After asking opinons, I bought KV-3(and Chinese light). Any advice?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

AbramsSmakr #1 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 09:07

Major

• Players
  • 5784 battles

A few days ago, I asked opinions on which new tier 7 tank to buy. I had 3 options that had already been researched(that I didnt already own at some point). The SU-152 wouldve been cheapest to fully upgrade, but I didnt need more TD's now. That left me with the IS and KV-3. I bought, and fully upgraded the KV-3, and saved about 30,000xp over the IS. I have been also considering which light tank to choose, based on which line has at least a couple decent lights in subsequent tiers. The Chinese mid tier lights look good.

I have no real experience playing with proper lights and scouting. I chose the M5A1 Stuart from the Chinese line. I had -0- Chinese tanks and -0- Chinese crews to dump into it, so its good that retraining is finally 1/2 price. It leads to the 59/16, the WZ-131 and WZ-132, which look pretty good, AND in the future I could get a Type 64 premium for crew skills grinding.

Both tanks are fully upgraded, they both have 100% crews, and the KV-3 has 4/6 crew members with 1 and 3/4 skills. I only played 1 game in M5A1, which worked out well, as I ended up with 2 kills, 561 damage and quite a bit of assisted and spots, ranked in top 3 in the win. I have GLD, camo net and binocs on it.

The KV-3 was used at Airfield, in 1 game with LOTS of tier 6-7 heavies, but my team collapsed and we lost, with enemy team having 7 tanks left. I ended up with 1,161 damage. I tried angling, but I still was penned by a T29, another KV-3 and an ISU-152. Its tracks ate a shot or two and bounced a couple. I have a rammer, GLD and binocs on it for now.

Any advice with these 2 tanks?

RushingJaws #2 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 11:56

Captain

• Players
  • 13581 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

When angling the KV-3, you want to bait as many shots as you can into your side/tracks at about 15-20ish degrees. KV-3 is the "brawler" of the two tier 7 Russian heavies though that's not saying much. Try to avoid showing too much of your (garbage) front and turret face. Be prepared to carry a healthy number of APCR rounds. You hit hard but take a long time to reload and have trash accuracy/handling, so make your shots count.

Haven't managed to play any Chinese lights but there are a wealth of sources on the web with both how to play lights and general ideas about how to approach maps.

Awestryker #3 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 13:42

Major

• Players
  • 23377 battles

Chinese lights actually did better than most nations when the light tank changes took place...

The 59-16 is really good, the WZ-132 is good, I do not care for the WZ-131, the Type 64 is OP, the Type 62 is OP....

The Type's are premiums, the Type 64 is always available in store...

Light tanks are a BLAST...its all I play currently, well, 95% or more of my recent games are in lights...and yes I play some OP lights a LOT...but they are just so much fun...and even though some of them are OP, its not so easy for everyone to swing matches in a light tank...

If you want to learn to play lights, go watch all of Dauntless and 4Tankersanddog Youtube videos on scouts...like 130+ videos...they will help a lot...put the time in studying and reap the benefit...make a spreadsheet or list of all the initial passive and active spotting locations as you watch their videos...

I expect the new HD maps will screw up all or most passive spotting locations...

Edited by Awestryker, Nov 13 2017 - 13:48.

Da_Craw #4 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 14:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 21954 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
The KV-3 was a major disappointment after the T-150.  At least you bought the engines (grinding the thing stock was horrible -- and stupid).  Sidescrape at every opportunity.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Unfortunately, it is the train carrying the KV-4 coming to hit you.  The reward for suffering through the two crap tanks is the ST-I, which is arguably the best Tier 9 heavy.

xSzikll #5 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 15:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7714 battles
  • [27-F] 27-F

View PostAwestryker, on Nov 13 2017 - 07:42, said:

Chinese lights actually did better than most nations when the light tank changes took place...

The 59-16 is really good, the WZ-132 is good, I do not care for the WZ-131, the Type 64 is OP, the Type 62 is OP....

The Type's are premiums, the Type 64 is always available in store...

Light tanks are a BLAST...its all I play currently, well, 95% or more of my recent games are in lights...and yes I play some OP lights a LOT...but they are just so much fun...and even though some of them are OP, its not so easy for everyone to swing matches in a light tank...

If you want to learn to play lights, go watch all of Dauntless and 4Tankersanddog Youtube videos on scouts...like 130+ videos...they will help a lot...put the time in studying and reap the benefit...make a spreadsheet or list of all the initial passive and active spotting locations as you watch their videos...

I expect the new HD maps will screw up all or most passive spotting locations...

The Type 62 was a real disappointment for me, it gets lit on fire from frontal hits and ammoracked on the sides and the rear.

AbramsSmakr #6 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 05:56

Major

• Players
  • 5784 battles

View PostDa_Craw, on Nov 13 2017 - 08:33, said:

The KV-3 was a major disappointment after the T-150.  At least you bought the engines (grinding the thing stock was horrible -- and stupid).  Sidescrape at every opportunity.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Unfortunately, it is the train carrying the KV-4 coming to hit you.  The reward for suffering through the two crap tanks is the ST-I, which is arguably the best Tier 9 heavy.

What about the IS-4 at tier 10 in the KV-3 line?

RF_Van #7 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 06:57

Captain

• Players
  • 9765 battles

View PostAbramsSmakr, on Nov 15 2017 - 20:56, said:

What about the IS-4 at tier 10 in the KV-3 line?

Augustus_GoldNoob_Sohn #8 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 07:32

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1542 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

KV-3 is a beast for side scraping. The gun hits very hard for a tier seven tank, but as Soviet guns go, can be typically inaccurate. 

Slayer_Jesse #9 Posted Yesterday, 12:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26760 battles
  • [SAKU] SAKU

KV-3 can be a slog. It's basicaly inferior in every way that matters to the IS-1. You have a good gun, but have to side scrape to do any work, and the weak turret face will let you down. M5A1 is a blast, and miles better than the American stuart. 59-16 is ok, but absolutely pick up the Type 64. Its basically the closest thing we have to a historical hellcat.  Its a great sout, and an awesome flanker.

KV-4 is best described as "less bad". Prioritize the turret upgrade to eliminate the cupola weakspot. The top 107mm is decent after they buffed it, but you're still going to get penned easily by gold thanks to your flat armor. Sidescrape and angle as much as possible. As others have said, the ST-1 makes it worth it. very tough armor all around, and a very punchy gun.

donalson99 #10 Posted Yesterday, 04:13 AM

Major

• -Players-
  • 27637 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

the kv3/kv4 grind took me FOREVER... I hated playing those tanks especially the kv3... that was a daily double tank and no more... the STI was fun though... I do have the tier10 unlocked and waiting on a sale (missed the kv4 sale by a day or so :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users