swamp map guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SanguTik #1 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 19:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22868 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U

I will say now that I'm not that great of a player, take what I say with a grain of salt, experiment, and find your own approach to things. Also, keep in mind that what your pubbies do will and should have a large impact on your approach to a game. I just want to share my knowledge and ideas with some of you. This will be my map guide to Swamp. I'll only be covering initial play. There are so many variables that impact how you respond throughout the game and I'm too lazy for that.

Firstly I believe that Swamp should be approached in a clockwise manner. North spawn should win lines A, B, and C. South should win H, J, and K. I'll explain why playing counterclockwise isn't the right play.

When North team attempts to play into the castle they drive into a crossfire and have very limited map control and flexibility. They can't easily move to other positions. Almost any group that pushes into the castle from the north will be punished for it and eventually killed. The alternative to pushing castle from the north is going to farm noobs that push 0 line from the south.

Beyond winning castle, what about base defense and where can you push? Not all tanks on the team need to make a play for the castle. Players need to be prepared to come back for defense. Also, be watching the map to determine what safe pushes can be made. Which positions you play should depend on the number of allies supporting you, the number of enemies, and a variety of other variables. Watch the map, the scoreboard, and your HP. None of these positions are heavily limited to a type of tank.

Your alternative to dominating castle and farming noobs is pushing 0 line and being farmed like a noob. When South pushes 0 line they get farmed and again have limited flexibility and map control. 

Same story as playing castle from South. Some tanks can stay back for base defense. You need to be prepared to come back for base defense. You need to actively watch the map and your HP to decide where you can push safely. Most positions are not heavily limited by the type of vehicle.

Try new things, experiment, ask questions, watch other players (without sperging on them). It'll make you a better player. The only thing that makes me what I am in this game is an above average understanding of maps. Almost anyone is capable of getting purple stats if they apply themselves properly. Beyond the stats, you get more credits and experience for your time. Personally, I have fun teaching people in this game. If you have questions about a tank, a map, or something strat or calling related hit me up. 

SanguTik #2 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 19:11

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22868 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3935097#swamp-sangutik-m26_pershing

Here is a replay from this morning that is an example of my clockwise approach to Swamp. I attempted to spot and farm 0 line. Upon seeing the enemy make a hard play for the other side of the map and I saw no tanks go 0 line I knew I could push. It was a decent game. In some cases, I may have needed to go back for base defense.

HowitzerBlitzer #3 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 19:43

Major

• Players
  • 14868 battles

Winning the north from north spawn or south from south spawn like you described above isn't that hard and is a pretty solid plan. But when that's done, up comes the question of "Now what?"

When the team from the north pushes south down 0 line, or the team from the south pushes north up 1 line, those defending the enemy base can become a problem. There are usually tanks at D4/5 and H6/5, what's the best way to deal with them? I'm assuming it's clearing the middle and getting a light tank up to or around their ridge... But that's a pretty risky play depending on how far the enemies pushed up the flank your team is defending, where they can get shots across the middle from the E or F line.

View PostSanguTik, on Nov 12 2017 - 13:05, said:

If you have questions about a tank, a map, or something strat or calling related hit me up. 

About a standard battle at Erlenberg... Is there any point in the south spawn crossing over to the west? I don't think I've ever seen the south spawn win that flank. And the same with the north crossing over west.

Lately when I've been getting that map in a randoms, I tell the team to camp the side we spawn on. The plan works if most of the team listens from what I've seen, even though it feels a bit boring. There are only 3 places where the opposing team can cross the river, so the team will know where to expect them. And the team you're playing on will have cover with the ridges on both sides of the map. Supposedly you could camp one side until enough enemies die trying to cross the river, and then push... But that may not always be the case when many TDs are in the battle.

Or at least that's one I've spent too much time thinking about.

_PM #4 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 19:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15224 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

I agree completely but you missed one position that works extremely well.

Going there gives you shots up the 8-9-0 and is safe unless you get yoloed by tanks in the middle, but usually friendly TD's cover you.

SanguTik #5 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 21:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22868 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U

View Post_PM, on Nov 12 2017 - 11:45, said:

I agree completely but you missed one position that works extremely well.

Going there gives you shots up the 8-9-0 and is safe unless you get yoloed by tanks in the middle, but usually friendly TD's cover you.

I agree but I was trying to keep it simple :P I like going there in my superheavies.

SanguTik #6 Posted Nov 12 2017 - 21:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22868 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U

View PostHowitzerBlitzer, on Nov 12 2017 - 11:43, said:

Winning the north from north spawn or south from south spawn like you described above isn't that hard and is a pretty solid plan. But when that's done, up comes the question of "Now what?"

When the team from the north pushes south down 0 line, or the team from the south pushes north up 1 line, those defending the enemy base can become a problem. There are usually tanks at D4/5 and H6/5, what's the best way to deal with them? I'm assuming it's clearing the middle and getting a light tank up to or around their ridge... But that's a pretty risky play depending on how far the enemies pushed up the flank your team is defending, where they can get shots across the middle from the E or F line.

About a standard battle at Erlenberg... Is there any point in the south spawn crossing over to the west? I don't think I've ever seen the south spawn win that flank. And the same with the north crossing over west.

Lately when I've been getting that map in a randoms, I tell the team to camp the side we spawn on. The plan works if most of the team listens from what I've seen, even though it feels a bit boring. There are only 3 places where the opposing team can cross the river, so the team will know where to expect them. And the team you're playing on will have cover with the ridges on both sides of the map. Supposedly you could camp one side until enough enemies die trying to cross the river, and then push... But that may not always be the case when many TDs are in the battle.

Or at least that's one I've spent too much time thinking about.

On Swamp usually I don't continue to push clockwise. I'd say in 2/3 games I go back and kill enemies as they push into my base and then I decide where to push based off what tanks remain and where they've been spotted. 

On Erlenberg. In pubs it depends so much on your team. From North I play the West 9/10 times. North is at a stupidly good advantage on the side. From South I watch what my team does. Personally I like playing West from South but that requires your team to send a lot of tank that way. If less than 5 tanks go West I'd just go East. The reason I like going West from South is because it's the easier way to play against a north team that camps near their spawn on that side. I think playing it slow until it's safe to push is a good idea. 

Also tagged with swamp, map guide

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users