Newcomer to WoT... and why I quit

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

glhs0075 #61 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 23:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 40953 battles
  • [CDNAB] CDNAB

The game isn't for everyone.  That's fine, there's nothing wrong with admitting it isn't for you.

But dumbing down the game, or sheltering the seals won't help.  Eventually the seals will have to swim with the sharks, so the shock will always be a bone of contention with the "I quit because this game is too hard" crowd whether it's 50 games, 500 games, or 5000 games.  Just as dumbing down the game and making it easier will never appease the people who want instant gratification, and will only serve to drive players away who put in real effort to learn how to play.

Capt_Nixon #62 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 01:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4489 battles
  • [FLARE] FLARE

View Postglhs0075, on Nov 15 2017 - 16:02, said:

The game isn't for everyone.  That's fine, there's nothing wrong with admitting it isn't for you.

But dumbing down the game, or sheltering the seals won't help.  Eventually the seals will have to swim with the sharks, so the shock will always be a bone of contention with the "I quit because this game is too hard" crowd whether it's 50 games, 500 games, or 5000 games.  Just as dumbing down the game and making it easier will never appease the people who want instant gratification, and will only serve to drive players away who put in real effort to learn how to play.

​Which is why all sports have leagues of different play levels, because the 9-year-old peewee basketball team learns nothing by playing against the NBA all-stars. And when "pro" tankers go down to tiers 2-4 to pad stats against learning players, it's just wrong and pathetic.

Augustus_GoldNoob_Sohn #63 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 07:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1604 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCapPhrases, on Nov 13 2017 - 13:51, said:

what I would actually reccomend the OP do is probably start a new account with one of those promo codes to get a free premium and work on the KV-1 line. just stay there and work on it till you feel more comfortable/your crew improves to 100%+

^^^

Coming from Blitz, I had a grasp of the pain I was about to endure. It gets better if you know what lines to go up, or how to stay sane, in other words.

My advice to any new person coming in: Try not to worry about getting your @$$ kicked the first thousand games. This game is about blowing up tanks. Go out and do that, while trying to do it as well as you can. If people know you're trying (see my signature) they'll be more forgiving and once in a while, they'll try to help.

Tomato_Powa_Is_Over_9000 #64 Posted Nov 16 2017 - 22:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7795 battles

The best thing you can do is find a vet and learn from them.  I have recruited a few friends and gave them the input and suggestions I wished I had knew before.  What took me 3-4K games to figure out my buddies are starting to do 500-1K games.

1) Network find someone willing to teach you some things and be open to input

2) don't play angry or tired

3) if you few first games suck but or you have a noticeable losing streak going just stop and play in a couple hours/days.

Do these things and you will be a better and happier player.

I was a 47% Win Rate Orange nub for awhile, it just takes time.  Honestly if this game doesn't grow on you when you actually start getting your first few kills then it probably won't be for you.  Despite the huge learning curve, the random, and painful streaks/nights it becomes addicting once those kills starting to happen more frequently :)  

Edited by Tomato_Powa_Is_Over_9000, Nov 16 2017 - 22:45.

Stinkdruese #65 Posted Nov 17 2017 - 15:28

Private

• -Players-
  • 195 battles
I think some of the frustration arises from the fact that what is being advertised in WoT requires a lot of experience to effectively participate in. I started not too long ago and had my "Mittengard Moment". What the heck is this, and why am I in a handbasket? YouTube helped more than anything to answer some of the questions. I spent a few bucks, literally a few bucks, to fully train my crew, and now I'm grinding that crew in Tier IV. I'm learning slowly, and while I don't know many things yet, I can do a few things well. I reduced the number of games I play in order not to get burned out by the grind. Reminding myself that it is a free game I play for entertainment helps a lot. The gameplay is actually rather polished, the graphics are lovely, and for what I've put in so far it is a steal.

SlappedbyRommel #66 Posted Nov 17 2017 - 18:39

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4846 battles
  • [TTNDR] TTNDR

I felt the same way in the beginning but I did have a group of friends who helped in all aspects of the game. One was from a top clan who basically made fun of the way I played but for all the right reasons. I loved the armour aspect and ground my way to tier 8 now to tier 10 but mostly play in the 4 to 7 range heck I even rolled a Lowe upside down on its turret I still have not lived that one down. 

The most important thing is getting someone who is good and can give you the training or incite on game play. Platooning with strong players consistently will improve your game but it takes time I do wish WG would give players who don't have access to good players have an area where new players can experiment/train/play without getting seal clubbed if at all possible. I am at around 4k games and slowly improving but I love all types of tanks especially the Chinese Stuart or type 64.

One thing for certain in this game you do need to be stubborn and not give up too soon you will get better if you are able to learn and that depends on yourself only.

the_Deadly_Bulb #67 Posted Nov 17 2017 - 19:54

Major

• Players
  • 18433 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostStinkdruese, on Nov 17 2017 - 06:28, said:

I think some of the frustration arises from the fact that what is being advertised in WoT requires a lot of experience to effectively participate in. I started not too long ago and had my "Mittengard Moment". What the heck is this, and why am I in a handbasket? YouTube helped more than anything to answer some of the questions. I spent a few bucks, literally a few bucks, to fully train my crew, and now I'm grinding that crew in Tier IV. I'm learning slowly, and while I don't know many things yet, I can do a few things well. I reduced the number of games I play in order not to get burned out by the grind. Reminding myself that it is a free game I play for entertainment helps a lot. The gameplay is actually rather polished, the graphics are lovely, and for what I've put in so far it is a steal.

Glad to see a new player enjoying the game. Realistic expectations can do a lot for the enjoyment factor.

A lot more than entitlement. :honoring:

capncrunch21 #68 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 00:05

Private

• -Players-
  • 52 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Nov 17 2017 - 19:54, said:

Glad to see a new player enjoying the game. Realistic expectations can do a lot for the enjoyment factor.

​Then WG should advertise right on the download screen for people playing this game the first time, "You will be killed over and over again by ultra experienced players in maxed out tanks after the tutorial. You will be in beginner tanks with poor crews resulting in you rarely hitting another tank. This will continue for at least 1000 games. We know you will enjoy this experience - welcome to World of Tanks!"

Really man, you need to stop posting in the Newcomers forum. You are doing more harm than good for Wargaming.

dexatrin82 #69 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 05:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17497 battles
  • [AR-PA] AR-PA

View Postdunniteowl, on Nov 14 2017 - 04:27, said:

OP, sorry you're not liking it.  This is a much faster paced game than WoWS will ever be.  If you're not liking it now, then you won't like it later, I'm willing to wager.  Yes, bail out now.

The first time I made a suggestion on the forums it was in the: "If you could change one thing about Wot, what would it be?"

I posted that I thought we should have a 'group training' area:

1) That allows up to 30 people on the map where they can learn the map, train with other people and get to know their units.  Like a sort of chat room for tanks, I suppose, in that sense -- or a VMUD.

2) Have a time limit or number of kills/deaths limit that gets you auto-kicked from the Training Room.  If you want more training, get back into the queue and wait.

3) Have a 'number of times' limit that a specific unit can go into a training room in this fashion on any given day.  That way you can't crap up a training room all day long with your Pz IIc or Matilda.

4) Tiers I, II & III do not pay for ammo or repairs in the training room, though do pay for prem rounds/consumables.  Tiers IV, V & VI pay for: 1/2 repairs, prem. ammo/consumables.  Tiers VII -- X pay repairs, prem. rounds/consumables.

5) NO XP, Credits or Awards can be earned in the Training Rooms!  They are for training, not padding your account!  They are there for you to learn new tanks, new maps, new techniques, new tactics, etc. and not there for you to hang out in to club noobs.  Thus, the higher tier you go, the more it costs you anyway, but the more costs you will also have.  In line with reducing the more experienced folks from being in there at higher tiers unless they are really just learning their tank.  This is 'training wheels' time, not crew grinding or tank research.

In such a place (there would be multiple rooms, separated by tier, training classes (like Med Hvy City Brawling; or LT Passive Scouting) the players would go with either someone else to train for specific things, like getting hull down, or focus fire training as a group or to simply tool around the map and get to know it better as well as learning how your tank handles with that setup at that time.

This was my suggestion if I could change ONE THING in WoT and I would still offer that I would still like to see it implemented.

Why?

Because, as a new player, I found the ability to get a Training Room pretty much impossible.  I didn't know anyone and I'm not into jumping into a game and "making friends" right away.  I wanted to get the lay of the land.  So I found the training rooms right away.  Then found I simply couldn't use them by my self. Bzzzt!  Seriously?!?

How do new people get to train in a training room if they don't know anyone?  It's a Catch-22 situation and that is generally considered bad.  At the time I joined, there was no Proving Grounds, no Enter Boot Camp, no Tank Academy and no fully trained crews.  So I totally understand your point of view, OP.

And help me promote that training room idea!  With grand battles taking place, it seems to me that the necessary code is already in place to allow respawns into a map and queue it up separate from the rest of the player queues.  Just like the Group Training Area would need.  Set a respawn limit, a kill limit and a number of times limit attached to the unit/user so that they only get so much time in that tank in the training rooms.  We'd have a place where folks could go to learn as a group or get specialized training with a friend or mentor.  Someone could be in the room at specific times with the plan that anyone that shows up while they are there can get Armor Angling and Hull Down training; or Passive versus Active Scouting, that sort of thing.

GL, HF & HSYBF

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh Yeah and This:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This Guys Idea Is Awesome

Edited by dexatrin82, Nov 18 2017 - 05:09.

the_Deadly_Bulb #70 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 05:09

Major

• Players
  • 18433 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 17 2017 - 15:05, said:

​Really man, you need to stop posting in the Newcomers forum. You are doing more harm than good for Wargaming.

Funny, I thought you quit 4 days ago.

That post wasn't addressing you. :sceptic:

dunniteowl #71 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 08:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 18533 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Nov 17 2017 - 12:54, said:

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 17 2017 - 17:05, said:

​Then WG should advertise right on the download screen for people playing this game the first time, "You will be killed over and over again by ultra experienced players in maxed out tanks after the tutorial. You will be in beginner tanks with poor crews resulting in you rarely hitting another tank. This will continue for at least 1000 games. We know you will enjoy this experience - welcome to World of Tanks!"

Really man, you need to stop posting in the Newcomers forum. You are doing more harm than good for Wargaming.

Did Call of Duty do this?  World of Warcraft?  Eve Online?  Ultima?  Everquest?  Medal of Honor, Quake, Doom?  

Didn't think so, but somehow, THIS GAME is held to some higher standard of operation, BECAUSE it's harder to play, yet you STILL WANT to win right away.

I'm sensing a little bit of hypocrisy most call cognitive dissonance, requiring a higher bar to meet for the player than other games of the same type, because -- We SAY SO and YOU BETTER LISTEN TO US!

Just going to go out on a limb here and offer up the unprecedented idea that your suggestions have been 'heard' about as far as they can be and will go no further.  I'd also like to point out that this post could be read again in another two days, three hours, last week, tomorrow, etc. by someone else.  I mean that, by this statement, someone else will be telling WG their "quitting suggestions" and opine that if WG wants to stay in bidniss, they BETTER LISTEN within those time frames stated in the previous sentence.

Honestly, I am not being dismissive.  I'd just like you to realize the depth and breadth of material WG has to wade through in these forums.  You'd be better off sending a critique in your Quitting WoT Survey with this stuff.  It will at least get read by one WG Staffer.

Here' if you choose to remain and read, I again offer your attention to my first post.  If you choose to remain out, then for all those that decide they will keep at it, check those links and do this one thing:

Pay More Attention to the Game ON PURPOSE while playing...

If you do so in an honest and sincere effort, I can guaranty you that your gaming will improve, even if your teams don't.  You will find you live longer, shoot more penetrating rounds and achieve all manner of useless virtual badges to stroke your gamer's ego (I know I like them) while you see your little WR bar creep ever higher.

Look, My stats are for me.  I have to be honest, though, I enjoy watching it tick along ever so slightly upwards.  It means I am doing better over time and on the whole.  That keeps me vested enough to keep learning and playing.  I started off as a FTPP (Free To Play Pubbie) and haven't spent a penny on this game.  I didn't get protected any better, in fact, much less so, than the OP when I started and I admit, it has a valid set of points in some parts.

That said, here I am, stubborn I guess, and getting better at a game that I thought might be too hard for a while, too.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

Stinkdruese #72 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 15:51

Private

• -Players-
  • 195 battles

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 18 2017 - 00:05, said:

I'm not so sure about "rarely hitting another tank". Mittengard was chaos, but I did hit something. But yes, you will get killed a lot. Looking at how single-digit percentages in win rate seem to distinguish good and bad players even good players must get killed a lot. Which makes sense, since most battles seem to end with one side being routed.

Looking at any other online PvP game it is pretty much the same. In fact, the relatively slow pace of WoT makes it even less chaotic than your average FPS.

I have no idea, but I'm sure there are players with maxed out tanks even in lower tiers, but they should be as likely to be on your team as they would be on the enemy's team. I just finished a series of 5 games in Tier IV. I wasn't top tier even once, which is no surprise at all in that tier. The last game I spent pinning down two higher-tier opponents by tracking them over and over. Not the most spectacular exercise, but I figure that's just the reality of this game until I get more experience and get my crews trained.

bearcat78b12 #73 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 21:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10534 battles
  • [FILO1] FILO1

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Nov 13 2017 - 23:25, said:

Back in my day we walked 10 miles to a one room school house thru 5 foot snow drifts ....

You forgot "Uphill Both Ways"!

I have been here just over 11 months it will take many more games than 50 to be able to play well. sorry you didn't like it!

Everyone has told me to uninstall and load Hello Kitty....maybe you'll enjoy that more.

Best of luck!

GeorgePreddy #74 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 21:45

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
Quitters... the world is full of them.

Stinkdruese #75 Posted Nov 18 2017 - 22:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 195 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Nov 17 2017 - 19:54, said:

Thank you, still enjoying it, so far. Limiting myself to one type of tank makes things a little easier, too. (And thanks a lot for the message, but I'm too new, I cannot reply yet. It's probably also too early for me to join a clan, as much as I appreciate the support.)

Alky6 #76 Posted Nov 20 2017 - 05:41

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3615 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostSlatherer, on Nov 14 2017 - 06:54, said:

Back in my day, you had to load the computer's OS on 5.25 in floppy disc's every time you started it. 

My first home computer used a cassette tape, 5 1/2" floppies weren't invented yet!  LOL

Chalybos #77 Posted Nov 20 2017 - 15:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21375 battles

View PostStinkdruese, on Nov 18 2017 - 16:29, said:

Thank you, still enjoying it, so far. Limiting myself to one type of tank makes things a little easier, too. (And thanks a lot for the message, but I'm too new, I cannot reply yet. It's probably also too early for me to join a clan, as much as I appreciate the support.)

Working just 1 tank line at a time is good, to get a decent handle on what each tank type has going for it.  You'll also see that you'll improve in the ability to play that tank type.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users