.
  • The community is less toxic than most social online games, plus it's easy to mute.
  • It's historically-based tanks! More appealing than just shooting each other.
  • You're not entirely penalized for losing. And that can even be mitigated.
  • Money and/or time can be used to open new content, not just doing well.

edit: When you die--and us baddies die fast--watching other, better people play is like watching a tank movie. I like tank movies.

Edited by Seth_VonLiopod, Dec 07 2017 - 23:07.

Diomidis #67 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 23:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 24240 battles
  • [AMPED] AMPED

View Postcnumartyr, on Dec 07 2017 - 16:56, said:

It's literally impossible to average above 50% win rate for the player base.

It's discounting a large portion of the player base.

^This. Or more likely the 1st line. I don't care how/why they do the math, it is impossible for the average player to have better WR than 50%.

Every 15 ppl that win in a pub game, there are 15 ppl that lose. EVERY time. The perfect avg WR is 50%, each draw only reduced that.

HunterGamer #68 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 00:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4241 battles

It might be a cause of these things

• Low end computer
  • High ping
  • Disabilities
  • They are younger
  • New to the game
  • Maybe they are old and arent used to gaming
  • or maybe they just suck so bad

I used to play this game on a potato computer, but ever since I got back from my 6 month absence with a new PC I have improved a lot, my wn8 has increased and I have learned more in 600 battles than in my previous 3k or so battles. Still though, I guess my stats don't change quick enough, and even if I make an honest mistake, even a mistake most unicorns do, I instantly get bashed for it. Although I have noticed in my clan there are some people with over 10k battles that still have 48% winrate, and when I toon with them I can see they don't understand anything. I also saw a person who has 18k battles in a tier 1... It's sad, honestly, all that time wasted on a tier 1.

bikebudha1 #69 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 01:01

Major

• Players
  • 22970 battles

View PostDirty_Camel, on Oct 09 2017 - 10:31, said:

The last week has been horrible, Seems like every match I find myself surrounded in the first 3 mins because the entire team has already been wiped out. I installed XVM and it blew my mind how many tomatoes and potatoes there are in each battle, but it explained the reason for terrible gameplay. Where did all the decent players go? Another question that makes me ponder, is, how can a human being play thousands of these simulations over and over and still not grasp basic concepts? Is the human race really this stupid? Logging into WOT turns me from normal into an instant genius in comparison to the player base. Perhaps that's why I still play this game, knowing that I am light years ahead of millions in the common sense department. I hate damage farmers and rarely stray from the front lines, but, after what I have seen with this XVM, there is no other option but to sit in back and use the veggies for bait. If I'm going to be subjected to constant steamroll matches, at least I'm going to rack up some coin and XP in the process.

You have taken the most important first step towards enlightenment.  XVM does a great job of showing what is really happening in terms of team balance.  You are right, the player base is terrible.  It's routine to have only 6-7 good players out of the 30 on BOTH teams, sometimes even less.  What worse is that MM does not care where they end up.  EVERY night I am in multiple battles where I'm the only non-red on my team, or there is some poor shmo on the enemy team who's the only non-red on his team.  Either way, it's not fun.  This game desperately needs to balance skill between games.

-

Also, you are taking the right approach.  You are using XVM as the tool it can be.  Knowing your team is more skilled than the enemy team (or vice versa) is very helpful in allowing you to generate the best possible tactics.

RingZero #70 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 01:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 20305 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
I’m fairly sure that a significant portion of people who play this game is under the influence of some substance such as alcohol or drugs.  Seriously.

SpitYoYoMafia #71 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 01:56

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles
The playerbase is bad and getting worse as better players leave

SpitYoYoMafia #72 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 02:01

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View PostViserion_Dies, on Oct 09 2017 - 14:14, said:

just do like me. uninstall the game once again and see if there is any urge to put it back on.

I played for 200+ games in the past week during the thanksgiving break and as you said my urge to play further has already died

Icon_Charlie #73 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 03:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14184 battles
  • [-DRB-] -DRB-

View PostSpitYoYoMafia, on Dec 07 2017 - 17:01, said:

I played for 200+ games in the past week during the thanksgiving break and as you said my urge to play further has already died

Heh... I feel your pain but I saw the increase of the BS and I just stopped... You can only take so many bots, Lopsided games where most of the upper players on one side and you have no hope in winning... the seal clubbing in lower tiers... and so on.  I closed up my wallet and they so far have lost $500 since the 1st week of Thanksgiving.  I want to spend but I spend where I see value and have fun. 

So where did that money go to?  Well I took up the $909 challenge on what to do with the money that I would have spent on the $909 tank special. 

I'm building a video editing computer with a Ryzen 1800X CPU and a EVGA SuperClocked1050 ti.  With all of the things I want in it that machine it will be close to that number.  Yup... I have the money and so do many others that are willing to pay but,... I'm tired of seeing the bots in game, the tryhards with the cheats, the fanbois talking lip service, and the sudden increase of lopsided games just by placement alone.  

Also I am also suspect on management on their placement of their offices (West Coast).  WHO in the hell decided that they have to be in high rent areas?  Unless you are a multi billion dollar corporation you have NO business to be in those high rent areas. 

SpitYoYoMafia #74 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 03:22

Major

• Players
  • 18349 battles

View PostIcon_Charlie, on Dec 07 2017 - 18:10, said:

Heh... I feel your pain but I saw the increase of the BS and I just stopped... You can only take so many bots, Lopsided games where most of the upper players on one side and you have no hope in winning... the seal clubbing in lower tiers... and so on.  I closed up my wallet and they so far have lost $500 since the 1st week of Thanksgiving.  I want to spend but I spend where I see value and have fun. 

So where did that money go to?  Well I took up the $909 challenge on what to do with the money that I would have spent on the $909 tank special. 

I'm building a video editing computer with a Ryzen 1800X CPU and a EVGA SuperClocked1050 ti.  With all of the things I want in it that machine it will be close to that number.  Yup... I have the money and so do many others that are willing to pay but,... I'm tired of seeing the bots in game, the tryhards with the cheats, the fanbois talking lip service, and the sudden increase of lopsided games just by placement alone.  

Also I am also suspect on management on their placement of their offices (West Coast).  WHO in the hell decided that they have to be in high rent areas?  Unless you are a multi billion dollar corporation you have NO business to be in those high rent areas. 

I actually won most of my games, my problem still lies with RNG and artillery, both of which will likely never be solved.

Some team mates suck but you have to support them regardless, but the teams are undeniably getting worse as more and more good players get fed up with the game punishing them to "level" the playing field.

Edited by SpitYoYoMafia, Dec 08 2017 - 03:52.

Stinkdruese #75 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 03:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 556 battles
Keep in mind that it is a free-to-play game. Of course it attracts all kinds of characters. Actually, a game that has a $900 microtransaction, and where people rush to pay $60 for a pixel tank, maybe the most sane approach is to play it casually.

hllrbrn #76 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 04:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 21843 battles

This is ultimately what it comes down to, WOT is a Team game, yes personal contribution is important and often critical to a win, that is if you care about winning.  

There are two types of players in WOT. 

1) Players that enjoy competition and above all enjoy winning by doing their best and contributing as much as they can to the team effort to accomplish a win. Players like this watch streams, youtube videos, read guides etc. Because they enjoy winning and care about their contribution to the team. That is how they enjoy this game. They tend to have higher than average win rates and generally are abrasive to players in the following category because the players in category 2 do not share the same outlook as players in category 1 and category 2 players directly impact their enjoyment of the game.  

2) Players that don't care about winning "go fishing without bait on the hook" as was said somewhere earlier in this thread. Don't care about getting better and play "how the F I want to STFU noob" don't really care that they are not contributing anything to the team (again STFU I play how i want) and are an overall detriment to team play. Say things like "well looks like i am never going to get better so i will continue to do the same things that got my teeth kicked in last time"  "What part of when i said STFU I play how I want did you not understand?"  "I play how i want and I don't care about the other 14 people on my team. team play is not how I enjoy this game." 

Its a free to play game and there is nothing that says that the player in category 2 is not entitled to play that way if they want, because they are. Complaining is not going to change anything. Getting into a long rant exchange with them is not going to make anyone see the light and change how they play. 

Unfortunately that is the world of World of Tanks right now. Probably has been the entire time as someone told the OP earlier in this thread as you get better your contribution to the team becomes more important. I used to run XVM with the win chance on and had plenty of games where I thought "how the heck did we lose this one we had a 75% chance of winning?"  It was because I was being figured into that win chance and I ended up sucking bad, really bad and we lost. It was me not pulling my weight for the team that pushed that easy win to an quick loss. And I was not and am still not very good but I do take seriously by responsibility as the member of a Team. I have a responsibility to the other 14 players to do my best so if I am not prepared to do that I don't hit the battle button. I go play "Call of Duty" or something along those lines where my mindless entertainment does not impact others. But that's just how i look at it. Again it is a FTP game and people are free to play it how they want. We need every player that we can get right now, most of the issues with the MM are directly a result of low populations for the algorithm to work with. 

PS: XVM win chance is cancer, it you are running XVM win chance turn it off.  

Edited by hllrbrn, Dec 08 2017 - 04:21.

bikebudha1 #77 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 04:39

Major

• Players
  • 22970 battles

View PostIcon_Charlie, on Dec 07 2017 - 18:10, said:

Yeah, it is brutal to see how bad the teams are matched up.  Very tired of losing BEFORE the buzzer starts.  I don't think the teams need to be 100% equal, but when I'm the only non-red on my team - facing a team with many yellow and greens, come on, that sucks the life right out of the game.

View Posthllrbrn, on Dec 07 2017 - 19:19, said:

This is ultimately what it comes down to, WOT is a Team game, yes personal contribution is important and often critical to a win, that is if you care about winning. 

There are two types of players in WOT.

1) Players that enjoy competition and above all enjoy winning by doing their best and contributing as much as they can to the team effort to accomplish a win. Players like this watch streams, youtube videos, read guides etc. Because they enjoy winning and care about their contribution to the team. That is how they enjoy this game. They tend to have higher than average win rates and generally are abrasive to players in the following category because the players in category 2 do not share the same outlook as players in category 1 and category 2 players directly impact their enjoyment of the game. 

2) Players that don't care about winning "go fishing without bait on the hook" as was said somewhere earlier in this thread. Don't care about getting better and play "how the F I want to STFU noob" don't really care that they are not contributing anything to the team (again STFU I play how i want) and are an overall detriment to team play. Say things like "well looks like i am never going to get better so i will continue to do the same things that got my teeth kicked in last time"  "What part of when i said STFU I play how I want did you not understand?"  "I play how i want and I don't care about the other 14 people on my team. team play is not how I enjoy this game."

Its a free to play game and there is nothing that says that the player in category 2 is not entitled to play that way if they want, because they are. Complaining is not going to change anything. Getting into a long rant exchange with them is not going to make anyone see the light and change how they play.

Unfortunately that is the world of World of Tanks right now. Probably has been the entire time as someone told the OP earlier in this thread as you get better your contribution to the team becomes more important. I used to run XVM with the win chance on and had plenty of games where I thought "how the heck did we lose this one we had a 75% chance of winning?"  It was because I was being figured into that win chance and I ended up sucking bad, really bad and we lost. It was me not pulling my weight for the team that pushed that easy win to an quick loss. And I was not and am still not very good but I do take seriously by responsibility as the member of a Team. I have a responsibility to the other 14 players to do my best so if I am not prepared to do that I don't hit the battle button. I go play "Call of Duty" or something along those lines where my mindless entertainment does not impact others. But that's just how i look at it. Again it is a FTP game and people are free to play it how they want. We need every player that we can get right now, most of the issues with the MM are directly a result of low populations for the algorithm to work with.

PS: XVM win chance is cancer, it you are running XVM win chance turn it off. 

I agree with your two categories.  There are two ways to 'mitigate' the problem, and it IS a problem.  First, at least spread the type 2 players across both teams equally.  If there are 20 red players (out of 30), then each team should have about 10.   One team should not have 14 of them.  In other words, skill based mm.

-

The second method is my preferred method.  Make it harder to climb the tier ladder.  Make it so you can't move up a tier unless your win rate, over the last 50-ish battles) is over 50%.

scyorkie #78 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 05:58

Major

• Players
  • 66647 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
Lol @ this category 2 player crying to be carried in yet another thread.

biggb45s #79 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 06:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22901 battles
I work at a casino, you have no idea how stupid the human race is. It only gets worse.

Stinkdruese #80 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 11:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 556 battles

View Postbikebudha1, on Dec 08 2017 - 04:39, said:

The second method is my preferred method.  Make it harder to climb the tier ladder.  Make it so you can't move up a tier unless your win rate, over the last 50-ish battles) is over 50%.

The problem is that it would most likely break the business model, unless WG finds more ways to milk more money out of their existing player base. Imagine what it would be like for a noob to be locked into the lower tiers. Mittengard, Mines and Himmelsdorf all day in the company of fellow noobs and trolls. It seems that the game has problems attracting new players as it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users