Newcomer to WoT... and why I quit

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

capncrunch21 #1 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 52 battles

Just wanted to give some feedback to Wargaming as a new player to the game... and why I quit after only a few days.

I thought WG did a good job with the tutorial, teaching me the basics of the game - but after that it was just one huge unfun experience.

A new player is immediately tossed into the fire after finishing the tutorial. Seriously - I was the seal for an entire army of sealclubbers out there in my brand new tanks. I really wanted to like this game but with absolutely stock tanks and 50% crews without a clue where the 'good spots' were on maps, I just kept getting slaughtered over and over again (even in my 'best' tank - the one from the tutorial). I rarely got a single hit on an enemy over multiple battles. In one battle alone I saw a single enemy tank charge a group of 4 of us obvious noobs. He simply danced in and around our little group, killing us off one by one in less than 20 seconds  - and never got hit once by any of us.The only reason my win rate is even close to 50% is because Match Maker saw I sucked and put me on teams which could carry. 

I literally failed my way up the tech tree. The times I would actually hit something would be the times my team lost. And visa versa. So my rewards stank and my enjoyment of the game just kept plummeting.

I only found after the first 10 battles that there was a 'noob zone' I could have played in to get XP without being clubbed. Or I assume that... because it was simply an announcement that I could no longer participate in it since I now had 10 battles played. I really have no idea what the area was - it sure would have been nice to have that as the default starting mode instead of Random (sealclubbing) Battles. Another thing that was lacking was any kind of artillery tank instruction. They play so much differently from regular tanks that they should be taught in the tutorial as well - I was completely useless my first couple of times playing them.

But I kept thinking, I'll get better, my tanks will get better equipment, my crews will get better and I'll finally start enjoying the game. Nope. After 50 some battles, I'm done.

Wargaming, I know you are having a hard time keeping players, let alone growing the game. So take some advice from a new player who really wanted to like this game - - YOU NEED TO PUT NEW PLAYERS IN THEIR OWN MATCHES AGAINST EACH OTHER. Seal clubbing is EXTREMELY unfun for brand new players. I don't mind losing if I feel I am on equal footing, but to be absolutely waffle stomped in every game I am in, is just plain stupid - and why I (and probably many other new players) have left the game.

Eugen_ #2 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:38

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15899 battles

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 13 2017 - 16:29, said:

Just wanted to give some feedback to Wargaming as a new player to the game... and why I quit after only a few days.

I thought WG did a good job with the tutorial, teaching me the basics of the game - but after that it was just one huge unfun experience.

A new player is immediately tossed into the fire after finishing the tutorial. Seriously - I was the seal for an entire army of sealclubbers out there in my brand new tanks. I really wanted to like this game but with absolutely stock tanks and 50% crews without a clue where the 'good spots' were on maps, I just kept getting slaughtered over and over again (even in my 'best' tank - the one from the tutorial). I rarely got a single hit on an enemy over multiple battles. In one battle alone I saw a single enemy tank charge a group of 4 of us obvious noobs. He simply danced in and around our little group, killing us off one by one in less than 20 seconds  - and never got hit once by any of us.The only reason my win rate is even close to 50% is because Match Maker saw I sucked and put me on teams which could carry. 

I literally failed my way up the tech tree. The times I would actually hit something would be the times my team lost. And visa versa. So my rewards stank and my enjoyment of the game just kept plummeting.

I only found after the first 10 battles that there was a 'noob zone' I could have played in to get XP without being clubbed. Or I assume that... because it was simply an announcement that I could no longer participate in it since I now had 10 battles played. I really have no idea what the area was - it sure would have been nice to have that as the default starting mode instead of Random (sealclubbing) Battles. Another thing that was lacking was any kind of artillery tank instruction. They play so much differently from regular tanks that they should be taught in the tutorial as well - I was completely useless my first couple of times playing them.

But I kept thinking, I'll get better, my tanks will get better equipment, my crews will get better and I'll finally start enjoying the game. Nope. After 50 some battles, I'm done.

Wargaming, I know you are having a hard time keeping players, let alone growing the game. So take some advice from a new player who really wanted to like this game - - YOU NEED TO PUT NEW PLAYERS IN THEIR OWN MATCHES AGAINST EACH OTHER. Seal clubbing is EXTREMELY unfun for brand new players. I don't mind losing if I feel I am on equal footing, but to be absolutely waffle stomped in every game I am in, is just plain stupid - and why I (and probably many other new players) have left the game.

Sent a PM to you

nasfan #3 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:38

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 20577 battles

Wow, you quit after 52 games?  OP, don't ever take up sports.

And BTW, every new player was "waffle stomped" in the beginning.  It's not unique to today's new players and isn't any more/less unfair for you than it was for the veteran players.  Some will quit, and some will get better.  I played for over 3000 games before I pulled my head out.  Don't be a quitter.  Stick with it.

Edited by nasfan, Nov 13 2017 - 22:39.

Vipsanius #4 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26863 battles

View Postnasfan, on Nov 13 2017 - 22:38, said:

Wow, you quit after 52 games?  OP, don't ever take up sports.

And BTW, every new player was "waffle stomped" in the beginning.  It's not unique to today's new players and isn't any more/less unfair for you than it was for the veteran players.  Some will quit, and some will get better.  I played for over 3000 games before I pulled my head out.

You're not listening.  Why would he play if he's not having fun?  

We need to encourage these guys.  He's brand new with a 50% crew, and you've got [edited]seal clubbers with full perks/skills, gold rounds and equipment who continue to ruin the experience for new players, thus driving them off. 

WG should have fixed that a long time ago.  Instead, they're just watching population slowly dwindle.

CapPhrases #5 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6327 battles
  • [TXV] TXV
what I would actually reccomend the OP do is probably start a new account with one of those promo codes to get a free premium and work on the KV-1 line. just stay there and work on it till you feel more comfortable/your crew improves to 100%+

1K1LLuDi3 #6 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20181 battles
  • [PIKE] PIKE
OP, did you happen to meet guys named GeorgePreddy or Doomslinger (or anything similar, since they have many accounts in violation to EULA)? These are one of the prominent sealclubbers and WG fanbois. I can bet, they will soon be in this thread, telling everyone that they seal club only because they love low tier tanks, that it's OK and you just need to get good. LOL

JRingo20 #7 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:54

Captain

• Players
  • 31321 battles

Sorry to say, it's been this way from the beginning. I started about a year after the game went live, and I was clubbed by those who played from the beginning of closed beta. They helped form the game that was then. I was an avid player when WoT set the record for on-line players, and the clubbing existed then.

Now, after 7 years, you're facing players with 50,000 to 100,000 games. They know the maps (that never seem to change). They know how to exploit game mechanics and inconstancies in map modeling. Is it fare? No. Is it fun? No.  Can you play through it. Maybe. Just remember if you stay. You are not the first baby seal and you will not be the last.

Hellsfog #8 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 31184 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U
The account is more than 2 years old with no battles in the last 60 days and probably longer if any cares to look. He isn't even aware that tiers 1 and 2 have sheltered MM and I doubt he knows anything about the experience level of the other team. It's difficult to take the OP seriously. 

wkcw1 #9 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 22:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12234 battles
  • [GGNKR] GGNKR

Sorry to hear your frustrations but to be honest all of us has been through this. A lot of us didn't even go through any tutorials about game mechanics and we learnt from forums and Youtube etc... I suppose that is what made it a challenge and coupled with a love for tanks it is a great game despite its flaws.

NL_Celt #10 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:01

Major

• Players
  • 25310 battles

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 13 2017 - 18:24, said:

The account is more than 2 years old with no battles in the last 60 days and probably longer if any cares to look. He isn't even aware that tiers 1 and 2 have sheltered MM and I doubt he knows anything about the experience level of the other team. It's difficult to take the OP seriously. 

And you now get 100% crews for your starter tanks. So he shouldn't really be playing very much with 50% crews after only 50 battles. He also says he failed his way up the tiers. How far with only 50 battles? Or is this an alt account.

bockscar43 #11 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25376 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
When new people express their dissatisfaction in their game experience, perhaps wots staff should offer reasons to Not quit. Remember staff when the base lose players we can lose a game, however when staff lose the base they lose employment, perhaps staff should bare that in mind......just sayn.

nasfan #12 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 20577 battles
When I first started, there were no tutorials, no youtube videos, no streamers to speak of...nothing.  There were a few text-based guide/tip pages.  There was also no coddling and no sheltering.  The challenge was real and the game was, and still is, hard to learn.  But, the resources to improve are infinitely more available now, and the game is much more newcomer friendly than it used to be.

Edited by nasfan, Nov 13 2017 - 23:05.

dpmgumby #13 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:04

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1015 battles

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 13 2017 - 22:29, said:

I understand your frustration, 

But 50 battles is not called giving it a try.

your tanks get better when your crew is trained up to 100% (means you hit better aim better ect).

The best thing to do is do some research on the game, figure out what tier 10 tank you want to start with and grind up to it, 

Get codes when starting.... codes give ya some gold, a tank and what not.... the little gold you get can be used to help you get upgrades to tier 5, once you have a tier 5 tank geared and crew over 100, the game will be easier and you will enjoy it way more.

nevermind the sealclubbers, theres nothing you can do about it other than move on to the next tier, they seem to like T1-4

_Tsavo #14 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 37891 battles

52 games is a very small sample, but if you don't like the game, that's fine.

The new player experience is better, but not good enough to retain most who go through the grinder.

However, we all started fresh at some point.  We all had to learn and overcome different things

StoveBolt54 #15 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:11

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16861 battles

Darn this game is a challenge.

I stuck it out and while I still aint great, I am better than I once was.

Demonic_Angel_of_Death #16 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:15

Major

• Players
  • 2142 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

Back in my day you hit battle for the first time in tier 1 and got a tier 3 match...

You got to tier 3 and fought tier 7's...

My first tier 4 at 100 games saw constant tier 10s...

You stayed with this game because either:

A) You got good very fast...

B) You're a masochist who stayed because you loved the idea of the game more than your want to say "[edited] this I'm out"...

I was a (B)...

So believe us when we say that we have literally all been there, and we've been there for a while... So in all honesty... Kudos to you for bailing out of this game early...

LeaveIT2Beaver #17 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 28284 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Nov 13 2017 - 17:15, said:

Back in my day you hit battle for the first time in tier 1 and got a tier 3 match...

You got to tier 3 and fought tier 7's...

My first tier 4 at 100 games saw constant tier 10s...

You stayed with this game because either:

A) You got good very fast...

B) You're a masochist who stayed because you loved the idea of the game more than your want to say "[edited] this I'm out"...

I was a (B)...

So believe us when we say that we have literally all been there, and we've been there for a while... So in all honesty... Kudos to you for bailing out of this game early...

Back in my day we walked 10 miles to a one room school house thru 5 foot snow drifts ....

Wirbelfeld #18 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:36

Captain

• Players
  • 19939 battles
  • [R-7] R-7

View Post1K1LLuDi3, on Nov 13 2017 - 21:53, said:

OP, did you happen to meet guys named GeorgePreddy or Doomslinger (or anything similar, since they have many accounts in violation to EULA)? These are one of the prominent sealclubbers and WG fanbois. I can bet, they will soon be in this thread, telling everyone that they seal club only because they love low tier tanks, that it's OK and you just need to get good. LOL

Having multiple accounts is not against wg rules. As long as you dont use multiple accounts to circumvent a ban Wargaming has publicly stated they do not care if people use multiple accounts

OldFrog75 #19 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7837 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Problem WoT has is there are a lot of PvE games out there that are "fair" and give a new player who just wants to have fun a decent chance of winning when they play.  PvP is always going to be much harder for new players unless the devs decide to curtail the participation of highly skilled players in battles/games against inexperienced newcomers.  WG doesn't appear to have much interest in doing that as far as WoT is concerned.  At least WoWS has Co-Op battles where you can play any tier, any time and still earn credits and XP, unlike WoT which limits earnings in Proving Grounds to Tiers I/II and the first 10 battles.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it enough to stick around but as others have said, if you are not having fun there's no point beating your head against this wall.  

OldFrog75 #20 Posted Nov 13 2017 - 23:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7837 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 13 2017 - 22:54, said:

That is suspicious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users