★ Charioteer Review: Your Glowing Chariot to Victory ★

Charioteer Guide Review Tier 8 Tank Destroyer British The Scorpions Den Fjords Mountain Goating Mobility

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Scorpiany #1 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 04:00

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 34381 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Which vehicle has the camo of a light tank, mobility of a medium and a gun which even makes Tier 10 mediums jealous? None other than the Charioteer, your ride to victory!

In this guide, I shall cover all of the various Pros and Cons of the Charioteer, explain the gun and equipment choices, give you a general overview of its gameplay style and compare it to other Tier 8 TD's. Let's get started, shall we?

Table of Contents:

• General overview (Pros and Cons)
  • Equipment, ammo and consumable layout
  • Gun performance
  • Armor layout
  • Gameplay style
  • Comparison to other same-class tanks of its Tier
  • Overall Rating

General Overview (Basically a TL;DR of the rest of the guide):

Pros:

Very good camouflage values makes it effective at ambushing tanks

Incredible penetration with its standard shells... It's even better than most Tier 10 medium tanks!

Very mobile vehicle, with a great HP/ton and very solid top speed / reverse speed limits

Surprisngly quick to turn for a Tank Destroyer; driving it feels more like a medium than a TD

Very good gun handling when turning the turret. If you're sitting still, it rarely has to re-aim

Fully traversable turret - Further making the vehicle feel like a up-gunned medium

Incredible shell velocity of 1,478 m/s - One of the highest values in the game. Even the HESH and HE shells are very fast flying, at 1,173 m/s.

Almost no penetration loss over distance. It only drops by 10mm at 500m, which is spectacular.

★ Great gun depression of 10 degrees. Only the Swedish TD's will be more flexible over ridges!

Neutrals:

Alright accuracy of 0.35m. The tank highly benefits from crew skills & food, but it still feels like a proper sniper

Lowish alpha damage for a TD, of only 390.

Gets 210 pen HESH as Premium, instead of a higher pen Premium shell. This can work both for and against you, so I'm marking it down as a neutral

Average DPM of 2,319. It's certainly not bad, but it's far from a rapid assassination either.

Cons:

Θ Rather lengthy aiming time after you move, due to a mediocre aim time of 2.4 seconds and rather poor gun handling stats

Θ Very thin armor and only 1,050 HP means that you can easily be destroyed if you're out of position

Θ Gun elevation is very limited at only 12 degrees, so be careful if the enemy is above you

Θ Limited ammo capacity of 30 shells. While this isn't an issue in most battles, you can run very low in more intense carries

Θ Turret traverse speed is rather slow, so you can't fully embrace your inner medium tank.

Gun Reliability amiqh7i.png The Charioteer's gun handling may be poor, but once you let the gun aim in, it becomes a pin-point sniper.
Frontal Armor amiqh7i.png Armor? I'm confused.
Overall Armor dVUMD7l.png No seriously, what is this armor you speak of?
Survivability dVUMD7l.png I still don't understand what this armor stuff is, but with only 1,050 hit points, you won't be surviving for very long.
Flexibility dVUMD7l.png A fully traversable turret on a mobile platform with 10 degrees of gun depression makes this one of the most flexible Tank Destroyers in the game.
Mobility amiqh7i.png The Charioteer is definitely a fast vehicle. While it's not quite as mobile as a CDA or a UDES, it's certainly not too far behind either.
Agility amiqh7i.png The traverse speeds on the Charioteer are surprisngly good, and while there are more nimble vehicles out there, the Charioteer can pull off some moves of its own too.
Fear Factor amiqh7i.png The Charioteer's 390 alpha damage is far from scary, but the flexibility of the platform will still bring some questions into people's minds about whether they should engage you or not.
Short-Term Impact amiqh7i.png The mediocre DPM and 390 alpha damage won't change the outcome of a flank very quickly, and without any armor to lead a push, it's not going to transform the pace of a flank on its own.
Long-Term Influence amiqh7i.png Throughout the battle however, the Charioteer is the perfect platform to remain in the fight and to pick off your opponents one by one, regardless of what your allies are doing.
Carry Potential amiqh7i.png The Charioteer is very competent of carrying a battle on its own with some creative and intelligent positioning. It's very flexible, and fully capable of doing its own thing regardless of the team.
Profitability amiqh7i.png 1k Credits per shell, with poor gun handling isn't great for profitability. Add on the fact that the HESH shells are quite expensive for little extra damage, and this is far from a profitable vehicle to play.

Equipment:

Gun Rammer (Recommended)If you can mount a Gun Rammer, you should. Charioteer is no exception.

Gun Laying Drive (Recommended): The Charioteer's poor gun handling and poor base aiming time result in the aim time being one the most prominent drawbacks of the vehicle. A Gun Laying Drive can really help alleviate this issue.

Binoculars (Recommended): 370m View Range isn't quite great enough to rock Optics, so I would personally use Binoculars to be able to really out-spot your opponents.

Coated Optics: On the other hand of the coin however, if you're more about moving around throughout the battle, Optics can still work out. It's a matter of preference.

Improved Ventilation: I would avoid mounting Vents, as they're generally overrated. Whilst it is true that they improve many characterstics of a tank, they have such a small impact in each area that it rarely actually makes a difference in battle. In contrast, a piece of equipment that improves a single characteristic by 10%, is much more likely to see a noticeable impact in a match. That being said, if you're not a fan of Gun Laying Drives, then Vents could be an option (Although even then, I'd rather use Optics and Binocs, if you want to drop the Gun Laying Drive).

Ammo:

My ammo layout on the Charioteer is 25 APCR, 5 HESH.

The Charioteer's Premium ammo is HESH, which is rather situational. Seeing how the Premium HESH shells are just higher penetration versions of the standard HE, I would take 5 of the Premium variants and leave the standard version behind. The rest should be filled up by the tank's APCR shells.

Consumables:

Small First Aid Kit (Recommended): Crew deaths happen. Don't risk it.

Small Repair Kit (Recommended): While the Charioteer does have a turret, is certainly doesn't have any armor and can get ammo racked / tracked easily. Run a Repair Kit.

Pudding & Tea (Recommended)The Charioteer's gun handling and aiming time, combined with the average accuracy are the primary drawbacks of the vehicle. If you can improve these by using Pudding & Tea, you should.

Fire Extinguisher: The Charioteer doesn't get set on fire very often, since most penetrating hits either go in through the turret, or the front of the hull. Regardless, if you don't have the Credits to spare for Pudding & Tea, or you simply don't want to risk burning to a crisp, then a Fire Extinguisher will do just fine.

105 Octane Gas: The Charioteer is already pretty mobile, but enhancing the mobility even further while also increasing the turret traverse speeds can help the tank utilize two of its key strengths even further.

Guns:

The Charioteer is certainly an interesting vehicle, with a gun that up until recently did not have any competition quite like it. However, with the introduction of the AMX CDA, it now has something to be compared to.

Below, I've compared the Charioteer's gun to the recently added Frenchy. On the left is the Charioteer's cannon, on the right is the AMX CDA's gun. A blue value is superior, whilst a green value is relatively tied (Within 5% of the other value). (Please note that all values are "stock", prior to any equipment mounting)

Guns: Charioteer (105mm) AMX CDA (105mm)
Rate of Fire: 6.20 5.44

Aiming Time:

2.30 1.92
Accuracy: .34 .29
DPM: 2,416.12 2,121.99
Penetration: 268/210/105 260/310/53
Damage: 390/480/480 390/390/480
Shell Velocity: 1,478/1,173/1,173 1,525/1,000/700
Soft Stats: .27/.27/.10 .21/.21/.10
Gun Angles: -10/+12 -8/+20
Ammo Capacity: 30 40

The verdict? The Charioteer will have a distinct advantage with its DPM and gun depression, but falls significantly behind in accuracy, aiming time and gun handling.

The Premium ammo on the Charioteer is an interesting choice, allowing you to further amplify your DPM advantage if you're in a position to use it, but will also be greatly insufficient against vehicles such as the Type 5 Heavy, leaving you to hope you can position well enough to penetrate with your (very nice) standard APCR shells.

Overall, I'd say that the AMX CDA has a slightly better gun, but the Charioteer's gun is still a kicka*s cannon without a shadow of a doubt.

How to play it:

The Charioteer is a great support tank and sniper, doing wonders when it's able to use its mobility to relocate into sneaky positions. Once in a good spot, it can use its great camo and gun to begin picking away at opposing vehicles.

On the other hand, because the tank is so mobile and has a turret, you're able to play up-close if needed as well, still providing support to your allies, and harassing unsuspecting enemy vehicles. You're also able to use this mobility & turret advantage in order to go flanking other Tank Destroyers... Does this make the Charioteer a Tank Destroyer-Destroyer? Essentially, it can embrace the role of a medium tank if it's necessary.

The recently buffed gun depression lets this tank get creative with ridgelines now too. Whether you want to set up ambush shots, spot from cheeky positions or just provide other kinds of support to your allies, you now have the flexibility with the gun to do so.

Comparison to same-Tier Tank Destroyers:

HP: Very Bad.

1,050 HP is extremely low, and while not quite at the bottom, it's still near the low-end. This isn't surprising, considering the Charioteer has no armor to speak of.

Armor: Very Bad.

I still have no evidence that this "armor" thing even exists in the first place, but apparently the Rhm and Skorpion G manage to have less of it, so the Charioteer isn't quite at the bottom here. Nonetheless, you shouldn't expect to bounce any shells, ever.

Mobility: Good.

The Charioteer is definitely a very mobile tank, and can easily get around the battlefield. However, there are faster TD's at Tier 8, such as the Kanonenene, CDA and UDES.

DPM: Good.

The 2.4k DPM of the Charioteer isn't nearly as impressive as it once was, with many vehicles having higher values. However, in comparison to other Tier 8 TD's, it's still above average.

Penetration: Very Good.

268mm of standard APCR penetration is at the very top now that the ISU-152 was nerfed, although it doesn't quite reach the Strv S1's and UDES 03's levels of pen. Do keep in mind that the Premium ammo has less pen than the standard shells, despite having amazing pen for HE / HESH.

Alpha damage: Bad.

390 alpha damage is on the bottom end of Tank Destroyers, with only 3 TD's having less.

Aiming SpeedVery bad.

A 2.4 second aim time is quite lengthy, and does make a Gun Laying Drive very appealing to use.

Gun Handling: Very bad.

The Charioteer's gun handling is pretty tragic, which makes the aiming time noticeabley worse than it otherwise would be.

Accuracy: Average.

The Charioteer's accuracy isn't nearly as good as it once was for a TD, with Swedish TD's, the CDA and other such vehicles taking the crown. Regardless, .34 isn't a bad value, and can't be scoffed at either.

Shell Velocity: Very Good.

The Charioteer may not be the crown holder of shell velocity at Tier 8, with the AMX CDA taking that spot, but it still is at the very top, with shell velocity that would make most Tier 10 medium tanks very happy.

View Range: Good.

370m View Range isn't at the top, but is still a reasonable value that can let the Charioteer spot for itself with some proper equipment.

Camo Value: Good.

The Charioteer has once again been dethroned compared to its position in the game 2 years ago in regards to camo value, but it remains a very stealthy hunter nonetheless.

Battle effectiveness: Best in Class.

Despite the changes to the game since the Charioteer has been introduced, the Charioteer remains one of the best Tank Destroyers for carrying battles in the game. The recent buffs to gun depression has only helped it secure this role for keeps.

Overall Rating:

10/10 (Perfect - Bias levels achieved!)

The Charioteer is an absolute pleasure to play, and despite 3 years of powercreep in the game since it was introduced, it remains at the absolute top of Tier 8 tanks; not just Tank Destroyers.

It is one of the most carry-capable vehicles in the hands of a good player, and can do absolutely amazing things in the battle.

The recent doubling of its gun depression from 5 degrees to 10 degrees, has secured its place at the very top for as long as the eye can see. It remains one of the most enjoyable Tier 8 vehicles to play, especially in the new harsh MM environment. The Charioteer is one of the few vehicles that manages to pull through, and remain successful in battle.

Thanks for reading! I hope this guide was helpful! I genuinely wish all of you the very best of luck and fun, both in real life and on the battlefield.

(The Charioteer sitting gracefully above the Fjords.)

Edited by Scorpiany, Oct 27 2017 - 15:17.

TwinBaka #2 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 04:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13872 battles

Wow, how can you promote physics abuse in this game? This community is already bad enough, abusing physics is just making pros better and putting down noobs even more. 

Don't complain when all the other players leave the game because they're tired of your game breaking abuse.

Scorpiany #3 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 04:08

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 34381 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostTwinTanker, on Oct 26 2017 - 20:05, said:

Wow, how can you promote physics abuse in this game? This community is already bad enough, abusing physics is just making pros better and putting down noobs even more. 

Don't complain when all the other players leave the game because they're tired of your game breaking abuse.

Damn it friend, you're in a Discord dedicated to mountain goating! You participate in our goating sessions!

I need to stop posting the guides in my Discord, you guys are absolute little trolls. :harp: Nah... Content for everyone!

Edited by Scorpiany, Oct 27 2017 - 04:20.

Aegis270 #4 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 04:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles
This is on my list now that the Challenger has been buffed. I served my time in the tier 7 17 pounder pits of misery, and I have no desire to go back for another grind. 

Gothraul #5 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 04:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 2061 battles
The gun handling drove me nuts when I had it but of all places I aced it on a city map nibbling off higher tiers.

saru_richard #6 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 05:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 24969 battles
  • [NA-CL] NA-CL
yet it still gets [edited]over by HE...

lordawesome7 #7 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 05:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23872 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

i wouldn't say its a flexible or as good as you praise it and you underestimate the HESH rounds by miles

the turret traverse is quite slow, so you can't expect to be that flexible, it turns at a molasses pace, even by TD standards

on the flip side the HESH with 210 pen is devastating, "a little" more like a [edited]ton, when using HESH, you raise for DPM substantially and can pen reliably at top tier or against paper thins like the bc cause they have no armor; it is also good against tanks that rely heavily on armor angles vs. raw armor; so you can cheese an IS 3's hull with HESH

you have to keep in mind this is the cent 7/1 a tier under with better RoF, its not bad, but its not perfect (oh, and you really underestimated that 210 pen HESH, it cheeses so many things as long as RNG doesn't hit tracks)

leeuniverse #8 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 08:41

Major

• Players
  • 35537 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

Uh....  Why didn't you:

1. Tell about the slow as donkey crap Turret Speed?

2. Tell the fact that the camo is worth donkey crap because of the crap viewrange and others viewrange overriding it?

3. You did mention the HP level as being poor, but holy ship it's lower than light tanks.

Nevertheless, the gun depression might have finally made the tank worth having now, after selling it 3 times before hoping it would be decent, but always disappointed.

I played it a fair amount on the Test Server, and I guess it might be livable now to play, but I still hate the above issues and the bad gun elevation.

Avalon304 #9 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 09:31

Major

• Players
  • 20268 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

Good guide. This is another one of my 3 mark targets, but Im super far from that...

I do think you underestimate the HESH though.

I really wish they hadnt buffed the depression though... this tank was already amazing, and now its just slightly OP.

telecastermds #10 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 12:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12555 battles
Love the Charioteer even though I don't have a great WR (49.1%) WN8 999.85 in it yet.  The gun does seem to miss snap shots and some long range ones.  The added gun depression is awesome.  I use 100 octane fuel to boost turret speed cheaply.  

LT_Moon #11 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 14:36

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 48732 battles
Thanks for the good guide! I am struggling with Brit tanks...idk why. But your guide surely will make my Charioteer better! 

Scorpiany #12 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 15:21

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 34381 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Postleeuniverse, on Oct 27 2017 - 00:41, said:

Uh....  Why didn't you:

1. Tell about the slow as donkey crap Turret Speed?

2. Tell the fact that the camo is worth donkey crap because of the crap viewrange and others viewrange overriding it?

3. You did mention the HP level as being poor, but holy ship it's lower than light tanks.

Nevertheless, the gun depression might have finally made the tank worth having now, after selling it 3 times before hoping it would be decent, but always disappointed.

I played it a fair amount on the Test Server, and I guess it might be livable now to play, but I still hate the above issues and the bad gun elevation.

I just added the poor turret traverse speed as a con. I thought I had gotten it in there, looks like I missed it.

SenorDucKK #13 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 15:44

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 19610 battles

View Postlordawesome7, on Oct 26 2017 - 22:38, said:

i wouldn't say its a flexible or as good as you praise it and you underestimate the HESH rounds by miles

the turret traverse is quite slow, so you can't expect to be that flexible, it turns at a molasses pace, even by TD standards

on the flip side the HESH with 210 pen is devastating, "a little" more like a [edited]ton, when using HESH, you raise for DPM substantially and can pen reliably at top tier or against paper thins like the bc cause they have no armor; it is also good against tanks that rely heavily on armor angles vs. raw armor; so you can cheese an IS 3's hull with HESH

you have to keep in mind this is the cent 7/1 a tier under with better RoF, its not bad, but its not perfect (oh, and you really underestimated that 210 pen HESH, it cheeses so many things as long as RNG doesn't hit tracks)

I would say it's exactly as he describes being flexible. The turret traverse is slow, sure! that doesn't make it less flexible in my opinion. This tank has the ability to get to a different place on the map at any time in the game better than most TDs and the ability to even have a turret along with new depression of 10 degrees allow it to work even more positions, the definition of flexibility to me right there, pseudo medium when needed. I will also say I agree with him and disagree with you regarding the HESH. I found it to be unreliable(and expensive) even when shooting targets that should pen. Don't get me wrong I used it to some success but overall it was just not reliable enough as the standard apcr and while the shell is still very fast for an HE type, the apcr is better and the HESH can still roll for damage in your standard shells realm. I actually carried 26/4 after being annoyed with the HESH.

This was my experience in my 250+ games and a 3rd mark with this TD back when it had 5 degrees. I would also add with a great crew (bia, recon, situational) you can run vents and optics to get above the 445m range and be a strong pseudo medium(without food) :)  good review.

Edited by SenorDucKK, Oct 27 2017 - 15:45.

telecastermds #14 Posted Oct 27 2017 - 17:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12555 battles
I only carry a couple premium HESH as the standard APCR is good for anything but super heavies in the front.  The cheap HESH I carry for arty and lightly armored vehicles like other Charioteers.  :D

BeastsOfBattle #15 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 08:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12843 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
I'm really enjoying the Charioteer right now but the HESH doesn't seem to do much, it seems to do less damage than the APCR most of the time when I do use it. Tonight for example I had a nice shot on an e25 and happened to have a premium HESH in the chamber so I shot it, did 155 damage.

moogleslam #16 Posted Jun 27 2018 - 16:04

Major

• Players
  • 40341 battles
Is this guide still accurate, or have there been changes/buffs to the tank's characteristics in the last ~year?  Particularly curious about the equipment choices as the wiki says the aiming time is good, so does it still need a GLD?

Imspotting #17 Posted Jun 27 2018 - 17:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23007 battles
  • [TRAX] TRAX

When trying to pinpoint weaknesses the accuracy is really lacking it almost feels derpy. The Conway(a true med) on the other hand hits em every time no problem and gets crazy dpm plus tier 9 td hp (I still don't quite understand why the td/med hp ratios are so different at tier 9-10 than tier 8) making it easily capable of taking on any same tier med in a brawl (unless the med is very flexible and manages to get close enough to make the turret traverse hurt). But the conways top speed and camo(and size) just don't compare with the charioteer at all.

Imspotting #18 Posted Jun 27 2018 - 19:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23007 battles
  • [TRAX] TRAX
Just put on pudding and played a few games all of the sudden it feels much more accurate. It's shameful. I don't really mind when pudding makes a tank a bit better at what it is already good at but when it can severely mitigate a major weakness of a vehicle the result is not  a bit more effectiveness but a large boost to effectiveness which is plain PTW.

Staz211 #19 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 00:01

Major

• Players
  • 27045 battles

I unlocked the Challenger yesterday. Should I just skip it and go strait to the Charioteer? Haha

I also think I'm keeping the Firefly. I dont know why but I really like it, and I have a weird urge to three mark it. 

Pongo #20 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 00:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23841 battles
all about how much free xp you want to use on the challanger, I think with the big gun it can be functional. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users