Tips for the Tiger P?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Not_Connery #1 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 16:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4408 battles

So I'm working my way to the Tiger I and I decided that I would go by way of the Tiger P.  I like the Pz IV H and the VK 30.01 P so I have kept them, and I would also like to see if I can keep the Tiger P as well, but I have only had two games in it (one loss, one win) and I thought that I should maybe ask some more experienced players how to best play this tank.  I currently have a 75% crew in it right now, along with the top tracks, engine, and radio (they come from the 30.01 P), however, I only have the stock turret and the short 88 gun.

Please give actual tips or strategies and not just the "That's a crap tank.  Just free xp past it!" answer that I often see in this type of thread (sorry if that sounded bossy or ungrateful, but I actually want to know how to play this tank).

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Not_Connery, Nov 11 2017 - 16:36.

JasonLeeStrickland #2 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 16:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14423 battles
  • [SHIRE] SHIRE
I'm grinding all three tanks that lead from the Tiger P, got 2/3 researched so far. My crew is at 300% so that's one small advantage but I do not believe it is a crap tank, I'm actually ranked #3 with it today. If you are top tier play aggro, 45d angle your tank around corners to bounce more rounds. Always go fro track shots since your reload (once you hit 100%) will usually be faster than track repair. If you are facing higher tiers you need to position your self as a side sniper and support your teams higher tier heavies when possible. And never go out in the open unless you absolutely have to (open fields are bad) since every part of you tank can get penned except some small portions of the front.

lordawesome7 #3 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 16:53

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20804 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

when upgraded it becomes barable, i used to say it was workable but with most of the new tier 8's they just cheese through you

with that said it does have armor, its just also littered with weakspots; your job as an tiger P driver is to learn and hide as many of those as possible and to not engage any bigger guns recklessly; here is the armor layout https://tanks.gg/tank/tiger-p/model

the gun is rather poor for its tier outside accuracy and pen so i wouldn't recommend going in full aggro like you can in a T26E5 or 252, it won't hold up in sustained combat, it does make an excellent immediate support tank that has the bulk to play positions most TD's can't and "armor" the tiger 1 doesn't have (though its better in virtually every other way)

it was my first tank i got decent with (and my first MoE) when i had about orange or yellow wn8, i really wanted a maus before the buff which was like 3 - 4 years, but i can see you're much newer compared to me, but the tank itself hasn't been changed and is functionally the same, even if its been power creeped compared to before

Steeljaw_MajT #4 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 16:57

Major

• Players
  • 17453 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
Besides the good advice for Jason I would recommend that you save up enough free Exp so you can at least get the top tracks, turret and gun before playing a new tank.  If you have the gold I would also suggest you get at least a 100% crew.  After T-5 always move up your best crew,  Nothing worst than grinding a higher tier stock tank with an unskilled crew!

bigbear72us #5 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 17:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35679 battles
The problem with the tiger p is when you angle the hull the angled sides on the upper front hull become flat. While a fairly small target, they are easy to pen. The commander's hatch is large on it also and is easily penetrable. I free xp'd past it and the only experience I have is killing them.  Get past it and the vk100 is a beast.  I would try to get it hull down and angle the turret when not firing. You'll need those skills for the next three tanks anyhow.  Play it as second line support when bottom tier and I only would bully other heavies when top tier

Sgt__Guffy #6 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 17:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1792 battles

View PostNot_Connery, on Nov 11 2017 - 09:32, said:

So I'm working my way to the Tiger I and I decided that I would go by way of the Tiger P.  I like the Pz IV H and the VK 30.01 P so I have kept them, and I would also like to see if I can keep the Tiger P as well, but I have only had two games in it (one loss, one win) and I thought that I should maybe ask some more experienced players how to best play this tank.  I currently have a 75% crew in it right now, along with the top tracks, engine, and radio (they come from the 30.01 P), however, I only have the stock turret and the short 88 gun.

Please give actual tips or strategies and not just the "That's a crap tank.  Just free xp past it!" answer that I often see in this type of thread (sorry if that sounded bossy or ungrateful, but I actually want to know how to play this tank).

Thank you for your time.

Just to warn you OP the Tiger P is a long, long grind if you are looking to elite it!  I found I got on better with the Tiger P than the Tiger I, which I did elite. Don't ask me why.  The first thing to bear in mind, the Tiger is not a front line brawler. You will die quickly if you try it. There are too many well armoured hard hitting death incarnates around and you will be punished. You need to be a bit crafty and learn to time your exposure and shots.

The Tigers are support tanks and they do have the guns to hurt the enemy, but you need to play "cat and mouse" with the Tigers and then you can rack up the damage. Try to go with death incarnates and support them. Safety in numbers!

Sidescrapping is important to learn.

The big danger with Tigers is the vulnerable ammo rack. I can't tell you the number of times I have taken hits and it is debilitating when it happens. So check the weak spots and the position of the ammorack so you keep the exposure to the minimum.

If I did find myself on my own then I tried to angle best I could, find cover to hide the flat plate on the front when I could and in direct confrontation wiggle, but as everyone seems to fire gold ammo these days I find that less effective than it used to be.

I would not call myself a natural heavy tank player, but I did enjoy playing the Tigers. It was one of my "must haves" despite everyone telling me to avoid them. I just like German tanks! I did manage to research the Tiger Two but I have not played it. I am not a fan of high tiers and the Tiger II seems to be outclassed by its peers now. 

I do urge you to upgrade your crew. You need it! Especially at the tier level you are playing.

Enjoy your games and I wish you luck.

Have fun,

Guffy.

Sic_Transit_Gloria #7 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 17:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9662 battles

The frontal armor is a very strong 200mm, but as mentioned by others, it's littered with weakspots. The turret cupola, hull cheeks, and lower plate are all easily pennable.  If someone dunks a shell into these right away, it's better to just hang back and chill, waiting for him to forget about you or get distracted. Then you can pop out and take a shot.

While 200mm of armor is very good at tier seven, it's not good at tier eight. Keep in mind which tanks on the enemy team have over 200mm of pen, and avoid them.

DeathbyGMaC #8 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 17:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26667 battles
  • [_RUF_] _RUF_
^^+2 Sgt_Guffy      Love the Tiger line, was meh or worse in Tiger P but still way fun. Just adding "Don't camp the back".​ Tiger P's frontal amour not to bad, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Turret and hull must be kept moving to deflect. Great gun needs to be "In the battle" at all times. Don't try side scrapping, don't turn hull to much. Five to seven degrees is all it takes. E75 GREAT side-scrapper, Tiger 2 pretty good I've found (Not near as good as E 75 though) Sorry, I have not played the line above Tiger P yet. Let me know how that works out for you! :P Good luck.

Not_Connery #9 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 07:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4408 battles

Thanks, everyone, for all of your advice!

At the moment, I do not have a way to buy gold, so I am trying to do what I can for training up my crews with silver and personal reserves (the extra crew xp ones).  It can be a bit painful, yeah, but I've gotten used to that pain by now... :child:

I guess my next big question would be whether I should get the top gun or the top turret first?  If I get the gun, I'll have more punch and can do more damage sooner; but if I get the turret, I get more hitpoints, view range, and (correct me if I am wrong) better reload times.  Which would you guys recommend I go for next?

(I don't know why I am asking all of this NOW as, after buying the Tiger P, silver training the crew, and upgrading what I could, I now have only 148,000 silver to my account...  I'll definitely need to run a number of credit booster games in my Sherman Jumbo to earn up some silver surplus again.)

Edited by Not_Connery, Nov 12 2017 - 07:19.

bigbear72us #10 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 13:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35679 battles

If I can get the top gun and mount it without any other upgrades, I get the top gun.  Better pen and alpha will help with grind more than the turret.  The 88 L71 is way better than the 88 L56, especially since you will be facing tier 9s.

Not_Connery #11 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 14:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4408 battles

View Postbigbear72us, on Nov 12 2017 - 13:35, said:

If I can get the top gun and mount it without any other upgrades, I get the top gun.  Better pen and alpha will help with grind more than the turret.  The 88 L71 is way better than the 88 L56, especially since you will be facing tier 9s.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case.  I might not play the Tiger P for a while, though, and instead build up my free xp to get at least the top gun so that I have that extra pen before I take it out and really start working on training the crew up (and grinding out the upgraded turret); after all, saving up 16,500 free xp isn't all that horrible, but running a heavy tank with an under-performing gun IS.

Gothraul #12 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 14:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 1526 battles

I used to have the Tiger P on my other account years back and even now it can pull its weight if you can play heavies in general well enough. Just carry a decent amount of apcr and run with decent crews along with equipment then you should expect to land somewhere around 48% to 54% without having to be "gud" at the game. The problem though is all the meta issues, some balance issues, and XVM making the experience for heavies like the Tiger P worse than it needs to be. 

I do hope though that your Tiger P crew already has at least one rank of perks done with another in progress as using a fresh 75% crew is asking for bot level stats and plenty of frustration.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users