• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CabbageMechanic #1 Posted Nov 02 2017 - 22:21

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 7632 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers,

Common Test is open until 1 A.M PST tonight, you can find the various notes and updates at the following links:

Initial Test

Customization Update

British TDs
French HTs

Let us know what you think, especially about Customization!

Edited by CabbageMechanic, Nov 28 2017 - 22:27.

Mikosah #2 Posted Dec 01 2017 - 20:22

Major

• Players
  • 17534 battles

The new customization system has a lot of potential both for good or ill. The option to only see historical paint schemes is critical to this working out. The key concern is in being able to paint different areas with different colors or patterns. Suppose you had a tank whose hull was painted American brown, the turret in French blue, and the gun in Russian green. Separately, all of these colors are historical. But would a combination like this still be visible with the 'historical only' setting enabled? I'd argue that patchwork schemes like this should be considered non-historical. Alternatively, a lot of headaches could be prevented if paint schemes applied to the whole tank rather than separate areas.

As of the new French Heavies, for the time being I have no comment.

And as of the British TD changes, while I do appreciate the Badger being a worthwhile addition, the sudden need to replace the fv183 seems like an odd and unnecessary move. All of this talk about making tank lines more consistent is a counterproductive goal in the long run, and having unique vehicles that differ from their predecessors does the game credit. As of the changes to the rest of the line, the intent was noble but the execution was sloppy. The things that this line needed the most are hull traverse and view range- these would have mitigated the line's inherent clumsiness. Thickening the armor and removing frontal weakspots is really just a way to force premium shell spam, which is a lose-lose for everyone. 

nrnstraswa #3 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 05:48

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14951 battles
  • [AJ] AJ

I really like the new customization options, especially the base paints. The only thing that concerns me is the final price for the customizations. 

Liking the new French heavies as well, although I really wish tiers 2-7 were added too. 

Edited by nrnstraswa, Dec 08 2017 - 06:01.

Avalon304 #4 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 07:06

Major

• Players
  • 17980 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

French Heavies are nice. Its good to see that they have decent gun choices, as both the little gun and the big guns are viable. They feel really well balanced.

The Badger needs some further tuning. Its much too mobile for what it is, and its gun depression is far too much for the armor and DPM it has. Its is incredibly poorly balanced (much in the same way the current Range Target is poorly balanced). Re tune the gun depression and drop the speed (or terrain resists) and it'll be ok.

The Customization update is a good start, but it should be held back and further tuned. We also need to be further apprised of the prices of camo and such under this new system. EDIT: Also with the way paint works it makes it incredibly tedious to support for remodeling purposes.

Edited by Avalon304, Dec 08 2017 - 07:17.

Hellsfog #5 Posted Dec 09 2017 - 21:19

Major

• Players
  • 32175 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostAvalon304, on Dec 08 2017 - 01:06, said:

French Heavies are nice. Its good to see that they have decent gun choices, as both the little gun and the big guns are viable. They feel really well balanced.

The Badger needs some further tuning. Its much too mobile for what it is, and its gun depression is far too much for the armor and DPM it has. Its is incredibly poorly balanced (much in the same way the current Range Target is poorly balanced). Re tune the gun depression and drop the speed (or terrain resists) and it'll be ok.

The Customization update is a good start, but it should be held back and further tuned. We also need to be further apprised of the prices of camo and such under this new system. EDIT: Also with the way paint works it makes it incredibly tedious to support for remodeling purposes.

On the french heavy gun choices, I don't see any reason to use the top gun on the tier 8 or 9. They are expensive to grind, you don't need them for the next tank and they don't offer much of an improvement over the alternatives. From a play style perspective, perhaps they are different enough but if your goal is to grind the tanks, I don't see much reason to upgrade. 

The badger seems fine to me.  It's certainly not "incredibly poorly balanced". The speed, about 30 kph with food, is about right. The frontal armor and depression serve it's purpose as a brawler but are not super cong levels of good. The fact that it is a casement TD gives it a significant negative right from the start. 

The customization update is mostly fluff or outright trash.  At least WG was smart enough to have ahistorical camo turned off by default.  The ability to change the size of the camo pattern was a nice, but unnecessary, change. 

Avalon304 #6 Posted Dec 10 2017 - 07:16

Major

• Players
  • 17980 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

View PostHellsfog, on Dec 09 2017 - 13:19, said:

The badger seems fine to me.  It's certainly not "incredibly poorly balanced". The speed, about 30 kph with food, is about right. The frontal armor and depression serve it's purpose as a brawler but are not super cong levels of good. The fact that it is a casement TD gives it a significant negative right from the start. 

I mean youre wrong:

30kph is too fast for what the tank is supposed to be. Because it gets to 30kph without food. It also has a decent hull traverse, letting it respond far too quickly to targets that appear off to its side.

The armor is literally invulnerable to anything that isnt a tier 10 TD firing gold ammo, and this goes doubly so if the tank happens to be using any of its gun depression, which it has too much of, allowing it to take too many positions. And with this armor is gets too much DPM and a gun that handles too well and has a pretty wide traverse range.

It has way too many positives for not enough negatives. Just like the Super Conqueror. The lack of a turret is not enough of a negative to outweigh the fact that literally everything else about the vehicle is so good for what it is. Its incredibly poorly balanced right now (which is no surprise given recent additions to the game). 25kph with -7 gun depression would better serve overall balance, but not allowing the Badger to take as many positions where it can just face tank anything that isnt spamming premium shells at it.

On the French Heavy guns the 127mm on the tier 9 handles incredibly nicely and has decnt alpha and DPM. And the 120mm on the tier 8 is probably the best gun to use on that tank.

Hellsfog #7 Posted Dec 11 2017 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 32175 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostAvalon304, on Dec 10 2017 - 01:16, said:

I mean youre wrong:

30kph is too fast for what the tank is supposed to be. Because it gets to 30kph without food. It also has a decent hull traverse, letting it respond far too quickly to targets that appear off to its side.

The armor is literally invulnerable to anything that isnt a tier 10 TD firing gold ammo, and this goes doubly so if the tank happens to be using any of its gun depression, which it has too much of, allowing it to take too many positions. And with this armor is gets too much DPM and a gun that handles too well and has a pretty wide traverse range.

It has way too many positives for not enough negatives. Just like the Super Conqueror. The lack of a turret is not enough of a negative to outweigh the fact that literally everything else about the vehicle is so good for what it is. Its incredibly poorly balanced right now (which is no surprise given recent additions to the game). 25kph with -7 gun depression would better serve overall balance, but not allowing the Badger to take as many positions where it can just face tank anything that isnt spamming premium shells at it.

On the French Heavy guns the 127mm on the tier 9 handles incredibly nicely and has decnt alpha and DPM. And the 120mm on the tier 8 is probably the best gun to use on that tank.

Sorry, my friend but calling it "incredibly poorly balanced" is a reckless exaggeration and makes me wonder if you've played it. 

Blackstone #8 Posted Dec 11 2017 - 20:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14404 battles
  • [-IGC-] -IGC-

I have a question regarding the customization:

For those who wish to sell permanent camo in their Storage, will it be sold for gold or credits?

thanks

Dragonx1x #9 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 15:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22323 battles

I enjoy your game very much. 9.21 IS AWESOME!!

:great:

Edited by Dragonx1x, Dec 14 2017 - 16:36.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users