new HD maps and graphics engine for update 9.20.1

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

3025_griffin #1 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 15:46

Private

• -Players-
  • 28105 battles
  • [656TH] 656TH

I appreciate all the effort gone forward to upgrade current maps to HD. 

But, i may not speak for all the WOT gaming community. But i do assure you i do speak for a good percentage of regular players. That having HD maps is all fine and dandy for Aesthetic purposes.But WE as players would like more actual maps.Not maps were you change the CAP areas and deployment zones and call them new maps.I mean it gets and has gotten quite stagnant playing the same maps over and over and over again.Instead of coming out with more OP premium tanks. spend some time on what the player base wants. We want more maps.If you can create a more varied amount of maps.It would in turn create more reason for players to stay and play the game then getting tired of the same old maps and just outright quit playing WOT all together.

Examples of possible scenario maps for Armored engagements:
       Bastogne
       Dunkirk
       Berlin
       Moscow ( historicly the wehrmacht made it to the outskirts)
       Anzio 
       Tobruk 
       El Alamein
       Kasserine Pass

To name just a few known historical engagements sights

3025_griffin

CapnNoahJoJo03 #2 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 15:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9620 battles
  • [CEASS] CEASS
For the love of Pete for the last damn time, they have been working on HD, as soon as they finish making all maps HD, we will get new maps. We needed HD, as much as more maps.

Nazarene_1 #3 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 15:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14895 battles

View Post3025_griffin, on Oct 12 2017 - 06:46, said:

I appreciate all the effort gone forward to upgrade current maps to HD. 

But, i may not speak for all the WOT gaming community. But i do assure you i do speak for a good percentage of regular players. That having HD maps is all fine and dandy for Aesthetic purposes.But WE as players would like more actual maps.Not maps were you change the CAP areas and deployment zones and call them new maps.I mean it gets and has gotten quite stagnant playing the same maps over and over and over again.Instead of coming out with more OP premium tanks. spend some time on what the player base wants. We want more maps.If you can create a more varied amount of maps.It would in turn create more reason for players to stay and play the game then getting tired of the same old maps and just outright quit playing WOT all together.

Examples of possible scenario maps for Armored engagements:
       Bastogne
       Dunkirk
       Berlin
       Moscow ( historicly the wehrmacht made it to the outskirts)
       Anzio 
       Tobruk 
       El Alamein
       Kasserine Pass

To name just a few known historical engagements sights

3025_griffin

+1 this.

Darkbee2Bee #4 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 15:56

Major

• Players
  • 31462 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
I don't think the HD maps and graphics engine are coming in 9.20.1, they are still months away, but I could be mistaken.

Awestryker #5 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 15:59

Major

• Players
  • 22946 battles

View PostCapnNoahJoJo03, on Oct 12 2017 - 09:49, said:

For the love of Pete for the last damn time, they have been working on HD, as soon as they finish making all maps HD, we will get new maps. We needed HD, as much as more maps.

We need HD maps like we need another hole in our heads...

Do you play with all settings maxed out, or a lot of them turned down so you get better performance?

Perhaps you are a lucky 10% or 20% with a newer PC, but I bet 70% of the games population will turn settings down for performance...

And, they have taken out more maps then they have introduced over the last few years...

Why WG would spend literally 100s if not 1000s of man-hours to make tired existing old maps into HD, which 70% of the people playing the game will turn down anyway to improve performance or to tone down sparkle, instead of making "new" maps is mind boggling...

WTH WG?

Make actual NEW maps....not "polished" old ones, not fire-this, not winter-that...but actual brand spanking new maps...

The new HD maps are pretty, but honestly, who cares, everyone will turn settings down...

WG should at least tell us what the plans are for upcoming new maps, or that there are no plans for new maps...

WG should revive and expand across all servers the 2012 or 2014 (RU-server only) map creation contests that went no where and actually use the ideas...

And OP, HD maps are months away as they are only in sandbox...

Edited by Awestryker, Oct 12 2017 - 16:02.

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #6 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:26

Captain

• Players
  • 63371 battles

So they have taken 3 years to make 12 maps in HD.. how long are you prepared to wait for them to convert the other 30 maps?

Ded_man #7 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22576 battles

Currently playing on the sandbox now and while I didn't care their decision to convert maps into HD and would have liked to see new maps. These HD maps so far, while familiar feels like new maps. I can't imagine anyone who plays with lower graphics settings to share that view, but I like it. 

Now only if they could make map rotation like that in the Sandbox so far. I'm not getting the same maps back to back to back to....

docroberts #8 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17670 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Oct 12 2017 - 09:26, said:

So they have taken 3 years to make 12 maps in HD.. how long are you prepared to wait for them to convert the other 30 maps?

​And don't forget how long have they been making all tanks HD as well ,, what's it been now , a year at least and just a small handful at a time . 

docroberts #9 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17670 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX

View PostDed_man, on Oct 12 2017 - 09:40, said:

Currently playing on the sandbox now and while I didn't care their decision to convert maps into HD and would have liked to see new maps. These HD maps so far, while familiar feels like new maps. I can't imagine anyone who plays with lower graphics settings to share that view, but I like it. 

Now only if they could make map rotation like that in the Sandbox so far. I'm not getting the same maps back to back to back to....

I'm looking forwards to the new engine . It's a bit overdue for a long time . I think once they get the engine implemented then it will be much easier to add new maps and content . 

Ape_Drape #10 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:50

Captain

• Players
  • 37233 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View PostCapnNoahJoJo03, on Oct 12 2017 - 15:49, said:

We've been lied to before and I don't recall anyone pleading for Himmelsdorf to be redecorated. EVER.

Do they pay you to white knight for them?

Ded_man #11 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 16:57

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22576 battles

View PostApe_Drape, on Oct 12 2017 - 10:50, said:

We've been lied to before and I don't recall anyone pleading for Himmelsdorf to be redecorated. EVER.

Do they pay you to white knight for them?

nvm, wrong quote lol

Edited by Ded_man, Oct 12 2017 - 16:58.

Ded_man #12 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 17:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 22576 battles

View Postdocroberts, on Oct 12 2017 - 10:49, said:

I'm looking forwards to the new engine . It's a bit overdue for a long time . I think once they get the engine implemented then it will be much easier to add new maps and content . 

It's definitely nice eye candy for sure. To see the foliage react the tanks engine, cannon fire, and passing by. Also, the foliage looks much more fuller. But I also have this sense of not being sure if it's providing proper camo either since they now vary to a great degree in size and texture. Looking forward to the release, provided I don't wear the sandbox out.

coachbfgi #13 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 17:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43545 battles
  • [CSCAV] CSCAV

If they would think about having the maps being rotated 90% and adding different spawn points etc, it would at least make the maps play differently.  yeah some sides would be unbalanced, but so what.  Not every team is fair in any sport/game so get over it.  Not every map would be conducive to this, but several would be feasible at least in my opinion.  I do like the new HD maps, but hell, just bring back the old maps in standard def and let us play em :(

docroberts #14 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 17:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17670 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX

View PostDed_man, on Oct 12 2017 - 10:01, said:

It's definitely nice eye candy for sure. To see the foliage react the tanks engine, cannon fire, and passing by. Also, the foliage looks much more fuller. But I also have this sense of not being sure if it's providing proper camo either since they now vary to a great degree in size and texture. Looking forward to the release, provided I don't wear the sandbox out.

​I thought about jumping in the sandbox --- kitty litter box and looking at it upfront instead of all the reviews and videos but I will hold off for what ever year they decide to add it to the game .. Last time I played on there litter  box screwed up my main game client when they shut it down for the session . But maybe we will get lucky and it will fix some of the lag issues simply due to being updated .  

FrozenKemp #15 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 19:01

Major

• Players
  • 42136 battles
I think you would be surprised by how boring some of those historical locations would be for battles. In some of those desert locations, slightly elevated areas were supremely important positions.

The airfield at Sidi Rezegh might be interesting but then again there is the Airfield map.

But uhhh that aside there have been 10,000 posts saying "new maps".

Note the HD maps are NOT IN THE NEXT PATCH either.

Avalon304 #16 Posted Oct 12 2017 - 20:08

Major

• Players
  • 16535 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Oct 12 2017 - 08:26, said:

Theyve spent 3 years designed an entire new graphics rendering engine, inaddition to work on ALL of the maps. What we see on the sandbox are just the 12 that are completed and thats nearly a 3rd of the maps in the game. The time spent on the HD maps is not just them taking their time with the maps themselves.

I know people want new maps (despite not knowing how to play on the current ones),, but why, if WG was designing a new graphics engine would they waste time on making more SD maps, when they know theyr just going to have to rework them in the future? Once they finish the new engine and get all the SD maps done, they can make new maps.

This was a needed change in 2017 (actually, this was a needed change in 2015). This game is ugly, even at max graphics. (Which many people do play on). Its about time we had a game that looked like a game that is active in 2017 not like a game from 2005. The first 12 maps are gorgeous, and I cant wait to see the rest of them.

FiresBlanks #17 Posted Oct 13 2017 - 02:48

Private

• -Players-
  • 9935 battles
  • [KS] KS

Personally I don't give a damn about new maps. I just want the old ones back. This corridor super heavy TD meta is old. Maps are to small to make scouting viable as even in heavy tanks your view range covers 3/4's of the map in most cases. Lack of cover or various flanking routes creates the need for more prem ammo spam. Hell its gotten so bad that I have premium ammo shot at me in most cases driving a 13 75 in a tier nine game. I asked the guy if he even runs any regular ammo and got a resounding no. 

[edited]however much you want but we wont see new maps or the old ones that were removed because A. hurts their wallets and B. people would [edited]and whine here on the forums about how they got shot in the side or mm is rigged against them or artillery does to much damage ect. and thats a [edited]storm they are tired of. The games in the end of its life cycle and they know it. They are just trying to get what $$ they can out of it before they shut it down. When was the last time they earned an award again? Oh right years ago when the game was about fun and enjoyment as well as the greenbacks instead of just the $$.

Moral of the story, they don't give a damn what you say or think only what will fill their wallets. WG is not the only company guilty of this as even Lord Gaben is a bit guilty, EA and so on. Just...stop wasting your time. 

docroberts #18 Posted Oct 13 2017 - 03:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17670 battles
  • [TONKX] TONKX
Made a comment on a WG article ,, Basically ppl were complaining the 12 maps they have in HD were the same maps we have now . I made the comment same maps or not I want this right now , and you can add the rest later as they go along more or less . The reply I got was :: ( I would say that plan of attack was fairly accurate ) quote un quote .. We can get the updated engine and such and they said it takes about 2 months to do a map in HD , so we would be waiting a very long time playing the same maps anyways . So might as well get it sooner . Most likely with all the Press and PR about it , I would guess it will be around Christmas . One can only hope anyways .  

Arandomperson_1 #19 Posted Oct 13 2017 - 03:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 6054 battles

Read a few comments. THERE ARE 30 MAPS?!?!?!?!??!?! then why the heck is it I only get to play, hmmm i think the rotation is like 5 and ussualy all city maps since I do mainly play arty. 30? really? I stopped playing my t10 arty as much after they took out the 30v30 map. Only seen it the first day of patch and just figured they took it out. 

New maps are a must. upgrading to hd? yeah why waist the time and just come out with a map system that just rotates linear 1 map after another till it reaches the first map you played. My t3s that I am building crews in ussualy only see 2 diferant maps. Himilswaist winterhimiswaist. Oh but of course my t10 arty gets to see that one a lot too. 

commander42 #20 Posted Oct 13 2017 - 03:40

Major

• Players
  • 21334 battles
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P

we didn't need HD maps at all, I sure hope it at least fixed all the modeling issues(shooting ground that doesn't show up, or people shooting through rocks that look like they are there but are really a foot away), that is the only benefit of wasting so much time towards that.

Unlike pretty buildings or mountains new maps actually make a difference for the vast majority of the population

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users