How to Scout - A Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

hohocake #1 Posted Aug 14 2010 - 20:30

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2207 battles
There are 3 reasons to scout, outside the whole xp/money thing.

#1: Find enemy positions for tanks.
#2: Find enemy positions for artillery.
#3: Destroy enemy artillery.

Now the first mistake people make is assuming that 1 and 2 are the same thing.  The difference is as #1 the light tank should be MOVING with heavy tanks, a fair distance ahead of them.  Why?  So your whole heavy tank column doesn't walk right into an ambush for one.  Second, heavy tanks have some massive range on them!  If you rush from the start you don't do them any good, but if you're 300-500 meters ahead you can give them targets without them being spotted.  Further, you want to penetrate fairly deep if you spot someone.  The worst thing you can do is have your tanks run into a position you THINK is just 1 tiger and it turns out to be a tiger and 3 mediums and a couple TDs behind them.

However, #2, spotting for artillery units is completely different.  This you can do solo.  In this situation TALK to your artillery.  Signal prime targets to them and most important: A big artillery (Su-8 / Hummel or higher) only fires once every 20-45 seconds.  This means all you have to do is ping ONE good target enemy (usually tier 5 or higher) and then get out of there.  If you charge past and light up 10 guys but die a few seconds later all the artillery is going to get is ONE shot.  If you light up one guy and dive for cover you can survive long enough that your artillery will pound them into scrap before moving on to the next target.  This is why artillery get very annoyed when a light tank complains "Hey, I just lit up their whole base! Why didn't you kill anyone!?"  - yeah because the ONE shot you gave me only did 50% dmg to some heavy tank is why.

#3 is the ONLY reason to rush deep into enemy lines as a light tank.  I have found Leopards work best for this, followed by a-20s.  Leo's armor and speed give it enough to push past enemy lines usually.  A-20's pure speed can get you to where artillery is before they've even had a chance to hide and set up. The key to this is to know where artillery hide on each map.  The easiest way to find out is to watch YOUR artillery on each map and then assume the next time you play on the other side that is where they'll be.  If you succeed you'll not only provide some good targets for artillery (even one or two shots can be a big deal when its a Su-8) but taking out an enemy artillery is really key in a long battle (Which means there's no reason to rush artillery in Himmelsdorf, btw, since there are likely more dangerous targets).  ALSO.... you don't have to be the one to KILL the artillery.  If you talk to your artillery and are on a map where your artillery can reach the enemy, simply letting them know what you are doing means they can save their shot.  This is especially key for an SU-8 taking out an SU-14 for instance.  Your Leo probably cant survive long enough to kill a 14- but a little chatting and an SU-8 shell can.  Not having an SU-14 on the enemy side WILL save your IS-7's life, which will almost certainly tip the balance in your favor.

Of course, anything related to artillery assumes your artillery is any good at the game :)  No shortage of bad artillery players, I admit.

Hopefully we'll see some more scouts... scout, as opposed to banzai charge into the middle of the enemy spawn point and then complain about how quickly they die.

-Hoho

PS: Artillery should be removed from Himmelsdorf map.  They really serve no purpose there other than disadvantaging their team.

CroPanzer #2 Posted Aug 14 2010 - 21:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I disagree 'bout Himmelsdorf!
I got bothered by arty many times there and also I used my wespe/grille in those close quarter battles accompanying my bigger allies!

Asky #3 Posted Aug 14 2010 - 21:05

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15443 battles
Nice Guide, but i disagree with the arty part. it is good for defending ;)

PvtMalo_ #4 Posted Aug 14 2010 - 21:12

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 399 battles
Thumbs up!   Good Scout commanders are a huge pain in the butt

AkelaLT #5 Posted Aug 15 2010 - 06:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Very good imput by Hohocake and Liebestod. This is smth. I allways wanted to post just was too lazy to do it, or too busy fighting battle after battle to get more exp. and credits lol.
These guides should be put in some kind of tutorial when ppl start the game, that way ppl would understand game more at beggining cause all new players start game as a light tanks in a scout role. This would reduce the number of complains in game chats and topics in forum about how sh.t scout role is and how to play game in a light tank and etc., if they knew these advices.

Scout, and a good scout is not the same thing !

BenderUnitGER #6 Posted Aug 15 2010 - 08:03

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Good Post but sadly the system how XP are given to light tanks stands against any other behaviour. If you're not the first one who lit up that guy you don't get XP for it anymore even if he disappeared from the map after the first scout died...

AkelaLT #7 Posted Aug 15 2010 - 09:08

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostBenderUnitGER, on Aug 15 2010 - 08:03, said:

Good Post but sadly the system how XP are given to light tanks stands against any other behaviour. If you're not the first one who lit up that guy you don't get XP for it anymore even if he disappeared from the map after the first scout died...

Oh I didn't knew that u dont get exp if u reveal enemy after he dissapeared when first scout is dead... It's a bulsh..t a bit then... That means this guide is more usefull for those who will play in clan matches and does not care about xp, the random ones will be played same as now - ppl trying to get exp and credits as fast as possible and move on to next tank

hohocake #8 Posted Aug 15 2010 - 20:39

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2207 battles
Haha @ Himmelsdorf - my problem is I play an SU-8... so I cant really turn fast enough to kill anyone who's on top of me! Even if I could one shot isnt usually enough to take out someone beyond a light tank.  I probably average about 3 - 4 shots on Himmelsdorf vs. 10-15 shots on other maps.

Oh well, clearly not everyone agrees- but the scout stuff is the focus!  I dont play scouts much, so I can't give great advice on survival other than use a lot of cover.

-Hoho

Toothmother #9 Posted Aug 16 2010 - 14:49

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7900 battles
I wish I had read this weeks ago. Great tips! TY

THeSoviet #10 Posted Aug 17 2010 - 19:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 938 battles
# 1 and 2 are easy 3 is hard I mean by the time you get to artillery you have a lot of people trying to shoot and the usually do it before i can do anything but the ideas of this are nice

Asky #11 Posted Sep 16 2010 - 05:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15443 battles

View PostCol_Angus, on Sep 16 2010 - 05:42, said:

thats all well and good on paper, Hoh, but in execution with a Tier gimped scout against higher-tier tanks, it doesnt work no matter how optimistic you are.

high tier tanks (specially td's and spg's) they need us. We are their eyes.

Chimerus #12 Posted Sep 17 2010 - 06:30

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2168 battles
indeed. also nice if you call out the big targets, such as other arty. himmelsdorf.... my spg turns into a tank destroyer.... ish.

pentabuksus #13 Posted Nov 19 2010 - 11:38

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
tread needs an update after the removal of the LT warping armor

MaidenBlitz #14 Posted Nov 23 2010 - 18:36

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4999 battles
Good advice for scouting here ty :) Have only played WOT since the 13th Nov...and loving it!!
Been running around in my Leopard for just over a week now. I'm not in a clan but prefer to try and play the random games as if I'm in one.After all, allbeit for 5mins...they are my team.
XP and credits, the next tank, upgraded modules etc come eventually and that is never my focus as each random games starts.
Originally, I blindly obeyed the chat that said..go scouts go, scouts rush,light tanks move your butts and so on, in the hope I was helping my team somehow. It quickly dawned on me, kamikaze missions were of no value to anyone, and no one was shooting the heap of targets I quickly light up as I flew to my death(often ramming a smaller arty and killing it to feel like I at least did something)

So now, I'm learning to hold back, see which heavies group up, where the artys position themselves, and where the other scouts are headed..if any. It still can be confusing at times. Sometimes there's abuse for hiding in a tree after a quick run trying to repair. Some teams DEMAND you rush out, others complain or mock if you move on your own first. Every game is different, so now I look for those who expect me to ride with them...sometimes all the way to the base...slow and steady to victory. If there are none who operational in this line of strategy...well, there's always the next game!
It also taught me it isn't always the scouts who could learn a few things about teamwork. I've scouted lonely Tigers and artys with no protection from their higher buddies :D

Versatile #15 Posted Mar 18 2011 - 23:38

Private

• Players
  • 351 battles
Thanks for the guide, just got my Leo today, I can't wait to upgrade it to make it faster.

Deleted_User_1000413151 #16 Posted Mar 24 2011 - 19:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Lil confused on scouting.Do I just see red dot on map n click where they are?Or is there something else I have to do/click????

Arishtat #17 Posted Mar 25 2011 - 21:12

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 23622 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

:Smile-hiding:Scout Survival for Dummies :Smile-hiding:

Slow down - Ripping around at 60km/h is fun to be sure, but it has two major negative effects: first, it makes your tank much more visible to other vehicles; second, your visibility is reduced. Use your speed to move from place to place but avoid situations where you're traveling in open ground because it's all too easy for a medium or heavy driver to blow off your tracks with a long range shot and then you die in a hail of fire from tanks that you cannot see. Learn to zoom up to a cover object and then creep the last 5-10 meters.

Cover, Cover, COVER - Cover comes in all shapes and sizes. The most obvious choices are the bushes that are scattered around the map. Cover is also a building which blocks line of sight from an often used sniper position. Cover is low ground. Cover is the carcass of a dead vehicle. Cover is an elevated plateau that blocks line of sight from below. Cover is a partially demolished building that you can peek through. Oh and if you're hiding in a bush make sure that your nose isn't sticking out.

Know how spotting works - Spotting is calculated from your various crew positions with the commander having the best view. Therefore you need not expose your entire tank to be able to 'see' things. Spotting is calculated to various points on the target vehicle which include the front of the hull, front of the turret and the rear of the hull.

Upgrade your vehicle - Tracks > Engine > Radio > Turret/Gun

Use the appropriate rigs - Coated Optics grant a 10% view range bonus at all times. Binoculars grant a 25% bonus provided that your vehicle and turret remain motionless for > 5 seconds. A Camouflage Net will make your vehicle harder to spot, but you have to remain motionless for > 5 seconds for it to take effect.

Train your crew - Commander > Driver > Radio Man > Gunner; crew members which are less than 100% make your vehicle's stats worse than the printed values, also once a crew member achieves 100% he can acquire a secondary skill which is either repair, firefighting or camouflage. Repair/Camo > Firefighting for scouts.

Control the urge to potshot - First, it reveals your position to the enemy which is a huge no-no; second, your tank is probably armed with a piddly little popgun so it's not going to do much more than annoy the enemy anyway. Remember that for every tank you spot first and dies to someone else's fire you get 50% of the experience and credits.

Use consumables - A small repair kit can often be the difference between a near death experience and a total loss. Put it in your second consumable slot so that when you get tracked you can double-tap '5' and get underway before the second shell lands. A small medical kit can revive a crew member for up to two minutes which is useful because often hostile tanks will fire HE rounds at you which injures crew members.

Xperiment2 #18 Posted Mar 25 2011 - 23:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 407 battles
Arty is good for defending when they arent charging torwards you

squirrelnutz #19 Posted Jan 22 2012 - 18:01

Private

• Players
  • 3916 battles
just found this after running around like a Nut ( no pun ) very good to know my Luchs and my Leo will be better scouts now  thx for the info !wanted add maybe try running an arty so you see there side of it so you know what to look for i ran a wespe for a bit ill never bitch at an arty again

fsjd #20 Posted Jan 22 2012 - 18:41

Major

• Players
  • 7097 battles
  • [TT] TT
biggest advice i can give: dont suicde charge.
find a spot you can sit in and not be seen while the enemy trundles past.
middle group of bushes on malinovka is good if you move right away and DONT move, DONT shoot once you get there.