Scouting, but getting low assist

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

HunterGamer #1 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 03:50

Private

• Players
  • 3837 battles
So I know I am not a noob, but I am in a way new to scouting, and I have realized that in most games that I play in my light tank I find a good bush, etc. I do sometimes get lots of spots but in the end none to about 300 assist damage. This is either because none of my teammates know what they are doing, or, because some other dude takes a better bush or beats me there, and takes all of the spots. It annoys the heck out of me, and i'm trying to get my MoE and finish some of my missions but it is very annoying and takes a lot of time. If you could give me some tips, that would be appreciated.

_ErwinRommel__ #2 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 04:11

Major

• Players
  • 7505 battles
  • [ICBMT] ICBMT
I find it best to go with tanks but just in front to scout targets due to better view ranges then dart. There are some nice passive scouting positions to.

WangOnTheLoose #3 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 05:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21718 battles
  • [MOVE] MOVE

View PostHunterGamer, on Nov 12 2017 - 21:50, said:

So I know I am not a noob, but I am in a way new to scouting, and I have realized that in most games that I play in my light tank I find a good bush, etc. I do sometimes get lots of spots but in the end none to about 300 assist damage. This is either because none of my teammates know what they are doing, or, because some other dude takes a better bush or beats me there, and takes all of the spots. It annoys the heck out of me, and i'm trying to get my MoE and finish some of my missions but it is very annoying and takes a lot of time. If you could give me some tips, that would be appreciated.

Scouting can be hard until you have a good crew, you really need full camo and spotting skills really help too.

Go to youtube and look up 4tankeranddog, he has really good videos on where to go for scouting.

Also even if you aren't spotting go for tracking shots as this will give you assistance damage also.

Edited by WangOnTheLoose, Nov 13 2017 - 05:15.

Worland #4 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 05:11

Major

• Players
  • 16556 battles
I started playing lights again recently, just copying the way Quickybaby and Circon scout in their YouTube videos. It works.

Can't live in a bush anymore with mediums having just as good view range as you do in a light. Got to pick your opening and go shoot that gun now. Wolf pack if possible.

Suicidal_Enemy #5 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 05:35

Captain

• Players
  • 48599 battles

I yolo'd my first 5k battles in a light tank,

Got scout/patrol duty half the time lol

Desert_Faux #6 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 12:06

Major

• Players
  • 3506 battles
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM

Scouts often forget, GIVE YOUR TEAM TIME TO GET READY!

Many (not all) wanna rush and hurry and scout a great location and wonder why they get no support... sometimes its because nobody else is in position yet. 

One thing that annoys me playing TD sometimes, is the scouts travel across most of the map to a location where they can't get support... nice you wanted to spot tanks, but if you get too far from the rest of the team you lighting up enemy tanks is not gonna help much.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not that great of a player so take my advice with a grain of salt but I just wanted to throw that out there for scouts)

Edited by Desert_Faux, Nov 13 2017 - 12:07.

T_Bo #7 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 15:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32510 battles
  • [REJEX] REJEX
Probably because the view range of non scouts are usually pretty close to your view range so you end up not getting spotting damage because your teammates do their own spotting.

HunterGamer #8 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 18:08

Private

• Players
  • 3837 battles

View PostWangOnTheLoose, on Nov 13 2017 - 04:09, said:

Scouting can be hard until you have a good crew, you really need full camo and spotting skills really help too.

Go to youtube and look up 4tankeranddog, he has really good videos on where to go for scouting.

Also even if you aren't spotting go for tracking shots as this will give you assistance damage also.

Yes, I have watched 4tankersanddog's scouting locations, but either I forget them, or I spot alot of enemies but my team does nothing. I have a bad habit of not tracking opponents when a teammate and I are circling them, but I try to do my best. 

I do have a full 100% crew, currently in training for their perks, but I don't have sixth sense fully trained yet, and it is a BIG pain when i'm in a great bush and somehow I get spotted without knowing it and then die from a cheeky TD. I have just started to now to just be a support tank on crap spotting maps, currently got 600 average dmg in my WZ. The only good bush that I know of and can rock real well is in Redshire at D6 on Encounter Mode. Anyway, thanks for the help man, I try to break my habits and do the best I can.

Roggg2 #9 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 19:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

When my battle count was similar to yours I wanted to scout, and I was really bad at it.  Map knowledge takes time to really sink in.  4tankers is good.  also Dreadshells.  Post some replays if you want more direct feedback.  Good crews help a lot.  

As far as your team goes, you need to know the maps well enough to know who can shoot what you spot, and who cant.  If your team's only arty is looking somewhere else, then you are wasting your time spotting targets that nobody has direct-fire on.  Also, make sure you have an exit strategy for your spotting locations, and dont get yourself boxed in somewhere you cant get out of, especially if you are not sure of getting support from your team.

dpmgumby #10 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 20:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 853 battles

YES

and again

YES

Wargaming should really change their video on spotting mechanics, all through the video they talk about how much xp you will make from spotting.

It is a joke compared to what it once was, now that heavies have great view range and mediums not far behind. 

Stay active, keep moving and use your speed to your advantage, if you are grinding through a tree that has some slower scouts, then play accordingly.

Try to pop into areas you know the enemy will be going to, then move to another area and come back later, that has helped me, both stay alive and confuse them .... they wait for me to pop up again but i have uturned and gone elsewhere, they have to wait a minute giving our team time to reposition.

wh1skybarrel #11 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 20107 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC

Getting people to shoot what you light is always the problem.  If you see that no one is really in position to shoot at whatever you are lighting, be sure to move to a different position.  Also, make sure that you are the one doing the lighting, often higher tiers can be out-spotting you.

Good luck!

Red_Ensign #12 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 20:46

Major

• Players
  • 6610 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
above all other things, stay alive.  spotting 15 tanks in the first minute and then getting vaporized is next to useless.  staying alive and spotting one guy mid-battle or late battle is a huge help.

SMBakerESQ #13 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:07

Major

• Players
  • 20417 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

Assist is low because of this sequence.

1.  Your team cant see them

2.  You spot them.

3.  At the same time they spot you and shoot.

4.  Because they shot at you, their camo ratings drop, so now they are visible to your team EVEN IF you didn't spot them for your team.

5.  Then your team shoots them.

With great view ranges at higher tiers that many tanks possess, they will spot everything that shoots or is in motion at 400M+ all the way out to 445m.  Once they shoot that one time at you, then they are within the normal view range of your friends, so then you wont get the assist.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users