Racist Commentary

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
199 replies to this topic

spud_tuber #21 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:14

Major

• Players
  • 42546 battles

View PostDeputy276, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:06, said:

Newsflash, but "South America" is NOT a "race".  I get tired of people misusing that race term on this forum. South America is a geographical region. Let me ask the OP a question...do you know WHY there are so many comments about South American players? 

While you're technically correct, often it is apparent that the "regionalism" you're referring to has its roots in racism and ignorance.  Other times, there's no clear evidence that it is based on racism, in which case you would be correct in saying that assuming that it is rooted in racism is wrong.  

Toxicity73 #22 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:19

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9711 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostKliphie, on Oct 20 2017 - 07:41, said:

Troll them back.  Replying Hamburger Hotdog Mashed Potatoes is one of my favs.

I just say "I FARTED"

Nunya_000 #23 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:19

Major

• Players
  • 20690 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Oct 20 2017 - 07:14, said:

My main point was, it's a bigger problem than WG. It's a societal problem but we just accept it.   You're right, people are free to be bigoted pieces of donkey manure. Doesn't mean we have to accept it.  It's laughable that we can call ourselves civilized when there are so many willfully ignorant or intellectually challenged individuals who hamper the progress of humanity.

Anyway, I'll just join the shoulder-shruggers I guess and move on.

Believe me, I agree 100% with what you are saying, but changing ingrained beliefs...whether those beliefs are right or wrong (imo)...is like trying to stop the tide.

Toxicity73 #24 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:25

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9711 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostKliphie, on Oct 20 2017 - 07:41, said:

Troll them back.  Replying Hamburger Hotdog Mashed Potatoes is one of my favs.

I just say "I FARTED"

MacDaddyMatty #25 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 17618 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostDeputy276, on Oct 20 2017 - 10:06, said:

Newsflash, but "South America" is NOT a "race".  I get tired of people misusing that race term on this forum. South America is a geographical region. Let me ask the OP a question...do you know WHY there are so many comments about South American players?

because many have 400 ping and are still trying to have a good time?

_Reichandroll #26 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10896 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
Literally ignore it, it isn't hurting you 

Darkbee2Bee #27 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:32

Major

• Players
  • 31977 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

View PostNunya_000, on Oct 20 2017 - 10:19, said:

Believe me, I agree 100% with what you are saying, but changing ingrained beliefs...whether those beliefs are right or wrong...is like trying to stop the tide.

Well I was just considering this, as it happens.  I'm a big fan of bullying the bullies (because all hateful people understand is hate) but I recognize that this is a terrible solution. As the saying goes "The problem with an eye-for-an-eye is that everyone ends up going blind" (to paraphrase).

So all I'm left with is (re-)education, redirection and good, old fashioned logic:

You say: "All South American players are bad at tonks"

I say: Here is a unicum player from South America which disproves your assertion.  And another one.  And another one.  Please explain this?

Naturally, at this point cognitive dissonance causes an internal melt-down leading to a basic fight or flight fear mechanism and our special friend spirals into a tirade of further abuse and apoplexy.   Herein, lies the problem with education:  sadly, I think these people simply don't have the intellectual machinery to handle such rudimentary logic (or they're simply too lazy, too brain-washed to be able to overcome their dull senses).  So the cycle continues but I think education is the only real way forward.  I have heard of stories of reformed skin-heads which gives me hope.  Hope is all we have.

ShookYang #28 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8508 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE
I usually submit screenshots and replays to their clan leader in addition to submitting the ticket to WG.

Ak_Lonewolf #29 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27920 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
Blacklist / ignore it... you know.. like an adult.

Deputy276 #30 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:42

Major

• Players
  • 17258 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:28, said:

because many have 400 ping and are still trying to have a good time?

Which is a problem WG introduced when they opened up SA to WOT play. But no, that is not the answer I was looking for. I think you KNOW what the answer is, but are afraid to actually post it. I understand. The forum mods are very touchy about some topics and this is one of them. It can get you banned, or at the very least, a stern warning.

View Postspud_tuber, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:14, said:

While you're technically correct, often it is apparent that the "regionalism" you're referring to has its roots in racism and ignorance.  Other times, there's no clear evidence that it is based on racism, in which case you would be correct in saying that assuming that it is rooted in racism is wrong.  

Then I ask you the same question I asked the OP...WHY  do you think people complain about SA players? 

WhoDat65 #31 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:48

Captain

• Players
  • 36202 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
I don't understand the vitriol aimed towards South Americans.  It's them damn Canadians you have to watch out for.  Seriously,  just ignore and report them.  Karma has a way of dishing out justice.

Nunya_000 #32 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:48

Major

• Players
  • 20690 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostDeputy276, on Oct 20 2017 - 07:42, said:

Then I ask you the same question I asked the OP...WHY  do you think people complain about SA players? 

Very simple.  People like to find something or someone to blame for their own "failures".

Myself, I couldn't care less if a player was playing from Mars.  If a person can still have fun playing this game with 400+ ping, more power to them.  Personally, I could not play this game for long with 400+ ping (and not all SA players have high ping).  Just by the logic of numbers, there are more poor players here in the US than there are from SA.  Just because someone is playing from another country, that does not guarantee that they are bad players or that there is a larger proportion of bad players from that region.

Deputy276 #33 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:49

Major

• Players
  • 17258 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:32, said:

Well I was just considering this, as it happens.  I'm a big fan of bullying the bullies (because all hateful people understand is hate) but I recognize that this is a terrible solution. As the saying goes "The problem with an eye-for-an-eye is that everyone ends up going blind" (to paraphrase).

So all I'm left with is (re-)education, redirection and good, old fashioned logic:

You say: "All South American players are bad at tonks"

I say: Here is a unicum player from South America which disproves your assertion.  And another one.  And another one.  Please explain this?

Naturally, at this point cognitive dissonance causes an internal melt-down leading to a basic fight or flight fear mechanism and our special friend spirals into a tirade of further abuse and apoplexy.   Herein, lies the problem with education:  sadly, I think these people simply don't have the intellectual machinery to handle such rudimentary logic (or they're simply too lazy, too brain-washed to be able to overcome their dull senses).  So the cycle continues but I think education is the only real way forward.  I have heard of stories of reformed skin-heads which gives me hope.  Hope is all we have.

You do realize, if the SA players DIDN'T show what country they are from in XVM, this whole thread would not exist. I don't even show the real country I am from in XVM. I show the country that my favorite tanks come from. If WG eliminated XVM, or at the very least eliminated the ability to show what country you associate with, this whole "problem" would not exist. All you would have is players griping about certain vegetables. :)

BTW...your "good ol-fashioned logic" really doesn't fly. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been playing, I haven't seen more than 5 unicum players from that geographical region. 

Darkbee2Bee #34 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:50

Major

• Players
  • 31977 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

View PostDeputy276, on Oct 20 2017 - 10:42, said:

For the same reason that some people think all Mexicans are rapists or that all Muslims are terrorists.

Darkbee2Bee #35 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:53

Major

• Players
  • 31977 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

View PostDeputy276, on Oct 20 2017 - 10:49, said:

You do realize, if the SA players DIDN'T show what country they are from in XVM, this whole thread would not exist. I don't even show the real country I am from in XVM. I show the country that my favorite tanks come from. If WG eliminated XVM, or at the very least eliminated the ability to show what country you associate with, this whole "problem" would not exist. All you would have is players griping about certain vegetables. :)

BTW...your "good ol-fashioned logic" really doesn't fly. I can honestly say that in all the years I have been playing, I haven't seen more than 5 unicum players from that geographical region. 

If you've seen 1 South American unicum player then the statement that all South American players are trash is false. It's that simple.

XVM is irrelevant.  As soon as they start typing Spanish/Portuguese in chat, or in some cases people see clan tags, you get all the usual taco/burrito comments.  Again, your assertion that XVM removal would kill the problem is patently false.

Deputy276 #36 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 17258 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostNunya_000, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:48, said:

Very simple.  People like to find something or someone to blame for their own "failures".

Myself, I couldn't care less if a player was playing from Mars.  If a person can still have fun playing this game with 400+ ping, more power to them.  Personally, I could not play this game for long with 400+ ping.  Just by the logic of numbers, there are more poor players here in the US than there are from SA.  Just because someone is playing from another country, that does not guarantee that they are bad players or that there is a larger proportion of bad players from that region.

Thing is, those players are pretty much ruining the "fun" for the 14 other players on the team. I mean this IS a "team game", not a single player game. I have seen good players drown themselves rather than be on teams of 4+ SA players.

I don't, but I have seen it more than once. Tell you what...let me have WG place you on "special status" where you have at least 5 SA players on EVERY team in every battle for a month. And no, you don't get to go on vacation for a month to Hawaii :teethhappy:

Then come back and tell me how much "fun" you have had. And we will check your stats just to make sure there is no fudging. :sceptic:

Deputy276 #37 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:57

Major

• Players
  • 17258 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:50, said:

For the same reason that some people think all Mexicans are rapists or that all Muslims are terrorists.

Nice spin, now answer my question without the sarcasm.

Burning_Haggis #38 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:57

Captain

• Players
  • 40629 battles
  • [G-M-U] G-M-U

Snowflakes triggered by simple words enough to go into a full-on melt down.

Ignore them and move on.  Just in case you haven't managed to figure it out yet, you can not make people believe, act, or talk as you want them to.  

Skyrimosity #39 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14415 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostDarkbee2Bee, on Oct 20 2017 - 09:00, said:

Sadly, it's not just WoT.  It's the world we live in today where bigotry, racism, xenophobia are the new norm.  It's like we're going back in time or something.  And the worse part of it is, you're typically met with a shrug of the shoulders, "too bad, so sad,", "grow a thicker skin."; acceptance by apathy.  Sometimes it makes me question the validity of humanity's existence.

I love people like you, people who seem genuinely burdened like “Oh no, I live in the 21st century, an era of rampant bigotry! What a terrible time to be alive”. All of these things you mentioned have MUCH broader issues but you try to make it seem simple.

Xenophobia: “I want tougher immigration laws” is as xenophobic as “No Mexicans in America!” because you actively WANT your mind to perceive any point in dissension to yours as bigotry with no wider net of argument. 

Basically, it’s one type of ignorance trying to call out another type of ignorance. And it’s pathetic because this ignorance is particularly proud of it

Nunya_000 #40 Posted Oct 20 2017 - 16:58

Major

• Players
  • 20690 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostDeputy276, on Oct 20 2017 - 07:55, said:

Thing is, those players are pretty much ruining the "fun" for the 14 other players on the team.

So....poor players that live in the US should not play either?  Should 46% WR players be allowed to play?

Block Quote

I mean this IS a "team game", not a single player game. I have seen good players drown themselves rather than be on teams of 4+ SA players.

That does not sound like it is a problem with the SA players.  That is a problem with  the players that drown themselves.

Block Quote

I don't, but I have seen it more than once. Tell you what...let me have WG place you on "special status" where you have at least 5 SA players on EVERY team in every battle for a month. And no, you don't get to go on vacation for a month to Hawaii :teethhappy:

It would not bother me much.  I do not play this game for stats or winning or losing.  I play this game to blow crap up so that I do not 'blow crap up" at work.

Block Quote

Then come back and tell me how much "fun" you have had. And we will check your stats just to make sure there is no fudging. :sceptic:

See above

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users