New Players - Take a Deep Breath and Carry On

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

JakStraw #21 Posted Oct 23 2017 - 19:10

Private

• -Players-
  • 42 battles

View PostDevils_Toybox, on Oct 23 2017 - 09:17, said:

Well I made it all the way to tier 4 and uninstalled tonight.

I also played a couple of days and uninstalled today. 

I found the path from knowing zero to being able to be a useful player in the Random Battles at low tiers to be too much trouble to sort out, and I am the kind of person that likes reading guides and watching videos. I can spend as much money as I want on games, but was reluctant to give money to this company when it seems they don't really care to try to help new players figure out what is going on, and I'm glad I didn't.

ethics_gradient #22 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 17:12

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostJakStraw, on Oct 23 2017 - 13:10, said:

I also played a couple of days and uninstalled today.

I found the path from knowing zero to being able to be a useful player in the Random Battles at low tiers to be too much trouble to sort out, and I am the kind of person that likes reading guides and watching videos. I can spend as much money as I want on games, but was reluctant to give money to this company when it seems they don't really care to try to help new players figure out what is going on, and I'm glad I didn't.

That's too bad.  This game has a lot of depth (though it has been substantially dumbed down since its inception), that rewards learning the game mechanics, the tanks, and the maps.

Capt_Nixon #23 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 18:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10885 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View Postethics_gradient, on Oct 24 2017 - 10:12, said:

That's too bad.  This game has a lot of depth (though it has been substantially dumbed down since its inception), that rewards learning the game mechanics, the tanks, and the maps.

​Unfortunately the rewards of exploring that depth are offset by the penalties of horrible matchmaking, seal clubbing, and a pervasive anti-newbie stat-focused culture that pervades the entire fabric of the game.

ethics_gradient #24 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 18:43

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostCapt_Nixon, on Oct 24 2017 - 12:37, said:

​Unfortunately the rewards of exploring that depth are offset by the penalties of horrible matchmaking, seal clubbing, and a pervasive anti-newbie stat-focused culture that pervades the entire fabric of the game.

I would suggest new players to remove the stat tracker as their signature, and not worry so much about stats for a while.

Yeah, the atmosphere in the game can be too much sometimes.

Capt_Nixon #25 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 19:18

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10885 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View Postethics_gradient, on Oct 24 2017 - 11:43, said:

I would suggest new players to remove the stat tracker as their signature, and not worry so much about stats for a while.

​It's not the stats themselves ... stats, after all, are a useful measuring stick for determining progress, shortcomings, etc, and areas for improvement, for newbie and vet alike.

The problem is the stat culture. Stats in WoT are "worn" like ribbons and badges on a general's chest, and 'assigned' like a stencil on a prisoner's uniform. Tomato? Then you are unworthy of opinion, incapable of contributing to discussions, and a liability to your teammates and should just go away. Unicum? Then you are God on a Battlefield ... all hail the almighty and glorious Unicum Caesar.

And so you get legions of players who simply cannot maintain decent stats above Tier V in order to wear said ribbons of glory, so they fight thousands of battles in their elite M2 Lights, platooning with other thousand-battle vets in M2 Lights, swarming the map in a couple minutes racking up kills of new players and boosting their otherwise unimpressive win rates and destroying the game experience and learning opportunities for everyone else in the process. Not to mention the re-rolls, who start over with 8 Tier I and Tier II tanks and spend a few thousand battles using their previous experience to club seals, establishing an impressive stat base on their fresh path to the respect they so desperately crave and perceived as unattainable with their first account.

I don't blame anyone for uninstalling ... the point of a game is entertainment. But the WoT culture significantly reduces the fun factor for new players, and cultivates enormous frustration instead.

Edited by Capt_Nixon, Oct 24 2017 - 19:19.

Cheesehead1964 #26 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 19:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 6731 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCapt_Nixon, on Oct 24 2017 - 18:37, said:

And a pervasive anti-newbie stat-focused culture that pervades the entire fabric of the game.

View Postethics_gradient, on Oct 24 2017 - 18:43, said:

This has almost killed the game for me. I've rage uninstalled three times. But I really enjoyed the game so I stuck with it.

Many people in this forum have said that it takes 4,000-5,000 games to really get a feel for the game. I've stayed with it and it's finally really starting to click at the 4,000 game mark.

Edited by Cheesehead1964, Oct 24 2017 - 19:33.

ethics_gradient #27 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 22:20

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

View PostCheesehead1964, on Oct 24 2017 - 13:32, said:

This has almost killed the game for me. I've rage uninstalled three times. But I really enjoyed the game so I stuck with it.

Many people in this forum have said that it takes 4,000-5,000 games to really get a feel for the game. I've stayed with it and it's finally really starting to click at the 4,000 game mark.

That's about right.  It took me about 5k battles to kind of figure out the basics of the game.  It can be shortened if you're in a clan with a mentor.  It probably took another 5k battles to become proficient, and another 10k battles to become reasonably decent.  There are still many players out there who are a lot better than me.  So yes, it takes a lot of time.

ethics_gradient #28 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 17:07

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES
bump

JustDontShoot #29 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 21:15

Private

• -Players-
  • 68 battles
The bell curve in WOT is very flat with a few massive spikes in the middle. Most players are somewhere between a 40% and 50% win rate but a few make up the big spikes hovering around the high 50's to an unbelievable 60+%. Think something is wrong?

Capt_Nixon #30 Posted Jan 11 2018 - 22:07

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10885 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View PostJustDontShoot, on Jan 11 2018 - 14:15, said:

The bell curve in WOT is very flat with a few massive spikes in the middle. Most players are somewhere between a 40% and 50% win rate but a few make up the big spikes hovering around the high 50's to an unbelievable 60+%. Think something is wrong?

​I think it makes sense actually. The vast majority of players are just typical online multiplayer gamers who want to drive and shoot stuff for fun. They're not gonna care about win rate, map strategy, team deployment, etc., or self-improvement in any of those areas.  Then you have those that want more out of the experience and want to improve ... a vast majority of them will quit along the way because the learning curve is so steep, the game is so frustrating (Tier 6 anyone?) and the time commitment to improvement is so significant, while the remainder will in fact become students of the game and excellent players who can carry teams and thus achieve those win rates above 57%.

ethics_gradient #31 Posted Jan 17 2018 - 19:26

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES
From the various charts I've seen, the vast majority of players are properly in the middle of the curve in terms of win rate.  The average win rate is around 48-50%, which is about right.  It forms the typical bell curve.

ethics_gradient #32 Posted Feb 28 2018 - 22:28

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES
bump

_big_bad #33 Posted Mar 01 2018 - 06:41

Private

• -Players-
  • 769 battles
  • [BOSS-] BOSS-

I am new I understand there are a lot better players than me. it seems 50% of the time that match maker will put me fighting 2 levels above me this I don't understand. there will be 16k players online my tier 4 fighting tier 6's. I can shoot them 10 times 2 or 3 might hit and they turn and one shot me. to me this isn't testing my skills. I know out of 16k players there are 30 tier 4 playing. I would rather fight someone my tier no matter what their skill level or what tank they are in at least I will have a chance to kill them. Instead of hearing that one didn't go thought, we didn't penetrate their armor, that one bounced. can someone tell me why they do this

Capt_Nixon #34 Posted Mar 01 2018 - 06:53

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10885 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View Post_big_bad, on Feb 28 2018 - 23:41, said:

I am new I understand there are a lot better players than me. it seems 50% of the time that match maker will put me fighting 2 levels above me this I don't understand. there will be 16k players online my tier 4 fighting tier 6's. I can shoot them 10 times 2 or 3 might hit and they turn and one shot me. to me this isn't testing my skills. I know out of 16k players there are 30 tier 4 playing. I would rather fight someone my tier no matter what their skill level or what tank they are in at least I will have a chance to kill them. Instead of hearing that one didn't go thought, we didn't penetrate their armor, that one bounced. can someone tell me why they do this

​Load times. It is quicker to load battles with mixes of tiers than to try and balance same-tier teams which results in much longer wait times between battles.

Edited by Capt_Nixon, Mar 01 2018 - 06:54.

ethics_gradient #35 Posted Mar 01 2018 - 16:00

Captain

• Players
  • 36075 battles
  • [FADES] FADES

One of the features of this game is that it consists of many relatively short battles.  So if you're in a battle that is unbalanced, you only lose a few minutes of your time.  The second factor is that WoT needs to give players an incentive to move up the ranks.  There's nothing like getting one-shot by a tank two tiers higher to make someone say, "I want one of those tanks."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users