Tank Model Exporter Utility

editor modding mesh editing

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

Coffee_ #1 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 20:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

There is a new video I made that shows how to use Tank Exporter and Swizzler to mod a tanks geometry and textures.

Watch it FULL screen at YouTube.

I put up a new video at YouTube about the new changes to Tank Exporter.
https://youtu.be/gWS8QtR7dPg

Information about GMM maps and how they work.
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/523746-gmmdds-file-names-and-other-help-for-a-skorpion-g-retexture/page__pid__10618979#entry10618979

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/524031-tutorialnew-gmm-value-range-since-099-and-its-effect-on-metallic-detail-map/

NOTE: In the video above, the context menu was used to extract to the res_mods folder and export the FBX.
These two items have been moved to the top main menu.
You must FIRST LOAD A TANK before extracting to res_mods or exporting the FBX.

You can view the help pages HERE.

Version 72:
This adds a check box to the extraction screen to extract the tanks item_Def file from the scripts.pkg.
Also... It fixes a bug of items not being found in the shared_content_build file I create for searching for data.

Version 71:
This fixes a long time issue with importing FBX files with UV vertice counts larger than geometry vertice counts.

Texture seams cause problems when rendering or writing the primitive if the vertices are not split based on UV mapping.
The down side to this new FBX reading method is it requires repacking the vertices and indices back in to indexed lists.
This takes time and you will see it when you write out a primitive. The code is not horribly slow but is worth the fix to UV map seams.

Version 70:

I fixed a bug loading the Skorpion. The painted and normal version is in the pkg data but the dev API only has info for the premium version.

Version 69:
I fixed a issue with the 1.2.0.0 client changes that stopped TE from finding the camouflage info.
I replaced the season ICONs with new ones.

Version History....

Hey... Its me again.
Just wanted to let ya'll know my tank modding tool is now fully functional.
It allows you to load the tank models.. Export them as FBX so you can change them in an app like 3DS Max or Maya.

System Unit Scale should be set to : 1 unit = 10.0 centimeters.  You can set the view scale to anything you want but can effect view port clipping.

Once you make your changes, export them from your 3D app as FBX and import them in to Tank Exporter.
When TE imports it will figure out what was changed or added and set up the save box for you.
Just go to the File menu and click Write Primitive and a small window will pop up where you save the tank in the games .primitive format.

Things you can and can not do.
You can NOT change the chassis or gun models. The vertex format is not supported in TE for these.
Tank Exporter now allows you to add individual object to the model. It takes care of editing the visual for you. It also will change which shader to use in the game based on what textures your additions contain.

You can use use diffuse textures, normal textures and Specular textures when you create materials.
New objects will need either "_hull" or "_turret" added to their names.. This naming will let TE know which part of the tank to add this item to when .primitive file is saved.
You can add and remove vertices in the turret and hull. If you want, you can move them around.. Really.. Its only limited by imagination.

There is a way to add more than one item to a hull or turret component. You would need to save the primitive, reloaded it, export it.. add to it, import it in TE and write the primitive. TE will search the res_mods folder to see if the tank has been extracted there and if so, will load it from that location. You will need to set the path in TE to this folder AND the game folder. Instructions are in the help file. Click the blue question mark.
Tank Exporter will automatically modify the visual file for the hull or turret if an item was added.
You can edit this file in a text editor once the primitive has been written from TE.

Tank Exporter needs a lot of data to work.. At the start up the first time.. it will create a temp folder and build data for access later.
This takes a fair amount of time so don't flip out over it. It only has to happen once when you first run Tank Exporter. After.. it will load this data at start up.
TE will also gather information from the DEV API online.. This is fairly fast and also.. only needs to happen once.
If there is a change in the games tank data.. than you can use the file menu to delete the temp folder and rebuild the data. This would only need to happen if new tanks are added or older ones changed by World of Tanks.

Other features of Tank Exporter...
Displaying of Textures and UV maps... It can also save the UV map as a texture you can use as a painting template for texture modding.
If the texture view window is open and the "show UVs" is selected, mousing over the tank will show that UV on the tank and in the Texture View window.

The shader I wrote does a good job at rendering using PBR shading.
Also.. TE can display camouflage.. It works but there are a few very minor bugs..
There are buttons to hide each part of the tank. You show the tank as fully rendered or with out any textures. You can display the mesh edges also.
You can hide the grid in the view window.
Overall.. this app is very useful but to complete the entire editing/modding process, I recommend grabbing my Swizzler and XML editor programs as well.

Here is a link to my GitHub : https://github.com/mikeoverbay

Feel free to use my tools.. 
The file you want is the MSI. Its the installer.. Click it and on the next page in the upper right is the download link.

NOTE: Anything that is extracted from the .PKG files belongs to WARGAMING.NET... THEY OWN THAT DATA!
You can do modding with it but don't even think about posting any models on free model sites or worse.. trying to sale them. ITS ILLEGAL!!!

If you like and use my tools and want to show gradatude, there is a link in the upper right corner of Tank Exporters window :)

EDIT: This is a work in progress. If you are having problems using it or the results are not what you expected, send me a message with the issue you are having.
Because 3D apps export slightly different versions of FBX, it might take some testing and debug/code changes to get this working 100 percent with different apps.

Here is a change to the  M53's turrent.. Notice how the new machine guns are casting shadows. I was always under the impression the BSP2 model was used for this but from this image, that holds no water.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Coffee_, Oct 17 2018 - 22:26.

ChunkySquirrel #2 Posted Oct 22 2017 - 22:01

Major

• Players
  • 8328 battles
  • [ICBMT] ICBMT

I read it all and enjoyed it simply because how nice and informative it was set up.

Coffee_ #3 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 06:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles
Work is progressing..
There are bugs that are being fixed in the Import/export and writer sections.
Here's pic of a test .. Thanks to Milkym4n for testing and feed back.
Spoiler

Coffee_ #4 Posted Oct 24 2017 - 23:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles
Still sorting out issues.. I'm having a bit of trouble converting the normal vectors back in to the 888 compressed uint32.
But.. It does work at modding take geometry... There will be a new release late tonight or tomorrow once I get the normal conversion worked out.
EDIT: FIXED!!
Spoiler

Spoiler

I took all 3 diffuse maps and normal maps and created 2 larger maps.. In 3DS Max. I created a new material using those 2 maps.. Diffuse and Bump.
I edited the UVs and scaled and translated them to the proper place on the single large map. I renamed the Alma twin model to Alma_turret and exported the FBX as Alma_M53.FBX... Next I imported Alma_M53.FBX in to Tank Exporter.. It asked to extract the contents and seeing how I'm only interested in the turret.. that is the only box I checked along with LOD0 only. Once the fbx was imported.. I wrote the primitive file making sure only turret was checked.
I opened up the visual for the turret using my WoT XML editor and changed the path to the textures to their normal locations. I had to change the lightonly fx to normal and add in a line for the normal map. I also used Swizzler to convert the diffuse and normalmap to DDS and save them in the normal location under the tanks name in res_mods.
The edited bit of XML looks like this. This lights the twins with bump mapping and looks pretty darn good.
Spoiler
Alma is from the 'Rings" movie.. Fitting for this time of year :)

Edited by Coffee_, Jul 19 2018 - 17:20.

Coffee_ #5 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 18:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

TE is finding 549 tanks and adding them to the lists.

4 of these are no longer in the game but are in the data such as the E100 WT (Waffle)

Edited by Coffee_, Apr 18 2018 - 18:18.

sabinoplane #6 Posted Dec 10 2017 - 19:56

Private

• -Players-
  • 136 battles

Hello! I am a  noob at WoT modding so i've been surfing the engine for a while in search of a program that let me create .primitive files! Yours seems to do that but... Sadly I cant get it to work! I read the instructions and follow them, everything seems to be fine until i try to write primitives, it says i have not extracted data for this model (which idk if its normal) I click to stract from the PKG, it loads, and then I get an error!

This is my error report, im sorry some parts are in spanish but maybe it helps!

Spoiler

Any help would be appreciaded, i really want to mod this game!

Coffee_ #7 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 05:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

sabinoplane....

Does the model display right in tank exporter?

The tool only exports a model if a FBX has been loaded...
the menu item for this should be disabled until you load a valid FBX.

Make sure you set the game path to the games root folder.. World_of_Tanks.. some times maybe _NA is on the end.. it depends on how WoT was installed.

Make sure you set the res_mods path to the current game version.. currently its 0.9.20.1.4

Right click on a model and select 'Extract to res_mods Folder'... You only need to extract the Hull for this test....  Check your res_mods folder to make sure the path is right and that the tank data is written there.

Next... right click the same tank and select Export FBX... it does not matter where you save the FBX as long as you can remember where you exported it to.

Next... import the FBX back in to TE. Its under the File Menu selection.
Because you have not changed anything, you will need to tell it what to save in the next step. check ONLY the 'hull' check box and than 'Write file(s)'

post back if it works.

sabinoplane #8 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 18:12

Private

• -Players-
  • 136 battles

Oh! Thanks for replying!! Im so happy to find someone who knows how to do this, and also a program that isnt dead due to the wot updates! :D

Ill check all you asked now!

The model displays in FBX all right, both before and after editing (the textures change though!)

I checked the game path! It's all right!

Here, In the res_mods part, i was doing something wrong! I had selected the root "res_mods" folder, not the folder for the current version! Fixed this!

Extracted to res_mods folder, only hull, checked it, everything seems to have been correctly extracted!

Exported FBX!

Imported the same FBX i exported (with no changes, i think this is what you asked me to do? Correct me if i misunderestood!)

Writing primitives, Hull box checked

Nothing happened! No error reports! I think this means it worked?

Maybe it has something to do with the program I am using to edit the 3D model! I am using Maya instead of 3ds max! Exporting from Maya as an OBJ and then converting it to FBX With Autodesk FBX converter 2013!

I am going to check if my model works now that i corrected the Res_mods thing!

Oh no, Now I am getting the error earlier? Similar error, but when importing the FBX! Maybe its something to do with my model?

Tried with one of the older test models! Like a Pz. IV H with the a little detail I removed from the turret model just to see if it worked, imported all right! but got the error again while exporting!

If you want me to upload my models, or error reports or screenshots of anything just tell! And thanks for the help! :D

Coffee_ #9 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 19:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

Yes.. I wanted you to save it unedited to see of it saved OK with no changes... It does so the problem is in the FBX.
One thing that MUST happen... 

Maya can export FBX directly.. Id not convert it as it might lose information.

UV coordinates will screw up the model if they are missing or there are more than there are vertices in the model.

For every vertex, there must be exactly ONE UV coordinate.

In 3ds there is a channel info window that will list all the counts for vertices, and UVs.
Seeing how the exception is stating index out of range.. I would guess there are missing UVs for the vertices.
For maya I think you need to look at this.. It explains how to look at the models definition data... UV, vert and so on counts.

http://download.auto...mber=d30e156490

More than likely, there is a UV issue going on...
Hope this helps..

IstarFreyr #10 Posted Jan 29 2018 - 11:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
Your TE is very useful, i do appreciate your work!

[Edited, Problem solved]

Edited by IstarFreyr, Jan 30 2018 - 08:01.

wookiee_monster #11 Posted Mar 15 2018 - 00:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19274 battles

Hi Coffee_

Unfortunately when I try to import an FBX i get the following error

Spoiler

Any ideas on what im doing wrong or how I should be saving the FBX?

Cheers :)

Coffee_ #12 Posted Mar 16 2018 - 16:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

well... it looks like its crashing building the display list.. This can happen on some computers that don't support it. What video card/chip are you using?

Also.. if there is an issue with the UV count when you edit a model or export it.

I just tried to import the IS-7 that I exported some time ago... pre 9.22 release and it was messed up badly.

What I'd do is export the fbx of a tank and than try importing the FBX and see what happens.

Also.. you can look under "Model Info" after importing (if you get it to load) and see what it has for counts

wookiee_monster #13 Posted Mar 17 2018 - 02:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19274 battles

These are my specs...

Spoiler

I tried exporting an FBX then loading it and that worked (yay!)

So, i'm using Modo to do the mods and save out the FBX. Is it possible I am just not saving the right kind of FBX?

Coffee_ #14 Posted Mar 19 2018 - 14:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

Sorry for the delay..

Your using a nVidia card so there should be no issues with the hardware.

It is important how the settings are set in your FBX exporter.
Make sure that it exports TRIANGLES .. Not QUADS.

If there is a setting for per vertex smoothing groups.. UNCHECK that..
Usually the only thing that needs checked is export as triangles.

Don't export anything but the model.. there are no animations or lights.
You will probably have to mess with the settings to find what works.
There must be exactly one UV for each Vertex... In Max there is a way to show all the information about the model. vertex and uv totals.. I cant remember what its called and I dont have MAX installed.. 

Preuszen #15 Posted Apr 01 2018 - 03:25

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
it works fine, thank you for your work! But i have i little "problem" when i write the Hull or the Turret the Shadow from it is very very weird. is there a solution?
Greetings

Edited by Preuszen, Apr 02 2018 - 07:32.

Coffee_ #16 Posted Apr 05 2018 - 14:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

View PostPreuszen, on Mar 31 2018 - 21:25, said:

it works fine, thank you for your work! But i have i little "problem" when i write the Hull or the Turret the Shadow from it is very very weird. is there a solution?
Greetings

Which model are you editing?

wookiee_monster #17 Posted Apr 06 2018 - 11:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19274 battles
Hey Coffee. The program seems to work OK except I can't find the M4A3E8 Sherman anywhere

Coffee_ #18 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 17:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

View Postwookiee_monster, on Apr 06 2018 - 05:23, said:

Hey Coffee. The program seems to work OK except I can't find the M4A3E8 Sherman anywhere

let me check 

Yep.. Its missing and I think there are probably others as well.
I'm going to change how I search the pkg files.
I'll post an update here when I get it done.. Next few days I'm sure.

Edited by Coffee_, Apr 08 2018 - 18:44.

Gmer_freak #19 Posted Apr 08 2018 - 21:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5054 battles

I'm able to export the fbx, modify it, and then re-import it into the Model Exporter.  However, after it writes the primitives, I get an error when attempting to launch WOT.  It says the "entry point not found." I thought this was coincidental, but after reinstalling the entire client, doing the same thing again, I get the same error.

Is there a way to fix this.  I feel like I'm so close to being able to mod tank models with this tool.

Edited by Gmer_freak, Apr 08 2018 - 22:20.

Coffee_ #20 Posted Apr 09 2018 - 01:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 43282 battles

Gmer_freak...
Send me the FBX you exported after your modding to it... my email is thecooltool at hotmail.com .. I only need the FBX and what tanks its from, I dint need anything else.

wookie_monster.. I updated to version 30.. I fixed the missing Sherman and a bunch others. Its on the github..

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users