MM matchmaking balance

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

JohnnyO7 #1 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR

In the past two weeks, I've enjoyed a stellar 20% victory rate! It got worse since 9.20.1. The updated balance doesn't seem to help as I just finished playing 7 battles today with ZERO victories again and most fights were very lopsided. Same ratio happened over the weekend. I am sorry to all the trolls, I will not quit, although I admit I have lost a lot of enthusiasm for the game as a result.There is nothing wrong with my play either, although I am just average, there is no way I am SOLELY responsible for my team losing 80% of the time. 

I know that MM has changed to account for tank types in the last update but has Armor and Pen ever been considered in the equation? For instance, I now have the T-30 but only have the 120mm gun. I can't tell you how many battles I end with zero Dam because I can't pen any Tier 9-10 in the battle. That's frustrating for me and my teammates who count on me to help. I wonder how many battles are lost because the armor on one side outclasses the penetration of the other side. Skills should also be considered as I know that I will likely lose a fight if the tank I face has been fully researched and the tanker has 2-3 skills per crew. I wish those would factor in the faulty MM equation.

WG needs to care about this because as long as this sort of frustrating one-sided battles occur, I will not waste any more money on this game.

Xeraux #2 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:07

Major

• Players
  • 19576 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK

WOTLabs has you at a 49.84% WR over the last month.

You're also playing at around 550 WN8, which, to be frank, is pretty bad.

So you're A) not preforming well and B) not losing nearly as much as you think.

For the past two weeks I've enjoyed the same sort of stats that I've had for the last few months.

Please check both yourself and your facts before posting.

Ak_Lonewolf #3 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27921 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
^^^^

kogepan_man #4 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 6862 battles

View PostXeraux, on Oct 25 2017 - 21:07, said:

...and maybe YOU can check your attitude before you post.   He's looking for feedback and you respond with cyberbullying!

utgotye #5 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:17

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13147 battles
If you can't pen tier IX and X with a tier X gun, I would say you aren't aiming. 248 pen base would be...fair to meh at tier X.  At tier IX it's decent enough to make the tank work, keeping in mind that a T30 is really just a T29 with a bigger gun and more HP.  The fact that you actually have some armor (at least on the turret) is balanced by having lower pen on the gun, a gun that isn't that much different than the top gun on the M103, and that works.

Edited by utgotye, Oct 25 2017 - 22:18.

JohnnyO7 #6 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR

View PostXeraux, on Oct 25 2017 - 13:07, said:

WOTLabs has you at a 49.84% WR over the last month.

You're also playing at around 550 WN8, which, to be frank, is pretty bad.

So you're A) not preforming well and B) not losing nearly as much as you think.

For the past two weeks I've enjoyed the same sort of stats that I've had for the last few months.

I said the last TWO weeks, not last month. My WN8 is bad because I am playinig on my original account and had no idea how to play for a long time. If I cared about stats, I would start a new account and boast about being a a better player than others. I also have a bad rating because I constantly have to try and help the team by holding a side alone while the rest of my team plays the lemming train to boost THEIR stats. Result: I die quickly, alone, and for nothing. I also re-iterate, if you think that ONE tank affects 80% of the battle outcomes, we are not playing the same game.

Ak_Lonewolf #7 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27921 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL

View Postkogepan_man, on Oct 25 2017 - 21:13, said:

...and maybe YOU can check your attitude before you post.   He's looking for feedback and you respond with cyberbullying!

Its coming to the forum with anecdotal evidence vs based on actual facts. I don't care how you FEEL. You want help? Come to the forum with evidence, facts, and replays other wise expect nothing but criticism based on no facts. 

JohnnyO7 #8 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR

View Postutgotye, on Oct 25 2017 - 13:17, said:

If you can't pen tier IX and X with a tier X gun, I would say you aren't aiming. 248 pen base would be...fair to meh at tier X.  At tier IX it's decent enough to make the tank work, keeping in mind that a T30 is really just a T29 with a bigger gun and more HP.  The fact that you actually have some armor (at least on the turret) is balanced by having lower pen on the gun, a gun that isn't that much different than the top gun on the M103, and that works.

Problem with the T30 IS the 102mm hull armor, it forces me to be hull-down or snipe. It is a really really bad sniper so in a fight where I can't find a hull-down position, I have maybe one or two shots to take before I turn into a pasta strainer. That's what I mean by considering armor, if my hull gets easily penetrated by T7s while my shots bounce, can I really pull my weight in a fight?

Guaro_ #9 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10726 battles
  • [-LA-] -LA-

This happened to me too! What was a game changer for me is fill the gaps. If the team leave one side weak then you take responsibility to hold (distract) the enemy as much as you can on that side.

A minor number of tanks can hold a large number of tanks as long as they don't know the real magnitude of the threat. Only if they know that all tanks are spotted they can realize the truth and the average player don't pay much attention to the minimap, so you have a chance there.

It doesn't guaranty that you will win but will contribute greatly. After I started doing that, I usually end over 50% wins.

JohnnyO7 #10 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:38

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR
Sorry about the "anecdotal" evidence, that's not the point anyway. I was asking about using a balance of Armor vs Penetration and Skill in the MM equation. My win rate is really not the issue, just an illustration that MM could be better.

JohnnyFave #11 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45001 battles

I feel your pain, OP. 

My overall average is 52%+, last 7 days 42%, last few days 25%. Last night logged off and did something else for the evening rather than willingly subject myself to the abuse. I'm not sure what's gone wrong lately - pretty sure it's not me as I'm getting my usual High Calibers, etc... 

I gotta share too, got one of those "I like to do your Mom" comments last night - to which I stated my Mom passed in 2010 while crossing the street was hit by a truck (true story). The response? "Necro" Imagine that. Didn't get riled up, just considered the personality of the source of a comment like that. Proceeded to turn off friendly chat. 

This game sometimes... 

JohnnyO7 #12 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR

View PostJohnnyFave, on Oct 25 2017 - 13:44, said:

I feel your pain, OP. 

My overall average is 52%+, last 7 days 42%, last few days 25%. Last night logged off and did something else for the evening rather than willingly subject myself to the abuse. I'm not sure what's gone wrong lately - pretty sure it's not me as I'm getting my usual High Calibers, etc... 

I gotta share too, got one of those "I like to do your Mom" comments last night - to which I stated my Mom passed in 2010 while crossing the street was hit by a truck (true story). The response? "Necro" Imagine that. Didn't get riled up, just considered the personality of the source of a comment like that. Proceeded to turn off friendly chat. 

This game sometimes... 

Thanks for sharing, Johnny. It just shows to me that there is another factor in determining battle outcomes that isn't considered and probably should be.

BattlecryGWJ #13 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 22:55

Major

• Players
  • 33358 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

View PostJohnnyO7, on Oct 25 2017 - 15:34, said:

Problem with the T30 IS the 102mm hull armor, it forces me to be hull-down or snipe.

Try playing second line support if you're not top tier.  If you're backing up a heavy it makes them harder to flank and you're not engaging from "sniper" ranges.

View PostJohnnyO7, on Oct 25 2017 - 15:38, said:

I was asking about using a balance of Armor vs Penetration and Skill in the MM equation.

They're talking about balancing the tanks by "role" which would theoretically address the armor vs penetration matter that you're suggesting (though I'm personally not a fan of the concept) and you're unlikely to ever see skill match making (for reasons which have been endlessly discussed on these and other forums), unless you want to play ranked battles.

Edited by BattlecryGWJ, Oct 25 2017 - 22:58.

JohnnyO7 #14 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR
For those still reading this thread, I just checked WOTLabs and I would advise against using that site for stats. It claims I have been in 317 battles in the past 24hrs, as well as 7 days, as well as the past 30 days!!! In actuality when I check the WOT Assistant app (which is what I use to track my progress) it more accurately reports that I have fought 180 battles in the past 30 days which is in FACT TRUE. It also reports a severe drop in my Win rate since Oct 15th. Xeraux, please verify YOUR facts before posting!

Doomslinger__ #15 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21 battles
All I have to say is if you can't pen with 248 pen gun, you are doing something wrong. Then there is the gold round that has almost 300 pen if  you don't know weak spots and you just want to double tap 2 for "skill" rounds. I think it is user error in your situation, not a special losing mm they are give only to just you. You are not that important to them so do you really think they would take the time to adjust your mm to make you lose any more than some other random player? I mean they have messed up marks of excellence, friends lists, chat server and the list goes on. Do you really think they have the resources to mess with each players mm?

Tolos #16 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View Postkogepan_man, on Oct 25 2017 - 21:13, said:

How in the hell is telling people the truth bullying...my god...

Doomslinger__ #17 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

View PostTolos, on Oct 25 2017 - 18:01, said:

The truth hurts I guess...

JohnnyO7 #18 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 10491 battles
  • [1CAR] 1CAR

View PostTolos, on Oct 25 2017 - 14:01, said:

Doomslinger, check my prev post, the WOTLbas are grossly wrong so Xeraux was wrongly making assumptions.

utgotye #19 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13147 battles

View PostJohnnyO7, on Oct 25 2017 - 15:34, said:

Problem with the T30 IS the 102mm hull armor, it forces me to be hull-down or snipe. It is a really really bad sniper so in a fight where I can't find a hull-down position, I have maybe one or two shots to take before I turn into a pasta strainer. That's what I mean by considering armor, if my hull gets easily penetrated by T7s while my shots bounce, can I really pull my weight in a fight?

That's a fair enough point.  If less than useful armor is the issues, play it like you would play a tier VIII heavy in a tier X game and see what happens.  If you have to, check out how people are playing the T34 and having success.  That's essentially what you are playing.

I'm in the middle of multiple grinds at present so I'm less concerned about winning than doing what I can and getting the most out of a game, win or lose.  There's nights where I only win 4-5 out of 20.  There's others that I win 15.  At the end of the night I check my stats.  If I lost because I was the problem, that's one thing, but if I'm pulling my weight and/or more and still not winning, there's very little I can do about it.  No sense in worrying about something I can't control: dog[edited] awful teams.

Mudman24 #20 Posted Oct 25 2017 - 23:13

Major

• Players
  • 36283 battles
YOu should stop worrying about WR and Wn8 and just play for fun.

Also tagged with MM, matchmaking, balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users