How did the Tigers perform during the Normandy campaign?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Teddy_Bear #1 Posted Nov 10 2017 - 23:58

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 5591 battles
  • [DOOMD] DOOMD

My friend and I had a brief discussion regarding the Tiger tank in Normandy, and to my surprise, I couldn't find any numbers regarding their performance - at least nothing consistent. Does anyone know what sort of kill ratio or other numbers the Tigers had during the campaign?

Strike_Witch_Tomoko #2 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 00:07

Major

• Players
  • 15574 battles

View PostTeddy_Bear, on Nov 10 2017 - 15:58, said:

My friend and I had a brief discussion regarding the Tiger tank in Normandy, and to my surprise, I couldn't find any numbers regarding their performance - at least nothing consistent. Does anyone know what sort of kill ratio or other numbers the Tigers had during the campaign?

i believe the kill to death ratio was like 4:1 in favor of the tiger (or was it 4.13  to 1....)

it was largely less than it should have been, as the germans didn't expect quite so many tanks to come so early from a landing.     nor did they expect the sea wall to break so fast.

so most of their armor was on the opposite flank(russian). leaving mostly pz4s pz3s, on the western front (though there were a few tigers and panthers.  but majority were on the other front)

add to that what tanks they did have found bridges blown up,   roads full of potholes, and railways derailed (courtesy of the french resistance), and what vehicles they had were late to their destinations.

alot of german units got isolated from their own side.

even after this,  tigers were mostly sent to the russian front (where russians were deploying more and more heavier armor like KV)

Western front saw more panthers sent to it than tigers due to the panther being, in all regards, overkill for dealing with the shermans and croms.   

heck, considering the tactics of the allies on the western front,  the Pz4 was more than enough,  but again....numbers....germans lacked them on both fronts

Ie_Shima #3 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 00:09

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2698 battles

Well, Wittman and his Tiger of course, but that has been claimed as false or exaggerated.  

Aside from that, what I could find on Tiger 1's was from a compiled group of German reports after the war.  Evidently only 126 Tigers were in or around Normandy during the invasion months, and their numbers appear to have dropped drastically the longer the invasion went on.  

Here is the link:

http://lonesentry.co...k-normandy.html

Edited by Ie_Shima, Nov 11 2017 - 00:09.

Ie_Shima #4 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 00:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2698 battles

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on Nov 10 2017 - 18:07, said:

i believe the kill to death ratio was like 4:1 in favor of the tiger (or was it 4.13  to 1....)

it was largely less than it should have been, as the germans didn't expect quite so many tanks to come so early from a landing.     nor did they expect the sea wall to break so fast.

so most of their armor was on the opposite flank(russian). leaving mostly pz4s pz3s, on the western front (though there were a few tigers and panthers.  but majority were on the other front)

add to that what tanks they did have found bridges blown up,   roads full of potholes, and railways derailed (courtesy of the french resistance), and what vehicles they had were late to their destinations.

alot of german units got isolated from their own side.

even after this,  tigers were mostly sent to the russian front (where russians were deploying more and more heavier armor like KV)

Western front saw more panthers sent to it than tigers due to the panther being, in all regards, overkill for dealing with the shermans and croms.   

heck, considering the tactics of the allies on the western front,  the Pz4 was more than enough,  but again....numbers....germans lacked them on both fronts

​You have to remember that a lot of Allied tankers claimed that the tanks shooting at them were Tigers.  Its far more difficult to say what exactly destroyed the tank next to you, than it is just to say that it was a Tiger.  

Id say that most of the Tigers in Normandy were taken out fairly quickly by Allied aircraft.  

Isola_di_Fano #5 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 00:49

Major

• Players
  • 19879 battles

150 Tiger 1 in Normandy in 4 units by D-Day. Availability rarely exceeded 50% due mostly to engine and transmission problems.

Accounts differ but it all concluded they were all lost by September 44; destroyed or abandoned.

Kill ratio difficult to assert: seems to be in the 2.5 to vs 1 ratio on the Western front, a bit more on the East.

Lots of info out there, lots of it seems exaggerated/propaganda.

Edit: another 90 or so Tiger 1 will be sent West by the end of war.

2nd edit : http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/393107-tackling-the-tigers-killloss-ratio/

Edited by Isola_di_Fano, Nov 11 2017 - 00:57.

Otter_von_Bismarck #6 Posted Nov 20 2017 - 20:52

Captain

• Players
  • 16694 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

The overall KDR for the 3 Schwere Panzer Abteilung deployed in Normandy was 3.9:1 while the direct combat KDR was 10.6:1 (48 Tigers to 510 Allied tanks, not including other vehicles and guns). This can be compared to the average KDRs for all the s.Pz.Abt and III/Pz.Reg GD of 5.44:1 and 12:16, respectively.

So Tigers were comparatively less effective in Normandy, but still performed well after tactics were adapted to account for the terrain and the different challenges that the western front presented, namely the difficulty in moving under allied air superiority. Of course mechanical failure/lack of fuel accounted for most of the 132 "in transit" loses, rather than the myth of rocket firing typhoons tearing up Panzer formations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users