Are some maps being removed when hd maps take effect ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ShadowPatriot #1 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 07:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18774 battles
  • [-U-M-] -U-M-

just noticed these maps are missing

Ensk
Fiery Salient
Fisherman's Bay
Fjords
Highway
Lakeville
Live Oaks
Overlord
Ruinberg
Serene Coast
Siegfried Line
Stalingrad
Swamp
Tundra
Westfield
Widepark
Arctic Region
Erlenberg
Kharkov
Sacred Valley
Windstorm
Winter Himmelsdorf
Winterberg
Airfield

Paris
Nebelburg - new 30 vs 30 map

are they still turning them into hd or are they removing them when the hd maps come out ?

Edited by ShadowPatriot, Oct 15 2017 - 07:47.

NeroClaudiusDrusus #2 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 07:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 21419 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
HD Maps are not expected to come out for quite some time. Only 12 maps have been completed in the last year (?). They aren't going to launch the HD maps until they are all done. It's a nightmare to have to run two graphics engines, and if I have heard correctly, it's impossible.

ShadowPatriot #3 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 08:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18774 battles
  • [-U-M-] -U-M-

View Postnoah10nm, on Oct 15 2017 - 01:57, said:

HD Maps are not expected to come out for quite some time. Only 12 maps have been completed in the last year (?). They aren't going to launch the HD maps until they are all done. It's a nightmare to have to run two graphics engines, and if I have heard correctly, it's impossible.

there would be no strongholds or clan wars for a while once they launch also. 

ObrumPL #4 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 11:38

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15874 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2
Does WoT even need HD maps in the first place, would we not be better off with more maps instead? Having read many posts over the years I think the general concencus is that many players would prefer more maps and if possible of the non-corridor kind.

SacherMasoc #5 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 12:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8548 battles

The current Sandbox maps are a litmus test. The other thirty or whatever aren't being retired. I'm crossing my fingers that issues with broken and unbalanced maps will be addressed. When they say:

"Although we kept key gameplay-defining elements where they are, our enhancements made a huge difference to the look and feel of gameplay. That’s why the graphical overhaul begins on Sandbox. It gives us time to read your feedback, identify places where further tweaks make sense, and implement them to ultimately deliver a fine-tuned experience to production servers."

...I like to think they mean balancing some maps rather than just make them prettier. So that the south spawning team on Live Oaks doesn't win 90% when they push the rails. Or the north spawning team on Abbey doesn't have three routes (two of them completely safe) into the Abbey itself, while the south team gets a single suicide path. The latter example being an otherwise symmetrical map with no trade-off favouring south. Not holding my breath as stuff like this tends to be ignored. Meanwhile popular maps with minor and easily fixable issues are removed to make way for Paris/Pilsen/Overlord.

Bolted_On #6 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 12:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 61801 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

View Postnoah10nm, on Oct 15 2017 - 06:57, said:

I've seen videos of the new HD maps, and they are a real visual improvement.   But where WG is completely missing the point, the playable area is still the same size.   Playing Ensk at tier X feels like you are in a fishbowl.  They need a 25 to 50% increase in map size.   And if they really wanted to make the game better, FIX THE MM.  

ttmm3 #7 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 12:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 17635 battles
  • [TUF] TUF
Abbey has indeed been changed in the sb server, you can get into the abbey from the south,( the terrace if sorts that wraps around the wall has been given a broken out spot, you need to be able to go 72kmh or faster to get up it though) and one of norths entrance archways has been blocked,  the one along the 6 line has been widened so its not such a squeeze.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 14:04

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
Yes... Fiery Salient and a couple of the winter duplicate maps are actually going into the dustbin when HD maps come.

xxBigbacon #9 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 15:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 8189 battles
  • [-GNZ-] -GNZ-
they also made it much harder if not impossible now to crawl down slopes to either escape or come in behind things. Mines is a good example. if you are in the center it is pretty damn hard to actually go over the side and survive. So essentially they have corridor-ed the maps even more.

Edited by xxBigbacon, Oct 15 2017 - 15:23.

Bavor #10 Posted Oct 15 2017 - 15:34

Major

• Players
  • 31314 battles

View PostBolted_On, on Oct 15 2017 - 06:09, said:

I've seen videos of the new HD maps, and they are a real visual improvement.   But where WG is completely missing the point, the playable area is still the same size.   Playing Ensk at tier X feels like you are in a fishbowl.  They need a 25 to 50% increase in map size.   And if they really wanted to make the game better, FIX THE MM.  

I guess you missed this news item? 

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/update-9201-matchmaker-improvements/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users