New tourny format idea (maybe)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: New format Idea (19 members have cast votes)

How about a format somewhat like random battles, 2 tier 10's, 3 tier 9's and 4 tier 8's, one of which must be an arty. Would you like to see this format in Gold league?

1. Yes (3 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. No (16 votes [84.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Higzee #1 Posted Nov 02 2017 - 23:22

Private

• Players
  • 13510 battles
How about a format somewhat like random battles, 2 tier 10's, 3 tier 9's and 4 tier 8's, one of which must be an arty.

T1_Diabetic #2 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 00:00

Staff sergeant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 30217 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
So this is the problem, WG needs to switch pubs around WGL for it to be successful, if we try and make WGL to what pubs are now it is impossible logistically and being able to manage a team of that many people each night is hell. Also it should only be Tier 10 which it is out now because T10 is the end goal of world of tanks so that's what should be shown. You look at popular esports today and see how they are smaller based teams 5v5 or 6v6 also the game is the same between competitive and pubs everyone that plays the game understands what is happening in competitive. Now with WGL you just have people that tune in and leave because they don't understand anything that is happening in WGL because it differs so much from what pubs are now. If the teams are smaller than there is a bigger opportunity for sponsors to come in and acquire teams and grow the league. Right now even with 10 people max is hard for sponsors to commit also just the lack of viewership WGL gets especially in NA hurts. So it comes down to WG listening to the players that actually are in Gold League and take our feedback that we have given back the last couple of seasons, but it comes down to them just listening to us and not just ignoring us. So who knows what will happen it is still a mystery for us who play in the league what is supposed to happen.

Edited by T1_Diabetic, Nov 03 2017 - 00:01.

F_Type #3 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 00:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17439 battles
  • [SVG] SVG

View PostT1_Diabetic, on Nov 02 2017 - 15:00, said:

So this is the problem, WG needs to switch pubs around WGL for it to be successful, if we try and make WGL to what pubs are now it is impossible logistically and being able to manage a team of that many people each night is hell. Also it should only be Tier 10 which it is out now because T10 is the end goal of world of tanks so that's what should be shown. You look at popular esports today and see how they are smaller based teams 5v5 or 6v6 also the game is the same between competitive and pubs everyone that plays the game understands what is happening in competitive. Now with WGL you just have people that tune in and leave because they don't understand anything that is happening in WGL because it differs so much from what pubs are now. If the teams are smaller than there is a bigger opportunity for sponsors to come in and acquire teams and grow the league. Right now even with 10 people max is hard for sponsors to commit also just the lack of viewership WGL gets especially in NA hurts. So it comes down to WG listening to the players that actually are in Gold League and take our feedback that we have given back the last couple of seasons, but it comes down to them just listening to us and not just ignoring us. So who knows what will happen it is still a mystery for us who play in the league what is supposed to happen.

Listening is not something WG does, and I doubt will start doing until they see some drastic change in revenue.

TheLoveHitman #4 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 01:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12088 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Looking at other successful titles such as League of Legends, Csgo, Dota, etc. almost all of them have a 5v5 or smaller teams with fun fast paced gameplay that anyone can tune in and have fun with. In world of tanks it's 7v7 on big maps with not much happening in the 10 minute rounds. There can be exciting series, but there is also a lot of waiting around for teams to setup and such.

It would be interesting experimenting having smaller maps dedicated to 7v7 gameplay such as ghost town where teams are forced to play more aggressive throughout the game. If all maps were smaller, you could lower battle time limit down to 8 minutes or something, perhaps change capping dynamic to be faster in the smaller maps. All of these changes would have the same goal in mind, speeding up games so that people viewing that don't know much about the game can be entertained and the casters have things to get excited about. 

While it may not be a super popular idea, if this game continues it's slow paced gameplay, it'll never be able to gain more than a few thousand viewers, 40-50k on RU. Of course they're looking at possible 15v15 for next season, which would be a similar concept as the 7v7 smaller maps, but just double everything. It would make organizing online tournaments and paying people money very interesting...

Evilcleric #5 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 11:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9411 battles
  • [RCMEC] RCMEC

t10 for most pubs are distant dream...i with more than 7k battle no have t9. Sure i am below average mostly time, but we cant compare this game with league of legends (free rotation of champions, top champion ready to buy anytime for money, and much easier grind).

Why i will watch something i no will play at all?

i am not sure but i will need one year more or less for buy my first t10, and if i play league (and i suck in league too) i am sure i will need max one month playing more or less 3 matchs or less daily for buy top/meta champion (60 matchs max, would be forcing things 300-400 wot battle here). Sure some can say i and many players lack focus.

TheLoveHitman #6 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 22:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12088 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View PostEvilcleric, on Nov 03 2017 - 03:57, said:

t10 for most pubs are distant dream...i with more than 7k battle no have t9. Sure i am below average mostly time, but we cant compare this game with league of legends (free rotation of champions, top champion ready to buy anytime for money, and much easier grind).

Why i will watch something i no will play at all?

i am not sure but i will need one year more or less for buy my first t10, and if i play league (and i suck in league too) i am sure i will need max one month playing more or less 3 matchs or less daily for buy top/meta champion (60 matchs max, would be forcing things 300-400 wot battle here). Sure some can say i and many players lack focus.

You're 50 battles off of 8k. I'm at 12k battles and I have over 20 tier 10's and 1k battles off of another 4, just because you don't want to grind to tier 10 doesn't mean it's out of reach. I play league of legends as well, I'm not in the top percentile but I'm not bad at the game either, I know how the game works and I keep up with the competitive scene in that game very well. My argument wasn't that the things you see are more accessible in league of legends, my argument is that league of legends is fast paced and exciting while tanks is slow and boring. 

Usually people don't watch competitive with the idea of if they can't play/do exactly what they do then they won't watch. People will pay attention to what interests them. For the average viewer that steps into a LoL or Cs:go stream, it's easy to follow the quick speed gameplay that is simple enough you don't need to understand the game to enjoy it. World of Tanks is fun to watch strat wise, if you understand the game well. Knowing why teams make certain moves is fun and impressive, but I'd say 90% of the playerbase or higher has no idea what they're actually doing, which means they won't watch. I've been saying it for a couple years now, but world of tanks is fundamentally boring to watch, and unless this game changed drastically I don't ever see it having a big esports scene. In other games there are star players that can make flashy plays, in world of tanks you're limited by rng so even the most exciting plays are mundane compared to other esports.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users