Jump to content


Few questions from a noob

Im noob send halp

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

SK1DADDLE #1 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 06:07

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1723 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    07-10-2014

First and foremost, I'd like to introduce myself as I am new to the WoT PC community. I go by simply "Panda", the geddon part just sounded cool so I added it. I come from World of Tanks Blitz, you know, that mobile version of tonks. I've played about 27k battles there and have 18 Tier X tanks. As irrelevant of information that is, just thought I'd let you know something about me before I get called a "re-roll", which I get a lot of in-game for some reason. 

 

Anyway, now that I got that out of the way; CW Viable Tanks. I was looking through some clan descriptions and the requirements pointed out 'CW Viable Tanks'. My question is, which Tier X tanks are CW Viable? I currently have the Object 140, which is my first Tier X. After watching plenty of Shishx videos and him mentioning "If you don't have this tank, get it." so I did. At first, I was heading for the 113 and later Model 5A, but switched to the Object 140 line because I found mediums to be more enjoyable to play. I'm working on getting the Model 5A at the moment and am curious as to which other tanks I should go for next that are also CW Viable, as I look to join a clan in the future, hopefully, that is active in competitive play. I attempted to use my glorious Blitz knowledge, but I quickly realized the two games have almost no similarities other than the tank names themselves. For example, right now on Blitz, Object 140 is one of the worst medium tanks at Tier 10 to use for anything competitive. Here, well you guys already know. 

 

Also, if you have any tips or advice for a newbie such as myself starting out, I'm all ears. I really want to improve how I play and any advice is helpful!

 

One thing that really helped me improve in the 140 was watching LemmingRush. (If you're reading this, thank you sir very much <3) Coming from Blitz, it took me some time to adjust to the different play style this game requires, unlike Blitz where you don't really need "Basic Counting Skills" because you can just roll over a flank with your platoon-mate. I started out with 1,600 average damage and about 55%ish in 140, yes horrible, and after watching about 10 or so videos from LemmingRush, I increased to 60% winrate and around 2,600 average damage, probably still horrible bare with me as I attempt to look somewhat good :teethhappy:, and slowly increasing. If there are any other good Youtubers who provide quality content on their gameplay like LemmingRush, please let me know! 

 

Anyway, tl;dr.

1. What are CW Viable Tanks I should grind in the future?
2. Helpful tips/advice for a fellow noob looking to improve and become a purple person on WoT PC too?

3. Other Youtubers who provide helpful and quality content on how to improve? 

4. I didn't mention this in my wall of text, but as I'm writing I remembered, is there a stats website where I can see my progress? For Blitz, we have Blitzstars, where we can see our 30/60/90 progress, WN8 etc. 

 

Thanks in advance!

 

-Panda

 

 



Xeraux #2 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 06:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 24085 battles
  • 10,007
  • [T___T] T___T
  • Member since:
    04-30-2011

2. Keep watching vids. Try QuickyBaby and Circonflexes. Lemming is the best learning channel if you already have some experience though.

3. See above.

4. wotlabs.net is the best. noobmeter.com is mediocre but some people use it. clantools.us is pretty good, too.

 

Welcome to WOT [PC].



SacherMasoc #3 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 06:22

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 8548 battles
  • 739
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016

For youtubers see Zeven, taugrim, Dreadshells and SirFoch (TheFochYou). Circon is more about streaming than YT content, but he's great too.

 

Ignore Quickybaby. He's worthless other than for comic value.



SK1DADDLE #4 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 06:24

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1723 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    07-10-2014

View PostXeraux, on Nov 03 2017 - 21:13, said:

2. Keep watching vids. Try QuickyBaby and Circonflexes. Lemming is the best learning channel if you already have some experience though.

3. See above.

4. wotlabs.net is the best. noobmeter.com is mediocre but some people use it. clantools.us is pretty good, too.

 

Welcome to WOT [PC].

 

I'll check out Circonflexes, I have heard of the name but never really watched because I didn't play WoT PC at the time.

 

Oh sweet, Wotlabs is awesome! Kind of like the Blitz variant, very nice. 

 

Thank you!

 

View PostSacherMasoc, on Nov 03 2017 - 21:22, said:

For youtubers see Zeven, taugrim, Dreadshells and SirFoch (TheFochYou). Circon is more about streaming than YT content, but he's great too.

 

Ignore Quickybaby. He's worthless other than for comic value.

 

Will definitely check out the ones stated above, have heard of a few of them, but as I said above, didn't play WoT PC at the time so never checked them out. Thanks!

Redwave11 #5 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 07:31

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 17774 battles
  • 786
  • [WONKA] WONKA
  • Member since:
    07-01-2015

1. Obj.140 and WZ-111 5A are a good start. Maus, BatChat25t and SuperConq also get a bit of use. IS-7, T110E5, AMX 50B, T57 Heavy and Type 5 Heavy are used occasionally or when nothing else is available.

2. To improve i suggest focusing on the areas that follow in that order:

                    - Mechanical Skills (Driving and aiming). You probably already have this from Blitz.

                    - Tank knowledge (Weakspots, Alpha and Reloads/DPM). You might have some of this from blitz but i expect the value might be different in cases. I suggest just looking up each new tank you meet/struggle with in battle after the game is over.

                    - Map knowledge (Know where people normally go in a specific type of tank, know what spots work for you). This will come mostly from experience although watching some streams can help. I very much suggest getting into some kind of competitive play as this will greatly improve your map understanding.

3. Zeven and Lemingrush are my favourite streamers/youtubers for edukayshun

4. Wotlabs is the most common website. wotzilla noobmeter and vbaddict are others that get used a bit.


Edited by Redwave11, Nov 04 2017 - 07:32.


Red_Ensign #6 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 07:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 7328 battles
  • 6,411
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    02-14-2013

View Post_Pandageddon, on Nov 03 2017 - 23:07, said:

Anyway, tl;dr.

1. What are CW Viable Tanks I should grind in the future?
2. Helpful tips/advice for a fellow noob looking to improve and become a purple person on WoT PC too?

3. Other Youtubers who provide helpful and quality content on how to improve? 

4. I didn't mention this in my wall of text, but as I'm writing I remembered, is there a stats website where I can see my progress? For Blitz, we have Blitzstars, where we can see our 30/60/90 progress, WN8 etc. 

 

 

1. whatever wargaming overbuffs next.  if you can get to it before they nerf it and overbuff something else.

2. watch your replays.

3. watch your replays as if you're watching someone else.

4. wotlabs, but watch your replays.  seeing exactly what you're doing wrong is more instructive than looking at numbers and colors.



Augustus_Sohn #7 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 09:32

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 2700 battles
  • 816
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    06-27-2014
Good to see you here, Panda.

zed2204 #8 Posted Nov 04 2017 - 10:10

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 40519 battles
  • 2,174
  • [LIO] LIO
  • Member since:
    11-09-2014
On the second point - watch videos, but be careful with YouTube, most of the guys like Quickybaby show amazing games but most amazing games happen when unusual circumstances occurred, trying to emulate them will get you killed most of the time especially if you still don't understand the positions for each team composition, better watch streams and your allies after you get killed
And don't chase the purple, avoid it, play for your personal fun but do not play for stats, purple brings you only grief and bad things like :
Your team blaming you for not doing their job and calling you stat padder
Enemy's blaming you for MODs, gold, cheats .....
People YOLO you because they believe it is worth it
And Arty,Arty,Arty ..... All the Arty, all the time - special, just for you
Purple is a bad thing as the game is now because you get punished for it, console and Blitz don't have XVM but here it is a big thing you have to keep in mind

Edited by zed2204, Nov 04 2017 - 10:12.


Roggg2 #9 Posted Nov 06 2017 - 21:04

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 19120 battles
  • 1,679
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015
A ton of tanks get use in CW, although a lot of them are situational.  It seems CW at tier 10 is full of BC25ts, wz111-5a, and 113s.  

TsarCidron #10 Posted Nov 06 2017 - 21:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 6791 battles
  • 7,865
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM
  • Member since:
    03-16-2012

View Post_Pandageddon, on Nov 03 2017 - 21:07, said:

1. What are CW Viable Tanks I should grind in the future?

2. Helpful tips/advice for a fellow noob looking to improve and become a purple person on WoT PC too?

3. Other Youtubers who provide helpful and quality content on how to improve? 

4. I didn't mention this in my wall of text, but as I'm writing I remembered, is there a stats website where I can see my progress? For Blitz, we have Blitzstars, where we can see our 30/60/90 progress, WN8 etc. 

Thanks in advance!

-Panda

 

 

Point 1.  That will vary as the meta varies.  Check your clan head as you will want a tank to mesh with their tactics.

Point 2.  Helpful advice.  First and foremost - Survive.  Dead tanks dont help much.  (yes I need help there too). Second - Contribute.  Try to get your damage done to be equal or greater than your tanks hitpoints.  Third - Use the tools given you.  Minimap, Chat, tank and map knowledge, platoon advantages.   Four - be patient. Remember "fool's rush in"

Point 3.  Yes, there are numerous You-Tubers.  Quickybaby may be the most well known, but he is far from the only.  Also check out some on Twitch (live-stream)

Point 4.  WOTLABS.com is the one most seem to visit.

 

and, Welcome to the big screen version, complete with Arty and Trolls.



MacDaddyMatty #11 Posted Nov 06 2017 - 21:25

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 26678 battles
  • 6,370
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    10-07-2016

Welcome!

 

:)

 

WZ-111-5A

WZ-113

Maus

S.Conq

 

Also some basics that I believe are different from Blitz...

Go to your barracks and dismiss anyone with 50% training and 0 skills/perks.

50% crew are free and they only take up space in the barracks.

 

1st, A skill is something the crew member can use right away (Recon for example... a commander with 25% Recon gives a 25% bonus to that skill). Perks must be at 100% before they work. One perk: Brothers in Arms" requires ALL crew members to have it at 100% before it will work.

With the exception of premium tanks, you have to train the crew to use the tank well.

If you move a crew member from one tank to another and only partially train him/her for that tank, you will need to grind that crew member back to 100% BEFORE you can resume grinding any skills/perks.

If you train them to 100%, then they will pick up where they left off in resuming grinding skills/perks.

 


 NEVER train a crew to a premium. It is a waste of gold/silver.

If a tank comes with 100% BIA crew - awesome.

If it doesn't DO NOT GET A CREW.

Take one of your other tanks, and use that crew for the premium.

As long as the crew is same nation + tank class (eg: German MT), that crew can use any premium of the same type (eg: German MT) without training. They will get additional credits and experience while in a premium tank.

For example, I have a MT German crew I want to train. I will run them in their primary tank (to get the x2), then in the Pz3k (premium), then in the Mutz (Premium), then in the Panther88 (Premium) and get x2 on each of those - no retraining because they are premium tanks. Its still the tec-tree tank crew.


 

Also, in the garage above the crew is 2 little buttons.

One is a pull-down where you can retrain / return crew / send to garage.

So, I can with one click move them around the premiums to get the x2, x3, etc.

The second button is 'accelerate crew training' (for any elited or premium tank).

Check that box.

It will give the tanks combat XP to the crew, and train faster.

Otherwise the tanks experience gets locked in free xp and you need gold to unlock it.

 

Some tanks will have different number of crew members…

Having a mismatch of crew positions doesn't bug me.

It just means the 'odd man out' will be getting all the extra crew experience in another tank.

As long as he/she has BIA, no worries!

 

The thing to be careful of is a crew member with multiple roles in certain tanks.

So, if your commander is also the radio operator - do not give him situational awareness (unless he's going to stay in that tank). Otherwise it will be a wasted perk slot in a different tank that HAS a radio operator.

 



Good luck with WoT PC. The learning curve is awful. Its like a Chess game, but you only get to use one piece. And other people control all the other pieces. And no one tells you the rules.

 

Just remember

“Everyone gets the same crap teams...

What separates good players from bad ones is how you deal with it.“ - Spartan_Striker

 

 

o7


 



SK1DADDLE #12 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 01:36

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 1723 battles
  • 7
  • Member since:
    07-10-2014

View PostRedwave11, on Nov 03 2017 - 22:31, said:

1. Obj.140 and WZ-111 5A are a good start. Maus, BatChat25t and SuperConq also get a bit of use. IS-7, T110E5, AMX 50B, T57 Heavy and Type 5 Heavy are used occasionally or when nothing else is available.

2. To improve i suggest focusing on the areas that follow in that order:

                    - Mechanical Skills (Driving and aiming). You probably already have this from Blitz.

                    - Tank knowledge (Weakspots, Alpha and Reloads/DPM). You might have some of this from blitz but i expect the value might be different in cases. I suggest just looking up each new tank you meet/struggle with in battle after the game is over.

                    - Map knowledge (Know where people normally go in a specific type of tank, know what spots work for you). This will come mostly from experience although watching some streams can help. I very much suggest getting into some kind of competitive play as this will greatly improve your map understanding.

3. Zeven and Lemingrush are my favourite streamers/youtubers for edukayshun

4. Wotlabs is the most common website. wotzilla noobmeter and vbaddict are others that get used a bit.

 

Tanks written down for future grinds. Also, no mention of 113? Or it's just not used because the Model 5A is better? 

Checked out Zeven few days ago, very cool! Thanks!
 

View PostAugustus_GoldNoob_Sohn, on Nov 04 2017 - 00:32, said:

Good to see you here, Panda.

 

Hey Augustus, didn't know you played PC. How have you been?
 

View Postzed2204, on Nov 04 2017 - 01:10, said:

On the second point - watch videos, but be careful with YouTube, most of the guys like Quickybaby show amazing games but most amazing games happen when unusual circumstances occurred, trying to emulate them will get you killed most of the time especially if you still don't understand the positions for each team composition, better watch streams and your allies after you get killed
And don't chase the purple, avoid it, play for your personal fun but do not play for stats, purple brings you only grief and bad things like :
Your team blaming you for not doing their job and calling you stat padder
Enemy's blaming you for MODs, gold, cheats .....
People YOLO you because they believe it is worth it
And Arty,Arty,Arty ..... All the Arty, all the time - special, just for you
Purple is a bad thing as the game is now because you get punished for it, console and Blitz don't have XVM but here it is a big thing you have to keep in mind

 

Being purple on Blitz is just as bad. Being in the the most well known clan is even worse. Have gotten used to it on Blitz, but I feel for those on PC since Arty exists and XVM. 

 

View PostRoggg2, on Nov 06 2017 - 12:04, said:

A ton of tanks get use in CW, although a lot of them are situational.  It seems CW at tier 10 is full of BC25ts, wz111-5a, and 113s.  

 

Ahh, I see. Does CW get recorded a lot and posted on Youtube? I've only found a few videos of it and was very cool to see. We have CW on Blitz too, but it's player-made with prizes being sponsored by WG. The overall system is complicated and it's pretty much like a normal battle but made in Training Rooms on a specific date/time you agree on with the clan you're attacking or defending. I like how you don't see the enemies tank composition, here on PC, until you spot them, would be cool to have that in Blitz. 

 

View PostTsarCidron, on Nov 06 2017 - 12:18, said:

 

Point 1.  That will vary as the meta varies.  Check your clan head as you will want a tank to mesh with their tactics.

Point 2.  Helpful advice.  First and foremost - Survive.  Dead tanks dont help much.  (yes I need help there too). Second - Contribute.  Try to get your damage done to be equal or greater than your tanks hitpoints.  Third - Use the tools given you.  Minimap, Chat, tank and map knowledge, platoon advantages.   Four - be patient. Remember "fool's rush in"

Point 3.  Yes, there are numerous You-Tubers.  Quickybaby may be the most well known, but he is far from the only.  Also check out some on Twitch (live-stream)

Point 4.  WOTLABS.com is the one most seem to visit.

 

and, Welcome to the big screen version, complete with Arty and Trolls.

 

The clan I'm currently in is just players from Blitz who also happened to be playing PC a little. I actually don't think any of them are active at the moment. That's why I was looking into some other clans who participate in some competitive play and found out I'd need a few more Tier Xs before I attempt to apply.

 

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on Nov 06 2017 - 12:25, said:

Welcome!

 

:)

 

WZ-111-5A

WZ-113

Maus

S.Conq

 

Also some basics that I believe are different from Blitz...

Go to your barracks and dismiss anyone with 50% training and 0 skills/perks.

50% crew are free and they only take up space in the barracks.

 

1st, A skill is something the crew member can use right away (Recon for example... a commander with 25% Recon gives a 25% bonus to that skill). Perks must be at 100% before they work. One perk: Brothers in Arms" requires ALL crew members to have it at 100% before it will work.

With the exception of premium tanks, you have to train the crew to use the tank well.

If you move a crew member from one tank to another and only partially train him/her for that tank, you will need to grind that crew member back to 100% BEFORE you can resume grinding any skills/perks.

If you train them to 100%, then they will pick up where they left off in resuming grinding skills/perks.

 


 NEVER train a crew to a premium. It is a waste of gold/silver.

If a tank comes with 100% BIA crew - awesome.

If it doesn't DO NOT GET A CREW.

Take one of your other tanks, and use that crew for the premium.

As long as the crew is same nation + tank class (eg: German MT), that crew can use any premium of the same type (eg: German MT) without training. They will get additional credits and experience while in a premium tank.

For example, I have a MT German crew I want to train. I will run them in their primary tank (to get the x2), then in the Pz3k (premium), then in the Mutz (Premium), then in the Panther88 (Premium) and get x2 on each of those - no retraining because they are premium tanks. Its still the tec-tree tank crew.


 

Also, in the garage above the crew is 2 little buttons.

One is a pull-down where you can retrain / return crew / send to garage.

So, I can with one click move them around the premiums to get the x2, x3, etc.

The second button is 'accelerate crew training' (for any elited or premium tank).

Check that box.

It will give the tanks combat XP to the crew, and train faster.

Otherwise the tanks experience gets locked in free xp and you need gold to unlock it.

 

Some tanks will have different number of crew members…

Having a mismatch of crew positions doesn't bug me.

It just means the 'odd man out' will be getting all the extra crew experience in another tank.

As long as he/she has BIA, no worries!

 

The thing to be careful of is a crew member with multiple roles in certain tanks.

So, if your commander is also the radio operator - do not give him situational awareness (unless he's going to stay in that tank). Otherwise it will be a wasted perk slot in a different tank that HAS a radio operator.

 



Good luck with WoT PC. The learning curve is awful. Its like a Chess game, but you only get to use one piece. And other people control all the other pieces. And no one tells you the rules.

 

Just remember

“Everyone gets the same crap teams...

What separates good players from bad ones is how you deal with it.“ - Spartan_Striker

 

 

o7


 

 

Thank you for the quick run down on the Crews! Definitely much different from Blitz, I had trouble with them when I first started playing. On Blitz, you simply pay the gold amount for 100% and all the skills you've trained come into effect. Here, with individual members and different skills/perks...really had me lost for a few weeks before I finally figured out what I needed to do. 

 

The learning curve has been okay so far, I'm slowly learning the maps and getting better in my positioning, reading the map (which I used to never do) and reacting to it by using basic counting skills, like LemmingRush says. 



Saltiest #13 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 03:04

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 707 battles
  • 7
  • [PIKE] PIKE
  • Member since:
    04-05-2015
And I thought I'd never see a blitz unicum start playing wot pc.

dunniteowl #14 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 03:39

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22161 battles
  • 4,515
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

Just wanted to say, "Welcome to the Madness that is WoT, Panda."  It seems others have things well in hand here.

 

I'll place my vote on watching Zeven's Replay Reviews as a VERY worthwhile use of your free time in learning about the game.  In all honesty, you'll get no better overall tutelage/introduction/explanation on pretty much any battle related aspect of the game.


 

I would also recommend keeping these handy:

Crew -- Global Wiki

Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki


 

You can rely on these two things pretty much for any understanding necessary as regards the game mechanics and its explained in pretty understandable English, too.


 

If you need more 'zen' related training, I'm your owl!  Until then, the above others seem to pretty much have it contained.


 

GL, HF & HSYBF


 



Boghie #15 Posted Nov 08 2017 - 02:25

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 5494 battles
  • 536
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    04-10-2016

YouTubers (Ordered in my favorite Programming Style Pyramid!):

 

MVP Entertaining, smart.  Not necessarily instructional or tactical, but seems to emphasize teamwork.  I really enjoy his ClanWars videos.
Zeven Walks folks through games.  Discusses positioning and macro strategy.  Covers terrain management.  Patient.  Very instructional.
Guido1212 Macro Strategy, some personal technique.  Very instructional.  Great replay analysis.  Covers personal, team, and grand tactics well.  Not a twitchy one-on-one player.
LemmingRush Makes things a bit too easy.  But breaks things down well.  I love his snark.  His post game tactics discussion using the strategy maps are awesome.  His platooning videos are awesome.  Very calm (now:rolleyes:)
4TankersAndDog Can't say enough about him.  More science. Long platooning sessions with uncensored team discussions.  His training videos are exceptional.  His 'scientific' review of crew, stuff, and tactics are awesome.
_War_Child_ Why not.  I really enjoy is live Skirmish team combat feeds with teams that pick him out of the field.  You can watch him grow in the posted live videos.  It is kinda funny watching me (a complete spat of tomato paste) offer chat guidance on his early streams.  He came from the Blitz environment as well.

 

I blew the pyramid thang with War Child, but there really is no preference specified.  I probably spend more time in Guido's or 4Tanker's sites than the others - but not by much.  My initial view is often LemmingRush's and I'll cycle out from there.  And, I spend some time in Claus Kellerman's site too.  Right now Anfield is producing and presenting actual in person mentoring sessions which are just amazing.


Edited by Boghie, Nov 08 2017 - 02:28.


Not_Connery #16 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 06:43

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 6907 battles
  • 693
  • Member since:
    02-08-2017

View PostSacherMasoc, on Nov 04 2017 - 06:22, said:

For youtubers see Zeven, taugrim, Dreadshells and SirFoch (TheFochYou). Circon is more about streaming than YT content, but he's great too.

 

Ignore Quickybaby. He's worthless other than for comic value.

 

Another two Youtubers to check out would be Aging Jedi (though he may change his name soon), and Sir Harry Flashman (he doesn't upload as regularly, but his vids are still informative and good). 

 

Reginaldesq is also sometimes good for tank reviews (one thing that is nice about him is that he reviews a lot of lower tier tanks that tend to be ignored), but I would kind of take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt as he - being in the Australia/New Zealand area - has fairly dodgy internet and so he has occasionally mistakenly blamed the tank he's reviewing for things that were/are actually caused by his lag.

 

One thing you are definitely doing right is asking for advice on the forums; there are a lot of good (and friendly) players on here that are willing to help you get better at the game. :great:

 

Keep on tanking!


Edited by Not_Connery, Nov 12 2017 - 06:46.


ZeroB19 #17 Posted Jun 06 2018 - 17:36

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 64 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    07-28-2017
Yeah, me too, I'm very good at Blitz but when I switch to WoT on PC, I feel like I'm a noob because in Blitz I could easily fight with enemy. But in WoT(PC) it wasn't simple, when I spotted enemy, I thought I can shoot him.... 2,3 seconds later, I died. I was very surprised and I didn't know what just happened? Now I need some tips to improve my skill





Also tagged with Im, noob, send, halp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users