• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

CabbageMechanic #1 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 20:51

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 8274 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hey Tankers,

Have some info on the latest HD map updates for you.  Soon the Super Test server will be receiving updated versions of Steppes, Ruinberg, and Fisherman's Bay to test some of the changes to the maps.  As some of you know, part of the HD map updates for the old maps involve some significant changes to their layouts to improve and innovate the gameplay on them.  We want to take the opportunity to improve the maps as we upgrade them to HD quality.

Steppes:

This isn't the first time we have tested Steppes, but we now have an updated version incorporating lots of improvements from feedback from the previous round of testing.  We've made changes that will improve the balance of the map, give some more opportunities for early long-range snapshots, adding some more opportunities to play from camouflage/concealment, and improve the East flank to make it more playable for both sides.

Ruinberg:

First look at the updated version  - some significant balance changes have been made alongside the updated visuals.  Currently the team from the Northern base has some slight advantages and wins a bit more often, we are making some changes including adding a new playable position from the Southern side in G1 so they can be slightly more secure in their efforts to withstand opponents.  This position will offer some nice shot opportunities into F2 and F3.

Fisherman's Bay:

Another first look, we are looking to improve the gameplay of the central part of the map and make the Western side more suitable for both teams.  New intermediate cover in contestable position and some cleaned up sight lines will create more opportunities to support fights occurring in the middle.

Please note that these are far from finished products and will likely be updated again before seeing the live server.  In addition, I have received feedback from several of you that these newer videos aren't offering a great look at the layout changes - I have submitted that feedback to the team.

Let us know what you think!

Bronco2219 #2 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 21:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25102 battles
  • [69CBR] 69CBR

Putting lipstick on a pig does not make it a new pig! Still the same bacon.  I play tanks to shoot tanks, not on a sight seeing tour if it does not have a red outline and shooting at me adding extra detail means nothing.

Not saying it does not look great!  But really i am pretty sure the players are not here to look at the pretty flowers and sexy door handles so to speak!  

They are here to blow up tanks period!  Adding lip stick to the same boring maps really does nothing to improve game play. yup run the same pattern over and over and over, See the same tanks going to the same places on the same maps. ( oh wait ) stop look at those pretty new flowers.! ( not ) I am pretty sure if your had a poll on what players really want to see........................ It would be more maps!  

I do like the detail your putting into the map's but in all honesty your work and effort are going to go mostly unnoticed......... Red tanks are what is being looked for.  

Edited by Bronco2219, Nov 30 2017 - 21:45.

cloudwalkr #3 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 21:58

Major

• Players
  • 53895 battles

View PostBronco2219, on Nov 30 2017 - 21:44, said:

Putting lipstick on a pig does not make it a new pig! Still the same bacon.  I play tanks to shoot tanks, not on a sight seeing tour if it does not have a red outline and shooting at me adding extra detail means nothing.

Not saying it does not look great!  But really i am pretty sure the players are not here to look at the pretty flowers and sexy door handles so to speak!  

They are here to blow up tanks period!  Adding lip stick to the same boring maps really does nothing to improve game play. yup run the same pattern over and over and over, See the same tanks going to the same places on the same maps. ( oh wait ) stop look at those pretty new flowers.! ( not ) I am pretty sure if your had a poll on what players really want to see........................ It would be more maps!  

I do like the detail your putting into the map's but in all honesty your work and effort are going to go mostly unnoticed......... Red tanks are what is being looked for.  

Please WG, don't listen to this guy.  Updated maps and improved graphics are long since overdue.

OctavariumDT8 #4 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46084 battles
what those 2 above me said ^ ^

Eisenriese #5 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14185 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL

I am just glad they are putting in a Latin server. Can you imagine the SA folks with sub par systems barely able to run the game NOW at more than 10fps.

I do 100% agree with others. Maps look good I guess but its the same crap. New maps (and not for just one mode, grand (fail) battles). Or return some of the removed maps.

Kamahl1234 #6 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:20

Major

• Players
  • 18393 battles

View PostEisenriese, on Nov 30 2017 - 21:15, said:

I am just glad they are putting in a Latin server. Can you imagine the SA folks with sub par systems barely able to run the game NOW at more than 10fps.

I do 100% agree with others. Maps look good I guess but its the same crap. New maps (and not for just one mode, grand (fail) battles). Or return some of the removed maps.

You do realize that this is being done specifically in a way to minimize impact for low end systems, as still we have a significant amount of the global population that are below minim spec.

Plenty of NA folks have systems that poor too. Heck, there's a few well known unicums that started that way, and played with it for years. 

the_dude_76 #7 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:21

Major

• Players
  • 32216 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostBronco2219, on Nov 30 2017 - 20:44, said:

If they rolled back the game to what it was originally you would definitely feel differently

YANKEE137 #8 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:26

Major

• -Players-
  • 10077 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR
I like the work. I would love to see a tunnel or building we could drive into and through. Is that a problem for the POV camera?

Spartan_Striker #9 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 26081 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON

View PostBronco2219, on Nov 30 2017 - 14:44, said:

In all honesty, this is a necessary step to bring WoT back out of the graphical dark ages.

It simply must be done. World of Tanks was the cutting edge of graphics when it first came out now, but is now lagging behind a large majority of online games.

What I say a lot is, once HD maps are converted, it never need be done again. Wargaming can then focus on entirely new maps, tank lines, etc.

ClydeCooper421 #10 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 22:49

Major

• -Players-
  • 13391 battles
  • [LOAF] LOAF

Can we stop with the worthless fly by drone shots of the maps and let us look at the minimap or a drive-through so we can see the areas. 

We already know the maps will look gorgeous, we just want to see how gameplay will be affected. 

Avalon304 #11 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 19147 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

I do wonder whats changed on Steppes... these flythroughs are garbage for actually discerning anything.

Ruinberg looks pretty. Hopefully the center road no longer favours the northern team more. Again, the fly through is garbage for actually being able to see any changes.

Fishermans Bay probably needed the least amount of changes. Hopefully you got rid of the hidey hole corner in the south where players like to run to if their team is losing. Again the flythrough is garbage for seeing any change. Though the Hurricanes look cool.

MountainLion1 #12 Posted Nov 30 2017 - 23:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 22467 battles
  • [TMBPK] TMBPK

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Nov 30 2017 - 20:51, said:

Hey Tankers,

Have some info on the latest HD map updates for you.  Soon the Super Test server will be receiving updated versions of Steppes, Ruinberg, and Fisherman's Bay to test some of the changes to the maps.  As some of you know, part of the HD map updates for the old maps involve some significant changes to their layouts to improve and innovate the gameplay on them.  We want to take the opportunity to improve the maps as we upgrade them to HD quality.

Steppes:

This isn't the first time we have tested Steppes, but we now have an updated version incorporating lots of improvements from feedback from the previous round of testing.  We've made changes that will improve the balance of the map, give some more opportunities for early long-range snapshots, adding some more opportunities to play from camouflage/concealment, and improve the East flank to make it more playable for both sides.

Ruinberg:

First look at the updated version  - some significant balance changes have been made alongside the updated visuals.  Currently the team from the Northern base has some slight advantages and wins a bit more often, we are making some changes including adding a new playable position from the Southern side in G1 so they can be slightly more secure in their efforts to withstand opponents.  This position will offer some nice shot opportunities into F2 and F3.

Fisherman's Bay:

Another first look, we are looking to improve the gameplay of the central part of the map and make the Western side more suitable for both teams.  New intermediate cover in contestable position and some cleaned up sight lines will create more opportunities to support fights occurring in the middle.

Please note that these are far from finished products and will likely be updated again before seeing the live server.  In addition, I have received feedback from several of you that these newer videos aren't offering a great look at the layout changes - I have submitted that feedback to the team.

Thanks for the update,looking forward to trying out the new map changes on the Sandbox server.

Bronco2219 #13 Posted Dec 01 2017 - 00:01

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25102 battles
  • [69CBR] 69CBR

View PostSpartan_Striker, on Nov 30 2017 - 14:39, said:

In all honesty, this is a necessary step to bring WoT back out of the graphical dark ages.

It simply must be done. World of Tanks was the cutting edge of graphics when it first came out now, but is now lagging behind a large majority of online games.

What I say a lot is, once HD maps are converted, it never need be done again. Wargaming can then focus on entirely new maps, tank lines, etc.

The HD maps look great, But the effort put into these maps, could be channeled into new improved maps.  Instead of the same battle lines on the same maps with updated icing sugar.

HI_FIVE #14 Posted Dec 01 2017 - 00:13

Major

• Players
  • 44004 battles
Seriously. There are some players in this game that you cant make happy no matter what you do WG. Maps look great. 

Silver_ReBangBang_Wow #15 Posted Dec 01 2017 - 01:55

Captain

• Players
  • 36747 battles
  • [SEIKO] SEIKO

View PostBronco2219, on Nov 30 2017 - 20:44, said:

doesn't look like you been shooting them too well.

Spartan_Striker #16 Posted Dec 01 2017 - 13:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 26081 battles
  • [FUSON] FUSON

View PostBronco2219, on Nov 30 2017 - 17:01, said:

The HD maps look great, But the effort put into these maps, could be channeled into new improved maps.  Instead of the same battle lines on the same maps with updated icing sugar.

Simply aesthetically, more potential new players will skim over this game and move on to another one without giving it a try,

associating its graphics quality with poor gameplay.

Wot needs to be on par with other games graphically to stay in the race.

Edited by Spartan_Striker, Dec 01 2017 - 14:49.

Errants #17 Posted Dec 01 2017 - 18:31

Captain

• Players
  • 52683 battles

View PostBronco2219, on Nov 30 2017 - 14:44, said:

View PostSilverEaglewing, on Nov 30 2017 - 18:55, said:

doesn't look like you been shooting them too well.

Yes, Bronco, but you don't seem to find the red tanks. So, what does it matter to you?

AZandEL #18 Posted Dec 22 2017 - 22:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27036 battles

View PostCabbageMechanic, on Nov 30 2017 - 19:51, said:

Hey Tankers,

Steppes:

Ruinberg:

Fisherman's Bay:

These look nice but I play SD. On the subjet of maps - since you are reworking existing ones how about you grow the old tiny maps like Himmelsdorf and Ensk out to the proper 1000 x 1000 size?

Avalon304 #19 Posted Dec 22 2017 - 23:39

Major

• Players
  • 19147 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostAZandEL, on Dec 22 2017 - 14:52, said:

These look nice but I play SD. On the subjet of maps - since you are reworking existing ones how about you grow the old tiny maps like Himmelsdorf and Ensk out to the proper 1000 x 1000 size?

Theyre going to look just as nice on the SD client. The only difference between the SD and HD client is texture size. HD textures are bigger.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users