Jump to content


Maps that make me want to drive off a cliff fast


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Doomslinger__ #1 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:48

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 21 battles
  • 238
  • Member since:
    10-09-2017

When I see these battles come up, I just want to exit the battle asap:

Paris

Overlord

Pilsen

 

These were the three newer maps they have added and I hate them. Paris is crap no matter where you play. The field is a camp fest where the first person to move out of cover is obliterated. The other side is a corridor nightmare. Overlord is an entire map with brawling bowls all over it and that long death trap beach that seem to attract newer players in top tier heavy tanks. Pilsen could be a good map but is just so small. If you don't get off the spawn fast, you get spotted right away because of how small the map is. It would be a good low tier map where tanks have crappy view ranges but for tier 7 and up when view ranges get better, why would they design such small maps? Makes no sense.



Buttknuckle #2 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:52

    Captain

  • Players
  • 40604 battles
  • 1,618
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013
Yeah, whenever I see a post with someone complaining about not getting new maps I am reminded how much I don't really care for any of the last 5 or so new maps they've introduced (your list plus Khrakov and Stalingrad), and think "be carful what you wish for."

__Arc__ #3 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:58

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 27205 battles
  • 225
  • [191] 191
  • Member since:
    03-09-2014

I hate Paris. I agree with that. As much as I like map variety, and hate when they remove maps... I wouldn't be upset at all to see it gone.

 

Overlord isn't my favorite map, but it's not as bad as some people make it out. There are bushes you can use in the mid and East with lights/meds/TDs. There are plenty of places for heavies, but they have to play carefully, because they have to push in front of TDs in a lot of places. The beach is usually useless, but sometimes people catch your TDs and arty off guard by pushing it. It seems like there are places for all classes. I don't understand the deep contempt people seem to have for it .

 

Pilsen is actually a good map, in my opinion. You have a heavy side, which is viable to push, a medium side, which is also viable, and the mid for people that like to camp (for whatever reason), so again, all vehicle classes can get to work. You have your choice of which side to play, and you're not immediately screwed if your team decides to lemming. I, personally, really like Pilsen.



Razorkitten #4 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 01:59

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 44054 battles
  • 33
  • [SQRL] SQRL
  • Member since:
    07-15-2012

It appears that when the dust settles you'll see a lot more big maps. ​​I say this because I've been watching some console play via twitch recently and see more big map play. I see a convergence coming, maybe....



galspanic #5 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 02:06

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 23679 battles
  • 3,436
  • [GUNS3] GUNS3
  • Member since:
    01-06-2016
Overlord really depends on whether or not our team goes Beach, but if they refrain from throwing the game away it’s a fine map.  No list of trash can be complete without “spot the team in spawn from spawn” Ensk.  That map needs to go away or the Widepark treatment and cap it at tier 6... or 4.

__Arc__ #6 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 02:10

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 27205 battles
  • 225
  • [191] 191
  • Member since:
    03-09-2014

View Postgalspanic, on Nov 14 2017 - 20:06, said:

Overlord really depends on whether or not our team goes Beach, but if they refrain from throwing the game away it’s a fine map.  No list of trash can be complete without “spot the team in spawn from spawn” Ensk.  That map needs to go away or the Widepark treatment and cap it at tier 6... or 4.

 

Ensk should be capped at 6 or 7, and Mines should be capped at 7 or 8 IMO. Those are two maps that are fun in lower tiers, but hellish in tier 9-10 games.

jdubthegreat #7 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 02:16

    Major

  • Players
  • 38052 battles
  • 2,068
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
  • Member since:
    05-30-2011

View PostRazorkitten, on Nov 14 2017 - 16:59, said:

It appears that when the dust settles you'll see a lot more big maps. ​​I say this because I've been watching some console play via twitch recently and see more big map play. I see a convergence coming, maybe....

 

Yeah, maybe after HD maps are released... by that time we'll be playing virtual reality games in our own heads.

xSzikll #8 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 05:57

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 7714 battles
  • 234
  • [27-F] 27-F
  • Member since:
    12-23-2016

View Post__Arc__, on Nov 14 2017 - 20:10, said:

 

Ensk should be capped at 6 or 7, and Mines should be capped at 7 or 8 IMO. Those are two maps that are fun in lower tiers, but hellish in tier 9-10 games.

 

Mines should be capped at tier 3 and remove the encounter game mode for that map*



Gothraul #9 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 06:07

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 1526 battles
  • 3,085
  • Member since:
    11-17-2014

I don't like most of the maps especially when there is sky cancer or completely bottom tier but Lake is the one map where driving off into the middle of the lake or going valley to suicide feels like the better play. Not much option wise no matter what class one is playing and there is really no room to move around let alone flank. Paris sucks but at least it has a corner /roles eyes but the Russian Detroit maps I truly despise as they do not offer any real value for heavies and to get stuck on one of these maps with a paper tank you are pretty Edited without a paddle up crap creek.

 

Please for the love of God just rework Lakeville already!



TankFullOfBourbon #10 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 08:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 21790 battles
  • 4,651
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013
Which maps do you like?

typeviic #11 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 15:57

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 33319 battles
  • 164
  • [INFEL] INFEL
  • Member since:
    07-04-2011
Yes, Kharkov, Stalingrad, and Pilson. All universally hated. Notice that all the ones they got rid of, nobody had a problem with.............

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #12 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 16:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 45099 battles
  • 5,323
  • Member since:
    07-25-2012

IMHO, (apart from the standard choke-points, encouraging premium ammo spam) it isn't necessarily the maps, in and of themselves, it is the way that players engage on the maps.



ThePigSheFlies #13 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 16:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 59076 battles
  • 14,418
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View PostF0R_M07H3R_RU5514, on Nov 15 2017 - 10:13, said:

IMHO, (apart from the standard choke-points, encouraging premium ammo spam) it isn't necessarily the maps, in and of themselves, it is the way that players engage on the maps.

 

seeing as we cant' drive through buildings, and people whine about boosting over terrain, the players are sorta forced to engage in certain ways on the maps...

 

the huge uptick in work travel I have had since July came at a perfect time with respect to my waning interest in tanks, such was the impact made by tens of thousands of battles on the same, old, tired, busted, tiny, funnel and city maps...



sleeper_agent #14 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 16:52

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 12433 battles
  • 41
  • Member since:
    06-19-2013
Sand River when set as an assault team makes me want to exit fast. Its not fun.

ThePigSheFlies #15 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 17:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 59076 battles
  • 14,418
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View Postsleeper_agent, on Nov 15 2017 - 10:52, said:

Sand River when set as an assault team makes me want to exit fast. Its not fun.

 

while I have that mode turned off, I'd much rather have the slow play, pick apart the enemy game play as an occasion over the 90 second hurr durr brawl fests that are the majority of the maps and matches...

 

in fact, I'd rather have 100 draws on the old Komarin, than win 200 epic battles on Paris, that's how much I despise Paris and maps similar to it...



Red_Ensign #16 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 18:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 6610 battles
  • 5,790
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    02-14-2013

I think removing any map was and is a mistake, unless there are bad technical glitches, etc.  not removing any but adding more, you would still see less of the ones you don't like.  balance isn't all that important because half the time you'd get the 'good' side, and whether you get the good or bad side is like an xvm win prediction anyway - it's not true if you can make it not true.  variety keeps things fresh, and people yelling for removal of things are very short-sighted.  I'd rather play on 20 mediocre uneven maps that are different than 3 that are scientifically balanced and mind-numbingly boring.

 

there's some battle modes I really don't like, but I keep them enabled because it's something different.  same reasons.



StiffWind #17 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 20:21

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 9574 battles
  • 466
  • Member since:
    03-15-2017

View PostDoomslinger__, on Nov 15 2017 - 01:48, said:

When I see these battles come up, I just want to exit the battle asap:

Paris

Overlord

Pilsen

 

These were the three newer maps they have added and I hate them. Paris is crap no matter where you play. The field is a camp fest where the first person to move out of cover is obliterated. The other side is a corridor nightmare. Overlord is an entire map with brawling bowls all over it and that long death trap beach that seem to attract newer players in top tier heavy tanks. Pilsen could be a good map but is just so small. If you don't get off the spawn fast, you get spotted right away because of how small the map is. It would be a good low tier map where tanks have crappy view ranges but for tier 7 and up when view ranges get better, why would they design such small maps? Makes no sense.

 

I like Paris because it's different...I know most folks hate it.  Overlord and Pilsen would both be good maps if they were a little bigger...just stay off the beach on Overlord, or a camping TD will nail you from the cliffs.  Speaking of cliffs, if you have low HP it can be fun to dive onto somebody and take them out...rather than cower somewhere in the back.  Make your death meaningful!  :)

 



JOSEPHINEISH #18 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 20:33

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 19156 battles
  • 941
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM
  • Member since:
    01-09-2016
Paris and Pilsen was designed by a lazy [edited].

BillT #19 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 20:39

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 24432 battles
  • 1,877
  • [FADES] FADES
  • Member since:
    08-13-2010

View PostRed_Ensign, on Nov 15 2017 - 12:00, said:

I think removing any map was and is a mistake, .

 

OK.  Which maps would it be the smallest mistakes to remove?  :-)

 

 



strYker555 #20 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 20:45

    Captain

  • Players
  • 32764 battles
  • 1,855
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011
Windstorm, Stalingrad, Pilsen, and Overlord are some of the worst maps in my opinion. Overlord in particular galls me because its not a city brawl map, but its layout is just horrible. As for Paris and Kharkov, I know many players hate them, but for some reason I at least can play those maps.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users