crashing failure on startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Silver_Reaper95 #1 Posted Oct 17 2017 - 22:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6592 battles
  • [LA] LA

(Shout Out to Black Colt for directing me over here from my previous thread)

I'm having a rather odd problem with my launcher, WOT will open for about half a second and display an error message that says status-shutting down, then will close the app again. every time I attempt to open the app the same thing happens. WOWS will open the launcher, then as soon as i hit play display an error message asking me to run the wine debugger, when i confirm to run the debugger the app simply closes with no further action. Any assistance would be awesome.

Mac OS sierra, 10.12.6

I7 processor, macbook pro, late 2013 model, upgraded by apple in late 2015

usually runs game at high graphics level with no freezing and 55-60fps

Asiaticus #2 Posted Oct 18 2017 - 00:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3764 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

As I've mentioned before here on the forum, this is exactly what happens to me on my i7 Macbook Pro, but only on my regular user account. I just tried it again to check. The problem has persisted now over many WOT and wrapper updates. I don't use any mods.

If I run the game from a separate user account that has no startup items or other extras, the Mac wrapper runs just fine. 

Edited by Asiaticus, Oct 18 2017 - 00:23.

black_colt #3 Posted Oct 18 2017 - 16:02

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostAsiaticus, on Oct 17 2017 - 15:23, said:

As I've mentioned before here on the forum, this is exactly what happens to me on my i7 Macbook Pro, but only on my regular user account. I just tried it again to check. The problem has persisted now over many WOT and wrapper updates. I don't use any mods.

If I run the game from a separate user account that has no startup items or other extras, the Mac wrapper runs just fine. 

View PostSilver_Reaper95, on Oct 17 2017 - 13:18, said:

(Shout Out to Black Colt for directing me over here from my previous thread)

I'm having a rather odd problem with my launcher, WOT will open for about half a second and display an error message that says status-shutting down, then will close the app again. every time I attempt to open the app the same thing happens. WOWS will open the launcher, then as soon as i hit play display an error message asking me to run the wine debugger, when i confirm to run the debugger the app simply closes with no further action. Any assistance would be awesome.

Mac OS sierra, 10.12.6

I7 processor, macbook pro, late 2013 model, upgraded by apple in late 2015

usually runs game at high graphics level with no freezing and 55-60fps

Asiaticus,

Sounds like something is corrupt/damaged in the User Account that does not run the WoT Mac Wrapper. 

Have you used macOS Recovery to have Disk Utility check your start-up volume?

If not - I recommend that you do so.

I also recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the WoT Mac Wrapper in the user account that it is currently not working.

Silver_Reaper95,

Howdy - hope you did not mind me jumping in on that thread.

There are some individuals who are very helpful in those Forums - but the majority seems to have just got out of Kindergarten and have yet to learn how to play nice with others in public.

Asiaticus and Silver_Reaper95,

I recommend that you both delete the WoT Mac Wrapper and reinstall.  It is possible that you still have the [old] WoT Mac Wrapper.  There was an issue with the WoT Mac Wrapper prior to v2.0.10 in which the wrapper would not update itself - even if forced.

The current version is 2.10.12 and the wrapper update issue has been resolved in this version.

We will be using an OS X/macOS native app from dstud208 called the Studly Utility - all hail dstud208 for this as his utility makes it very easy to perform multiple troubleshooting steps. 

The next steps will [Delete Completely] and [Disable Torrents].  The WoT Mac Wrapper can be very sensitive to using Torrents - not sure why.

If open quit the WoT Mac Wrapper and make sure all world_of_tanks processes are quit/closed.

Use [Activity Monitor] in [Applications][Utilities] and force-quit any open world_of_tank processes.

Go to the following Forum thread and download the Studly Utility from dstud208 - http://forum.worldof...rapper-utility/

Install the Studly Utility

Go to [Documents] then [WoT] and duplicate the [replays] folder.  Move that duplicated folder to the Desktop.

Launch the Studly Utility

NOTE: If you want to keep your replays you must duplicate the [replays] folder and move it to the Desktop. The next step will completely delete all files.

Click on [World of Tanks] then [General] then [Delete Completely] then Click on [OK] in the next dialog box.

Next click on [Live Server] and click on your region.

Your web browser will open and download the region-appropriate DMG. 

After download completes - double click on the DMG and drag the WoT Mac Wrapper app to the [Applications] folder. 

After the app copies eject the DMG.

Double click on the newly installed WoT Mac Wrapper app to launch and wait until you see [Updating game client:] then click on the double vertical lines immediately to the left of [PLAY] button to stop the update.

You should see a dialog box indicating that you are running the latest version.

Quit the WoT Mac Wrapper.

If open quit the WoT Mac Wrapper and make sure all world_of_tanks processes are quit/closed.

Use [Activity Monitor] in [Applications][Utilities] and force-quit any open world_of_tank processes.

Go Back to/Relaunch the Studly Utility

Click on [World of Tanks] then [General] then [Disable Torrents]

Launch the WoT Mac Wrapper.  

Install any updates to the WoT Mac Wrapper - this is separate from game updates which happen in the [PLAY] dialog box after the WoT Mac Wrapper finishes launching.

Let the game install any updates needed in the [PLAY] dialog box.  When complete click on [PLAY] and log-into the game.

Please let the Forum know if this works ...

Edited by black_colt, Oct 18 2017 - 16:03.

Asiaticus #4 Posted Oct 18 2017 - 21:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3764 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View Postblack_colt, on Oct 18 2017 - 10:02, said:

Asiaticus,

Sounds like something is corrupt/damaged in the User Account that does not run the WoT Mac Wrapper. 

Have you used macOS Recovery to have Disk Utility check your start-up volume?

If not - I recommend that you do so.

I also recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the WoT Mac Wrapper in the user account that it is currently not working.

Yes, I've run Disk Utility from the recovery partition multiple times. I've also deleted and reinstalled the Mac wrapper using the full Studly Utility process. These have not changed how the wrapper fails to load on my primary user account. If I weren't lazy I'd do a full backup and restore of the disk, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble (after all, I'm not running Windows like an animal). My workaround (alternate account) has been reliably working for a long time now. My guess is that either I am running some background application/process that conflicts with the wrapper or my main account is corrupted in a way that DU doesn't pick up and that doesn't seem to affect anything other than the wrapper in daily use.

Thanks.

black_colt #5 Posted Oct 18 2017 - 22:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostAsiaticus, on Oct 18 2017 - 12:14, said:

Yes, I've run Disk Utility from the recovery partition multiple times. I've also deleted and reinstalled the Mac wrapper using the full Studly Utility process. These have not changed how the wrapper fails to load on my primary user account. If I weren't lazy I'd do a full backup and restore of the disk, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble (after all, I'm not running Windows like an animal). My workaround (alternate account) has been reliably working for a long time now. My guess is that either I am running some background application/process that conflicts with the wrapper or my main account is corrupted in a way that DU doesn't pick up and that doesn't seem to affect anything other than the wrapper in daily use.

Thanks.

Asiaticus,

There is definitely something wrong with that user account - most likely data corruption - I have seen that happen where the account seems fine until you run a specific app. 

Unfortunately all of the apps  that I have used to check and repair in those circumstances are paid apps - DiskWarrior is one I have used for several years to great success.

Asiaticus #6 Posted Oct 18 2017 - 23:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3764 battles
  • [NBL] NBL

View Postblack_colt, on Oct 18 2017 - 16:47, said:

Asiaticus,

There is definitely something wrong with that user account - most likely data corruption - I have seen that happen where the account seems fine until you run a specific app. 

Unfortunately all of the apps  that I have used to check and repair in those circumstances are paid apps - DiskWarrior is one I have used for several years to great success.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used DiskWarrior back in System 7/8/9 days. I should probably buy another copy.

black_colt #7 Posted Oct 19 2017 - 00:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostAsiaticus, on Oct 18 2017 - 14:55, said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I used DiskWarrior back in System 7/8/9 days. I should probably buy another copy.

Ahhh MacOS Classic - brings back memories of my Green Jade [SE/30] machine which I still have.

I actually ran A/UX on that machine for a bit [after the pain of getting it installed] until I went back to MacOS Classic so I could run Microsoft Word and Excel, and WordPerfect.  WordPerfect was really great and helped me transition to my NeXTSTEP black hardware.

DiskWarrior Recovery Maker 1.1 currently does not work with macOS High Sierra - an update is due soon.

ca009877 #8 Posted Oct 19 2017 - 12:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 36379 battles
I try to log in but get notice saying I need to update, I click update and I am running latest version, but I still get the box saying I need to update, obviously the update is not compatible with windows.

black_colt #9 Posted Oct 19 2017 - 17:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postca009877, on Oct 19 2017 - 03:00, said:

I try to log in but get notice saying I need to update, I click update and I am running latest version, but I still get the box saying I need to update, obviously the update is not compatible with windows.

That makes no sense as the WoT Mac Wrapper does not use MS Windows nor goes the game need MS Windows to run in the WoT Mac Wrapper.

There are two components that can need updates - the WoT Mac Wrapper itself and then the game so having two updates is possible and expected.

Exactly what is happening - e.g. launch the WoT Mac Wrapper, dismiss the dialog box stating that I am running the latest version, when the [PLAY] screen appears there is a message that there are updates, the game attempts to download the updates [small orange bar] but fails and displays a message - the message says ...

Edited by black_colt, Oct 19 2017 - 17:16.

ca009877 #10 Posted Oct 19 2017 - 17:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 36379 battles
Sorry early morning and I posted in wrong thread.  

black_colt #11 Posted Oct 19 2017 - 20:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View Postca009877, on Oct 19 2017 - 08:41, said:

Sorry early morning and I posted in wrong thread.  

No worries and no apology needed - hope that the MS Windows Forum[s] can help out.

I recommend that you run [CHECK] in [SETTINGS][SUPPORT] so that the game checks and repairs game integrity.  Should only take a few minutes and who knows it may correct your issue ...

Edited by black_colt, Oct 19 2017 - 20:48.

Silver_Reaper95 #12 Posted Oct 19 2017 - 23:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6592 battles
  • [LA] LA

ok black colt, sorry about the long time between replies, i work on the road and have been hopping back and forth between san francisco and NYC, so haven't been able to do much, i'm trying your suggestion right now, i'll post again when i can see what happens

black_colt #13 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 02:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostSilver_Reaper95, on Oct 19 2017 - 14:53, said:

ok black colt, sorry about the long time between replies, i work on the road and have been hopping back and forth between san francisco and NYC, so haven't been able to do much, i'm trying your suggestion right now, i'll post again when i can see what happens

No worries

Edited by black_colt, Oct 20 2017 - 02:27.

Silver_Reaper95 #14 Posted Oct 21 2017 - 00:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6592 battles
  • [LA] LA
Thanks Colt, the fix worked perfectly, I'm back in the game :) 

black_colt #15 Posted Oct 21 2017 - 00:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostSilver_Reaper95, on Oct 20 2017 - 15:03, said:

Thanks Colt, the fix worked perfectly, I'm back in the game :) 

I cannot take any thanks - all the thanks go to dstud208 for producing the Studly Utility that allows us to correct these issues.

I just created a quick set of what-you-can-do based on his app.

Glad to hear you are back in the game - good luck and happy tanking

Edited by black_colt, Oct 21 2017 - 00:24.

RenamedUser_1011984746 #16 Posted Oct 21 2017 - 04:57

Private

• -Players-
  • 1687 battles
When I click on link for studly utility it says link is broken

Edited by RenamedUser_1011984746, Oct 21 2017 - 04:57.

black_colt #17 Posted Oct 21 2017 - 06:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 3370 battles

View PostRenamedUser_1011984746, on Oct 20 2017 - 19:57, said:

When I click on link for studly utility it says link is broken

Click on [***Download Link***] in the World of Tanks/Warships Wrapper Utility - WoT Mac Wrapper Support - World of Tanks official forum URL - http://forum.worldof...rapper-utility/

Silver_Reaper95 #18 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 00:48

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6592 battles
  • [LA] LA
you can also search studly utility for wot online and it'll come up, good to be back though haha

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users