★ Charioteer Review: Your Glowing Chariot to Victory ★

Charioteer Guide Review Tier 8 Tank Destroyer British The Scorpions Den Fjords Mountain Goating Mobility

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

_Red_Saaryn_ #21 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 00:35

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14839 battles
  • [-IKR-] -IKR-
Fear factor in a charioteer?, pssh! I didn't fear them in my tier 5 tanks when mm had the +3/-3 even less in my tier 6, just disable the gun with a shot in the turret, if he ran out of repairs it will be easy to farm damage, if repair just move so he needs to aim and take advantage of its gun handling then shot HE again to disable it's gun and circle it with your favorite type of shell to shot (I personally prefer to torch them with HE only ) and all of that in a tier 6

Staz211 #22 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 01:52

Major

• Players
  • 23730 battles

View PostPongo, on Jun 27 2018 - 18:26, said:

all about how much free xp you want to use on the challanger, I think with the big gun it can be functional. 

I have more than 400k free xp already available for use, and another 700k that can be converted. 

Free XP is no object, ha. 

BeastsOfBattle #23 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 02:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11088 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Try the Challenger  you might like it. It is one of my favorite tanks though I do like the Charioteer better even though I have a higher win rate in the Challenger (52%). 

_AlphaAndOmega_ #24 Posted Jun 28 2018 - 15:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14279 battles
  • [PIXY] PIXY

I'm just finishing up the Challenger and fully upgraded with the 35 pounder gun it's very good. A pleasure to play. I run rammer, vents and binocs with a 3 skill BIA crew. But you need the bigger gun, the 17 pounder just doesn't do it against higher tiers. But the 35 pounder I rarely use the prem shells as 220 pen is good enough for almost all targets.

I've run 56% WR and 2400 WN8 in it over about 75 games. Got 1st MOE around game 55.

Edited by _AlphaAndOmega_, Jun 28 2018 - 15:54.

Scorpiany #25 Posted Jun 30 2018 - 08:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 32445 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostBeastsOfBattle, on Jun 27 2018 - 17:12, said:

Try the Challenger  you might like it. It is one of my favorite tanks though I do like the Charioteer better even though I have a higher win rate in the Challenger (52%). 

View Post_AlphaAndOmega_, on Jun 28 2018 - 06:53, said:

I'm just finishing up the Challenger and fully upgraded with the 35 pounder gun it's very good. A pleasure to play. I run rammer, vents and binocs with a 3 skill BIA crew. But you need the bigger gun, the 17 pounder just doesn't do it against higher tiers. But the 35 pounder I rarely use the prem shells as 220 pen is good enough for almost all targets.

I've run 56% WR and 2400 WN8 in it over about 75 games. Got 1st MOE around game 55.

I prefer playing the Challenger with the 17 pounder; the DPM, aim time and accuracy are something I love to focus down on. The 32 pounder has surprisingly good gun stats for the 280 alpha damage, but the 17 pounder still takes it to another level.

3-marking it was much more fun for me with the 17 pounder .Although admittedly the pen / alpha of the 32 pounder did come in handy when I used it, I just didn't feel like I was performing any better than I did with the 17 pounder, and the 17 pounder had the fun factor with the wilder rate of fire and insanely good accuracy / aim time stats.

Ded_man #26 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 04:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24075 battles
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-

I don’t know why it took me so long to actually be interested is getting this TD, but it’s now my most fav non-premi vehicle to play. The review is on point. Wish it had more elevation as I miss plenty of opurtune shots when I’m on a slope that  won’t allow me to even level the gun. (Like Prok, 1 line E/F area to fire down center....not happening.) 

Edited by Ded_man, Jul 06 2018 - 04:45.

Staz211 #27 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 05:19

Major

• Players
  • 23730 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Jun 30 2018 - 02:16, said:

I prefer playing the Challenger with the 17 pounder; the DPM, aim time and accuracy are something I love to focus down on. The 32 pounder has surprisingly good gun stats for the 280 alpha damage, but the 17 pounder still takes it to another level.

3-marking it was much more fun for me with the 17 pounder .Although admittedly the pen / alpha of the 32 pounder did come in handy when I used it, I just didn't feel like I was performing any better than I did with the 17 pounder, and the 17 pounder had the fun factor with the wilder rate of fire and insanely good accuracy / aim time stats.

I just finished up the grind on the Challenger with the 32 pounder. Absolutely loved that tank. I can honestly say that (minus the non-fully traversable turret) it was a joy to play. I may even keep it, which is unheard of for me with regards tanks below Tier VIII.

That said, and I know you're not going to like this, the Charioteer is been exceptionally disappointing thus far. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but that TD drives me absolutely crazy. I find the gun to been incredibly unreliable; the accuracy is a lie, and 268mm pen? Ha! My butt it has 268mm of pen. 

The camo rating also seems to be a heck of a lot worse than the stats indicate, and I consistantly low roll on the damage. I feel like the alpha is more towards 350 than 390. The HESH (with 230mm pen) has failed to penetrate the flat side or rear of paper thin tanks on more than one occasion. I also just can't seem to win in it. 

I play the Charioteer like I played the Challenger: as a medium tank 80% of the time; as a TD 20% of the time. 

I've had a single match in the Charioteer so far that has given me a window into what the vehicle might be capable of. Every other match has been a near disaster. I want to like this vehicle, but dear God....

(I could also just be on a bad streak. I dropped almost 1k DPG overall in my OBJ 430U last night, and lost 3% MOE on another vehicle I'm working on).

Ded_man #28 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 05:32

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24075 battles
  • [-OGR-] -OGR-

View PostStaz211, on Jul 05 2018 - 23:19, said:

That said, and I know you're not going to like this, the Charioteer is been exceptionally disappointing thus far. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but that TD drives me absolutely crazy. I find the gun to been incredibly unreliable; the accuracy is a lie, and 268mm pen? Ha! My butt it has 268mm of pen. 

The camo rating also seems to be a heck of a lot worse than the stats indicate, and I consistantly low roll on the damage. I feel like the alpha is more towards 350 than 390. The HESH (with 230mm pen) has failed to penetrate the flat side or rear of paper thin tanks on more than one occasion. I also just can't seem to win in it. 

I play the Charioteer like I played the Challenger: as a medium tank 80% of the time; as a TD 20% of the time. 

I've had a single match in the Charioteer so far that has given me a window into what the vehicle might be capable of. Every other match has been a near disaster. I want to like this vehicle, but dear God....

It’s almost like you’re describing my experience with the Conway. What a piece of.....

I keep telling myself, I just gotta keep trying till I figure it out. But, I don’t like to force feed myself BS. 

BeastsOfBattle #29 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 06:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11088 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

The Charioteer gun does mess with you at times, it is not as consistent as the 17 pounder on the the Challenger but over all it performs well and really kicks [edited]at times. Wish it carried more ammo sometimes. Hesh is very unreliable in my experience, likely I'm not using it right or something.

Most of my games on the Challenger are with the 17 pounder and some with the 32, I've switched back to the 17 of late after reading this tread. I like the over all constancy and flexibility compared to the 32 but really can't make up my mind which is better. Late game I really like to have the fully rotating turret with the 17, much easier to play med tank. I get caught out by the limited rotation of the 32 when playing tag with other tanks around buildings etc... and it can't death circle or maneuver behind big slow tanks like the 17 can. 

24cups #30 Posted Jul 06 2018 - 13:25

Captain

• Players
  • 22529 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostBeastsOfBattle, on Jul 06 2018 - 00:00, said:

The Charioteer gun does mess with you at times, it is not as consistent as the 17 pounder on the the Challenger but over all it performs well and really kicks [edited]at times. Wish it carried more ammo sometimes. Hesh is very unreliable in my experience, likely I'm not using it right or something.

Most of my games on the Challenger are with the 17 pounder and some with the 32, I've switched back to the 17 of late after reading this tread. I like the over all constancy and flexibility compared to the 32 but really can't make up my mind which is better. Late game I really like to have the fully rotating turret with the 17, much easier to play med tank. I get caught out by the limited rotation of the 32 when playing tag with other tanks andbuildings etc... and it can't death circle or maneuver behind big slow tanks like the 17 can. 

I just unlocked the Charioteer . I found the Challenger ok once I figured out how to play it.

Liked the speed but found that turret traverse frustrating at times. 

telecastermds #31 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 17:31

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11769 battles
Wondering if I should go back and give the 20 pounder a try again. I am so tired of the 105 duffing shots even with a 4 skill crew

_Juris #32 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 18:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16983 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Very nice review, and I agree with ~95% of it.  I've been grinding this line recently, and a couple of my own observations/suggestions that i'd add that differ from yours.

Tank Characteristics:  I would actually rate the accuracy as bad.  I agree that from an objective point of view it's in the average category, but because of how this tank wants to play (from range, and definitely retreating/moving between shots), the accuracy can definitely be a serious issue, especially because it blooms a LOT.  This leads into my second point of difference with your recommendation, which is...

Equipment/Consumable Loadout:  Because this tank has no armor and is, well, a barn (even if no longer a sh*tty one), it attracts attention whenever spotted.  However, its accuracy means you will have difficulty playing effectively as a long-range sniper.  In order to make this tank most effective a mid-to-medium-long ranges (and very unusually), I have been playing this without the gun rammer.  Because it's so soft but needs to be closer than long-range to be effective, the number of game situations that will let you sit still and take advantage of a max DPM setup are few and far between.  Instead, i've set it up for max view range and gun handling, so i've been using optics, vents, and gun-laying drive for equipment.  This gives you 415m of view range, so running Pudding and Tea is a must (this bumps view range to 433m, if you have 100% situational awareness, you can hit the view range cap, and with BiA and Recon you have 463m).  As you can see, this has been pretty effective, and gives the best mitigation for the middling accuracy and poor aim time.

Otherwise, I completely agree with your assessment, and like you find this to be one of the most effective tier 8 tanks (especially among tech tree tanks) in the game.  The tier 7 is also insanely good now after the introduction of the 32-pounder, and is I think hands-down the most effective tier 7 tank in the game.

Edited by _Juris, Jul 12 2018 - 19:02.

Scorpiany #33 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 20:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 32445 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View Post_Juris, on Jul 12 2018 - 09:04, said:

Very nice review, and I agree with ~95% of it.  I've been grinding this line recently, and a couple of my own observations/suggestions that i'd add that differ from yours.

Tank Characteristics:  I would actually rate the accuracy as bad.  I agree that from an objective point of view it's in the average category, but because of how this tank wants to play (from range, and definitely retreating/moving between shots), the accuracy can definitely be a serious issue, especially because it blooms a LOT.  This leads into my second point of difference with your recommendation, which is...

Equipment/Consumable Loadout:  Because this tank has no armor and is, well, a barn (even if no longer a sh*tty one), it attracts attention whenever spotted.  However, its accuracy means you will have difficulty playing effectively as a long-range sniper.  In order to make this tank most effective a mid-to-medium-long ranges (and very unusually), I have been playing this without the gun rammer.  Because it's so soft but needs to be closer than long-range to be effective, the number of game situations that will let you sit still and take advantage of a max DPM setup are few and far between.  Instead, i've set it up for max view range and gun handling, so i've been using optics, vents, and gun-laying drive for equipment.  This gives you 415m of view range, so running Pudding and Tea is a must (this bumps view range to 433m, if you have 100% situational awareness, you can hit the view range cap, and with BiA and Recon you have 463m).  As you can see, this has been pretty effective, and gives the best mitigation for the middling accuracy and poor aim time.

Otherwise, I completely agree with your assessment, and like you find this to be one of the most effective tier 8 tanks (especially among tech tree tanks) in the game.  The tier 7 is also insanely good now after the introduction of the 32-pounder, and is I think hands-down the most effective tier 7 tank in the game.

I've actually begun to do this recently on several of my tanks that have bad gun handling - Dropping the Gun Rammer in favor of a Gun Laying Drive. There's no point to the DPM if you can't get the gun to hit the shot in the first place.

I'll have to update this review and several of my others keeping that in mind.

As far as accuracy vs. gun handling, accuracy refers to only being fully aimed, although it's definitely difficult to be fully aimed in the Charioteer, so I'll have to reassess how to reflect that in my reviews, beyond just creating 2 categories for gun handling vs. accuracy as I already have now.

RC_1140 #34 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:08

Captain

• Players
  • 57753 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

View Post_Juris, on Jul 12 2018 - 09:04, said:

I might need to try mine with no rammer, not something I really think of doing too often. Usually if it can mount a rammer it does. 

_Juris #35 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16983 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostRC_1140, on Jul 12 2018 - 15:08, said:

I might need to try mine with no rammer, not something I really think of doing too often. Usually if it can mount a rammer it does. 

I'll caveat my advice with the following - for this to work, you generally need to be of above-average skill, because most of the time what you're trading off is DPM for view range and gun handling.  Thus, if you're not very careful with your positioning, it's easy to do things that mostly give away all the advantages of the gun handling (and, of course, the DPM is already gone), and if you don't understand the camo/spotting system well enough to really make the added view range make a difference, there's definitely nothing wrong with keeping the max DPM setup.  However, i've recently done this with both the Challenger (tier 7) and Charioteer to good effect, as well as on other tanks that have theoretical DPM that is, in practice, difficult to fully utilize.

I also had good success with this on a few other tanks where either the aim time was a BIG problem, like the T30, or where they were relatively unarmored and thus benefitted more from between-shot discipline in retreating, going dark, and only then re-appearing but being able to aim quickly when you do, like the Leopard PTA.  I was able to three-mark both of those with this setup (in addition to the Challenger and Charioteer), so at the very least it doesn't nerf you so badly you can't play very well.

Edit:  One other thing I forgot to mention - maxing the accuracy and aim time, at the cost of some theoretical DPM, also makes the HESH rounds more viable, since your overall accuracy is better and you are able to aim down to it more quickly after re-positioning.  I was carrying 24/6 when playing with the DPM setup, but when moving to the aim time/accuracy setup, found that I wanted more HESH and went to 22/8, and was considering even trying 20/10.

Edited by _Juris, Jul 12 2018 - 21:37.

RC_1140 #36 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 21:52

Captain

• Players
  • 57753 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-

View Post_Juris, on Jul 12 2018 - 12:32, said:

I'll caveat my advice with the following - for this to work, you generally need to be of above-average skill, because most of the time what you're trading off is DPM for view range and gun handling.  Thus, if you're not very careful with your positioning, it's easy to do things that mostly give away all the advantages of the gun handling (and, of course, the DPM is already gone), and if you don't understand the camo/spotting system well enough to really make the added view range make a difference, there's definitely nothing wrong with keeping the max DPM setup.  However, i've recently done this with both the Challenger (tier 7) and Charioteer to good effect, as well as on other tanks that have theoretical DPM that is, in practice, difficult to fully utilize.

I also had good success with this on a few other tanks where either the aim time was a BIG problem, like the T30, or where they were relatively unarmored and thus benefitted more from between-shot discipline in retreating, going dark, and only then re-appearing but being able to aim quickly when you do, like the Leopard PTA.  I was able to three-mark both of those with this setup (in addition to the Challenger and Charioteer), so at the very least it doesn't nerf you so badly you can't play very well.

Edit:  One other thing I forgot to mention - maxing the accuracy and aim time, at the cost of some theoretical DPM, also makes the HESH rounds more viable, since your overall accuracy is better and you are able to aim down to it more quickly after re-positioning.  I was carrying 24/6 when playing with the DPM setup, but when moving to the aim time/accuracy setup, found that I wanted more HESH and went to 22/8, and was considering even trying 20/10.

There are 2 things that I know for sure make me do worse in the charioteer, I am too aggressive sometimes (though that is a problem in a lot of my tanks) and I use HESH more than I should. So anything that helps the HESH should be good for me. 

digitails #37 Posted Jul 12 2018 - 23:15

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 13110 battles
  • [ESG] ESG

I do not consider this tank a reliable long rang sniper due to the accuracy and lack of a premium apcr. I cannot consistently and reliably snipe the cupola of a type 4/5 from long range. 

I feel this tank does better closer than other td's. It's mobility means re positioning constantly is easier too and should be taken advantage of as much as possible. This can allow you to get side shots which is heaven with HESH rounds. I also sometimes load HESH against lower armored priority targets like auotloaders/Italian meds. Scorp Gs always get HESH to the face. 

I maximize camo and view range. Having max view range and camo allow you to bush hop closer to enemies so you can self spot also allowing you to fire. Upping DPM on this tank is a mistake. 

In certain situations I play this tank more aggressively. I had so much fun in this tank on frontline. It was a beast there.

This is one of my favorite brit tanks by far and I consider it the best of the line. 

_AlphaAndOmega_ #38 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 11:53

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 14279 battles
  • [PIXY] PIXY

I recently finished grinding the Charioteer and it was a fun tank for sure (and I had Unicum stats in over 100 battles)! The pen on the super heigh velocity APCR was enough to reliably pen most tier 10 tanks. Just don’t get too close. The accuracy could be trollish and you are guaranteed to miss if you’re not fully aimed. Forget about any snapshots or firing on the move. But if you stay at long/medium range in a bush... then you are a deadly tank. The mobility allows relocation often and getting to the front lines to mop up the last few enemies. I ran binocs, gld and vents/camo

now I’m on the Conway and it’s a different tank. The gun handling is much better, but it’s also huge. I’m running the Conway completely stock so far (only 20 battles or so), and it’s actually workable! The first tank I manage to play well in stock configuration. Plays a bit different in that you should stay further back and use the insane dpm (I have 3700+ without food). 

telecastermds #39 Posted Jul 13 2018 - 12:12

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11769 battles
The 20 pounder is more laser accurate and can snapshot better than the 105.  It's alpha damage is low and the pen isn't too bad compared to 105.  Not sure if I should use it instead of 105 now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users