Opinions on joining a clan.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Headroller #1 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:02

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 4305 battles
Pros and Cons of joining a clan? Do I have any tanks that can be used for clan stuff? I'd like to join a clan to learn from some guys that know how to play as to get better myself but I don't want to learn bad habits and such. I also have a few guys that I platoon with on the regular so it's not so much needing people to toon with more so the fact of doing clan things. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Desert_Faux #2 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:08

Major

• Players
  • 3506 battles
  • [-DTOM] -DTOM

Some clans do training, help you learn maps, give you tour of spots on maps where your tank is best suited. Also will have practice matches with each other to better themselves.

How ever like with most games... majority of clans don't do this. Majority clans a person thinks they'd make an awesome leader and get people to join their clan and not really contribute much to the betterment of each member.

If you can find a good one, I would highly suggest it. But shop around, most clans aren't that helpful. 

Roggg2 #3 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16985 battles
  • [H1VOC] H1VOC

My perspective:  Clans add a new level of interest to the game.  A headset with mic, and TS3 and/or discord client are a hard requirement.  If you're not willing or able to be on voice communications with your clan, there's not much point.  There are training clans, social clans, competitive clans etc...  You need to figure out what you want.  If you want to learn from your clan, you will want to make sure you are below average, or average at best within the clan you choose so that there's lots of people you can learn from.  

Most important thing is make sure the clan you pick is active.  If they cant muster 15 bodies in prime-time, they wont be running clan-wars.

Good luck.  It's worthwhile.  You'll meet some great people, and probably a few A-holes too.

Oh, and dont sweat the tanks.  Unless you expect to jump right in to tier 10 CW, you can grind out what you need.

Edited by Roggg2, Nov 14 2017 - 15:19.

MacDaddyMatty #4 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 17618 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

What are you looking to get out of  WoT?

Are you looking for certain training?

Some clans do training. Some never do.

Do you want to do Strongholds?

Some clans do SHs most nights. Some never do.

I'm fortunate because I like SHs and we do lots. Sometimes we have multiple teams running and sometimes we have to pull legionnaires from the friends list. Any clan member is encouraged to start up a SH at any time, and we also encourage anyone who wants to call to do so - the only way to get better as a caller is to call.

Do you want to do Clan Wars?

Some clans do CWs most nights. Some never do.

Some clans do Advances. Some never do.

I love advances and am fortunate that we do tehm Sat PM

Are you looking for platooning, help grinding, just want to hang out?

Everyone wants different things out of WoT. You have to find what you want, then find a clan that has that. Be careful as many clans will say "oh yeah, that's us" just to pad their numbers. Also, find out what you can offer a clan. They should be looking for same-minded individuals.

I hope this is helpful and also understand about clan-hopping.

Some clans frown on it, Personally we actually don't mind clan hopping as if we aren't a fit, then you should find a clan that is - no worries, just give it more than a few days.

Most clans will want you to have Team Speak.

Others use Discord.

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, Nov 14 2017 - 15:28.

Desert_Fox_1969 #5 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 15:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18971 battles
  • [TAC-D] TAC-D
There are also some Clans that provide bonuses like extra XP time, gold, free premium time. 

TheLoveHitman #6 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 16:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12088 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

Clans are great because you can meet more people to play with and learn from. The first clan I ever joined was a casual clan that only required a tier 6 with no stat requirement. I met a couple of players around the green/blue range and was able to learn a lot and grow. Even if you already have people to play with, it doesn't hurt to meet some other people with different play styles and ideas on how to play the game. 

If you are looking to get better, clans can be a good way to do that, but you have to be actively critiquing your own play and thinking to yourself if you played the game differently, would you have won/done better? Watching streamers is a great way to improve, just pay attention to how they play the map, flex around to deal damage without sacking their tank. Don't worry about picking up bad habits from players that aren't at a high level. If your platoon mate pokes a ridge and dies instantly, you'll know not to poke there. You're able to learn off of anyone technically, but when you're watching players that are worse than you you'll see those glaring mistakes that you don't make anymore. It's the same way that better players will see glaring mistakes in your play, etc.  

Clan activities are a good way to practice teamwork along with improving your own play. While in pubs it's different, it's still important to be able to play as a team with your team, players who sit in the back and deal damage to meaningless targets are just as useless as people who suicide into the battle. 

Tl;Dr: I recommend joining a clan, in my personal experience it helped me grow from a yellow player to where I am now. I can say with 100% certainty if I didn't join a clan I wouldn't have started to become a better player and probably would have quit the game as well. Give it a shot, if it isn't the thing for you you're able to leave them any time!

Ken_McGuire #7 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 16:27

Captain

• Players
  • 27088 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

View PostHeadroller, on Nov 14 2017 - 09:02, said:

Pros and Cons of joining a clan? Do I have any tanks that can be used for clan stuff? I'd like to join a clan to learn from some guys that know how to play as to get better myself but I don't want to learn bad habits and such. I also have a few guys that I platoon with on the regular so it's not so much needing people to toon with more so the fact of doing clan things. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Clans can do many things. Some are social watering holes for people to talk to each other while playing a game. Others offer training to make you better. And others do lots of organized play - tournaments, strongholds, advances, clan wars, etc. - letting you play the game with a team that is working as a team instead of random chaos. In general, I think it is better to face this game with others instead of just alone, so would recommend shopping for a clan that fits you.

Do you have the tanks? Looking you up quickly at https://clantools.us...s?id=1000269025 tells me that you have the IS-3, and are above average in it - way better than I am. The IS-3 is one of the few tech tree tanks used in tier 8 clan "things". But really, what tanks you "need" depends on the clan and what it does. You don't have any of the most common tier 6 stronghold tanks, but grinding to the tier 6 they want would not take long.

Of course, a top clan wars clan would want more tier 10's - and doing better in them. And an active tournament group would also probably want you to have more styles of tanks at multiple tiers. But you certainly have the tanks for a training clan, and with your IS-3 and a quick grind to a 6 of choice (probably Cromwell, but ask your leaders) could contribute to a group that does stronghold skirmishes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users