Veteran's Day Giveaway!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

churchill50 #1 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 22:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13652 battles

Hey everyone,

I am hosting a giveaway (from this thread) in honor of Veteran's Day, in honor of the service and sacrifice of those who have served in the Armed Forces.

RULES

1. To enter, you must be a veteran. Nation and branch of service do not matter for entrance in this drawing. All that matters is that you have served in a branch of the Armed Forces of a Nation.
  2. To enter, entrants must add a reply to this post giving some detail of their service life. This can be their position in the armed forces, a description of their service, a story, a picture, or anything else. If you are not sure that what you want to post will qualify, please ask me and I will clarify. While not necessary to enter the drawing, if all entrance comments could include "Entry for Drawing" at the top of the comment, that would make it easier for me.
  3. You have from the moment this thread is posted until 12:00 AM (i.e., midnight) on Saturday, November 18th to post your reply to this thread and thus enter the drawing. Any posts made after that point will not be considered in the drawing.
  4. You are only allowed one entrance per account.
  5. Those who are not veterans are allowed to comment in this thread, and veterans are allowed to make multiple posts. Once the event ends, I will go through the thread manually and find all entrants. Thus, extra comments will be ignored. While not necessary for entrance into the drawing, it would really help me when sifting through replies if the comments intended for entrance into the drawing would include "Entry for Drawing" at the top of the comment. I would encourage non-veterans to comment. Get to know some of the awesome veterans who I hope will be posting in here.
  6. At the conclusion of the event, I will select 3 winners randomly (if someone has a suggestion about how to do this, I would love to hear it). I will then post the winner's account names in this thread and notify them via forum pm and in game message. Once they receive these messages, it is up to them to reply telling me their selection of prize. Once I receive their reply, I will distribute the prizes to their account within 3 days.
  7. If you would like to add to the prizes I have listed, please either post in this thread or message me (either in game or via the forums) to tell me how you would like to do so. I will then edit this post to add the new or improved prizes and the name of the person who is adding to them. If someone who has added to the prizes in this drawing defaults on delivery of the prizes, I will fill in for him to the best of my abilities.
  8. I will be messaging the commanders of all clans that have been made specifically for veterans, to make sure that as many of the players in their clans know about this thread as possible. However, I am sure that I will miss some clans that I don't know about. If someone has a list of these type of clans, I would love to have that list. So far, the clans I know about that would fill this role are: -VETS, VETS1, MAR4L, =VGC=, and TVGC.
  9. I will be making threads pointing towards this thread periodically during the event to try to get more entrants.
  10. I reserve the right to change the rules at any time if it comes to my attention that a change needs to be made. However, these changes will be, to the best of my ability, just and fair to all entrants.

PRIZES

There will be 3 prizes. Each prize is a package or group of packages from the WoT Premium store who's cash value adds up to less than or around* $20 USD. Once I have picked winners, I will post their account names in this thread and notify them via forum pm and in game message. It is then their responsibility to reply to either this thread or one of my messages with the package or group of packages they would like to receive. I will then distribute their prizes to them within 3 days of their reply. The prizes can consist of any selection of goods from the premium store, including premium time, premium tanks, gold, credits, personal reserves, and mission completion tokens for the Tanksgiving Marathon event**.

Again, if you would like to add to the prizes I have listed, please either post in this thread or message me (either in game or via the forums) to tell me how you would like to do so. I will then edit this post to add the new or improved prizes and the name of the person who is adding to them. If someone who has added to the prizes in this drawing defaults on delivery of the prizes, I will fill in for him to the best of my abilities.

*The definition of "around" is left up to me. A good guide is under $22-23 USD final purchase price.

**Note that these mission completion tokens will not be on sale until the 15th, so if you request these as all or part of your prize, I will not be able to distribute them to you until they go on sale. Thus, these will extend the 3 day limit I have imposed on myself to distribute your prizes.

As of the moment of this posting, the period for entering the drawing has begun. I look forward to seeing the replies of veterans below.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Good luck in this drawing, and I wish you a happy Veteran's Day.

ThePigSheFlies #2 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 22:50

Major

• Players
  • 59076 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

Block Quote

"At the conclusion of the event, I will select 3 winners randomly (if someone has a suggestion about how to do this, I would love to hear it). "

There are a number of ways to set up a random drawing from a list of candidates from simply using the RND function in excel and then sorting by the results to various online tools such as this:  http://www.randomresult.com/pick.php

sample result:

1K1LLuDi3 #3 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 23:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20191 battles
  • [PIKE] PIKE
WG and SerB personally appreciate your effort. (They actually don't, but will be more than happy to take your money anyways).

churchill50 #4 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 23:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13652 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Nov 11 2017 - 14:50, said:

There are a number of ways to set up a random drawing from a list of candidates from simply using the RND function in excel and then sorting by the results to various online tools such as this:  http://www.randomresult.com/pick.php

sample result:

Cool. Thank you. At the point I made this thread, I was planning on writing a small program implementing a random number generator, so this has saved me some work.

RacerXXX455 #5 Posted Nov 11 2017 - 23:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15374 battles

Entry for Drawing

U.S.M.C. 82-86. 1st Tank Battalion. Camp Pendleton, CA. Fire Control Instrument Repairman, M60A1

virgil133 #6 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 00:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 26762 battles

Entry for drawing.

EOC(SCW) US Navy Seabee (retired) 1990-2010.

Traveled the world, worked with ALOT of great Americans of all flavors. 

"Best job ever"

Semper Gumbi

SilverEaglewing #7 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 00:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30338 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
Not an entry, but I'm part of the navy teals and I graduated top of my class. I master in unaimed heat spamming and hax. Im part of the 11th Anime Division. Anyways good luck to the real vets out there and hope you win!

MoWhiskey #8 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 00:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33313 battles

Entry for drawing

USAF 1963-1968 Combat Air Photographer 

Got to fly jets best time I ever had

Thanks to all Vets for their service

Slimz51 #9 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 02:06

Private

• -Players-
  • 9355 battles
  • [DHO3] DHO3
Not eligible, still currently serving in CAF. But Kudos to OP for doing this and showing your appreciation is a different way!

Captain_Blazkowicz #10 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 02:08

Private

• -Players-
  • 18904 battles

Entry for drawing

U.S.M.C 1982 - 2007 MOS 0317 Scout/Sniper

Did Eight years active and Seventeen in the active reserves.

Retired from the Corp's with a smile knowing I did my bit for God and Country.

Continuing my service to the great citizens of this country as a Police Officer in a major Urban city.

Edited to add, I big thumb's up to the OP for recognizing the service and sacrifice that all current and retired members of the military have given to this great country of ours. 

Edited by Captain_Blazkowicz, Nov 12 2017 - 02:22.

dunniteowl #11 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 02:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 18533 battles

Entry For Drawing:

USAF 1981-85

60th MAW/MAC

I have lots of funny stories, though none I feel I should share.  In some cases, I don't think the statute of limitations have run out, so best not to discuss.

o7

DV_Currie_VC #12 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 03:30

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 49001 battles
  • [RS] RS

Entry for drawing:

Canada Army Reserve 1986 - 1999  

Troop Warrant Officer, Armoured

Re-enrolled just this past October (making me possibly the oldest 2Lt in NATO, LOL!)

2017 -->

Troop Officer, Armoured Reconnaisance

ToothDecay #13 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 03:39

Major

• Players
  • 25304 battles
  • [NARC] NARC

ENTRY  FOR DRAWING         <<<<<<ENTRY>>>>>>>>>>ENTRY.

Ok.

Pic is me on morning of rotating home.

(it was so early..)

US Army 1971-1974

+ see my sig.......

Edited by ToothDecay, Nov 13 2017 - 02:33.

ToothDecay #14 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 03:45

Major

• Players
  • 25304 battles
  • [NARC] NARC

:honoring:

churchill50 #15 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 05:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13652 battles

It's awesome to see everyone who has already entered. I hope we get a ton more entries though.

If any of you have the time, are there any life lessons that you learned while serving? If so, I'd love to hear them.

View PostSlimz51, on Nov 11 2017 - 18:06, said:

Not eligible, still currently serving in CAF. But Kudos to OP for doing this and showing your appreciation is a different way!

Well, look out for more drawings like this one on future Veteran's Days.

Also, I'm trying to spread the word about this, but not having much luck. So far, I've been announcing it in battles I get into, but I haven't gotten any interest, and keep getting called a scam. I was also thinking of posting on the wotlabs forums and on the WoT subreddit about the drawing, but any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

WhiteTigerKatyusha #16 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 09:57

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1885 battles
  • [GNZX2] GNZX2

View Postchurchill50, on Nov 13 2017 - 05:46, said:

It's awesome to see everyone who has already entered. I hope we get a ton more entries though.

If any of you have the time, are there any life lessons that you learned while serving? If so, I'd love to hear them.

Well, look out for more drawings like this one on future Veteran's Days.

Also, I'm trying to spread the word about this, but not having much luck. So far, I've been announcing it in battles I get into, but I haven't gotten any interest, and keep getting called a scam. I was also thinking of posting on the wotlabs forums and on the WoT subreddit about the drawing, but any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

If they think it's a scam, and abstain, that's on them. I say spread where you can, and keep the contest going till the end of the month, or until you get enough entries (whichever comes first).

Ripping #17 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 10:29

Captain

• Players
  • 17957 battles
  • [MOGS] MOGS

RGJ 1st Batt. (British Army)

Tours in Northern Ireland.

Medical Discharged after 4 years. (1987-1991)

MacDaddyMatty #18 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 14:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 17778 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

"Entry for Drawing"

USMC 1997-2014

I will tell two stories.

One from my 1st deployment.

One from my last.

"No sh!t, there I was..."

Boot 2ndLt newly arrived at my unit.

They sent me over to work with the Division and senior leadership of the South Korean Marines on a 2 week exercise .

There is a large building filled with small rooms. In each room there is a teams with a computer.

Each team is controlling a military unit (Infantry, Artillery, tactical air, USMC division, US Army Division, etc...)

There are also "Red Cell" - people controlling the enemy units.

All these computers were tied together and on a virtual-battlefield (think "big blue arrows&quot;).

Its a giant real-time video game.

I was sent to the room that was controlling the ROK (South Korean) Marine Corps Division.

Day 1:

I entered the ROK Marin Div room, and in the back are a 1/2 dozen Korean Colonels, and 2 US Marines: a Warrant Officer, and a Lance Corporal (both Intel).

The Senior Koreans don't speak English well, and seem happy to hang in the back.

The USMC Warrant Officer has a map that is COVERED in red indicators of enemy positions to the point I can't see any of the map features. Apparently every time an enemy unit is spotted, he adds it to the map - but has not removed any of the old reported positions.  :facepalm:

The Lance Corporal is making coffee.

It quickly becomes apparent that I'm the "senior guy" (boot 2ndLt) for actually getting the orders executed, and getting the Div into the attack.

I have the Warrant Officer clear the map and start making "target packages" for Air/Arty/ Naval Gunfire support and I give him a 5 min class on how to be a Fire support coordinator. I make the LCpl the Communications Officer and I start reviewing the orders we've received and issuing orders to our (pretend virtual) subordinate units.

Our Division begins its attack.

I tell the Senior Korean officers what is happening - this is THEIR exercise, I'm just here to facilitate. They are pleased and direct me to continue.

Around 11AM, the Senior Korean Officers abruptly leave the room and return ~1PM

Day 2:

The Division is heavily engaged across the front and making progress. We have captured our 1st objective and moving to the second. My map reliably shows enemy positions and the Warrant Officer is putting together strike packages to soften them up. The LCpl is receiving orders and intel from higher HQ, and conveying my orders to lower (virtual) commands. I am the King, and we are on the attack!

I tell the Senior Korean officers what is happening, they are pleased and direct me to continue.

Around 11AM, the Senior Korean Officers abruptly leave the room and return ~1PM...

Day 3:

Same as above.

Also, a US Army Capt keeps coming in, looking at my map, tanking notes, and leaving. Turns out his role is liaison for a Battalion (30+) of Apache attack helicopters that are looking for missions. I sit him down with the Warrant Officer and they put the Apache's to work cutting swaths through the flanks of the enemy deployment.

Higher HQ is happy with our Div's progress. I tell the Senior Korean officers what is happening, they are pleased and direct me to continue.

Around 11AM, the Senior Korean Officers abruptly leave the room and return ~1PM...

Day 4:

The other Allied Divisions are having mixed levels of success.

Our attack is exploiting gaps in the enemy defenses. Many of the enemy units are in shambles and being routed.

Then it happens...

Intel reports thousands of North Korean refugees moving south on the highway, directly towards our Division which is moving north.

I convey this to the Senior Korean officers.

They stop what they are doing and all come over to the map. After a moment the Senior Colonel turns to me and says "Kill them all."

:ohmy:

There is silence in the room.

My LCpl's eyes are the size of dinner plates and his mouth is hanging open. He looks like someone just took a baseball bat to the back of his head.

My Warrant Officer and the US Army Capt act like they didn't hear that, and are quietly pretending to be busy.

(So - the 1st time the North and South Koreans had a war, the North would infiltrate soldiers into groups of refugees, sneak south

past the front lines, and attack the US/UN/and South Koreans in the rear. A lot of lives were lost this way. The S.Koreans are not going to repeat this. However, the US is not big on "Napalm Refugees&quot;)

I look into the unblinking eyes of the Korean Colonel, and I realize 2 things.

1) just how beyond my paygrade this situation is.

2) I'm prob not going to be able to poop for a week - pucker factor: 8/10.

Aye-Aye Sir.

I say and turn to the LCpl.

"I want you to send this message to Higher HQ" I slowly and deliberately say. "Refugees on Route Purple at coordinates _________. Attack to destroy. Priority."

I then grab a cup of coffee, turn to the door and wait.

10 min later several US Marine and Army Colonels bust in with a wthwho's trying to commit a war crime, and wthare you doing in here???

"Thank God you came Sir" is my reply.

After I debrief the US Colones on the situation since day 1, they pat me on the shoulder and tell me go hit the bar and come back tomorrow. They are genuinely pleased at the vacuum I filled, but yeah - waaaay above my paygrade. A US Colonel will take over and work with the Koreans to be directly involved going forward.

The rest of the day is General-level meetings dealing with this unexpected real-world situation.

Oh, and remember

Turns out the grill opened at 11. The Korean Colonels were getting hamburgers and pop-tarts.

Afghanistan.

Early 2011.

I've been in country and I notice a horrifying truth.

Much as Alexander-the-Great, it is an epiphany... There can never be peace here.

The truth comes from the porta-john.

See, everywhere you go in Afghanistan are porta-jons.

Because, apparently you're not supposed to take a dump on the battlefield or something.

And these porta-jons are the cool kind. They have the seat for poopin, and also a urinal!, which is great when you're in full flack-jacket and battle-rattle. The problem is that both Western Soldiers, ADN Afghans use these porta-jons.

Here's what happens...

Western Soldier: Who the hell keeps putting toilet paper in the urinal and clogging it up? Now my pee with just stay there.

Afghan: Who the hell keeps peeing in the sink? How am I supposed to wash mu hands and feet when the sink is filled with piss?

I weep for our clash of civilizations, as I pee in the urinal/sink.

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, Nov 13 2017 - 15:05.

Vinn_Twinborn #19 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:54

Private

• -Players-
  • 7149 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

Entry for Drawing

0621 USMC 2010-2014

Not much for stories but I did meet the only man that scared the hell out of me. Fresh to the unit and here stands Master Gunnery Sergeant Sorintino...standing at maybe 5ft on a good day. He was terrible at pull ups but this little man could still run a 3 mile PFT in 16 minutes. Never seen the man without a full horse shoe dip in, and his spitter was one of those cheap 1 dollar liter bottle which he proceeded to fill at least 3/4 of the way full of spit every single day. Anyway here is PFC schmuckatelli (myself) working late in the radio shop and here comes Master Guns... He asked if I had gotten chow yet. I had't so I responded in turn "No, Master Gunnery Sergeant." His response was "Well, you have a suck use it" Got me off of the [edited]extra detail and off to chow.

Jripper #20 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:03

Private

• Players
  • 43664 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

Entry for drawing

U.S.N 1979 - 2001 (NEC) TOO MANY TO LIST Aviation Structural Mechanic/Egress 

Did Twenty years active and 8 years of continuous sea service.

Retired Chief (AW/SW) of the United States Navy with all body parts and a set of sea legs.

Joined the civilian world and continuing service with the DoD, and becoming a viable citizens of the United States of America.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users