Fair Play Policy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Dionysus_Zagreus #1 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 19:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36758 battles

I just noticed there was a notice about recent banned players and such who used illegal mods.

My question is: How does Wargaming know who's using these illegal mods?

Lesser_Spotted_Panzer #2 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 19:29

Captain

• Players
  • 64927 battles
Basically there is a program within the client that detects the presence of the mods on the player PC. How this is done is kept secret. Most likely they just scan the resmods folder and look for known filenames of cheating mods.

Dockmaster #3 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 19:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40559 battles
  • [ACES] ACES

View PostLesser_Spotted_Panzer, on Nov 01 2017 - 11:29, said:

Basically there is a program within the client that detects the presence of the mods on the player PC. How this is done is kept secret. Most likely they just scan the resmods folder and look for known filenames of cheating mods.

They must have something in place because the only way to catch someone using illegal mods in the past was when they posted videos to the forums or YouTube.

Insurrectional_Leftist #4 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 45063 battles

We really don't know, that's the point.  That's it in a nutshell.  We have no "real proof at all when you get right down to it in the end."  All we have is their word, and that's it, alone.  We have nothing but those little statements of numbers they post every month or so, period.  No proof of nothing.  No names, no violations, no list of whom, clans, etc. or for how long they had been getting away with it...  Or who is still getting away with it, ( and has been for EVER, and will still keep getting away with it forever! because of "Who they are! You really don't know for a fact if they are really Catching ANYONE for that Matter.  Why?, Because, there is no proof ?

And you don't know what they are being Banned for?  A simple little infraction that is only costing WG some extinguishers? verses costing an entire team match after match (frustrating many players over and over?) using highly illegal mods?  We don't know?  Do you trust them?  Who can say?

Edited by Insurrectional_Leftist, Nov 01 2017 - 19:51.

l_Chewie_l #5 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 19:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11342 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

I can verify that they are implementing bans and not just claiming to do so.  We had a guy in my former clan banned for a week over the summer.  The message from WG never told him exactly what he was using that was against the rules and he claims he never intentionally used anything that may have been against said rules so he went back to vanilla client and hasn't used Mods since.  

GeorgePreddy #6 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 19:58

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
Umm... exactly why do you want to know ??

saber1179 #7 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 20:03

Captain

• Players
  • 28234 battles
  • [WANKO] WANKO
will ban people for mods but those running bots are OK   guess we know who buys more gold and premium time:mellow:

Insurrectional_Leftist #8 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 20:04

Major

• Players
  • 45063 battles

View Postl_Chewie_l, on Nov 01 2017 - 18:56, said:

I can verify that they are implementing bans and not just claiming to do so.  We had a guy in my former clan banned for a week over the summer.  The message from WG never told him exactly what he was using that was against the rules and he claims he never intentionally used anything that may have been against said rules so he went back to vanilla client and hasn't used Mods since.  

And then there was that debacle in Warships about a month or more ago where a huge amount of the ships players were banned, or got warnings, because of a mod, which was designed apparently to cover up cheat mods with.  Something to do with red view, or visual mod something ? Something to the effect it would "cloak" illegal mods etc.  I have no knowledge of this? It was news to me...  Never heard of such stuff myself?  But, it shrunk the WoWs population down for a while. I don't know what the latest status is on that exactly?

Some claim they were not using it for that, others claim otherwise.  I was not playing at all during that time.  So, I don't know?

Everything about the whole process is "Fishy"

Tolos #9 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 20:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostInsurrectional_Leftist, on Nov 01 2017 - 19:04, said:

And then there was that debacle in Warships about a month or more ago where a huge amount of the ships players were banned, or got warnings, because of a mod, which was designed apparently to cover up cheat mods with.  Something to do with red view, or visual mod something ? Something to the effect it would "cloak" illegal mods etc.  I have no knowledge of this? It was news to me...  Never heard of such stuff myself?  But, it shrunk the WoWs population down for a while. I don't know what the latest status is on that exactly?

Some claim they were not using it for that, others claim otherwise.  I was not playing at all during that time.  So, I don't know?

Everything about the whole process is "Fishy"

I have to agree, WG seems to be wilfully vague about the whole process. Now is it because they want to keep players on their toes, or is it because their system isn't working as well as it should, or they would like it too.

Communication with its player base has ALWAYS be a low priority with WG. 

Insurrectional_Leftist #10 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 20:14

Major

• Players
  • 45063 battles

View PostTolos, on Nov 01 2017 - 19:08, said:

I have to agree, WG seems to be wilfully vague about the whole process. Now is it because they want to keep players on their toes, or is it because their system isn't working as well as it should, or they would like it too.

Communication with its player base has ALWAYS be a low priority with WG. 

Same here.  I don't know how to read them most of the time.  I don't know if I fully follow, or intuitively perceive how their thinking and mindset works along these lines in regards to this matter fully at all.  So, it leaves one to have to conjecture on how or what they might be operating based on internal policy in nature.

caramel #11 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 20:32

Major

• Players
  • 8008 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA
Another possibility is they don't want to reveal specifically what it is thats finding these mods as that allows players to bypass it. If you challenge people by announcing such things and then announce your system, inevitably, people will  by pass it. Just look at spore, E.A said it was absolutely unpiratable thanks to their new DRM system, ends up as the most pirated game of all time 3 days before its release.

Rake #12 Posted Nov 01 2017 - 20:44

Major

• Players
  • 49085 battles

View Postsaber1179, on Nov 01 2017 - 14:03, said:

will ban people for mods but those running bots are OK   guess we know who buys more gold and premium time:mellow:

That you would defend either cheaters or bots says something about you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users