Jump to content


WARNING Win 10 users! Update 1709 Breaks games!

1709 Fall creators update workaround

  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Apache1990 #21 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 09:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 35603 battles
  • 6,976
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View Post_Brew_, on Nov 06 2017 - 18:17, said:

Only have one monitor, and borderless windowed would still make my mouse eventually track outside the play area and my turret become unresponsive no?

 

No, WoT captures the mouse properly, you can only run it out of the window in-match if you're holding Control to activate the cursor as you do it.

(Also borderless windowed on a single monitor doesn't have the possibility to move out of the game window, since there aren't any places off screen to move the cursor to.)



Balc0ra #22 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 10:25

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 1335 battles
  • 147
  • Member since:
    03-10-2016

Running 1709, two monitors, alt-tab on any fullscreen game works just fine still.

 

Don't have game mode running tho as when that arrived, it did nothing or dropped FPS, as it's meant for mid to low end rigs more so then above mid to high end. So, no idea if that has anything to do with it.



ColonelShakes #23 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 10:44

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 16469 battles
  • 1,714
  • [CDN] CDN
  • Member since:
    01-17-2016

View PostFnatical_Fringe61, on Nov 07 2017 - 00:15, said:

I have Creators update 1709 and  dont  have  any problems with WOT srry you do man!

 

Likewise no issues here.  



OldFrog75 #24 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 11:07

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 10558 battles
  • 2,549
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3
  • Member since:
    02-23-2017

Windows 10 Home does not offer a deferral option.   My last Home update was 1703.  Doesn't appear to be anyway to block or delay update 1709.

 

Is this a Business/Education OS problem only or will it affect Home users as well?  



Nehalim #25 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 11:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 35890 battles
  • 5,124
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    06-19-2013
who uses windows 10.. and who even gets that update. it has been well known for months its only purpose is to break stuff. you guys dont read much 

Isola_di_Fano #26 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 11:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 24378 battles
  • 4,262
  • Member since:
    11-05-2012

View PostOldFrog75, on Nov 07 2017 - 05:07, said:

Windows 10 Home does not offer a deferral option.   My last Home update was 1703.  Doesn't appear to be anyway to block or delay update 1709.

 

Is this a Business/Education OS problem only or will it affect Home users as well?  

 

You can always uninstall an update in ''Update history'' in Windows 10 if need be.

You can also look into Advanced options for updates.



OldFrog75 #27 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 11:51

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 10558 battles
  • 2,549
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3
  • Member since:
    02-23-2017

View PostIsola_di_Fano, on Nov 07 2017 - 11:38, said:

 

You can always uninstall an update in ''Update history'' in Windows 10 if need be.

You can also look into Advanced options for updates.

 

My "Advanced options" doesn't have a deferral option available so I guess the only solution (if there is a problem) will be to uninstall the update.

Edited by OldFrog75, Nov 07 2017 - 11:51.


ColonelShakes #28 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 14:02

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 16469 battles
  • 1,714
  • [CDN] CDN
  • Member since:
    01-17-2016

View PostViserion_Dies, on Nov 07 2017 - 11:26, said:

who uses windows 10.. and who even gets that update. it has been well known for months its only purpose is to break stuff. you guys dont read much 

 

Except it didn't break everyone's stuff.  Many report no issue.   As far as reading , you dont do that much either... Windows 10 is on alot of PCs.  It was free.  



Guido1212 #29 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 14:12

    Community Contributor

  • Players
  • 81905 battles
  • 8,909
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    06-11-2011

View PostAsassian7, on Nov 06 2017 - 23:21, said:

 

I play borderless windowed, and 2 monitors. mine doesn't do that?

Same and I don’t have an issue.



biggb45s #30 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 15:28

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 31292 battles
  • 472
  • Member since:
    05-13-2014
Try updating your graphics card. Helped me.

macblastr #31 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 17:21

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 22702 battles
  • 51
  • Member since:
    08-19-2012

intersting steam stats:

 

The latest stats from Steam show Windows 10 shedding a massive 17.38 percentage points, to give it 28.6 percent share. (The 64-bit version accounts for 28.23 percent, and the 32-bit version adds a tiny 0.37 percent.) Meanwhile, Windows 7 has gained a whopping 21.47 percentage points in the same month, climbing to 65.46 percent (63.60 percent for the 64-bit build, and 1.86 percent for the 32-bit edition).
 



frontflip2cool #32 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 18:18

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 13451 battles
  • 289
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY
  • Member since:
    12-13-2014

View Postcnumartyr, on Nov 07 2017 - 00:00, said:

 

People don't play in windowed mode?

I do because I still have windows 7(suck it Win 10 scrubs) but an older graphics card so window with custom graphics set up is how I run.



ColonelShakes #33 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 21:03

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 16469 battles
  • 1,714
  • [CDN] CDN
  • Member since:
    01-17-2016

View Postmacblastr, on Nov 07 2017 - 17:21, said:

intersting steam stats:

 

The latest stats from Steam show Windows 10 shedding a massive 17.38 percentage points, to give it 28.6 percent share. (The 64-bit version accounts for 28.23 percent, and the 32-bit version adds a tiny 0.37 percent.) Meanwhile, Windows 7 has gained a whopping 21.47 percentage points in the same month, climbing to 65.46 percent (63.60 percent for the 64-bit build, and 1.86 percent for the 32-bit edition).
 

 

Cool story, not sure why you would base any assumptions on Steam stats.  In the meantime , Windows 7 desktop market share fell 1% from January to October 2017.  Windows 10 meanwhile gained 5 % during same period.   

 

Meanwhile 'Windows 10 scrubs' enjoy a faster , more secure environment.  I should know , I dual boot them on same hardware.  Main reason Windows 7 still hanging on , is it is still supported, and widely deployed in corp environments.

 



Striker_70 #34 Posted Nov 07 2017 - 21:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 19694 battles
  • 6,544
  • Member since:
    04-02-2013

View PostColonelShakes, on Nov 07 2017 - 07:02, said:

 

Except it didn't break everyone's stuff.  Many report no issue.   As far as reading , you dont do that much either... Windows 10 is on alot of PCs.  It was free.  

 

I'd rather pay for a stable OS, and did when purchasing Windows 7 rather than get the 'free' windows 10.

 

Windows 10 is still essentially in beta.  Those with Windows 10 are being used as a guinea pigs to get the kinks out and I thank them for it.  By the time I switch to 10, it should finally be a relatively polished, stable operating system.



ImaKillYou #35 Posted Nov 08 2017 - 22:44

    Captain

  • Players
  • 27442 battles
  • 1,218
  • [-GENT] -GENT
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011

UPDATE:

 

Windows Insider build 17025.1000 Fixes the issue.

 

We fixed an issue where toggling some DX9/DX10/DX11 games between windowed and fullscreen (for example using Alt + Tab) could result in the game window become black on certain PCs.

 

So, If you are lucky enough to be an insider, issue is fixed. If not, you'll have to wait on a hotfix.(could be next week, could be 6 months...you know how it is when MS is "working on it")

Workaround posted is still the only fix for now.



ImaKillYou #36 Posted Nov 08 2017 - 22:47

    Captain

  • Players
  • 27442 battles
  • 1,218
  • [-GENT] -GENT
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011

View PostStriker_70, on Nov 07 2017 - 13:18, said:

 

I'd rather pay for a stable OS, and did when purchasing Windows 7 rather than get the 'free' windows 10.

 

Windows 10 is still essentially in beta.  Those with Windows 10 are being used as a guinea pigs to get the kinks out and I thank them for it.  By the time I switch to 10, it should finally be a relatively polished, stable operating system.

 

Win 10 will NEVER leave beta, it is now a "Service" with content and features updates. So, it will NEVER be polished and stable.

StepChild_TO #37 Posted Nov 08 2017 - 23:23

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 36122 battles
  • 447
  • Member since:
    05-30-2011
Rule number 1 when it comes to updates and WOT. Uninstall and reinstall. Fixes it every time. We tend to forget that data can get a mini-error with the modern systems we have now. So sounds like your problem was in that area. alt tab and, infinite loop. The holoween patch gave me so many errors, it was easier to just follow rule 1.

ImaKillYou #38 Posted Nov 09 2017 - 03:22

    Captain

  • Players
  • 27442 battles
  • 1,218
  • [-GENT] -GENT
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011

View PostStepChild_TO, on Nov 08 2017 - 15:23, said:

Rule number 1 when it comes to updates and WOT. Uninstall and reinstall. Fixes it every time. We tend to forget that data can get a mini-error with the modern systems we have now. So sounds like your problem was in that area. alt tab and, infinite loop. The holoween patch gave me so many errors, it was easier to just follow rule 1.

 

Except this is NOT a WoT problem, it is/was a Win 10 problem.

jnqt #39 Posted Nov 09 2017 - 05:10

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 22889 battles
  • 284
  • Member since:
    02-27-2014
My AMD crossfire setup is also broken after the update.

xCaige #40 Posted Nov 09 2017 - 05:43

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 31315 battles
  • 217
  • [-M1-] -M1-
  • Member since:
    07-08-2013
No issue at all with full screen mode or alt tabbing on windows 10 1709 update. 




3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users