new camo system is absurd/hideous

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

y_KnT #1 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 07:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 58280 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR
mixing camo for the hull turret and gun is hideous.  likewise the new paints as base colors are an absurd abomination.  don't really want to see a bunch of purple tanks running around. 

dexatrin82 #2 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 07:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17750 battles
  • [AR-PA] AR-PA
I like the new system, a Lot.

y_KnT #3 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 08:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 58280 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

View Postdexatrin82, on Nov 28 2017 - 22:49, said:

I like the new system, a Lot.

so you're good with the purple hull and blue turret?

Scorpiany #4 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 08:06

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 30552 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

I like the new system for the most part. For those who don't go crazy with the blue and purples, it should be a lot of fun to play around with. I'm sure mixing camos will allow for many cool designs, for those who do it right.

Of course, just like most people, I don't particularly think I want to see bright blue and purple tanks everywhere... So I will disable it in the settings. However, the normal camo patterns / colors will be nice to mix & match.

Edited by Scorpiany, Nov 29 2017 - 08:08.

Demonic_Angel_of_Death #5 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 08:22

Major

• Players
  • 2142 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

View Posty_KnT, on Nov 29 2017 - 01:46, said:

don't really want to see a bunch of purple tanks running around. 

"Historically accurate elements are visible to all players by default. If you’d like to see all elements, including designs that diverge from history, just un-check the “Hide non-historic elements” box in the settings (“General” tab). It’s checked by default."

(This means you have to actually want to see player made camo schemes in order to see them)

So just leave the box checked and you wont have to? How hard is it to literally do nothing?

Edited by Demonic_Angel_of_Death, Nov 29 2017 - 08:23.

RC_1140 #6 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 08:48

Captain

• Players
  • 53837 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
I like some of the new paints, just wish they gave camo bonus. I will probably use some of them on my tanks that don't need camo but sadly my camo reliant tanks will stick with the old stuff. Also I don't really like mixing camo/paint so I'll be sticking to all of one type.

lordawesome7 #7 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 08:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21058 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Nov 29 2017 - 02:22, said:

"Historically accurate elements are visible to all players by default. If you’d like to see all elements, including designs that diverge from history, just un-check the “Hide non-historic elements” box in the settings (“General” tab). It’s checked by default."

(This means you have to actually want to see player made camo schemes in order to see them)

So just leave the box checked and you wont have to? How hard is it to literally do nothing?

reading is too hard for the average WoT whiner

dexatrin82 #8 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 09:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17750 battles
  • [AR-PA] AR-PA

View Postlordawesome7, on Nov 29 2017 - 08:59, said:

reading is too hard for the average WoT whiner

^^^ This right here

y_KnT #9 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 09:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 58280 battles
  • [MCHNR] MCHNR

View PostDemonic_Angel_of_Death, on Nov 28 2017 - 23:22, said:

so does completely different and incongruous camo on hull and turret count as historically accurate?

don't get me wrong, i would appreciate a nice new custom camo scheme

it would be nice to enjoy subtle changes in camo without looking at purple tanks

also a bit concerned about the fiddle involved in 15 cans of paint

GaussDeath #10 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 09:23

Captain

• Players
  • 52149 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View Posty_KnT, on Nov 28 2017 - 23:46, said:

mixing camo for the hull turret and gun is hideous.  likewise the new paints as base colors are an absurd abomination.  don't really want to see a bunch of purple tanks running around. 

Which is why there will be an option to not see it if you don't have to. 

Demonic_Angel_of_Death #11 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 09:32

Major

• Players
  • 2142 battles
  • [DEMON] DEMON

View Posty_KnT, on Nov 29 2017 - 03:18, said:

so does completely different and incongruous camo on hull and turret count as historically accurate?

don't get me wrong, i would appreciate a nice new custom camo scheme

it would be nice to enjoy subtle changes in camo without looking at purple tanks

also a bit concerned about the fiddle involved in 15 cans of paint

Currently paint does not add the camo bonus... And when camo is applied the only portion that matters for getting the camo bonus is the hull, so you can paint the hull, and leave everything stock and it will count as a camo'd tank...

slash1570 #12 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 09:46

Private

• Players
  • 10847 battles
  • [-SSS-] -SSS-

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, the thought of being able to rescale the camo on different parts of the tank makes me really excited for the next update. The biggest problem I've always had with camo is that camo can look really good on one tank, but then equally bad on another. The ability to fine tune the look of your tank is a great idea. Being able to mix and match camo is a bonus that will be fun to play around with; I don't think most players will have mixed camo since it will cost twice as much because you end up buying two camo colors instead of just one, that is unless War gaming starts charging per quadrant instead of per color. Plus, I really like the new UI; it looks beautiful and much more intuitive.

The problem I have is with the paints. An interesting idea, yes, but as far as I know the "hide non-historical elements" box only hides two colors . So even with the "hide non-historical elements" box checked, a player can still make a tank look like crapwith all the colors left. Even with the "hide non-historical elements" box checked, a player can make an American tank look like a French tank, and as someone who uses the color of a tank to get a read on it, I don't want to be like, "Since when did they add a Premium French Pershing to the game? Is the armor weaker? Is it more mobile than a normal Pershing? I wish I knew more about that tank before I got in a one-on-one with it" in the middle of battle.

What I'd like to see changed is adding an effect that increases the vibrancy of the camo. Maybe call it the "Like New" effect because the camo on my S1 is barely noticeable. Plus, add more options to turn off the paint entirely, and disable the mix and match of camo patterns so the color of the whole tank will be whatever the color of the hull of the tank is wile keeping the scaling intact​. I can't stress that last point enough.

TheBattleMaster8 #13 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 11:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12506 battles
  • [R3TRO] R3TRO
Honestly though, why is this being added over other things that are more important? I strongly dislike the non-historical paint, thankfully you can turn most of them off, but mix-matched paint IS non-historical paint! I like the paint effects. I could see myself adding wear and tear to my tank's paint based on the number of battles I play in them (because I'm a nerd), but that's about it. There's no way I'm unchecking the box that shields me from seeing pink E-100s hiding in bushes. I would be very grateful if I couldn't see mix-matched paints either.

MacDaddyMatty #14 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 13:13

Major

• -Players-
  • 18599 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postslash1570, on Nov 29 2017 - 03:46, said:

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, the thought of being able to rescale the camo on different parts of the tank makes me really excited for the next update. The biggest problem I've always had with camo is that camo can look really good on one tank, but then equally bad on another. The ability to fine tune the look of your tank is a great idea. Being able to mix and match camo is a bonus that will be fun to play around with; I don't think most players will have mixed camo since it will cost twice as much because you end up buying two camo colors instead of just one, that is unless War gaming starts charging per quadrant instead of per color. Plus, I really like the new UI; it looks beautiful and much more intuitive.

The problem I have is with the paints. An interesting idea, yes, but as far as I know the "hide non-historical elements" box only hides two colors . So even with the "hide non-historical elements" box checked, a player can still make a tank look like crapwith all the colors left. Even with the "hide non-historical elements" box checked, a player can make an American tank look like a French tank, and as someone who uses the color of a tank to get a read on it, I don't want to be like, "Since when did they add a Premium French Pershing to the game? Is the armor weaker? Is it more mobile than a normal Pershing? I wish I knew more about that tank before I got in a one-on-one with it" in the middle of battle.

What I'd like to see changed is adding an effect that increases the vibrancy of the camo. Maybe call it the "Like New" effect because the camo on my S1 is barely noticeable. Plus, add more options to turn off the paint entirely, and disable the mix and match of camo patterns so the color of the whole tank will be whatever the color of the hull of the tank is wile keeping the scaling intact​. I can't stress that last point enough.

+1

GeorgePreddy #15 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 14:07

Major

• Players
  • 14334 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG

View Posty_KnT, on Nov 29 2017 - 03:46, said:

Luckily, you don't have to... the default setting for everyone will be "Don't show un-historical camo".

Just leave that box checked and let the anime camo morons have their fun.

Ahrtoo #16 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 17:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 29796 battles

View PostTheBattleMaster8, on Nov 29 2017 - 11:05, said:

Honestly though, why is this being added over other things that are more important? I strongly dislike the non-historical paint, thankfully you can turn most of them off, but mix-matched paint IS non-historical paint! I like the paint effects. I could see myself adding wear and tear to my tank's paint based on the number of battles I play in them (because I'm a nerd), but that's about it. There's no way I'm unchecking the box that shields me from seeing pink E-100s hiding in bushes. I would be very grateful if I couldn't see mix-matched paints either.

It is being added because:

1) It is a way to get people to spend more money on the game.

2) It will attract more Farmville players.

From WG's perspective, what could be more important?

SmirkingGerbil #17 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 17:56

Major

• Players
  • 34427 battles
  • [ANASS] ANASS

Meh, as others mentioned, and was discussed early yesterday, you can change your settings to disable any visual atrocities.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't try to make my tanks look atrocious - or super historically accurate.

I think this is a cool feature.

Mikosah #18 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 19:03

Major

• Players
  • 17520 battles

My one concern is whether or not mixing and matching 'historical' colors on different areas of the same tank still counts as a historical appearance. For example, the hull painted American brown, the turret in French blue, and the gun in Russian green. Would that color scheme still be visible when the 'historical camo only' option is on? 

But besides that, the idea of different areas being painted different colors seems completely ridiculous to begin with. Honestly I say do away with this compartmentalization and have colors/patterns apply to the whole tank. That one step alone would make the system much more logical. 

ThePigSheFlies #19 Posted Nov 29 2017 - 20:33

Major

• Players
  • 59076 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostMikosah, on Nov 29 2017 - 13:03, said:

But besides that, the idea of different areas being painted different colors seems completely ridiculous to begin with.

why?  surely battles never happened when a crew was in the middle of painting or repainting their tank...   "hold on!  don't shoot!  I'm not done painting"   *smirk*

let's not forget that in addition, that many tanks were captured, and re-deployed (sometimes even with complete gun or engine changes) and would also typically have some paint modification done at some stage...

FrozenKemp #20 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 43064 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Nov 29 2017 - 14:33, said:

why?  surely battles never happened when a crew was in the middle of painting or repainting their tank...   "hold on!  don't shoot!  I'm not done painting"   *smirk*

let's not forget that in addition, that many tanks were captured, and re-deployed (sometimes even with complete gun or engine changes) and would also typically have some paint modification done at some stage...

Paint the turret (say) a different colour from the hull would probably be a good way of making a tank MORE visible which is not what anyone wants.

In the case of the Brits, it would be going against actual orders as well. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users