Newcomer to WoT... and why I quit

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

capncrunch21 #21 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 01:03

Private

• -Players-
  • 52 battles

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 13 2017 - 22:54, said:

The account is more than 2 years old with no battles in the last 60 days and probably longer if any cares to look. He isn't even aware that tiers 1 and 2 have sheltered MM and I doubt he knows anything about the experience level of the other team. It's difficult to take the OP seriously. 

View PostOldFrog75, on Nov 13 2017 - 23:40, said:

That is suspicious.

​I have ben playing World of Warships for about 2 years now. Hence the date on my account.

I am brand new to WoT. The differences between games is night and day for new players. There is TRUE tier protection in WoWs. Apparently that is severely broken here.

I might only have 50 game here (and I seriously thought about dropping at 20 because I could see the writing on the wall), but that was plenty to see that for new players like me the experience is awful and most importantly - NOT fun. As I said in the OP, I don't mind losing - as long as I have a chance. For new players, there is no chance. You simply have to 'suck it up buttercup' and get seal clubbed over, and over, and over.

I WANT to like WoT, I am a long time customer in the other game. I want to see WG succeed. But the new player experience is slamming the door shut on newbs. And in the long run, that is gonna leave less and less people for the seal clubbers to play against - and ultimately kill the game as a whole.

Boghie #22 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 01:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3344 battles

I guess I'm just a meathead.  I like the complexity of the game...

But, here is something odd.  I'm a Tomato - so I ain't too good.  But, for me to start an American Light tank line or a Soviet Medium line I have to start at Tier I and work my way up.  I did so this weekend because of the x5 experience and the reduced basic training cost.  It has been rather horrible.  I am not very good when the team is bad - and all noob teams are bad by definition.  However, I am a bit of a Seal Clubber.  I know the maps, I can relatively quickly figure out that the stock gun on the T-45 ain't penning nothing and it is not my fault.  I can at least figure out that I am hitting the target.  This chap (OP) not so much.  He is jumping from stock tank to stock tank with default 50% crews and is having a horrible experience.

OP, if you want to give this a try my guess is that the training grounds thing gave you some 'credits', maybe some 'gold', and maybe even a 'tank'.  Stay in Tier II or III, pick a tank that you are doing OK in (even though it is stock and has a crappy crew) then improve the basic training of the crew to either 75% (free with credits) or better yet to 100% (with the free gold you probably got).  Then, play a bit and build up your tank experience and upgrade that tank to max.  You probably have some 'free experience' from the training grounds as well.  Max that bad boy out and you will be a Seal With A Club.  That is kinda how this game is played.  Spreading your time and money around lots of tanks just kinda makes you poorer and more frustrated.

One last thing.  Some tanks just suck for some people.  Folks around here rave about the PzII that you are doing OK in.  It is a bit of a clubber for some around here.  For me, it almost got me out of the game - but in the end it helped me find this site and started my massive YouTuber time wasting.  Give it a shot.  Give us 15 games in the PzII, buff it up, and get your crew set up.  Also, get the crew (all of them) starting the concealment skill right after you get to to 100% basic trained. 

Peak_Bagger #23 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 02:37

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9469 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 13 2017 - 22:29, said:

Just wanted to give some feedback to Wargaming as a new player to the game... and why I quit after only a few days.

I thought WG did a good job with the tutorial, teaching me the basics of the game - but after that it was just one huge unfun experience.

A new player is immediately tossed into the fire after finishing the tutorial. Seriously - I was the seal for an entire army of sealclubbers out there in my brand new tanks. I really wanted to like this game but with absolutely stock tanks and 50% crews without a clue where the 'good spots' were on maps, I just kept getting slaughtered over and over again (even in my 'best' tank - the one from the tutorial). I rarely got a single hit on an enemy over multiple battles. In one battle alone I saw a single enemy tank charge a group of 4 of us obvious noobs. He simply danced in and around our little group, killing us off one by one in less than 20 seconds  - and never got hit once by any of us.The only reason my win rate is even close to 50% is because Match Maker saw I sucked and put me on teams which could carry.

I literally failed my way up the tech tree. The times I would actually hit something would be the times my team lost. And visa versa. So my rewards stank and my enjoyment of the game just kept plummeting.

I only found after the first 10 battles that there was a 'noob zone' I could have played in to get XP without being clubbed. Or I assume that... because it was simply an announcement that I could no longer participate in it since I now had 10 battles played. I really have no idea what the area was - it sure would have been nice to have that as the default starting mode instead of Random (sealclubbing) Battles. Another thing that was lacking was any kind of artillery tank instruction. They play so much differently from regular tanks that they should be taught in the tutorial as well - I was completely useless my first couple of times playing them.

But I kept thinking, I'll get better, my tanks will get better equipment, my crews will get better and I'll finally start enjoying the game. Nope. After 50 some battles, I'm done.

Wargaming, I know you are having a hard time keeping players, let alone growing the game. So take some advice from a new player who really wanted to like this game - - YOU NEED TO PUT NEW PLAYERS IN THEIR OWN MATCHES AGAINST EACH OTHER. Seal clubbing is EXTREMELY unfun for brand new players. I don't mind losing if I feel I am on equal footing, but to be absolutely waffle stomped in every game I am in, is just plain stupid - and why I (and probably many other new players) have left the game.

If you're not enjoying the game, it only makes sense to drop it now Capt. I do think you need to give it a better chance, though. And before you quit, I strongly recommend trying this:

1. Pick up a Cruiser II

2. Install the 3.7 inch howitzer

3. Take your time in a battle and obliterate that Pz. IC that is buzzing around your team like an angry mosquito. One hit will do it.

4. Revel in his post game rage. Those guys tend to rage.

If you don't enjoy that, then yeah, the game probably isn't for you. Good luck with whatever you decide!

the_Deadly_Bulb #24 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 02:58

Major

• Players
  • 18433 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 13 2017 - 13:29, said:

Just wanted to give some feedback to Wargaming as a new player to the game... and why I quit after only a few days.

I thought WG did a good job with the tutorial, teaching me the basics of the game - but after that it was just one huge unfun experience.

A new player is immediately tossed into the fire after finishing the tutorial. Seriously - I was the seal for an entire army of sealclubbers out there in my brand new tanks. I really wanted to like this game but with absolutely stock tanks and 50% crews without a clue where the 'good spots' were on maps, I just kept getting slaughtered over and over again (even in my 'best' tank - the one from the tutorial). I rarely got a single hit on an enemy over multiple battles. In one battle alone I saw a single enemy tank charge a group of 4 of us obvious noobs. He simply danced in and around our little group, killing us off one by one in less than 20 seconds  - and never got hit once by any of us.The only reason my win rate is even close to 50% is because Match Maker saw I sucked and put me on teams which could carry.

I literally failed my way up the tech tree. The times I would actually hit something would be the times my team lost. And visa versa. So my rewards stank and my enjoyment of the game just kept plummeting.

I only found after the first 10 battles that there was a 'noob zone' I could have played in to get XP without being clubbed. Or I assume that... because it was simply an announcement that I could no longer participate in it since I now had 10 battles played. I really have no idea what the area was - it sure would have been nice to have that as the default starting mode instead of Random (sealclubbing) Battles. Another thing that was lacking was any kind of artillery tank instruction. They play so much differently from regular tanks that they should be taught in the tutorial as well - I was completely useless my first couple of times playing them.

But I kept thinking, I'll get better, my tanks will get better equipment, my crews will get better and I'll finally start enjoying the game. Nope. After 50 some battles, I'm done.

Wargaming, I know you are having a hard time keeping players, let alone growing the game. So take some advice from a new player who really wanted to like this game - - YOU NEED TO PUT NEW PLAYERS IN THEIR OWN MATCHES AGAINST EACH OTHER. Seal clubbing is EXTREMELY unfun for brand new players. I don't mind losing if I feel I am on equal footing, but to be absolutely waffle stomped in every game I am in, is just plain stupid - and why I (and probably many other new players) have left the game.

Go make a new account. Get a promo code and a free Premium tank.

This account you've posted on is ATM averaging 50%. Most new players would be glad to be where you are. You're recent battles in T-III are over 72% WR.

What exactly do you want?

The first tiers are protected. Once youre passed T-III you will see +2 MM for most tanks most battles, and in T-V and VIII this usually means bottom tier.

If the game is too hard for you then that's fine. You don't have to enjoy it, many don't.

WG has zero reason to consider your advice as literally every player that plays the game has gone through at least this and in earlier iterations of MM potentially much worse.

If you're not enjoying learning and playing the game then bye, watch that door doesn't hit you. :honoring:

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Nov 14 2017 - 03:06.

Demonic_Angel_of_Death #25 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 03:15

Major

• Players
  • 2142 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Nov 13 2017 - 17:25, said:

Back in my day we walked 10 miles to a one room school house thru 5 foot snow drifts ....

Back in my day you had to go to a computer and manually type in "Youtube.~~~" to go watch videos online, not sit on your couch and press a magical button on your T.V. Remote... :sceptic:

flyingpig_fp #26 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 03:24

Private

• -Players-
  • 128 battles

I agree, there needs to be a place where noobs (like me) can learn the game.  There is such a long learning curve and it is worse because players with thousands of battles are playing tier 1,2,3 tanks against noobs.  I suggest that proving ground give some experience for more than 10 battles and that the bots get a little buff so they play more like a human.  Second match maker should have a noob sensor to place noobs in tier 1 & 2 against noobs.  Tier 3 and up you can defend yourself.  

Edited by flyingpig_fp, Nov 14 2017 - 03:25.

capncrunch21 #27 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 04:03

Private

• -Players-
  • 52 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Nov 14 2017 - 02:58, said:

Go make a new account. Get a promo code and a free Premium tank.

This account you've posted on is ATM averaging 50%. Most new players would be glad to be where you are. You're recent battles in T-III are over 72% WR.

What exactly do you want?

The first tiers are protected. Once youre passed T-III you will see +2 MM for most tanks most battles, and in T-V and VIII this usually means bottom tier.

If the game is too hard for you then that's fine. You don't have to enjoy it, many don't.

WG has zero reason to consider your advice as literally every player that plays the game has gone through at least this and in earlier iterations of MM potentially much worse.

If you're not enjoying learning and playing the game then bye, watch that door doesn't hit you. :honoring:

​Premium tanks are not a fix for the overall situation here. As for the rest of your post, people like you are what make newcomers like me want to leave even faster. Why bother posting in a newcomers forum if you're just going to say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Very constructive and informative.

And as for that 72% win rate at Tier 3 - - you realize I had ZERO to do with that, right? Check my damage, kill, and survival rates. I got CARRIED to that score. Despite how hard I tried, I contributed little or nothing in every single one of the 50 games I was in. That is not my definition of fun. I'd like to participate as something more than an easy kill for the enemy team.

If Wargaming wants WoT to get new players and retain them, they damn well better listen to people like me.

Edited by capncrunch21, Nov 14 2017 - 04:07.

dunniteowl #28 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 04:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 18533 battles

OP, sorry you're not liking it.  This is a much faster paced game than WoWS will ever be.  If you're not liking it now, then you won't like it later, I'm willing to wager.  Yes, bail out now.

The first time I made a suggestion on the forums it was in the: "If you could change one thing about Wot, what would it be?"

I posted that I thought we should have a 'group training' area:

1) That allows up to 30 people on the map where they can learn the map, train with other people and get to know their units.  Like a sort of chat room for tanks, I suppose, in that sense -- or a VMUD.

2) Have a time limit or number of kills/deaths limit that gets you auto-kicked from the Training Room.  If you want more training, get back into the queue and wait.

3) Have a 'number of times' limit that a specific unit can go into a training room in this fashion on any given day.  That way you can't crap up a training room all day long with your Pz IIc or Matilda.

4) Tiers I, II & III do not pay for ammo or repairs in the training room, though do pay for prem rounds/consumables.  Tiers IV, V & VI pay for: 1/2 repairs, prem. ammo/consumables.  Tiers VII -- X pay repairs, prem. rounds/consumables.

5) NO XP, Credits or Awards can be earned in the Training Rooms!  They are for training, not padding your account!  They are there for you to learn new tanks, new maps, new techniques, new tactics, etc. and not there for you to hang out in to club noobs.  Thus, the higher tier you go, the more it costs you anyway, but the more costs you will also have.  In line with reducing the more experienced folks from being in there at higher tiers unless they are really just learning their tank.  This is 'training wheels' time, not crew grinding or tank research.

In such a place (there would be multiple rooms, separated by tier, training classes (like Med Hvy City Brawling; or LT Passive Scouting) the players would go with either someone else to train for specific things, like getting hull down, or focus fire training as a group or to simply tool around the map and get to know it better as well as learning how your tank handles with that setup at that time.

This was my suggestion if I could change ONE THING in WoT and I would still offer that I would still like to see it implemented.

Why?

Because, as a new player, I found the ability to get a Training Room pretty much impossible.  I didn't know anyone and I'm not into jumping into a game and "making friends" right away.  I wanted to get the lay of the land.  So I found the training rooms right away.  Then found I simply couldn't use them by my self. Bzzzt!  Seriously?!?

How do new people get to train in a training room if they don't know anyone?  It's a Catch-22 situation and that is generally considered bad.  At the time I joined, there was no Proving Grounds, no Enter Boot Camp, no Tank Academy and no fully trained crews.  So I totally understand your point of view, OP.

(for the OP if he's willing to give it a go -- and to anyone NEW reading this, you might folllow this in general as a starter concept)

That said, if you just started playing, then you should have already been able to go to Proving Grounds (and I believe a new tank will still get some XP in Proving Grounds, but it has to be a low tier -- and I could be wrong, I haven't checked that out).  Even if you don't get XP and credits in Proving Grounds or Enter Boot Camp, you can still learn more about how to operate your units on the maps in general and that is well worth the time even if you're not getting credits or XP.

Your personal experience at operating your units is going to pay off, no matter what you get from it in terms of XP, Credits or Awards -- or none of those.  You working the controls and getting a feel for things isn't something that happens immediately.  Also, consider the extra 20K credits per crew member for starting off with a 75% trained crew.  There's a noticeable difference in them versus a free 50% crew.  New players, though, now get 100% tier I crews.  So get a new account, use a reference code or one of those offer codes from, say, Reddit and come in with 500 gold, 1,000,000 credits (I believe) and at least one free Premium tank of some sort.  Sorry, I'm already playing, have a record of effort and am not willing to start over, so I don't know a lot about that.

Again, though, if you know you don't like it, then definitely stop.  If you're not really sure -- or if, like me, you are sort of stubborn and refuse to let a game "beat" you, then consider the advice I -- and many others -- have provided to get a cleaner start. 

And help me promote that training room idea!  With grand battles taking place, it seems to me that the necessary code is already in place to allow respawns into a map and queue it up separate from the rest of the player queues.  Just like the Group Training Area would need.  Set a respawn limit, a kill limit and a number of times limit attached to the unit/user so that they only get so much time in that tank in the training rooms.  We'd have a place where folks could go to learn as a group or get specialized training with a friend or mentor.  Someone could be in the room at specific times with the plan that anyone that shows up while they are there can get Armor Angling and Hull Down training; or Passive versus Active Scouting, that sort of thing.

GL, HF & HSYBF

Edited by dunniteowl, Nov 14 2017 - 04:31.

GeorgePreddy #29 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 04:30

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

View Post1K1LLuDi3, on Nov 13 2017 - 18:53, said:

...they have many accounts in violation to EULA

Having more than 1 account is not a EULA violation.

the_Deadly_Bulb #30 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 05:26

Major

• Players
  • 18433 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 13 2017 - 19:03, said:

​Premium tanks are not a fix for the overall situation here. As for the rest of your post, people like you are what make newcomers like me want to leave even faster. Why bother posting in a newcomers forum if you're just going to say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Very constructive and informative.

And as for that 72% win rate at Tier 3 - - you realize I had ZERO to do with that, right? Check my damage, kill, and survival rates. I got CARRIED to that score. Despite how hard I tried, I contributed little or nothing in every single one of the 50 games I was in. That is not my definition of fun. I'd like to participate as something more than an easy kill for the enemy team.

If Wargaming wants WoT to get new players and retain them, they damn well better listen to people like me.

Your thread title is "Newcomer to WoT... and why I quit" remember?

It doesn't say come coax me back.

It says you're done.

Get a grip player.

I told you that your stats are fine (above the average for your game count) and that many new players would be happy to be where you are.

Something too critical about that?

I'll tell you what people like me do, regularly, we help players who ask. What I wont do is coddle or listen to butt hurt BS from players new or experienced who believe they are special. That WG and forces beyond their control are ruining this game for them. I won't support your self delusion or theirs.

If you don't like it then leave.

If you are looking for advice I suggest losing the 'I quit' and embracing the 'how can I get better'.

Its your choice.

No body helps a quitter, because nobody likes them.

WG wants to make money, when they stop making it on WoT they'll close down the servers. Your opinion, mine nor anyone else's have precious little to do with it.

There is little in your OP or your reply to me that is born out in reality.

Again leave if you want to. My advice was good. Start a new account, get a free Church III. Learn from your mistakes, or leave. Whining will get you nothing.

capncrunch21 #31 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 05:42

Private

• -Players-
  • 52 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Nov 14 2017 - 05:26, said:

Your thread title is "Newcomer to WoT... and why I quit" remember?

It doesn't say come coax me back.

It says you're done.

Get a grip player.

I told you that your stats are fine (above the average for your game count) and that many new players would be happy to be where you are.

Something too critical about that?

I'll tell you what people like me do, regularly, we help players who ask. What I wont do is coddle or listen to butt hurt BS from players new or experienced who believe they are special. That WG and forces beyond their control are ruining this game for them. I won't support your self delusion or theirs.

If you don't like it then leave.

If you are looking for advice I suggest losing the 'I quit' and embracing the 'how can I get better'.

Its your choice.

No body helps a quitter, because nobody likes them.

WG wants to make money, when they stop making it on WoT they'll close down the servers. Your opinion, mine nor anyone else's have precious little to do with it.

There is little in your OP or your reply to me that is born out in reality.

Again leave if you want to. My advice was good. Start a new account, get a free Church III. Learn from your mistakes, or leave. Whining will get you nothing.

​You are looking at the small picture. A premium tank is NOT going to suddenly make me a better player or stop me or any other completely new player to the game from being seal clubbed. I have quit and thought my feedback to Wargaming on my experience as a new player might help them in the future retain new players instead of driving them off.

But again, thanks for the supportive attitude - I'm sure it's extremely encouraging to new players sitting on the fence reading these forums. *rolls eyes*

Doomslinger__ #32 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 05:51

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21 battles

As long as they allow new players to slap down 50 bucks and instantly play in tier 8 tanks, they should allow all players to play any tier they like. You want to limit these "seal clubbers" then to be fair you have to limit who can play past tier 5. Tier limiting due to skill and/or number of battles played would be the end of this game.

I would like to note that back a few years ago, the game was much harsher for newer players. Tier 3 tanks would see tier 5 battles almost non stop. This was before gold ammo for credits so no one used them. Try fighting a KV-1 or T1 heavy tank in your tier 3 tank with a pea shooter. I will never forget the constant "that one bounced" or "we didn't penetrate their armor" or "that one didn't go through" as I plinked away at the KV-1 in my pz38t. Also, I think once you got to tier 4, tanks could see three tiers higher. Scout tanks only went to tier 5 but could see tier 10 battles. Arty only went to tier 8 but could one shot you. Tank destroyers in tier 3 and 4 that had 400 meters of view range etc. If you think seal clubbing is bad now you would melt like a snowflake back in 2012 when it was a much harsher game for new players and yet somehow many of us survived and still play. I think the new batch of players are very weak minded compared to the original player base. I blame it on the "participation awards and everyone is a winner" generations that is producing the whiniest generation we have ever seen. In the past year or two I have seen a significant increase in the amount of whiners in battles that  do very little damage or anything, get destroyed and then start to rage at the team for being "idiots". It's like they expect the team to carry their worthless [edited]every battle or something. When they don't get their "participation award" or a win, they can't handle it and rage at the others.

Edited by Doomslinger__, Nov 14 2017 - 06:14.

Hellsfog #33 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:39

Major

• Players
  • 31184 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 13 2017 - 19:03, said:

​I have ben playing World of Warships for about 2 years now. Hence the date on my account.

I am brand new to WoT. The differences between games is night and day for new players. There is TRUE tier protection in WoWs. Apparently that is severely broken here.

I might only have 50 game here (and I seriously thought about dropping at 20 because I could see the writing on the wall), but that was plenty to see that for new players like me the experience is awful and most importantly - NOT fun. As I said in the OP, I don't mind losing - as long as I have a chance. For new players, there is no chance. You simply have to 'suck it up buttercup' and get seal clubbed over, and over, and over.

I WANT to like WoT, I am a long time customer in the other game. I want to see WG succeed. But the new player experience is slamming the door shut on newbs. And in the long run, that is gonna leave less and less people for the seal clubbers to play against - and ultimately kill the game as a whole.

You've been playing warships against bots for 1,600 battles, which hardly makes you a long time consumer.  I guess having to play against actual humans feels like seal clubbing to you. 

oldewolfe #34 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11580 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

I started an EU Account a few weeks ago and I knew going in it was going to be Rough, and frankly I think it's actually Worse now than when I started.....      

These New Players have no Clue what they're getting into, I do and I am having No Fun being the Pinata at the Party.....         It has little to do with Player as much as the 50% Crew being essentially Useless except to add wieght to the Bottom of the Rank to keep it from Tipping Over... 

Yes, 50 some Games is Small, but I see guy down at the Lowest Tiers with 100k Games Played....       And you can bet they have their Skills Maxed across the Board....      Fun for that Guy, not so much thr guys just Unlocking his first Tier 2 or 3 and a Crew of Less than Zero's....       

Desert_Faux #35 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:48

Major

• Players
  • 3506 battles
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM

I got curbed stomped my first few hundred matches. Try to learn by using all resources possible. Like the forum (why my stupid post count is so high), watch other players after you die. I would select the best player in that match and just watch him. Watch where he hides, how he travels. How he positions his tank. Watch and eventually you'll see a pattern, where the best spots are, where to spot best from. ETC....

This is a tough game, prepare to suck for awhile. I still suck and not proud of it but my stats are slowly going up. Not as fast as I would like but as long as you continuously improve your stats most people won't give you grief... if your stats are a flat line or go down then prepare to be looked down upon.

Most players sucked when they started this game, look at the total game counts of most of the better players. 

Also a suggestion is DO NOT THINK THE GOAL OF THIS GAME IS TO GET AS HIGH TIER AS YOU CAN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Enjoy a few hundred matches in lower tiers, get your skills up and practice. Most people wanna fail their way up and get the highest tier tank they can as fast as they can't and ignore getting better in the process...

Congrats, you got a shiny new Su-85b that can dominate, but if you skipped learning to better yourself as a player before getting it all you did was just cheat yourself. 

GeorgePreddy #36 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:51

Major

• Players
  • 14291 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

View Postcapncrunch21, on Nov 14 2017 - 01:42, said:

​You are looking at the small picture. A premium tank is NOT going to suddenly make me a better player or stop me or any other completely new player to the game from being seal clubbed. I have quit and thought my feedback to Wargaming on my experience as a new player might help them in the future retain new players instead of driving them off.

But again, thanks for the supportive attitude - I'm sure it's extremely encouraging to new players sitting on the fence reading these forums. *rolls eyes*

You are not WoT material... it's good that you realized it after only 50 battles.  Your ultra-quick realization that WoT is not for you will save you a lot of grief.

WoT requires a bit of intestinal fortitude, "guts" if you will. WoT has a very steep and very long learning curve. That combination runs off weaker players, but is challenging to players with a stronger constitution. It's also what makes the game interesting for years instead of just months or even only days in the case of simpler, easier games.

Good luck to you on finding that immediate gratification game you will enjoy more.

Slatherer #37 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 29264 battles

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Nov 13 2017 - 18:15, said:

Back in my day you had to go to a computer and manually type in "Youtube.~~~" to go watch videos online, not sit on your couch and press a magical button on your T.V. Remote... :sceptic:

Back in my day, you had to load the computer's OS on 5.25 in floppy disc's every time you started it.  You'd have to repeat the process if you wanted to run any programs or save any data.

And yes, we called them PROGRAMS not apps.

As for the op, Thx for your feedback.  Hopefully WG reads this forum, like they always do, and responds.

Red_Ensign #38 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 16:22

Major

• Players
  • 6610 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

ways to mitigate disadvantages of weak tanks and 50% crews:

- don't use 50% crews - you can get 75% pretty cheaply.  not having enough credits for this is a sign you're advancing way too fast

- your view range will be weak so don't go first - enemies will see you first and snipe you before you can see them

- instead, let someone with better vision go first and kills what he spots

- if you must advance alone, dash from hard cover to hard cover, don't try hiding in bushes yet

- your aim will be garbage, so chose 'spray and pray' weapons, get close by bopping from cover to cover, and unload at close range

- your reloads will be a bit longer with spray and pray weapons - run back into cover immediately after unloading and get lost until you're ready to fire again

- if enemies are on a cliff or steep hill, you can run up to the base of the hill to spot them for your team (despite having bad view range) and a lot of times they can't fire down at you without exposing themselves

- be bait.  by capping you may win, or at least force someone to come back to deal with you, pulling them out of position and making them vulnerable to your team

- again, be bait.  force a strong enemy to turn his turret/tank so that a teammate can shoot him in the weaker back armor.  just duck into cover before the enemy can blast you

- if all of your team goes one way, don't try to hold the other side.  go with them

- if you need to reset enemies that are capturing your base and you aren't sure if your shot will penetrate, use high explosive.  1 damage point is all you need

- if you're about to be overrun by half the enemy team, it's ok to run.  alive and regrouping with the team is much more useful than manly and dead

- use premium ammo if you need to.  new players don't know weak spots and clubbers take advantage of this.  press 2 and waste a clubber.  it feels great.

Darkbee2Bee #39 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 16:33

Major

• Players
  • 32033 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

I think WG has made some small, incremental improvements over the years to help the new user experience but it's a bit of an impossible challenge (like 100% crews and bootcamp).  As a sidebar, maybe they don't do the whole 100% crew thing any more but I'm not sure why anyone even noobs would run with 50% crews; that is serious gimping right there.  I don't think there is a steady enough influx of new players to support a "kiddie pool", and you will always have the situation of more experienced players versus new players.  We were all noobs once.   You can try to separate the two, but where is the line?  At what point are you no longer considered a noob?  I do agree with an earlier suggestion of making training rooms more accessible, especially for newbies.

Just re-reading the OP, I think your situation is somewhat unique in that it seems like your expectations (of yourself) were quite high going into the game (maybe because you've played WoWs).  Sadly for you, I think that ultimately worked against you as this game has quite a high skill ceiling (compared to other games) and a steep learning curve.  I think back to my experiences as a noob and I recall spending several hundred battles running around, being clueless, not really caring about stats, or carrying my weight.  For me it was just fun shooting at tanks.  It took a while before I decided that I had probably get better and actually start learning how to play.  In addition, I did reading on the forums and consulted guides, so I deliberately avoided "rushing up the tiers" as all guides worth their salt advised against it.  If you've lost that fun factor after only 50 battles then it's doubtful you'd ever get it back to be honest.  With that said, I do remember having the realization early on that I was competing with some people who had better crews, equipment and other advantages over me.  However, that just motivated me to become one of them.  I still remember the excitement at getting my first binoculars and Camo net, and having to manually transfer them between several tanks (it was painful but I felt it was worth it to at least compete on some level).

I know it seems like a cop-out, even snarky, to say that maybe this game "isn't for you" but this is a genuine response.  Some people don't like certain games.  I like Minecraft, but I don't like Terraria, even though some people will tell me that it's a more in-depth, 2D version of Minecraft (with more items and possibilities).   That doesn't mean Terraria is a bad game, or I'm a bad person for not liking it.  It is what it is.

Thanks for your feedback.  Maybe WG will take it into consideration.  I wish you good luck in finding games that satisfy the itch that WoT couldn't.

Desert_Faux #40 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:04

Major

• Players
  • 3506 battles
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM

View PostSlatherer, on Nov 14 2017 - 14:54, said:

Back in my day, you had to load the computer's OS on 5.25 in floppy disc's every time you started it.  You'd have to repeat the process if you wanted to run any programs or save any data.

And yes, we called them PROGRAMS not apps.

As for the op, Thx for your feedback.  Hopefully WG reads this forum, like they always do, and responds.

Remember the old Tandy computers? I remember big computer plus monitor and larger files were like 133kb. I remember running out of space and could only play certain games like you said having to have the giant floppy discs in the computer to do so.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users