Let us make maps

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Christojojo #1 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 01:56

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 30776 battles
  • [RTR] RTR
Please release a map maker kit and let us make maps. Some games that are long in the tooth survived by letting their gamers design and make maps. You could put them on a vote type server (instead of reporting players you vote on the maps) The ones that do well could be put in rotation.

JakeTheMystic #2 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 02:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19220 battles
  • [UQ] UQ

I would rather leave map making to the professionals. 

Besides, they could just bring back the old maps, rework them to HD, slap in some invisible walls to prevent climbing and call it good.

Christojojo #3 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 02:09

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 30776 battles
  • [RTR] RTR

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Nov 26 2017 - 20:01, said:

I would rather leave map making to the professionals. 

Besides, they could just bring back the old maps, rework them to HD, slap in some invisible walls to prevent climbing and call it good.

I would love to have every map in the rotation. But lets face it. WOT is dying almost on the dead side. IF they want to milk this cash cow longer they need to let someone make maps since they have other cash cows to milk for now. They really should be working on a WOT 2.0 since they have not had the guts to say this thing is even beyond beta 9.20.99999 and counting. LMOA. As for you deciding not to play on a player map map, that's cool no one said to force someone to try them out.

DOAmaker #4 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 02:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16817 battles
  • [TCH] TCH
They need to make the maps larger and stop with forcing players into A B or C fighting areas and allow for more dynamic game play.  If the maps flowed like real terrain then lights, mediums, heavies, and tank destroyers could all actually play closer to their roles than what is offered currently by the tiny lack of flow maps currently offered.  Beyond that maybe start giving things away, more contests, and anything else to get the NA player base back up, because WT has numbers now that WoT had three four years ago, and from what I know WoT has numbers that are less than half that. 

Christojojo #5 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 02:27

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 30776 battles
  • [RTR] RTR

View PostDOAmaker, on Nov 26 2017 - 20:15, said:

They need to make the maps larger and stop with forcing players into A B or C fighting areas and allow for more dynamic game play.  If the maps flowed like real terrain then lights, mediums, heavies, and tank destroyers could all actually play closer to their roles than what is offered currently by the tiny lack of flow maps currently offered.  Beyond that maybe start giving things away, more contests, and anything else to get the NA player base back up, because WT has numbers now that WoT had three four years ago, and from what I know WoT has numbers that are less than half that. 

The east server easily had 80k on it at any given time for a while. I do not know how large the actual player base was but few played 24hrs a day so that was a lot of players per day vs the near 20k  they have on now for all of the Americas. All the maps that you want to play could be made by players to see if it works out. I would love ridiculously large maps that allow for more hide and seek variety.

Orion3 #6 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 03:25

Major

• Players
  • 10456 battles
You can't forget to add all of the server transfers from NA in there as well. Sure they combined the East and West into a Central server. But after that, they let loose people who wanted to transfer. 

Crazy_Crusher #7 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 07:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2366 battles
  • [AAAF] AAAF

This is an excellent idea! WarGaming could sift through the fan-made levels and add the good ones to the game. This game desperatly needs more maps and this is way for lots of new ones in a very little amount of time. Maybe successful map-makers could be rewarded some gold as an incentive. 

This could bring the game back to life again!

Skyrimosity #8 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 07:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15594 battles
  • [RS] RS
I would prefer: Release map-maker kit, hold contests for entries, select 10 or so, have a vote to narrow it down, then implement top 2 or 3 into sandbox for testing before entering game and rotation. No separate servers for customs plz

Crazy_Crusher #9 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 18:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2366 battles
  • [AAAF] AAAF

View PostSkyrimosity, on Nov 27 2017 - 00:47, said:

I would prefer: Release map-maker kit, hold contests for entries, select 10 or so, have a vote to narrow it down, then implement top 2 or 3 into sandbox for testing before entering game and rotation. No separate servers for customs plz

YES.

dpmgumby #10 Posted Nov 27 2017 - 19:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3057 battles

View PostChristojojo, on Nov 27 2017 - 01:56, said:

Please release a map maker kit and let us make maps. Some games that are long in the tooth survived by letting their gamers design and make maps. You could put them on a vote type server (instead of reporting players you vote on the maps) The ones that do well could be put in rotation.

I have spent over 25 years in the game programming business and can tell you from that experience, that what you are asking for is extremly hard to do correctly. 

Warcraft had a map editor and a pretty good one too. But Warcraft didnt have to worry about the ground mechanics. Characters could move through anything you put into the map. With WOT of course we have ever changing terrain, water, trees, buildings that break and buildings that dont break.

I am not saying that it could not be done, but how would WG recoup the timesink to make this?

Don't see it happening.

Sgt__Guffy #11 Posted Nov 28 2017 - 06:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2288 battles

I did a map layout a long time ago as a suggestion based on the Ludendorff Bridge, probably better known from the film  Bridge at Remagen. Obviously having just the bridge would cause a bottleneck, so I introduced a pontoon bridge also. The idea was to provide an opportunity to employ attack and defensive tactics. Not sure, as the game is so arcade, it would work now. It would have been nice to acknowledge such a significant landmark from World War II.

Christojojo #12 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 03:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 30776 battles
  • [RTR] RTR

View PostCrazy_Crusher, on Nov 27 2017 - 01:24, said:

This is an excellent idea! WarGaming could sift through the fan-made levels and add the good ones to the game. This game desperatly needs more maps and this is way for lots of new ones in a very little amount of time. Maybe successful map-makers could be rewarded some gold as an incentive. 

This could bring the game back to life again!

View PostSkyrimosity, on Nov 27 2017 - 01:47, said:

View Postdpmgumby, on Nov 27 2017 - 13:15, said:

I have spent over 25 years in the game programming business and can tell you from that experience, that what you are asking for is extremly hard to do correctly. 

Warcraft had a map editor and a pretty good one too. But Warcraft didnt have to worry about the ground mechanics. Characters could move through anything you put into the map. With WOT of course we have ever changing terrain, water, trees, buildings that break and buildings that dont break.

I am not saying that it could not be done, but how would WG recoup the timesink to make this?

Don't see it happening.

Crazy and Sky I believe the rewards for the map makers could easily be done. Wargaming gives out gold  to kill their reps in game all the time so it could be implemented.

I dont think that just any map design would work nor do I think that some sort of tools aren't already done. Most companies have developed their own tools . They just have to release them. I believe some people out there would even improve it for Wargaming in the form of mods. Saying nay (which you didn't) stops an opportunity for them to add a little enthusiasm for so little effort. If it works the company makes more money by o a more active community.

Christojojo #13 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 01:25

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 30776 battles
  • [RTR] RTR
I am just curious any changes in your minds about making maps ourselves?

Manimal__ #14 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 05:39

Major

• Players
  • 37734 battles

View PostChristojojo, on Nov 26 2017 - 16:56, said:

Wanna know why WG will never let player create maps?

ThEHaChA #15 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 493 battles

i actually agree with this, i saw other games like Team Fortress 2 live because of their community, they let their players to vote for community created maps and items to be put in the game, i'm a learning programmer, and i actually created some items and maps, but i'm not in the voting stage yet XD.

and there's TONS of ways to use this kind of system in the game, like tank skins, gamemodes, etc.

ThEHaChA #16 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 493 battles
and one step necessary to do this is to put world of tanks on steam, they have world of warships and wot blitz on steam, why they won't put this game also in steam.

ThEHaChA #17 Posted Jan 12 2018 - 11:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 493 battles

View Postdpmgumby, on Nov 27 2017 - 21:45, said:

Don't see it happening.

actually WG said that they are working on buildings mechanics and how they would be demolished, so i think nondestructible buildings would be able to break, and for the ground physics it would be a preset thing, so no matter what you put in the map, it would work 

Christojojo #18 Posted Jan 15 2018 - 07:56

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 30776 battles
  • [RTR] RTR

View PostManimal__, on Jan 11 2018 - 23:39, said:

Wanna know why WG will never let player create maps?

How is that different from any other game? Really thinking worse case scenario of on player drivel is the best you can do> I bet you are the life of the Titanic. Dont bother with the life boats we are going to die. Sigh its not the "can't" , its the "how can we"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users