• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

ShaolinWombat #41 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 00:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8222 battles
  • [CVF] CVF

View PostTolos, on Oct 24 2017 - 22:38, said:

The sad part is a lot of those probably arnt even bots.

You can tell the difference between newbies (tomatoes) and bots.  Bad players don’t sit still until activated or try to shot though rocks, walls, etc.  Also bad players tend to be above 200 wn8, much less sub 100 wn8.  

Though you have to love the 1 wn8 tier10 tank.   I really don’t understand voting tier 10. 

Tolos #42 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 11:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostShaolinWombat, on Oct 24 2017 - 23:24, said:

You can tell the difference between newbies (tomatoes) and bots.  Bad players don’t sit still until activated or try to shot though rocks, walls, etc.  Also bad players tend to be above 200 wn8, much less sub 100 wn8.  

Though you have to love the 1 wn8 tier10 tank.   I really don’t understand voting tier 10. 

I'm guessing you have never met Sireric...

Michael_Cochrane_2017 #43 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 13:33

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5507 battles

View PostRoggg2, on Oct 24 2017 - 12:05, said:

Random teams are the epitome of fair.  Balancing by skill gives bad players better teams than they deserve, and gives good players worse teams than they deserve.  Your premise is just plain wrong.

Ever heard of handicapping? That's where a higher level player plays against a lower level player (in sports) in order to make it competitive. 

For example: I used to hang around a pub that had 2 pool tables. There were guys there who competed in tournaments and ranked high or won. I was an average player at best and if it was just one of them and me, we'd play. If we played a non-handicapped game, why on earth would I play because if they broke, I wouldn't get a shot. If I broke, that'd be the only shot I got in the entire game. So to make it competitive, they'd have to bank every shot. It made THEM a better player and allowed me to compete. See it also made ME a better player because I would have to consider where I'd leave the cue ball if I missed my shot. 

See, you look at it as penalizing a better player, but really, a "solid" player with any sort of "integrity" would get no enjoyment out of simply going around killing everyone on the other team. Ever watch truly "great" hockey players? Know what makes them great? When they have a breakaway with a team mate, have an easy shot for a goal and instead of taking it, they pass to their team mate and give THEM the goal. THAT is what makes a player great....doesn't matter the sport or the game. 

Perfect example: in most games where I'm going against tier iii in my Tier iv Matilda, my biggest concern is getting to a spot where I can engage enemy tanks, NOT getting killed. Because if I go up against tier iv (most of the time) I can easily kill them before they kill me. (usually get killed by a matilda or similar). If it's just tier iii left? I just drive around killing them. (Himmelsdorf is one of them). In one battle I got 8 kills and was 1 of two players left on my team, 6 on theirs, all tier iii and it was just tedious driving around killing them.

If that's what you think an "enjoyable" game is, that speaks volumes about you......

That was what was wrong with the 3/5/7 mm and it's even worse now, because most of the time, I'm bottom tier and none of this BS about avoiding higher tier tanks by learning where they usually go, because there's so many, they go everywhere. 

Michael_Cochrane_2017 #44 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 19:34

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5507 battles

View PostLiberty75, on Oct 24 2017 - 16:45, said:

...... So if you want to increase your win rate despite the skill of the teams, you are better off being higher in tier level and you should be advocating for a return to a more random MM system, as we previously had, to optimize your chances for controlling your win rate fate.

I 100% agree with everything you said but want to highlight this last bit just in case there are 2 or 3 readers who haven't realized it yet:

This goes right along with Wargaming's business model of "pay to win"....Which is ludicrous in every fashion. Must be a moronic Russian policy because they wouldn't stand for it in, auto racing, sports, or any other "competition" based industry. They should be looking at one of the most lucrative franchises of all time, WOW which is a pay to play model. 

They probably did a graph on the lifespan of a player with the curve resembling a steep uphill climb until tier 10, then with no new maps and nowhere really to go, a steep drop off when they get bored and quit. Not realizing that it costs 100x as much to get new customers as it does to keep existing ones. But I'd expect nothing less from people who know how to maybe design a game, and not about a long term business model. 

As was discussed in the other thread, it is my understanding that there used to be 2 US servers populated by 25K plus players at peak and now it's barely getting 20K players combined at peak. Proof positive that they haven't a clue what they're doing. 

Also tagged with Matchmaking, broken, fair play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users