How to use HE to damage a high tier tank?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

elvisTank2 #1 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 21 battles

I have an IS. Sometimes with HE I damages high tier HT tanks and sometimes not. When not, even I aim the observation tower it doesn't do any damage. Sometimes it does by aiming lateral sides. I am so confused. 

How do I use HE properly to do damage to high tier tanks?

Hellsfog #2 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 31167 battles
  • [RIP-U] RIP-U

Here is a useful guide to shell types, including HE: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/273627-lerts-guides-to-shells-shell-types-and-shell-mechanics/

I assume your question is for when you absolutely have to shoot at super heavies from the front because in any other scenario, you should probably be doing something else.  For super heavies try aim at the turret ring or just under the gun with the idea being your round will splash through the weak hull deck. 

Edited by Hellsfog, Nov 14 2017 - 17:41.

mattwong #3 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 17:40

Major

• Players
  • 30341 battles

View PostelvisTank2, on Nov 14 2017 - 11:17, said:

I have an IS. Sometimes with HE I damages high tier HT tanks and sometimes not. When not, even I aim the observation tower it doesn't do any damage. Sometimes it does by aiming lateral sides. I am so confused. 

When you're driving an IS, there are certain high-tier tanks that you're almost helpless against, such as the VK100.01P, the Mauschen, the Defender, or many other tanks when they're hull-down.  In such cases, you might want to consider trying to rush his side.  Sure, you might take a hit, but honestly, it's kind of pathetic to see tanks with low-pen guns trying to poke and trade damage with strong hull-down tanks.  Either go somewhere else and try to fight weaker meds, or try to go down in a blaze of glory against the heavies.  But poking and trading damage against heavies with an inaccurate low-pen gun is a recipe for a zero-damage game.

Unicum players don't believe in suicide rushing and I understand their reasoning why, but (especially for people of middling skill) sometimes the suicide rush can be more effective than anything else you might try, because on many enemies, shooting him in the side is very easy, whereas penetrating his armour from the front is nearly impossible.  The trick is this:

1) You must actually do damage before you fall.  The suicide rush which does no damage is pointless.  This is what red-stat rushers don't understand.

2) You want to pull their defenders out of position and/or force them to focus on you.  In many cases, that is the most important outcome of the suicide rush, because it allows the teammates behind you to be much more effective.  In many cases, simply getting an enemy to turn his turret can make him far weaker against your teammates.

If a tier 7 heavy falls but causes the death of a tier 9 heavy, that was a pretty good trade, as far as the team's win chance is concerned.

However, if you insist on attempting to poke out and damage these tanks from the front with a low-pen low-accuracy slow-aiming gun firing HE shells, aim for flat angled armour.  Usually, when armour is highly angled, it's strong because of the angle, not because of the thickness, and thickness is what controls the damage an HE shell will do.

nicodeimous #4 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 18:26

Major

• Players
  • 29937 battles
  • [7-BDR] 7-BDR

Aim your he shots for hatches or lower right or left hull etc [frontally] - sides aim for mid lower hull if not a Russian tank [fuel tanks / ammo] or rear sides otherwise [engine / ammo / fuel].... the idea is to try and get the he "splat" to hit places with less armor on them to maximize its alpha potential.  Sprocket hits for instance can sometimes net good damage, turret ring hits [between turret and hull] and often hatch hits can net some damage.  If all else fails plant one in the tracks and retreat.  Yolo isn't really a good option if your that out classed already ... you may get off one god shot - but more than likely you'll get owned breaking position in the first stage of our charge.

The IS is a good tank - one of the better tier 7's really if played to it strengths. 

Edited by nicodeimous, Nov 14 2017 - 18:27.

golruul #5 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 18:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20000 battles

With HE, you still need to aim at the weak spots.  Avoid shooting their thickest armor and avoid "spaced" armor like tracks.

A good option, if you can do it, is to shoot the ground underneath the mid-section of the tank -- bottom armor is usually the weakest.

Sully83 #6 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 26857 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

I love when the shot comes around, not often, but a super heavy or higher tier coming frontal, shoot the ground directly below their tank, splash under belly, works wonders, or them sexy a$$ shots are to die for, but i mostly save my HE in heavies for them nice light tanks or open hull tanks, Skorp G love HE :popcorn: them Emils if you ever get one hull down or hill creeping in front of you, hit their ears with HE and will often splash the back of their turret sometimes helps as well

Edited by Sully83, Nov 14 2017 - 19:13.

Plays_With_Matches #7 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:42

Major

• Players
  • 25796 battles
  • [GUNS6] GUNS6

So, how do you have an IS with only 21 battles?

_Tsavo #8 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 19:47

Major

• Players
  • 37882 battles

Don't rely on HE, use AP first or whatever the gold rounds are for that tank (APCR or HEAT, I guess)

a few HE isn't a bad idea, but nothing but HE is a bad idea

Xeraux #9 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 20:07

Major

• Players
  • 18947 battles

View Post_Tsavo, on Nov 14 2017 - 10:47, said:

Don't rely on HE, use AP first or whatever the gold rounds are for that tank (APCR or HEAT, I guess)

a few HE isn't a bad idea, but nothing but HE is a bad idea

Oh my god, this ^^^

Don't just fire HE, please!

flowerpower210 #10 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 20:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19196 battles
  • [TUF] TUF

1. As a general rule, keep HE shells for unarmored targets. - Light tanks, artillery, poorly armored medium tanks & the rear of certain tanks.

2. Realise that HE is very unreliable. As such, use it only when there is a good chance of success. Otherwise, it is not worth it.

3. Stick to AP shells. They should be good enough to penetrate weak spots of equally tiered tanks.

4. Use APCR/HEAT if you cannot reliably penetrate their weak spots. In most cases your adversaries will be of higher tier. It helps to even the playing field. *** Remember that HEAT shells are often absorbed by tracks. They should be used on bare armor.

5. Don't worry about credit making. If you choose, aim and take your shots carefully you  shouldn't have problems. Basically, don't shoot at what you can't penetrate & find someone else to shoot.

Awestryker #11 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 20:12

Major

• Players
  • 23377 battles

I often carry a handful of HE for tracking or resets...only use HE for those reasons unless your in a tank with HUGE HE rounds (like a Type 5, etc.)...

If it was me, and I was low tier, I would stay behind or near friendly higher tiers, and try to use AP or APCR first, but if I cannot pen then I may switch to HE to track enemy heavies/others...You get a hunk of assistance damage if you track someone...

If nothing is working then go look to fight someone your own tier as there will always be 15 or 10 or 7 enemy at your same tier...

Another piece of advice people will hate me for saying...because so many think XVM is toxic...

Get XVM mod, use it to tell who is most likely the better players on your team in the same tier as you or a higher tier as you, and same class, and then follow them, support them...learn from where they go on the map and who they target...just DO NOT get directly behind them and block them from moving...This is a very good use for XVM...

Edited by Awestryker, Nov 14 2017 - 20:20.

redjkent #12 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 21:04

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 64823 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB

View Postmattwong, on Nov 14 2017 - 16:40, said:

When you're driving an IS, there are certain high-tier tanks that you're almost helpless against, such as the VK100.01P, the Mauschen, the Defender, or many other tanks when they're hull-down.  In such cases, you might want to consider trying to rush his side.  Sure, you might take a hit, but honestly, it's kind of pathetic to see tanks with low-pen guns trying to poke and trade damage with strong hull-down tanks.  Either go somewhere else and try to fight weaker meds, or try to go down in a blaze of glory against the heavies.  But poking and trading damage against heavies with an inaccurate low-pen gun is a recipe for a zero-damage game.

Unicum players don't believe in suicide rushing and I understand their reasoning why, but (especially for people of middling skill) sometimes the suicide rush can be more effective than anything else you might try, because on many enemies, shooting him in the side is very easy, whereas penetrating his armour from the front is nearly impossible.  The trick is this:

1) You must actually do damage before you fall.  The suicide rush which does no damage is pointless.  This is what red-stat rushers don't understand.

2) You want to pull their defenders out of position and/or force them to focus on you.  In many cases, that is the most important outcome of the suicide rush, because it allows the teammates behind you to be much more effective.  In many cases, simply getting an enemy to turn his turret can make him far weaker against your teammates.

If a tier 7 heavy falls but causes the death of a tier 9 heavy, that was a pretty good trade, as far as the team's win chance is concerned.

However, if you insist on attempting to poke out and damage these tanks from the front with a low-pen low-accuracy slow-aiming gun firing HE shells, aim for flat angled armour.  Usually, when armour is highly angled, it's strong because of the angle, not because of the thickness, and thickness is what controls the damage an HE shell will do.

those tanks have weak lower plates i pin them with my is2 so i know the is can pin even better with its top gun use premium amo everyone uses it no reason not too

Komitadjie #13 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 21:10

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1226 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR
HE is for either roflblasting something thin-skinned, or for when you have to do some, ANY damage (a cap reset).  Almost without fail you'll be better off with standard AP or premium rounds. Or, if you have any choice at all, back off.

Especially so if in backing away, you can lead them into the fire of your TDs.

Worland #14 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 22:54

Major

• Players
  • 16556 battles
If my standard or gold ammo won't pen, I'll resort to HE for the sheer fun of keeping the gun barking. I aim at hatches, at the tracks underneath the tank, turret ring, roof armor, or just their gun. Nothing like knocking out their gun every time they poke out.

strenfoo #15 Posted Nov 14 2017 - 23:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11862 battles
  • [C_NTS] C_NTS
HE is generally only for lightly armored tanks, when you're desperate to get a cap reset, when your enemy is very low on HP and you're really sure you'll do damage (contrary to popular belief, HE doesn't always do damage), or when you're using a derp gun.  In just about all other situations, you're better off using AP/APCR/HEAT/etc.  I hardly ever use HE and I never use it to smack a higher tier heavy in the face with a lower tiered heavy (I'll go pick on someone my own size instead, try to flank, etc).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users