What should I look out for when joining a clan and what should I do to get better?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Blue_Spark #1 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 00:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 12950 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

TL/DR is at the bottom since this is pretty long, sorry. :(

*Sorry if this doesn't belong here, not sure where to post

I've been playing World of Tanks on-and-off for a little over 6 years but due to some dispute in my old clan all the active members left and I was left alone for the most part for over a year. Yesterday I decided to finally leave my old clan and have been wondering on how to go about finding a new one. I started off looking at some of the recruitment threads as well as posts that give tips on how to make a "looking for" clan post, but now I'm not exactly sure what I should aim for when joining a clan...

I'm not a good player but I wouldn't say that I'm super bad either, and am looking to learn, so definitely a lower tier clan would be something that I should look to join. I'd be lying though if I said that I wasn't interested in Clan Wars or Competitive once in a while, but I hardly have stats to do so and to make things worse I'm a college student so I can't be free 6-7 days every week, at best 3-4. I also feel that the few tiers 10's I do have are not viable/top tier Clan Wars tanks either. While I wouldn't mind joining a low-tier clan in the end I'm afraid that I won't be able to improve myself as a player much, which is something I'd like to work on, and forever be stuck never trying out CW.

And so I decided to post a topic here asking what would be some good tips for looking for a proper clan and if there are any important things I should do first...

I'll post a few basic stats so people can have a better idea on why I think I'm not Mid/High tier clan material.

Tier X's: T57 Heavy, Action X, M48A5 Patton (Unlocked but not bought)

53.6% Victories, 1.4kAvg and Recent WN8, 11.8k Games, 6,160PR, 857Avg DMG(Super Low), Avg Tank tier is between 6-8, Time Zone: PDT (West Coast, USA)

Sorry for the poor stats. :(

TL/DR: Left old clan. Looking for new clan. Not sure to aim for Low or Mid(CW Viable) Clan. Looking for advice and tips.

SilverEaglewing #2 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 00:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30278 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
Get popular clan wars tanks, like 5a, 113, and maus. People sometimes look for those. Oh also get an ru med, they are used aswell.

brapitybrapbrap #3 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 00:40

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
clans are dead like this game---play arty that is what i do

Edited by brapitybrapbrap, Oct 22 2017 - 00:40.

saber1179 #4 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 01:02

Captain

• Players
  • 28234 battles
  • [WANKO] WANKO

You don't need a clan to improve.  There is so much info out there to help your game play.   I myself have found Taugrim's road to unicum guide have helped me a lot

https://www.youtube..../taugrimtaugrim

84Doc04 #5 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 01:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17897 battles
  • [E-T-D] E-T-D

View Postsaber1179, on Oct 21 2017 - 19:02, said:

You don't need a clan to improve.  There is so much info out there to help your game play.   I myself have found Taugrim's road to unicum guide have helped me a lot

I watched the crap out of LemmingRush and then found Taugrim and he's fantastic too.  His Road to Unicum series is very well done and covers a huge variety of concepts and tank styles.

OP:

If you are looking for camaraderie and to get into Skirmishes and Advances, etc, ETD is a very friendly clan, we take almost anyone, skill wise, but your stats are not poor.  You're an above average player.  We're a mix of older and younger guys, get serious at times and just have fun others.  Our teamspeak is a riot.  Message me if you want to give us a try, come play as a Legionaire and get to know the guys.  Even if you don't join, you're still welcome in TS to platoon or skirmish. 

Lonewolfpj #6 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 02:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 2831 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
You can come and hang out with D-day and H-hour. We are really laid back group of people.

Slone #7 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 02:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17089 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

The first thing you need to do is ask yourself, what exactly do you want from a clan. Give it an honest and thorough think through. Then look at what you have to offer to a clan. What you're looking for and what you have to offer might not match up exactly, so you will have to compromise. Now it's time to start looking for a clan that fits those expectations and attributes. Talk to people, about their clan and about other clans. Look through some recruiting threads, and check out the clan rankings. The idea is to get a feel for the clans out there and see where you might fit into the scheme of things. Do your research, it'll be worth it. Then post a thread in the Looking For Clan section. Be sure to clearly state what you are looking for and what you have to offer to a clan, be honest. You'll get a lot of responses, hopefully. IMO, reject all the clans that send you an invite without talking with you first immediately, they are sure to be a BS clan full of drama. Sort through the rest and decide which ones interest you and which might not. Whether you like a clan or not, reply to all of them, be honest. Ask questions; what does the clan do (CW, strongholds, advances, toons, formal training, etc.), how active are they, how it the leadership structured, what do they require of their players, age range of the clan, maturity, acceptable behavior (swearing, illegal mods, flaming noobs, ...), etc. Talking to the clans and asking questions will help you narrow down the list of clans that you're interested in. Then start visiting some clans, get on their Team Speak (or whatever) and meet some of their folks. Toon with some of their folks. Play some strongholds to see how they operate and how their callers do. Eventually, you'll find a group that you're comfortable with. if not, post another LFC thread and see if you attract any different clans.

What I've described is a lot of work. But the more work you put into the process, the more likely that you'll find a clan that is really good for YOU. And a good clan can really make the game great. 

By the way, I'm a recruiter for a really great clan. Check us out while you're doing your research.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

Good Luck-

Slone

Blue_Spark #8 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 05:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 12950 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostSilverEaglewing, on Oct 21 2017 - 23:09, said:

Get popular clan wars tanks, like 5a, 113, and maus. People sometimes look for those. Oh also get an ru med, they are used aswell.

I have been meaning to get a Russian Medium but its quite difficult to do so alone, I at least have the T-44 unlocked and have been thinking about getting the T-62A. Thanks for the advice!

View Postsaber1179, on Oct 22 2017 - 00:02, said:

View Post84Doc04, on Oct 22 2017 - 00:11, said:

I watched the crap out of LemmingRush and then found Taugrim and he's fantastic too.  His Road to Unicum series is very well done and covers a huge variety of concepts and tank styles.

OP:

If you are looking for camaraderie and to get into Skirmishes and Advances, etc, ETD is a very friendly clan, we take almost anyone, skill wise, but your stats are not poor.  You're an above average player.  We're a mix of older and younger guys, get serious at times and just have fun others.  Our teamspeak is a riot.  Message me if you want to give us a try, come play as a Legionaire and get to know the guys.  Even if you don't join, you're still welcome in TS to platoon or skirmish. 

Thanks for pointing this guy out, his videos look amazing and I'll watch some while eating dinner! I might take you up on the offer to drop into the Team Speak after looking around some more. :)

View PostSlone, on Oct 22 2017 - 01:47, said:

The first thing you need to do is ask yourself, what exactly do you want from a clan. Give it an honest and thorough think through. Then look at what you have to offer to a clan. What you're looking for and what you have to offer might not match up exactly, so you will have to compromise. Now it's time to start looking for a clan that fits those expectations and attributes. Talk to people, about their clan and about other clans. Look through some recruiting threads, and check out the clan rankings. The idea is to get a feel for the clans out there and see where you might fit into the scheme of things. Do your research, it'll be worth it. Then post a thread in the Looking For Clan section. Be sure to clearly state what you are looking for and what you have to offer to a clan, be honest. You'll get a lot of responses, hopefully. IMO, reject all the clans that send you an invite without talking with you first immediately, they are sure to be a BS clan full of drama. Sort through the rest and decide which ones interest you and which might not. Whether you like a clan or not, reply to all of them, be honest. Ask questions; what does the clan do (CW, strongholds, advances, toons, formal training, etc.), how active are they, how it the leadership structured, what do they require of their players, age range of the clan, maturity, acceptable behavior (swearing, illegal mods, flaming noobs, ...), etc. Talking to the clans and asking questions will help you narrow down the list of clans that you're interested in. Then start visiting some clans, get on their Team Speak (or whatever) and meet some of their folks. Toon with some of their folks. Play some strongholds to see how they operate and how their callers do. Eventually, you'll find a group that you're comfortable with. if not, post another LFC thread and see if you attract any different clans.

What I've described is a lot of work. But the more work you put into the process, the more likely that you'll find a clan that is really good for YOU. And a good clan can really make the game great. 

By the way, I'm a recruiter for a really great clan. Check us out while you're doing your research.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

Good Luck-

Slone

This is some great advice, thank you! I might hop on your TS right now since you brought up a lot of great points. Just being able to talk with someone while playing right off the bat would be great, thanks Slone!

Georgietheprincess #9 Posted Oct 23 2017 - 14:04

Captain

• WGLNA Bronze League Player
  • 34941 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Being good at the game and being good at clan specific activities are not one and the same. I recommend joining a subclan, most are set up to improve their player base and give you access to better players.

That being said you should only do that if you are interested in things like strongholds or cw. If you aren't focus on watching streamers and self improvement.

Gl hf

MacDaddyMatty #10 Posted Oct 23 2017 - 14:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 17708 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

What do you want to get out of a clan?

What can you bring to a clan?

What commitments (if any) are they asking for?

What do you want out of the game?

Are you looking for something

Casual?

Social?

Competitive?

All or some of the above?

Maybe you don't really know what you are looking for because you don't know all that's out there?

My advice...

See if you can hang out in a clan's TS or DC. Platoon with them and see how you like them and what they do.

They will be checking you out also.

Check out at least 3 different clans for a few days each.

After that you should have a good idea about them and they about you.

Don't be pressured to join anything right away (and also don't let them haze you by dragging out any "probation period" ).

Also, don't be afraid to be a "clan hopper" if things aren't working out - this is a game and thus, you should be having a good time ding it.

I hope this is useful.

Finding a clan can be a chore.

I spent a bit of time in several before I found my home.

o7

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users