I need help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Explodinggruntz #1 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

I love this game I really do. I think the game mechanics are fun and when I'm enjoying the game I'm really enjoying it. The problem is that I often find it very hard to enjoy the game because I'm constantly dying early into games while doing barely anything, getting smacked around by arty, or having to face tanks 2 tiers higher than me that I just can't pen even with premium. I try to improve and get better (I lots watch of vids and read lots of suggestions) but no matter what I do I feel like I just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. It's gotten to the point where I'm literally ragging over the game (already broke one keyboard) and anytime I face a tank 2 tiers higher than me (which is usually tier VIII since I mostly play tier VI) I get depressed since I feel there is nothing I'm gonna be able to do. It's gotten so bad that I just committed the worst sin and suicided at the start of match causes I was fed up with fighting tier VIII heavy tanks in my tier VI Shermans.

I do seriously want to improve so I don't feel like I'm bumbling around like an idiot at the mercy of RNGesus.

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right place.

Keep_Summer_Safe #2 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21160 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostExplodinggruntz, on Dec 04 2017 - 19:08, said:

I love this game I really do. I think the game mechanics are fun and when I'm enjoying the game I'm really enjoying it. The problem is that I often find it very hard to enjoy the game because I'm constantly dying early into games while doing barely anything, getting smacked around by arty, or having to face tanks 2 tiers higher than me that I just can't pen even with premium. I try to improve and get better (I lots watch of vids and read lots of suggestions) but no matter what I do I feel like I just keep repeating the same thing over and over again. It's gotten to the point where I'm literally ragging over the game (already broke one keyboard) and anytime I face a tank 2 tiers higher than me (which is usually tier VIII since I mostly play tier VI) I get depressed since I feel there is nothing I'm gonna be able to do. It's gotten so bad that I just committed the worst sin and suicided at the start of match causes I was fed up with fighting tier VIII heavy tanks in my tier VI Shermans.

I do seriously want to improve so I don't feel like I'm bumbling around like an idiot at the mercy of RNGesus. Part of Wargaming's business model is to p*ss you off in order to keep you coming back and spending money. 

If you are breaking keyboards then you should speak with someone.... Not being a d*ck but chat rage is one thing but destroying your stuff is another. 

Maybe this game isn't for you so give something else a go. Fallout, Doom, other stuff like that omit the stupid and irritating RNG and the chance of being triggered from having 14 lead paint chip eaters being put on your team.

Skyrimosity #3 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15014 battles
  • [RS] RS

Look at the minimap and understand tanks; you should have a good idea, on any given map, where the enemy team is likely going to go at the start of a match based on nothing more than the map and tank composition. By knowing this, and paying attention to who is where on the minimap, you will then be better able to avoid +2 fights. In terms of raging, just try to stay calm and turn it into a learning experience. It can be difficult, trust me I know, but if you really want to improve then it'll be worth it.

This is a little write-up that I did that may help:

General Advice

And there are several pinned threads in this subsection that are also useful I suggest you look at. Alternatively, there are also Twitch streamers that may help you to learn how some players achieve better results. 

Edited by Skyrimosity, Dec 05 2017 - 01:26.

SilverEaglewing #4 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:26

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30618 battles
  • [NICO] NICO
I try to avoid top tier heavies and the places they go. If its a lets say Obj 252, its likely going city, so I will go field of somewhere away in my firefly.

Explodinggruntz #5 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

View PostKeep_Summer_Safe, on Dec 05 2017 - 00:16, said:

If you are breaking keyboards then you should speak with someone.... Not being a d*ck but chat rage is one thing but destroying your stuff is another. 

Maybe this game isn't for you so give something else a go. Fallout, Doom, other stuff like that omit the stupid and irritating RNG and the chance of being triggered from having 14 lead paint chip eaters being put on your team.

Maybe, but I often that the rage comes from my lack of skill. When I have a great game, even when I lose, if I did well I can usually look past the loss because I can at least say I performed well. The issue is that the majority of the time I feel like a bumbling idiot who has no idea where to go or what to be doing (especially in mediums) and things only get worse when I'm dealing with top-tier tanks that regardless of where I am and what ammo I load I just can't pen them. 

Edited by Explodinggruntz, Dec 05 2017 - 01:30.

Fireplace4 #6 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27921 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
The best ways to get a little better at the game are to pay attention to the minimap, look at the opposing team list and guessing where their tanks will be, and staying alive. If you're having trouble with mediums, maybe try some heavies. The KV-1 is a great place to start learning how to work armor and a lot more forgiving than mediums. One of the skills I'm working on now is noticing when a fight is unwinnable and running away to fight later in the battle. If you can retreat from the battle and work from a different angle that will help.

CannedHam91 #7 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:35

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15780 battles
  • [DBIOW] DBIOW

Took me about 10,000 games to figure out what I was doing wrong.  Now I know what I'm doing wrong, just not good enough to stop doing it!  I still suck.  When I'm having a day when everything goes wrong, I just hang with clan members, talk some BS with them, platoon and talk smack with them.  My clan is very laid back with lots of older players like myself.  That makes all the difference.  I quit taking the game seriously, and turned off XVM.  My stats suck, but are a true reflection of my play.  I've accepted the fact that I will not be a WGLNA all-star and have moved on.

Try different tank types.  I found I did OK in TDs against higher Tier, more experienced players, since I could hang back.  And don't forget to run away when facing a tank that will destroy you!  It took those 10k games to realize that running away to a different part of the map really worked.  Another trick I learned when lower tier is to wait about 30 seconds at the start of the match before deploying.  That way I didn't end up alone out in front of a poorly defended flank.  I still have to remind myself that if no one else goes to a flank, it is not my job to go there alone.  Better to hang back.  Always try to fight with support.  Tough in pubs though.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:36

Major

• Players
  • 14334 battles
  • [L_LEG] L_LEG
Watch people like Zeven on youtube and attempt to emulate them.

Explodinggruntz #9 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

View PostSkyrimosity, on Dec 05 2017 - 00:25, said:

Look at the minimap and understand tanks; you should have a good idea, on any given map, where the enemy team is likely going to go at the start of a match based on nothing more than the map and tank composition. By knowing this, and paying attention to who is where on the minimap, you will then be better able to avoid +2 fights. In terms of raging, just try to stay calm and turn it into a learning experience. It can be difficult, trust me I know, but if you really want to improve then it'll be worth it.

This is a little write-up that I did that may help:

General Advice

And there are several pinned threads in this subsection that are also useful I suggest you look at. Alternatively, there are also Twitch streamers that may help you to learn how some players achieve better results. 

Thanks for this, it was really helpful. Thanks to all the others as well who have provided some helpful tips and ideas.

Bob_5000 #10 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 01:48

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30636 battles
  • [RS] RS
Pfft, I still rage. I still have games where I have no idea what im doing. No biggie. Try to learn. I would add to look at the tanks.gg website where u can specify the tank you used against the certain tanks to know where you can pen. But sometimes you have to realize that the enemy has a certain advantage over you and you should work around that. Be it have your teammates that are higher tier taking hits. I know as a tier 7 if I find a t95 I might just find somewhere else to fight. Not every situation that you are stuck to a committed area to fight.That would be his disadvantage, he wont keep up with you to go where you relocate. Maybe a short time after you find you can flank and farm. 

Explodinggruntz #11 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 02:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

Edited by Explodinggruntz, Dec 05 2017 - 04:06.

Arturo_Steel #12 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 07:22

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10289 battles
  • [KANTO] KANTO

View PostExplodinggruntz, on Dec 05 2017 - 01:08, said:

I do seriously want to improve so I don't feel like I'm bumbling around like an idiot at the mercy of RNGesus.

You have probably heard this from quickybaby a million times but when you are bottom tier you need to play as a supporting tank. Read the map before the game starts and look where your teammates are going and go with them. You need to let your teammates pen tanks that you can't. However most tanks have weak spots so i would suggest going on tanks.gg and looking at the 3D models of the ones you have trouble with. often it's simply a matter of finding it's side.

Explodinggruntz #13 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 03:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

Here are links to replays of my last 3 games. If anyone is willing to spend the time to watch them and critique my gameplay I would much appreciate it. 

http://wotreplays.eu...-m4a1_revaloris (I admit I get very salty at the end of this one)

http://wotreplays.eu...ntz-m4a3e8_fury

http://wotreplays.eu...runtz-tiger_131

Skyrimosity #14 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 00:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15014 battles
  • [RS] RS

So frustrating. I had write-ups for the Revalorise and Fury but lost the content. Sigh. 

Revalorise: Map awareness. You should have noticed that your team lost that portion of the map where the IS-6 and 50 120 showed up from. The first peak against the T-10 was good and risk-free, as was the second. Trying to bait out the third shot was not too bad, though taking the hit from the AT-15 was avoidable considering something with alpha in the 200s hit the 120 (which you could have assumed was the AT-15). Keep an eye on that minimap, and know where minimap positions translate to on the battlefield.

Fury: Push on the T37 was good, but auto-aim can always make shots miss and I saw two shots that were pretty risky to use it on. Overall, it was worth the HP trade. The KV was well-handled, making sure he wasn't looking at you. Auto-aim may have been a bit risky, since the Fury does not have great pen to my knowledge. Your aim on the Hellcat was finicky. After that, you made a bit of a misplay pushing up to that building; I would have crossed the rails and tried to make a play in the C7 area. The peak on the T25/2 was too much risk for too little reward, considering the Skorpion's position. 

Tiger 131: Drove into a rock due to looking at enemy's positions. Not getting to where you need to be as fast as possible on that line can be a real killer. I like the JG PZ IV handling. You go in with the rest of the team and notice you have a shot at the Jackson; not bad at all. After you, you go middle but keep cover between you and anything too scary; good. I think you might could have killed the Skorpion instead of shooting at the IKV that first time. You handled everything after that as well as can be expected; given the situation, perhaps you were a bit hesitant with the 85M but it doesn't *really* matter since, if the situation had not been such a decisive victory, it would have been the right way to play it. Killing arty is always a plus. Your aiming in this match seemed a bit better than in the Fury, and I wonder if it's because the Tiger is a slower platform? 

Conclusion: Map awareness, aiming, risk-reward judgement are what I would say you need to work on the most. Hopefully someone else will come along and point more things out to you. 

Skyrimosity #15 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 01:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15014 battles
  • [RS] RS

I decided to upload a Revaloris battle, wondering if maybe that would help you. I just played this battle (and it was the first battle after I decided I would do it). 

http://wotreplays.eu...-m4a1_revaloris

Quick rundown: I don't go 9-0 line because it tends to be useless. The main reason I didn't this time is because all the lights will keep me perma-lit and I don't have the armor to really bully the other mediums (who would presumably be hull-down). So, I want to go to the "heavy" side because it has a lot of ridges and I figure that I'll be able to make use of it with the Rev's gun depression. I track the IS-6 purposefully and, in that position, he can do nothing.  Let's see, after that, I get a shot on the Mutz or Type 59. I shoot the Mutz first because his turret is facing away and is thus an easy pen, even though I also had a shot on the 59. A little bit after that, I'm looking for a shot on the Type 59 but the IS-6 gets in my way. I spot a HWK 12, but do not concern myself with him because he's not coming for me. I finish off the IS-6 (using my gun depression to limit exposure) only taking one shot from him. After that, the Type 59 is running away and I get lucky to bounce a shell from him. I hit a shot before he gets behind a building, and he's dead. 

After that, I'm not sure whether to go after the HWK 12 or the tanks left on the 9-0 mid. I decide 9-0 mid after seeing the Lorraine hit his first shot on the HWK and figuring he will be clipped out. I let the shot on the next Type 59 aim in a bit and shoot, knowing he'll probably be killed soon anyway (no point not taking the shot). I get kinda lucky and it hits. I move forward a bit, aim in as much as I can for the Mod 1 (knowing the Rev has a great shell velocity, I'm not too worried about firing in a rush) and get a pretty good hit. 

I got 2 pretty lucky hits in, I think, but my positioning ensured I was able to take the shots in the first place.

Edited by Skyrimosity, Dec 07 2017 - 01:44.

Explodinggruntz #16 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 16:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

Thank you, Sky both for the advice in my games and the example it was all really helpful.

In my own M4A1 Rev. game, I honestly had no idea where I should have been going and what I should have been doing, as was probably obvious from my gameplay. This actually happens about every time I play that map so I think I'm gonna go see if I can find some map strategy videos. 

In the Fury game I auto aimed because A) my aiming is crapwhen I'm on the move like that, and B) I was pretty confident that the 125mm of pen would be enough to deal with the light armor on the T37. I auto aimed on the KV-85 again for the same reasons but in retrospect, I probably should have aimed manually. The advice about moving up to the building was helpful cause I think it highlighted one of my major faults which is the tendency to move straight towards an engagement rather then around it to get more advantageous positions (for example I probably would not have gone around the edge of the battle if I had been the one driving the M4A1 Rev. in your game). 

As for the Tiger 131 game, I did almost facepalm myself at running into the rock and was fortunate enough that the enemy force that went that line wasn't too great. As for aiming a lot of that, I think comes down to confidence as well as the ability (I feel) to take more time with the shots. I know the Tiger's armor and how to work it and in conjunction with the slow aim time, I feel I take a fraction more time putting shots on target and am a bit less hasty. 

Also pretty sure my M4A1 Rev. might be cursed. One game I get my ammo damaged, another I have a team that flanks a map unopposed and then just sits outside of their base doing nothing.

Edited by Explodinggruntz, Dec 07 2017 - 17:15.

Skyrimosity #17 Posted Dec 07 2017 - 23:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15014 battles
  • [RS] RS

View PostExplodinggruntz, on Dec 07 2017 - 09:49, said:

Thank you, Sky both for the advice in my games and the example it was all really helpful.

In my own M4A1 Rev. game, I honestly had no idea where I should have been going and what I should have been doing, as was probably obvious from my gameplay. This actually happens about every time I play that map so I think I'm gonna go see if I can find some map strategy videos. 

In the Fury game I auto aimed because A) my aiming is crapwhen I'm on the move like that, and B) I was pretty confident that the 125mm of pen would be enough to deal with the light armor on the T37. I auto aimed on the KV-85 again for the same reasons but in retrospect, I probably should have aimed manually. The advice about moving up to the building was helpful cause I think it highlighted one of my major faults which is the tendency to move straight towards an engagement rather then around it to get more advantageous positions (for example I probably would not have gone around the edge of the battle if I had been the one driving the M4A1 Rev. in your game). 

As for the Tiger 131 game, I did almost facepalm myself at running into the rock and was fortunate enough that the enemy force that went that line wasn't too great. As for aiming a lot of that, I think comes down to confidence as well as the ability (I feel) to take more time with the shots. I know the Tiger's armor and how to work it and in conjunction with the slow aim time, I feel I take a fraction more time putting shots on target and am a bit less hasty. 

Also pretty sure my M4A1 Rev. might be cursed. One game I get my ammo damaged, another I have a team that flanks a map unopposed and then just sits outside of their base doing nothing.

Also worth noting that you don’t have that many battles and experience is a very important teacher

Explodinggruntz #18 Posted Dec 08 2017 - 01:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3

View PostSkyrimosity, on Dec 07 2017 - 22:51, said:

Also worth noting that you don’t have that many battles and experience is a very important teacher

Yeah, I understand that and it's something I have to keep reminding myself. The one caveat is that my stats are moving in the upwards direction (was in high 47% win rate range by this time last year).

Explodinggruntz #19 Posted Dec 10 2017 - 21:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 4346 battles
  • [R0GU3] R0GU3
Any tips for dealing with arty? Cause honestly at this point that is what is infuriating me the most. I play smart and patient biding my time till I find the moment to move up, only to get smacked in the face with an arty shell that nukes all my health away. It saps out all the fun of the game because it just feels unfair and unfun 90% of the time. The other 10% being when arty does a reasonable amount of damage.

scharnhorst310 #20 Posted Dec 10 2017 - 21:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 24435 battles

View PostExplodinggruntz, on Dec 10 2017 - 12:12, said:

Any tips for dealing with arty? Cause honestly at this point that is what is infuriating me the most. I play smart and patient biding my time till I find the moment to move up, only to get smacked in the face with an arty shell that nukes all my health away. It saps out all the fun of the game because it just feels unfair and unfun 90% of the time. The other 10% being when arty does a reasonable amount of damage.

You just have to be alert about arty. When can they shoot (look around for explosions, etc so you can time their reloads). Look at the map, if your one of the few people spotted good chance arty going to be looking at you. Know the common areas arty sets up, so you can pick positions that give you give cover. Last but not least, remain unpredictable if you know you are a target. Go forward and stop, act crazy, it makes it very hard to predict where you are going to hit you on the move. 

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users