Mentoring program?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Reddeath #1 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 16:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 454 battles

Hello everyone, I never really got into this game mainly because of real life problems. But now that I don`t have that stopping me I am back to play again. I was wondering if there IS a mentoring program?  for us returning or new players I remember way back when there was people used there invite codes to welcome back old and new players and helped them by platooning with them. Teaching them how not to be that guy that trolls everyone in game and ruins it of course I really haven`t played much as of recent so I have no idea what it`s like now in game.

I mostly will be playing at night everyday 9 pm till 1am EST

Hope to see you all out there:justwait:

Desert_Fox_1969 #2 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 16:41

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19564 battles
  • [TAC-D] TAC-D
Join a Clan to toon with people. 

Lonewolfpj #3 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 16:41

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3077 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Well come and hang out with us. Use the team speak info at the bottom of this post. We do training events each week and we are really laid back. You don’t have to join anything just come and learn from some people who have been playing for a while.

Unsacred #4 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 17:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17578 battles

View PostReddeath, on Oct 10 2017 - 10:35, said:

Hello everyone, I never really got into this game mainly because of real life problems. But now that I don`t have that stopping me I am back to play again. I was wondering if there IS a mentoring program?  for us returning or new players I remember way back when there was people used there invite codes to welcome back old and new players and helped them by platooning with them. Teaching them how not to be that guy that trolls everyone in game and ruins it of course I really haven`t played much as of recent so I have no idea what it`s like now in game.

Welcome back as for the mentoring program there was one but I think it`s closed as for invite codes not many people like giving those out due to the fact you have to platoon with them all the time to receive any bonus what so ever and if the player is an idiot then it makes you look bad and your winrate suffers  the reward tank isn`t all that good so I have heard. 

dunniteowl #5 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 17:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 18806 battles

View PostReddeath, on Oct 10 2017 - 16:35, said:

I am unable to mentor for various reasons.  In lieu of that, I offer these links:

Crew -- Global Wiki (Learn how Crew Progression Works, Crew Skills/Perks, Retraining, etc.)

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki (Specifically: Vision & Spotting; Armor & Penetration; Cover & Concealment)

Zeven's Replay Reviews (Best transmitter of information I've ever seen -- EVER)

WoT Academy (Sign up, watch videos, get a free tank/crew/garage slot -- worth it.  If you have the tank, get gold instead)

I will offer my "Zen Gamer" Advice for when things get challenging, overly exciting, upsetting, etc. to make your gaming more consistent and enjoyable:

Let go of blame of anything in the game.  When you blame, you are focused on things outside of your control as if that thing were controlling you.  This is not true unless you are tied down and some guy has the hot pincers next to your nose.

I call blame:

The Trifecta Thief of Success

1) Blame steals your Drive:  When you blame outside things for your situation, you give yourself a "get out of effort, Free" card, because, "there's nothing YOU can do, it's THEIR fault," so you don't have to try any more.  It steals your drive to succeed.

2) Blame Steals Your Attention:  When you are blaming your team mates, Seal Clubbers, Prammo Spammers, etc., you are not focused on the game and what you are supposed to be doing.  You lose situational awareness and gaming focus.  It steals your attention.

3) Blame Steals Your Joy:  When you are mad at the game mechanics, the results of a match, the actions of your team mates, you are NOT HAVING FUN!!!  The moment you lay blame and focus on that, you are no longer enjoying the game.  It steals your joy.

When you find yourself casting blame, getting too excited, mad at a gamer say:  Stop that.  You don't have time.  Focus.

Use that to get your head straight and focused on playing.  Just keep at it.  It does help, I promise.

And the advice I got here on the forums from several very good players:

1) Attempt to do at least 1.5x your HP in damage every match, no matter what tier/class/unit you are playing.

2) Do not get out and trade shot for shot.  Keep cover, be patient and know when to press.

3) Pay attention to the mini-map!  Knowing what's going on is the key to acting instead of reacting.

The Mantra:

Survive (if you are not alive you cannot)

Do Damage (if you are not doing this you not going to)

Help Your Team (without team work you will not)

WIN(?)

If you see me online and in game, send a platoon request.  I do not platoon outside of matches.  My computer/connection is very rurally wirelessly unreliable and so do not feel it fair to anyone not already stuck with me in a match should I get disconnected, lagged or frozen, because a bird flew by or it started raining.

Enjoy the game and focus on the things that make it fun and engaging.  Beyond all the above, I hope that helps you at all and

WELCOME BACK

to the Madness that is World of Tanks!

cartires #6 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 17:46

Captain

• Players
  • 35532 battles
Reddit offers one, "help a tomato" wot labs used to have one. Failing that ask for in game help.

Silversound #7 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 17:47

Major

• Players
  • 35658 battles
  • [GUNS] GUNS
D-Day, HHOUR

ShookYang #8 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 18:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8623 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

Check out M-I-T for training and mentoring.

http://m--m.enjin.com/

Reddeath #9 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 19:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 454 battles

View Postcartires, on Oct 10 2017 - 11:46, said:

Reddit offers one, "help a tomato" wot labs used to have one. Failing that ask for in game help.

​checked out the reddit one it seems to be just for console players. wotlabs post are old like few months old but will try as for asking for help that's why I am here

Reddeath #10 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 19:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 454 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Oct 10 2017 - 11:37, said:

I am unable to mentor for various reasons.  In lieu of that, I offer these links:

Crew -- Global Wiki (Learn how Crew Progression Works, Crew Skills/Perks, Retraining, etc.)

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki (Specifically: Vision & Spotting; Armor & Penetration; Cover & Concealment)

Zeven's Replay Reviews (Best transmitter of information I've ever seen -- EVER)

WoT Academy (Sign up, watch videos, get a free tank/crew/garage slot -- worth it.  If you have the tank, get gold instead)

I will offer my "Zen Gamer" Advice for when things get challenging, overly exciting, upsetting, etc. to make your gaming more consistent and enjoyable:

Let go of blame of anything in the game.  When you blame, you are focused on things outside of your control as if that thing were controlling you.  This is not true unless you are tied down and some guy has the hot pincers next to your nose.

I call blame:

The Trifecta Thief of Success

1) Blame steals your Drive:  When you blame outside things for your situation, you give yourself a "get out of effort, Free" card, because, "there's nothing YOU can do, it's THEIR fault," so you don't have to try any more.  It steals your drive to succeed.

2) Blame Steals Your Attention:  When you are blaming your team mates, Seal Clubbers, Prammo Spammers, etc., you are not focused on the game and what you are supposed to be doing.  You lose situational awareness and gaming focus.  It steals your attention.

3) Blame Steals Your Joy:  When you are mad at the game mechanics, the results of a match, the actions of your team mates, you are NOT HAVING FUN!!!  The moment you lay blame and focus on that, you are no longer enjoying the game.  It steals your joy.

When you find yourself casting blame, getting too excited, mad at a gamer say:  Stop that.  You don't have time.  Focus.

Use that to get your head straight and focused on playing.  Just keep at it.  It does help, I promise.

And the advice I got here on the forums from several very good players:

1) Attempt to do at least 1.5x your HP in damage every match, no matter what tier/class/unit you are playing.

2) Do not get out and trade shot for shot.  Keep cover, be patient and know when to press.

3) Pay attention to the mini-map!  Knowing what's going on is the key to acting instead of reacting.

The Mantra:

Survive (if you are not alive you cannot)

Do Damage (if you are not doing this you not going to)

Help Your Team (without team work you will not)

WIN(?)

If you see me online and in game, send a platoon request.  I do not platoon outside of matches.  My computer/connection is very rurally wirelessly unreliable and so do not feel it fair to anyone not already stuck with me in a match should I get disconnected, lagged or frozen, because a bird flew by or it started raining.

Enjoy the game and focus on the things that make it fun and engaging.  Beyond all the above, I hope that helps you at all and

WELCOME BACK

to the Madness that is World of Tanks!

Thanks 

Reddeath #11 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 19:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 454 battles

View PostSilversound, on Oct 10 2017 - 11:47, said:

D-Day, HHOUR

View PostShookYang, on Oct 10 2017 - 12:40, said:

Check out M-I-T for training and mentoring.

http://m--m.enjin.com/

Will check them out after work

Sgt__Guffy #12 Posted Oct 10 2017 - 19:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1868 battles

View PostReddeath, on Oct 10 2017 - 09:35, said:

Mentoring is wishful thinking. It is down to you and you alone. You may, by joining a clan, platoon, but have care who you platoon with.

Play with better players if you can and learn from them, if you can. Not everyone's play-styles are the same, and choice of vehicles to suit your play-style is important. So getting a platoon where you play in similar vehicles and play regularly together is helpful. Platoons where players go off and do their own thing is not.

I am the exception rather than the rule, more on that later. Generally players are anxious to get up the tiers as quickly as possible and seek instant gratification. Players can and do use free XP to skip onerous grinds. Everyone is different and everyone has different expectations. Those who have too high expectations are usually there ones who come onto the forum to vent their frustrations.

This game benefits from players who use common sense and are realistic about their expectations. Very few players will be super unicum, obviously, though you would not think that reading a lot of diatribe on the forum!

In any pond there is a bigger fish. Long ago I came to the conclusion there will be players who can outwit me, shoot better, manoeuvre better, have better situational awareness. The secret of getting good is to be in the right place at the right time. Easier said than done I assure you! 

As you progress, you may want to consider playing something like Team Battles. You need to have tier eight vehicles and good tier six vehicles. Most clans have a night when they like to play team battles, usually on a Friday. If you aspire to play upper tiers you will find Team battles are beneficial. You have to learn to do as you are told. There is discipline in Team Battles you will never have in random play.  Personally I am too much of a maverick to play team battles and you need to be good heavy tank player. I am not a natural heavy tank player. There is a limit to what you can learn in random battles. Team battles are a good stepping stone to help you master the upper tier vehicles. So this is probably the nearest to mentoring you will get.

So why am I the exception rather than the rule? Well I started a few years ago and I was totally clueless. I had little experience about shoot 'em ups. Such experience does help. I played tactical games, so that element when I started playing WOT appealed to me. It is inevitable that players with a shoot 'em up background, quick reactions and a sharp eye will run circles around me, and this is proven to be the case. As you get older your reactions are slower anyway. So success, as in any game, is dependent on your game playing experience and background.

I'm an average joe and will remain an average joe.

When I first started playing I would drive around in my little MS1 looking, going "OO AHH" at the buildings and scenery, which I thought was amazing. I had never seen such detail and I thought the graphics in the game were wonderful. I knew little about how to play the game other than the tutorial. So being let loose amongst little vehicles whizzing about shooting at me was a sharp learning curve. The one thing I did learn quickly was to right click the mouse and ghost other vehicles. I usually ghosted until, the battle was over. I still do it now. I learned more from that than anything else. Not only how to play, but how not to play!

The thought of moving up the tiers was scary to me. I thought that learning to shoot straight, getting to know everything about the maps and working out why players were better than me essential to learn before moving up to tier two and three. I played about 1500 games in the little MS1. I loved that little tank so much! A sad day when I parted with it. I ended up accumulating over 20,000 free XP which I had no idea what it was used for! My crew had three skills each. I did know what crew skills were! In my early games I camped and snipped a lot.  It was mainly lack of confidence, to the point I would find a place and hide! That got boring after a while and I went completely the opposite, YOLOing  everywhere, with wanton daring do. Ironically I found that more beneficial as I got into the battle. I still snipped and that taught me to learn to shoot straight, shooting at distance. which helped me notch up quite a few kills. I did have some great battles and found it hugely entertaining. But eventually the other tiers beckoned and I decided to take the plunge. 

On tier 2 the T18 was very popular. I tend to buck the trend when it comes to vehicle popularity. I tended to favour the Panzerjager1, which for a sniper was excellent.  It was inevitable to follow the Russian tier as they were better equipped to tolerate mistakes. But as accuracy was a major preference I went in search of vehicles with accurate guns. 

Grinding was a chore, as you have vehicles to which you are totally unsuited. However, I recommend grinding as it helps you learn about the vehicle, both from the point of view of playing it, but also playing against it! It also gives you an opportunity to bring on the crew skills. I have invested a lot of gold in crews, it is very expensive, but it is a shock when you play a crew low on training and skills!

Well I hope this epistle helps someone. It is not necessarily a road to success and becoming a unicum, but I like to think I'm a good average player who can contribute something when I play the game.

This game is all about entertainment, though when reading some threads in the forum you do begin to wonder. Patience is a virtue, so is a sense of fair play. Most of all, you need to be armed with common sense which is a rare commodity in this game!

I find players can be put into categories, ones who play the statistics and ones to play the game. As time goes on you will come to recognise neither player is wrong doing what they do and you will fall  into one of the two categories. 

Good luck with your endeavours.

Have fun.

Guffy.

Edited by Sgt__Guffy, Oct 10 2017 - 19:46.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users