Newcomer to WoT... and why I quit

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Chalybos #41 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21318 battles
Easy fix to remove sealclubbing is to remove tier 1-4 results from stat keeping.  Zero all that crapout, then there's not any reason for non-newbs to be there.

the_Deadly_Bulb #42 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:58

Major

• Players
  • 18357 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostDoomslinger__, on Nov 13 2017 - 20:51, said:

As long as they allow new players to slap down 50 bucks and instantly play in tier 8 tanks, they should allow all players to play any tier they like. You want to limit these "seal clubbers" then to be fair you have to limit who can play past tier 5. Tier limiting due to skill and/or number of battles played would be the end of this game.

I would like to note that back a few years ago, the game was much harsher for newer players. Tier 3 tanks would see tier 5 battles almost non stop. This was before gold ammo for credits so no one used them. Try fighting a KV-1 or T1 heavy tank in your tier 3 tank with a pea shooter. I will never forget the constant "that one bounced" or "we didn't penetrate their armor" or "that one didn't go through" as I plinked away at the KV-1 in my pz38t. Also, I think once you got to tier 4, tanks could see three tiers higher. Scout tanks only went to tier 5 but could see tier 10 battles. Arty only went to tier 8 but could one shot you. Tank destroyers in tier 3 and 4 that had 400 meters of view range etc. If you think seal clubbing is bad now you would melt like a snowflake back in 2012 when it was a much harsher game for new players and yet somehow many of us survived and still play. I think the new batch of players are very weak minded compared to the original player base. I blame it on the "participation awards and everyone is a winner" generations that is producing the whiniest generation we have ever seen. In the past year or two I have seen a significant increase in the amount of whiners in battles that  do very little damage or anything, get destroyed and then start to rage at the team for being "idiots". It's like they expect the team to carry their worthless [edited]every battle or something. When they don't get their "participation award" or a win, they can't handle it and rage at the others.

All good points.

Don't get me wrong, when I advised the OP to start a new account and get a free Premium I was referring to perhaps a Church III.

I would never and have never recommended that a player with little experience go out and slap down cash for a T-VIII Premium. Matter of fact I have commented, at length, as to how and why the ability for new players to do so serves no one well. Not the player, not their teams, and when they leave feeling ripped off because the shiney new T-VIII only makes them suck at a higher tier, the game itself. Just say no to PPS (Premium Piñata Syndrome).

IMO no one should be limited by tier regardless of their battle count as to acquiring any earned tank. I do however think it would be better for everyone and the game if players were unable to bring any Premium tank beyond T-V to the battlefield until they have at least one earned tank at the same tier as the Premium. If they buy them or win them (Tank Rewards) then they can take them into training rooms and or SHs (if their clan is OK with it I'm sure the opponents will be), otherwise they should just sit in their garage until they're ready to actually enjoy them rather than being serially destroyed in them while playing like a sack of hammers for their team. Of course that's just me and I know this will never happen.

da_Rock002 #43 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 18:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5214 battles

View PostChalybos, on Nov 14 2017 - 11:35, said:

Easy fix to remove sealclubbing is to remove tier 1-4 results from stat keeping.  Zero all that crapout, then there's not any reason for non-newbs to be there.

Now there is a good idea.....

the_Deadly_Bulb #44 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 18357 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostChalybos, on Nov 14 2017 - 08:35, said:

Not a bad idea, but I would make a few tiny amendments

Apply to T-I to III

Let the stats continue in these tiers, but only until a certain number of battles have been completed. Once the player has completed 5k games or earned a T-IV vehicle they no longer change their stats when they play below T-IV. This will frustrate Seal Clubbers but permit new players who are doing what they can to see and keep their stats. Not everyone sucks as bad as I did when they start and those that do alright should be able to know how they are doing.

Edited by the_Deadly_Bulb, Nov 14 2017 - 18:09.

Darkbee2Bee #45 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:39

Major

• Players
  • 31952 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-

Not all seal clubbers care about stats... some men just want to watch the world burn (or they're simply not good enough to perform well at higher tiers).

There are some legitimate reasons to seal club too.  I have a lot of low tier premiums (a lot of them gifted to me by WG) and I use them to train crews from other higher tier tanks.   Is this fair?  Maybe not.  Is it outside of the rules of the game or prohibited?  Absolutely not.

I don't have a problem with not getting any stats in lower tiers (although as pointed out, people need some way to measure their performance; even newbies), but I don't think it's a silver bullet.

oldewolfe #46 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 23:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11542 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

Yah, I started a few years ago, had no clue about the Free Goodies Newbies get...    Even when I started my EU Account there wasn't anything to say they were doing it still...     lol

So, I get to take the Hard Road again, but what the heck right...       Hate to have to go thru all that again just to try a Church III...     

Hard_Time_0424 #47 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 23:08

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 13 2017 - 16:54, said:

The account is more than 2 years old with no battles in the last 60 days and probably longer if any cares to look. He isn't even aware that tiers 1 and 2 have sheltered MM and I doubt he knows anything about the experience level of the other team. It's difficult to take the OP seriously. 

Ah, interesting.  Notice, I just finished the training sessions and I am a convert from console with about 12,000 games.  Trying to understand the social and mechanical differences.  Am I understanding you correctly that some how MM knows you are a noob and won't drop you into a seal slaughter?  Does it do it by game count or EFF, WR, or something else?  I always thought that when I bought a new tank, my first few games seemed easier than those I came to expect.  Didn't know it was kind to beginner Noobs!

Thanks for the info.  Hope I get it going before the grace period ends!!

BTW.  My first seal clubbings were painful until I stopped feeling sorry for myself and watch the clubber.  If being purple is your only gig, so be it; but, there are purples with average tank levels over VIII, and some with III.  At least WoT players don't come after you for mistakes like the for-profit players in WOW (not World of Warships).

Edited by Hard_Time_0424, Nov 14 2017 - 23:14.

Boghie #48 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 00:39

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3344 battles

I got clubbed this past weekend in Tier IV.  A purple player with 50K games clanked me on the head.  Got a little pissed. 

Looked at his tank selection and saw that he had tons of battles in low tier tanks.  What a Seal Clubber.  But, then I noticed he basically had the same number of games (400) in ALL his tanks from Tier I through Tier X.  Kinda cool actually.  He just enjoys the game and the tanks.  No problem.  No problem at all.  Enjoy the game...

And, I got a shot or two in on him;)

strenfoo #49 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 00:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11851 battles
  • [C_NTS] C_NTS

I get that lots of new people are turned off by the extremely steep learning curve this game has but consider the flip side.  That difficult learning curve is by far the biggest reason I've stuck around.  I liked that I was immediately thrown into the fire with seal clubbers and whatnot when I first started.  Instead of getting pissed and quitting, that motivated me to really figure out how this game works and how to improve at it.  I like that there is no skill based MM.  I like that I sometimes get matches where the odds are stacked against me and I'm fighting a bunch of unicums who are much better than me.  I much preferred the old MM because it made the games harder when the odds were against you and that drove me to try and figure out ways to outsmart the enemy.  All this drives me to keep improving and keeps me interested in the game.  It's what makes this a hobby and not just a way to waste time when I'm bored (that's what TV is for).

This game should be hard.  New players should have to work hard.  I want to have people on my team and playing against people who like that kind of challenge.  There are plenty of other online games out there if you want an easy experience.

I bet I'm not the only one who thinks this way.  In fact, I'd argue that most veteran players at least partially feel the same way.

Gtraxeman #50 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24367 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostHellsfog, on Nov 14 2017 - 15:39, said:

You've been playing warships against bots for 1,600 battles, which hardly makes you a long time consumer.  I guess having to play against actual humans feels like seal clubbing to you. 

Would bot clubbing be considered a form of seal clubbing?

Sure everyone wants to kick butt and win, but playing bots in ships game and planes game was boring after a while. Nowhere near as exciting as tanks.

But each to his own......

Beornotns #51 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20887 battles
  • [-SCA-] -SCA-

I was a 45% tomato for my first 8000 battles...  You just do it to get better and play with friends.  Until GETTING better is more about BEING better.  If the pace is too much for you, might I suggest World of Warships?

~B

track_fire #52 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2721 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostChalybos, on Nov 14 2017 - 17:35, said:

View Postda_Rock002, on Nov 14 2017 - 18:07, said:

Now there is a good idea.....

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Nov 14 2017 - 18:08, said:

Not a bad idea, but I would make a few tiny amendments

Apply to T-I to III

Let the stats continue in these tiers, but only until a certain number of battles have been completed. Once the player has completed 5k games or earned a T-IV vehicle they no longer change their stats when they play below T-IV. This will frustrate Seal Clubbers but permit new players who are doing what they can to see and keep their stats. Not everyone sucks as bad as I did when they start and those that do alright should be able to know how they are doing.

An elegant and simple solution. I'm with Deadly and rock. Excellent Chalybos!

LeaveIT2Beaver #53 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 03:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 28284 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Nov 13 2017 - 21:15, said:

Back in my day you had to go to a computer and manually type in "Youtube.~~~" to go watch videos online, not sit on your couch and press a magical button on your T.V. Remote... :sceptic:

:trollface:  Touche'

LeaveIT2Beaver #54 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 03:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 28284 battles
  • [BRIG] BRIG

View PostBeornotns, on Nov 14 2017 - 19:15, said:

I was a 45% tomato for my first 8000 battles...  You just do it to get better and play with friends.  Until GETTING better is more about BEING better.  If the pace is too much for you, might I suggest World of Warships?

~B

I was for my first 12,500 games or so - just ugly!  But it is coming up. OP just try to learn from the mistakes, and have fun no matter what

JRingo20 #55 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 03:42

Captain

• Players
  • 31294 battles

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Nov 13 2017 - 16:25, said:

Back in my day we walked 10 miles to a one room school house thru 5 foot snow drifts ....

Up hill...........................Both ways.........................................:sceptic:................:D

Heavylemon5454 #56 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 06:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 7651 battles
  • [P-W] P-W

Perhaps you need a quick "break." And/or some hype fuel. I've seen a lot of people take a break every now and then when things are too bad for them.

Here's my experience:

When I started, I was one of the ripest tomato to be plucked from the vine. I rushed the field of Campinovka (Malinovka) by driving backwards in my Renault. I fell into the water many times on Province in my T1E6, I tried to hide a Medium 1 in a bush meant for something the size of an ELC AMX. Every match, my death was due to a T-18 sitting halfway across the map. And, of course, the most infuriating death, my allies almost always revealed my location to our enemies whenever I was the last running tank on our team.

With all these failures, I left the game for a while (~4 months) b/c I thought I was horrible(which I was), and that this game was just not meant for me. 

After figuring out that the I was indeed horrible, I've contemplated on uninstalling WoT(after the 4 months since I've quit), until the magical world of Ranzar captivated me. This was my first hype fuel. I've rushed back to the game, eager to re-create the scenes from Ranzar. I was still horrible, but the "break" revitalized and increased my threshold for making mistakes and climbing the learning curve. After a while of having fun, I've unlocked the M3 Lee and suffered greatly(lets just say that newcomers could never be warned enough about the M3 Lee). So, I took yet another break.

After 1 month of a WoT break, a divine thing happened.

One day, after watching(and re-watching) a lot of Ranzar on Youtube, QB showed up on sidebar. Feeling kinda bored, I clicked on it, and got my super unleaded hype fuel. QB was great(its an opinion)- his videos taught me a log about the mechanics of the game, and the matches felt kinda like watching real sports.  Feeling pretty happy, I've pulled up WoT and started playing again. 

With the advice of QB, I've decided to find a comfortable tank of my level and stick with it.

And here I am now, a mere strawberry-tomato hybrid, but a comfortable and happy strawberry-tomato hybrid. :P

Oh, and if you could, make a friend(s) in WoT. If they're new(like you), you could both become aspiring battle buddies. If they're mid-caliber tankers, do a few training rounds with them; ask and answer questions. If they're experienced unicorns, ask them anything you need answers to. Not everyone is as toxic as *that* teammate. 

Now, I hope to see you on the battlefield. My Grosstraktor would like to hug you. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Heavylemon5454, Nov 15 2017 - 06:37.

SPACEDUDE71 #57 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 12:29

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12112 battles

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Nov 13 2017 - 22:30, said:

Having more than 1 account is not a EULA violation.

_GeorgePreddy

PREDY4

Isnt one or both of those your other accounts? And isnt one or both banned?

XTS_KingBeef007 #58 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 14:50

Private

• -Players-
  • 2648 battles
  • [VX9] VX9
Took me 2k games to somewhat figure out anything and 500 games later I'm still crap but do find the game a bit more enjoyable.

dunniteowl #59 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 15:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 18506 battles

View Poststrenfoo, on Nov 14 2017 - 17:49, said:

I get that lots of new people are turned off by the extremely steep learning curve this game has but consider the flip side.  That difficult learning curve is by far the biggest reason I've stuck around.  I liked that I was immediately thrown into the fire with seal clubbers and whatnot when I first started.  Instead of getting pissed and quitting, that motivated me to really figure out how this game works and how to improve at it.  I like that there is no skill based MM.  I like that I sometimes get matches where the odds are stacked against me and I'm fighting a bunch of unicums who are much better than me.  I much preferred the old MM because it made the games harder when the odds were against you and that drove me to try and figure out ways to outsmart the enemy.  All this drives me to keep improving and keeps me interested in the game.  It's what makes this a hobby and not just a way to waste time when I'm bored (that's what TV is for).

This game should be hard.  New players should have to work hard.  I want to have people on my team and playing against people who like that kind of challenge.  There are plenty of other online games out there if you want an easy experience.

I bet I'm not the only one who thinks this way.  In fact, I'd argue that most veteran players at least partially feel the same way.

^

/ | \   I think you may on to something.  This is pretty much me.

|

|

|

|

//|\\

///|\\\

\\\|///

|

the_Deadly_Bulb #60 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 19:28

Major

• Players
  • 18357 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Poststrenfoo, on Nov 14 2017 - 15:49, said:

There are basically 2 types of people in the world. Those that rise to a challenge and those that fold when confronted with one.

Its easy to see which team you're on. The one that won't fold. :great:

Nobody likes quitters.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users