General Advice to Helping Win Games

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Skyrimosity #1 Posted Dec 03 2017 - 01:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17130 battles
  • [RS] RS

Hello everyone; After starting off with a 1 win, 8 loss session and having to go ultimate try-hard mode to bring it back to 50% WR, I figure that there's no better time to do a write-up about winning games than when it feels impossible and you see all the ways that people are losing them.

1. Take a hit: Hit points. Every tank in this game has hit points, and you will generally not die until all your hit points are gone. If you are in your tank, with three allies on the corner, and on the other side of a corner there is 1 gun looking at you, do not be afraid to take the 1 shot from the enemy in order to push-up. Lost a game earlier because three tanks would not take a shot from an E-75 in order to finish off the city on Ruinberg; they sat there for two minutes, doing nothing, and then finally some other tank came from all the way from across the map and took the hit. Unfortunately, it was too late and we lost. I would say that players being unwilling to take a hit is one of the main reasons that winnable games are lost. If you have 1000 health, and the enemy has 490 alpha, he will not kill you 4999/5000 times. There are other situations where you simply HAVE to take a hit in order to win the game, and it's up to you to learn to identify these. 

2: Know your tank and know your map: It is vitally important to understand the pros and cons of your tank over others and how you can make use of it on the map. If you have a strong turret and weak hull, know where you can go on the map in order to make the most use of it. There are no guaranteed "Heavies go here, Mediums go here, end of story" maps no matter how much both Wargaming and the player-base wants there to be. Go where your tank can succeed the most on any given map. 

3: Don't be afraid to MAKE your tank work: Okay, you went to that really great spot that is perfectly made to suit your tanks strengths. Good job. However, your team didn't support you due to employing a different "strategy" and you were quickly rushed and killed. What do you do? Rage at the team, either through map spam or 'constructive criticism'? No, realize you made a mistake. You cannot be the Lone Warrior in this game (at least at the beginning) and need to utilize your team either as support or meat shields depending upon your level of cynicism. You need to either: Push with the team or to put your tank in a situation where the enemy cannot push you safely (generally, this does not mean to be 500m away with TD support because usually they will be willing to push past that and RNG can make the TD shots miss). If you're on Erlenberg and your team abandons East, I would advise helping to push West, but alternatively, you want to set up either near the water to spot incoming enemies or on the the ridges overlooking base to shoot enemies depending on the tank. 

4: Mistakes can happen in ANY game: If you want to improve in order to have a better chance of winning next time, you should think about the mistakes you made this time. I just had a battle where I got a High Caliber and 5 kills with a Leopard 1 on Ruinberg, and I know that I made several mistakes that cost me the win. If I had not rushed a shot on an enemy TD and had bothered to aim and hit, would have won because he would later help to cap with only 200 HP left. If I had not re-positioned mid and had instead stayed overlooking base, there's a greater chance I would have won. Etc. Mistakes do not only happen in the games where you do 0 or 1 shots of damage. 

5: Some games are unwinnable: One of the hardest truths of the game is that sometimes you simply cannot win. 3 and a half minutes into a match on Paris, and you're down 1-8 with all your best heavies miraculously dead? GG. The best thing you can do in these matches is to do as much damage as possible and to eliminate low health targets whenever possible. Sometimes, sometimes, a game that looks unwinnable can be brought from the brink. While some people may think of this part as "Stat Padding", by focusing on damage and kills when the game is looking at its darkest, the simple fact is that you need to reduce Health Points to win the match. By reducing the enemy health points and reducing their ability to take yours, you are doing the most you can to attempt to win. This is not as often as you may think; of my 8 losses early in the session, I would put 1 in the unwinnable no matter my contribution category. 

6: Identify Win/Loss situations: Sometimes, you will find yourself in the midst of a play that is nearly 100% certain to determine the outcome of the game. However, what happens if you don't realize that you need to lead the push against the enemy, even if it means taking a JPZ 100 shot? Or what happens if you don't understand that abandoning your position is a fatal error? You wait for someone else to take the JPZ shot, and you abandon your position, and you lose. Unfortunately, it can happen where your team might not understand these situations as well. It can happen where you understand that you cannot abandon a position, but your team will not move to support you and you will get swarmed and killed. 

7: Ignore Tactically Useless Flanks: 8/9 line on Abbey, Valley on Lakeville, City on Live Oaks, Ice Road on Mountain Pass. All of these positions are completely tactically useless and should be ignored by you every time (ideally, one friendly tank will go there anyway to let you know what's there, but that tank NEVER needs to be you.) 8/9 on Abbey: farmed as you attempt to enter cap by higher positions. Valley on Lakeville: Farmed by TDs around cap/overlooking valley. City on Live Oaks: Farmed by tanks in positions about 350m away from the city, then if they make it past that, farmed by the team that won rails. Unfortunately, sometimes, in the case of Live Oaks, it conflicts with advice #3. 

8: Get your gun into the fight: If I only had $1 for all the games where I've seen tanks of all kinds be in a position where: A, they are doing nothing and B, Even when the enemy team pushes their allies they are still in a position to do nothing, or C, When your team pushes they do not position to help at all. 

9: Alpha is Armor: Close tie-in with #8. If you're in a Rev in a 3/5/7 match as top tier, you don't have armor but the 390 alpha will protect you from most foes, whether through fear or brutality. T110E4, with armor that is almost laughable, is a frontline tank because enemies will fear the 750 alpha with great penetration. Have you ever seen the way that a DeathStar can single-handedly cause upwards of 3/4 tanks to sit on a corner and not poke? Alpha is armor. The key is, once you lose your alpha (AKA, shoot) to be in a position where you then cannot be shot without the enemy exposing themselves to others. 

10: Judge each player individually (AKA, why you should not use XVM): I've seen players with 52% WR and undoubtedly decent WN8, make the exact wrong plays despite the fact you may expect them to. I MYSELF make the exact wrong plays in too many situations. Everybody makes mistakes, and even if you use XVM to "see who you can rely on" (as I used to) you will find that sometimes you cannot rely on anyone. This is because the ONLY person who sees the game the same way as you, is you. Maybe you're convinced that you need to push hard in order to win, but the purple player you're relying on doesn't see things that way so doesn't push with you. You cannot rely on people to do things based upon their stats; rather, you have to pay some attention to how your team is behaving throughout the match in order to understand what you can expect of certain people. If someone has had 0 map awareness throughout the game, they are not going to suddenly develop it in the end-game scenario just because you need them to. Alternatively, if somebody's been playing amazingly and hard-carrying, then it's not a bad idea to support them if possible. 

11: Ask yourself "Why?" in regards to your decision making (but don't out-think yourself). Recently, I was trying to help someone who was not so good in a subject and I found that if I asked them why they wanted to do something it would completely disorient them. Meanwhile, when I demonstrated and they asked me "Why?" I was able to give explanations. I realized then that this attitude does carry over well into tanking; "Why am I going to this position? Well, it is most likely to be a good position for my tank, the enemy will likely not be able to counter it, and it looks like my teammates will support it." If you ask yourself "Why?" and end up thinking "I don't really know" then you are not making an informed play. Informed plays are much more likely to work out because you understand the reasoning behind making it. Every now and again, people of any skill level can find themselves in the best position; however, if you want to consistently win games, you need to understand what makes it a good position. Don't get too overzealous with this, however, because oftentimes even a bad decision in this game will be better than indecision. 

12. "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake". This one can be very hard to master (and I would not say I am there yet) but it is very bad for the enemy once you get a solid grip of it. This translates to the game in a multitude of ways. The first one I can think of is this: the enemy is leaving a position of strong cover and advancing; however, the moment he's out of cover, you shoot him. He then backs up to his prior cover and the positions have not been changed. In many situations, it would have been better to allow for them to be in a position where the prior cover was no longer attainable before firing instead of shooting immediately. This is especially true for fast-firing high DPM vehicles, Autoloaders, and for Tank Destroyers. For high DPM and Autoloaders: you want to get more than one shot into the enemy and should therefore attempt to time it so that you get as many shots as possible at them (try for a track shot, even if it will do 0 damage). For Tank Destroyers, too many people make the mistake of firing the moment that the enemy leaves cover and allowing them to retreat; rather, you should give it a few more seconds so they are securely out of cover and allies are taking notice before firing to increase the likelihood that they will not back up and that your allies will finish them off. Of course, this also increase the amount of times you will get a 2nd shot in. 

I hope that this advice will prove helpful to at least one person, because maybe if it is, the game will be a little better off. Happy Tanking.

Edited by Skyrimosity, Mar 08 2018 - 18:54.

BigDollarBillz #2 Posted Dec 03 2017 - 02:21

Major

• Players
  • 36196 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
Great advice

spacecubicnub #3 Posted Dec 03 2017 - 03:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 23123 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM
Good post Sky

shadow336k #4 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 06:19

Private

• -Players-
  • 10630 battles

you are a certified beauty Sky

and its a weird coincidence that I have a crush on this girl named Sky lol

Skyrimosity #5 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 16:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17130 battles
  • [RS] RS

View Postshadow336k, on Dec 05 2017 - 23:19, said:

you are a certified beauty Sky

and its a weird coincidence that I have a crush on this girl named Sky lol

:B

ndifference #6 Posted Dec 10 2017 - 02:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15072 battles
Good stuff.  +1

Skyrimosity #7 Posted Dec 12 2017 - 02:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17130 battles
  • [RS] RS
Outdated replay

Skyrimosity #8 Posted Feb 06 2018 - 04:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17130 battles
  • [RS] RS
Front-page bump

Skyrimosity #9 Posted Mar 08 2018 - 18:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17130 battles
  • [RS] RS
Updated advice with tips #11 and #12

zhymm #10 Posted Mar 12 2018 - 01:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33770 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

Very good post, sky. +1

Glad you bumped it.

OMZ

Samurai_RAC #11 Posted Apr 04 2018 - 17:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 13436 battles
  • [MISF] MISF
Great advice... thanks Sky!

cheapbooks #12 Posted May 10 2018 - 12:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35516 battles
  • [CBKS] CBKS

I made this video which explains how to win under 3 circumstances:

1. being on a winning team

2. being on evenly matched teams

3. being on a losing team

It is not about ammo and equipment etc, it is more about how to play on the field during the game depending on whether you are 5 vs 5 or 1 vs 5, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users