• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TwinTanker #1 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 04:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13634 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

Hello there!

This is a part of a guide series I started with the release of my newbie guide to WoT. I call this my Getting out of ELO-Hell series. These guides attempt to teach players how to not, well, suck. In this piece, I will explain different round types in WoT, how they work, and when to use them.

Big thanks to Slntreaper for helping me provide images.

Shell Guide

Terminology:

Alpha: How much damage a gun deals.

Angling: Placing your tank at an angle, to maximize your effective armor. A sloped plate will be more effective since a shell has more thickness to penetrate.

Autobounce: When a plate of armor is angled at a 70 degree angle (85 degrees for HEAT) or more, any shell that hits will automatically bounce, or fail to penetrate.

Bounce: When a shell hits a plate of armor thicker than its penetration value (+/-25% or somewhere in the middle, to that value, depending on RNG), it will bounce. AP, APCR, and HEAT all bounce when they fail to penetrate. Do note that it is possible for the shell to bounce off to hit and possibly penetrate another vehicle.

Damage: The amount of damage a shell will deal when it hits. A penetrating hit takes the average damage, applies that to a RNG machine which does a +/-25% calculation, or somewhere in the middle.. This means a gun with 100 damage can deal from 75 damage to 125 damage in one hit.

Penetration: The amount of armor thickness a shell will penetrate. A penetration is calculated by taking the average penetration and applying that to a RNG machine which does a +/-25% calculation. The shell then penetrates, or it fails to penetrate.

Random Number Generator (RNG): When a shot is fired, RNG decides where it will land, within the reticle, how much penetration it will have (this can be estimated by taking the average penetration and applying up to a +/-25% bonus or penalty), and how much damage it will deal. RNG is the literal god of this game; it decides who lives and dies on a whim. RNG cannot be controlled, but it can be accounted for.

Normalization: AP and APCR rounds gain normalization, where when the round impacts armor at an angle, the shell pretends it is less angled than it really is. Example: AP gains 5 degrees of normalization, firing it at a plate at 15 degrees will result in the shell pretending there is only 10 degrees of angling there.

Overmatch: When a round is 2x larger than a piece of armor that it will hit, the round will gain a significant penetration bonus. However, it will still ricochet if the target is at an autobounce angle. Example: 150mm cannon firing at a plate 75mm thick will gain a penetration bonus, but will still ricochet if the angle is high enough. When a round is 3x larger than the plate it hits, it will autopenetrate, no matter how well angled the armor is. Example: 150mm cannon firing at a plate 50mm thick will always penetrate.

Spaced Armor: This is armor with another layer of armor on top of it. It is more effective than just regular armor, and can effectively stop HE/HEAT rounds in their tracks.

When to use what round?

There are 5 different types of shells in WoT, but the most you'll ever see is 3 on one gun. The different shell types are:

1) Armor Piercing (AP): These are the basic shell. They have good penetration and are well rounded. AP should be your go to shell for guns, unless you are using a howitzer (aka "derp gun" ). This does overmatch armor. Normalization of 5 degrees is taken into account. AP is affected by:

a) Shell size: How big is the round? A large gun firing AP will do better, since the weight of the round will be able to punch through enemy vehicles better than a smaller shell, which will not have as much weight, and, therefore, less momentum.

b) Shell velocity: Does this shell move quickly when leaving the barrel? Does it lose velocity quickly? These factors will affect your round too. A high velocity round will be able to punch through armor better than a lower velocity one. If it loses velocity quickly, the shell will have good penetration at close ranges, but will quickly become ineffective at longer ones. A lower velocity will also make it harder to hit moving targets.

c) RNG(esus): How kind is RNG feeling today? Have you prayed to RNG enough? What about your daily sacrifice of credits? RNG cannot be controlled, but you can account for it, by expecting some bounces if the penetration indicator is orange. AP is affected by RNG to its penetration and damage.

2) Armor Piercing Composite Rigid (APCR): APCR is an upgraded AP round. It has increased penetration, velocity, and costs much more. Certain vehicles also use it as their standard round, in which case you can treat it like AP with higher velocity. APCR is based on velocity, rather than weight, for penetration. It is a premium round on most tanks, meaning that you can acquire it for extra credits. Using full APCR will almost always result in you losing credits. APCR does overmatch armor. Normalization is 2 degrees. APCR is affected by:

a) Shell size: How big is the round? A larger gun firing APCR will penetrate more armor, just like AP.

b) Shell velocity: How fast does the round leave the barrel at? This affects the chance to penetrate way more than the size and weight of the round.

c) RNG: How kind is RNG feeling today? Have you given RNG your firstborn child? RNG can affect this round a lot, and it does fail sometimes against spaced armor or tracks. APCR is affected by +/-25% RNG to its penetration and damage.

3) High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT): HEAT is an alternative premium round, available when APCR is not available as a premium round. It has extremely high penetration, often higher than APCR on similar guns of the same tier. HEAT can bounce, and does not explode when it does. HEAT is very expensive, about as much as premium APCR. The IKV 103 uses HEAT as it's standard round, and the HEAT does not cost high amounts due to this. HEAT has a poorer velocity and explodes on tracks and spaced armor. These are highly effective counters to HEAT. HEAT does not overmatch, nor normalize. It does have a higher autobounce, at 85 degrees instead of the usual 70. HEAT is affected by:

a) HEAT Effectiveness: This round is literally affected by only the penetration power and whether it hits spaced armor/tracks or not.

b) RNG: Well, you can get RNG'd into bouncing from a lack of penetration. HEAT is affected by RNG to its penetration and damage.

4) High Explosive (HE): This round explodes on impact, dealing damage in a small area of effect, scaling up with gun size. For example, HE on a 37mm gun will not splash over to hit nearby tanks, but 240mm HE will hit multiple tanks for a decent amount of damage if they are close enough. It also sometimes deals no damage, from hitting spaced armor to simply not enough splash to go past the armor. HE does not overmatch, normalize, or even penetrate most of the time. HE is best used on guns with a very large, fat, short length barrel. These are known as howitzers or "derp guns". On these guns, it is more effective than AP since the AP is often low penetration and the gun is too inaccurate to aim for weakspots. HE is affected by:

a) Raw Explosive Power: How big is your HE round? A Cromwell 75mm HE round will definitely be worse than a KV-2 152mm HE round. Even if the HE does not pen, it can sometimes still deal damage through splashing through the armor. Really, really big HE rounds can even hit multiple tanks with the splash radius.

b) RNG: PRAISE RNG! Hope for the best, since your HE round is affected by RNG to its penetration and damage.

5) HEP/HESH: These are HE round with extra penetration. That's it. They are literally HE rounds with higher penetration, and no drawbacks, unless you are using the premium HESH on the tier X British tank destroyers. In that case, HESH is premium, which means it will cost you a pretty penny to fire this round.

A maximum of 3 round choices are available to you on a given gun. Howitzers often only have 2 types, HE and HEAT. Example: 105mm on M4 Sherman has HE and HEAT as the only 2 rounds you may use. Regular guns will have a combination of AP, APCR, HEAT, HE, and HEP/HESH. Example: T-34 has AP, APCR, and HE.

Aiming

Aiming Reticle

First things first: Click on Settings, then go to Reticle. Click on the gun marker section, and choose an icon of your choosing WITH THE WORDS "(with armor penetration indicator)". This will allow you to see your chance to penetrate. The indicator will take into account sloped armor. There are 3 colors:

1) Green: If it is green, your chance to penetrate is very good, around the 80%+ range. This means you will almost always penetrate the armor.

2) Orange: If the indicator is orange, that means the chance to penetrate is in the 40-70% range. This means you will penetrate sometimes, but not always.

3) Red: <40% chance to penetrate the armor you are pointing your gun at. Ignore for HE rounds, since they will still do damage even when they fail to penetrate. Don't bother shooting at this part of the target if it has a red indicator.

Next, you will see a circle around your reticle you have chosen. This is the aiming circle. This allows you to see where your shot will land. Your shot will land somewhere in the middle of this.

The green number to the left is the reload. The white number to the right is the magnification. The number on the bottom of the dot is the number of shells of that type you have left.

The reticle will basically show you where you will land. I fired 5 rounds as an E-50M at the same spot and looked at the results. They were all aimed for the headlight. One even went low and penetrated the Defender's lower frontal plate. Another two ricocheted off and hit the turret before continuing on their way.

Gun Statistics

Hard Stats

Hard stats are numbers that are not able to be changed. These are things like penetration, damage, or gun caliber.

Soft Stats

Soft stats are basically numbers that can be changed. These are things like aim time, reload time, accuracy, and more.

Accuracy: A statistic that says the deviation from the center of a target in meters. A gun with an accuracy of 0.3m will usually miss the target by 0.3m or less at 100m away. At 200m away, the gun will miss by 0.6m or less. This can be applied to every distance in the game.

Aimtime: The time it takes for 60% of aim circle to settle. An aimtime of 2.1 seconds is how long it takes for the aiming circle to settle 60% of the way. It will take 3.5 seconds to settle the aiming circle completely.

Relevant math for anyone who cares to check my work:

2.1     60      cross                    divide                        simplify

---- = -----        -->     210 = 60x   -->   210/60 = 60x/60 -->    3.5 = x

x      100   multiply

Reload: How long it takes for your gun to reload. The green number on the side of the reticle is your reload in seconds. A gun's reload is determined by how effective your crew is, but has a set value that it deviates from.

Dispersion on the move: This is a hidden stat, accessible at Tanks.gg. This basically is how accurate you will be while moving.

Gun Types

It may seem odd that I have a section for each gun type, but I feel as if this will help players understand which guns do what and what rounds to use on each.

From least accurate to most accurate, here we go!

Howitzer (Derp gun): A very fun gun to use, although not for the enemy. Howitzers are defined as guns with very poor accuracy, usually in the 0.50+ (m) area. They also are stubby and have larger rounds than other tanks at their tier. They are not going to always hit the target, let alone weakspots. Users of this gun type should solely fire HE, with maybe a little bit of premium rounds at close range, as AP penetration is often poor. Remember, this gun does well against all targets, and try to aim for low thickness high slope targets; HE will splash right through those! Finally, howitzers also have the distinction of almost always breaking at least 2 modules if they hit.

Brawler gun: These are guns with the 0.43 - 0.49 accuracy range. They miss at longer ranges, but they are very effective at close ranges, sporting some of the highest alpha damages and are quicker firing than, say, the orbital nuke type. They are effective at brawling ranges (<100m) and are good enough to hit most weakspots there. They fire AP and APCR/HEAT usually.

Autoloader: Autoloaders are controversial. They vary a lot, having usually good enough accuracy and very strong burst damage. Autoloaders act like revolvers, allowing you to fire many quick shots before reloading for a long time. Use AP/APCR/HEAT on these.

"Regular" guns: They are middle of the road penetration, accuracy, and aimtime. Fire AP/APCR/HEAT on these, use the good DPM and aim for weakspots. Generally in the 0.40 - 0.32 accuracy range.

Sniper guns: These are <0.31 accuracy guns. They are accurate, supposedly, and can supposedly hit targets from long range, even weakspots. The tanks carrying these guns are dedicated snipers. There are two main types: the DPM sniper and the orbital nuke. DPM snipers fire quickly and rely on DPM to deal damage that stacks up. Orbital nukes are literal nukes, in the >750 alpha range in the higher tiers. They hit hard once and then melt away only to fire from another angle. Use these as opportunistic guns, meant to take advantage of a moment's weakness.

Thanks for reading my guide! Good luck on the battlefield!

Edited by TwinTanker, Nov 15 2017 - 06:03.

Riptide109 #2 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 04:34

Major

• Players
  • 10353 battles

TL;DR just press 2 key

Seriously though, nice guide.

TwinTanker #3 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 04:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13634 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostRiptide109, on Nov 14 2017 - 19:34, said:

TL;DR just press 2 key

Seriously though, nice guide.

2 key to win games!

HowitzerBlitzer #4 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 05:17

Major

• Players
  • 14868 battles
And what makes this different from the hundreds of similar guides out there already?

TwinTanker #5 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 05:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13634 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostHowitzerBlitzer, on Nov 14 2017 - 20:17, said:

And what makes this different from the hundreds of similar guides out there already?

It really doesn't. I mean I guess you could make the argument that I am a much worse player, and therefore understand how to cater to players of similar or worse caliber, but that's about it. Also, it is up to date.

Honestly, you don't have to read this or comment on it; I'm not forcing you to. But since you have, here's my explanation for how it's unique.

Wait a second...

I saw you in a game a couple days ago; you said "glhf" and I replied "u2", and then you proceeded to rage at me and how I should have "Good luck, have fail."

Dirizon #6 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 05:52

Major

• Players
  • 26145 battles

Do not thinkfor a second,  that HE will Always cause damage done. It will not. Sometimes it does a fat O.

This does not mean bounce, as bounce / ricochet  are different mechanic than 'we didn't penetrate'  /  'that one didn't go through'

You also forgot HEAT does not follow ordinary auto bounce rules, but instead continues penetration to 85' met surfaces

also keep in mind APCR doesn't lose velocity and penetration quicker than AP. Large caliber doesn't lose more than smaller caliber quicker. These are misconceptions and rumours. WG WoT losses on velocity and penetrative ability are randomly decided and are arbitrary balancing things. Not based on shell type or caliber.

lE:  Matilda loses penetration and velocity slowly, despite only a 4cm gun bore.  KV2 15.2cm AP loses penetrative ability and shell flight quickly, despite large bore. French SA 1Ocm gun, although high Pen and high velocity droops and loses ability quickly over distance. Directly comparable, the China 62T 1Ocm has lower base figures,  but maintains velocity and penetration better over distance. Cent l / FV(P), another example, the 2Opdr maintains velocity and pen very well over distance, despite only 8.3cm bore. 

TwinTanker #7 Posted Nov 15 2017 - 06:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13634 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

View PostDirizon, on Nov 14 2017 - 20:52, said:

Do not thinkfor a second,  that HE will Always cause damage done. It will not. Sometimes it does a fat O.

This does not mean bounce, as bounce / ricochet  are different mechanic than 'we didn't penetrate'  /  'that one didn't go through'

You also forgot HEAT does not follow ordinary auto bounce rules, but instead continues penetration to 85' met surfaces

also keep in mind APCR doesn't lose velocity and penetration quicker than AP. Large caliber doesn't lose more than smaller caliber quicker. These are misconceptions and rumours. WG WoT losses on velocity and penetrative ability are randomly decided and are arbitrary balancing things. Not based on shell type or caliber.

lE:  Matilda loses penetration and velocity slowly, despite only a 4cm gun bore.  KV2 15.2cm AP loses penetrative ability and shell flight quickly, despite large bore. French SA 1Ocm gun, although high Pen and high velocity droops and loses ability quickly over distance. Directly comparable, the China 62T 1Ocm has lower base figures,  but maintains velocity and penetration better over distance. Cent l / FV(P), another example, the 2Opdr maintains velocity and pen very well over distance, despite only 8.3cm bore. 

Ah thanks for some needed info, I'll add it! 

To answer HEAT: I did put that under the autobounce rules, although hindsight is 20/20 and I definitely should have put it under the HEAT rules also. I'll do that now.

Thanks for the criticism and the information! I appreciate these a lot, since I'm very new to this.

Also tagged with guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users