Thoughts for future Clan Wars

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

dominator_98 #1 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 20:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 19089 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

I've read and posted on a lot of CW related threads, so here's my opinion on the ideal CW scenario.

The need:

A good clan wars scene is essential to prolonging the survival of this game. People bond with their clanmates and keep coming back to the game to play with the friends they made. Friends can be made through skirmishes, but having a set time and a commitment to a CW schedule keeps people logging in every night. If CW is available and appealing to a larger amount of players, that means more players coming back every night.

The tiers:

Many feel that CW should be end-game content and tier 10 only. I'm fine with it being tier 10 only partly because I agree it should be endgame and partly because of the imbalanced premium tanks. With all the personal reserves flying around these days, the grind to tier 10 for those who want to participate has never been quicker. 

The format:

I personally like the scaling down of the 15, 10, and 7 man teams. This means players don't have to be part of a huge clan to participate, as managing and recruiting for a big clan is a lot of hard work. Being in a a big clan also makes you feel more anonymous and less important IMO. 

Another perk of having 7 and 10 man formats is that clans who want to grow to the full 15 will have an easier time recruiting. Players interested in CW today aren't going to join a clan that can't field a 15 man team, but if they could be part of a 7v7 in the meanwhile, they would be more willing to help the clan build. Payouts would be scaled like the old tier 6 and 8 maps were.

Having three divisions would allow lesser-skilled clans to get a little slice of the pie. Clans like D-DAY, MUG-W, and many more are on the map almost every night with server average players, but the top 20 clans are the ones who hold all the land. Having three separate formats with decreasing rewards allows more opportunities for the little guy to get something small for his efforts, with restrictions and payouts that encourage better clans to move up to the top level.

The restrictions:

To counter the clans that will inevitably try to just farm the "easy" map, limit clans to holding a certain number of provinces at a time (4-6 would be ideal IMO). If your clan feels the need to hold more than that, its time to move up a format. Also, after three days a province should stop giving income to discourage clans from just sitting on land. 

Also, ditch all this bonds crap, nobody asked for it and nobody wants it.

If you agree/disagree with a specific part of this post, please cut the excess when quoting so we don't have to read my wall of text again :P

Edited by dominator_98, Dec 05 2017 - 20:25.

Devildog8 #2 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 9925 battles
  • [BOLTS] BOLTS
Decent Ideas except it shouldnt only be tier 10s, tho I agree tier 10 is endgame ( ok not really ) that shouldnt be the only reason why clan wars should be only tier 10, tier 8s and 6s gives clans the opportunity to learn to play as a team and learn CW strats and grooms them for the "endgame" in which most clans seek but are not yet ready for tier 10 campaigns, tons will argue it takes up too much map and the top clans have a smaller map to farm, I believe every clan should be able to compete in this mode, even the clans without a ton of tier 10s, tank locking will also hurt smaller clans which tier 10 CWs are famous for. tho I enjoy tier 10 CWs the same clans farming all the gold and land just so the other clans is food for them is not a endgame, its a clan cash cow at smallers clans inexperience, I am for one the guy who doesnt think 10 CWs are endgame but just a mode in a game where top clan flourish and the others turn into sheep.

Bob_5000 #3 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32867 battles
Actually sounds pretty reasonable. What i dont necessarily agree with is land not giving gold after those games. I dont know the alternative, but may cause a strain with clans getting too many locked tier 10s. Unless you think that would be fair enough, for clans that happen to have its players with relatively low amount of tier 10s have a hard time keeping up those available tanks; where battles for land equals tanks that are taken out be locked. 

Bob_5000 #4 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32867 battles

View PostDevildog8, on Dec 05 2017 - 12:11, said:

tier 8s and 6s gives clans the opportunity to learn to play as a team and learn CW strats and grooms them for the "endgame" in which most clans seek but are not yet ready for tier 10 campaigns,

Lol. Both you and me should know by this point those clans in the lower tiers planned on staying where at and not to move up. 

Devildog8 #5 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:29

Major

• Players
  • 9925 battles
  • [BOLTS] BOLTS

View PostBob_5000, on Dec 05 2017 - 14:20, said:

Lol. Both you and me should know by this point those clans in the lower tiers planned on staying where at and not to move up. 

That's not true, our clan played tier 6 CWs, now moving up, I cant say I completely agree with that statement, and even if they do I don't see an issue with them playing a mode their particular clan enjoys playing, someone else's endgame isn't necessarily theirs 

BigDollarBillz #6 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:37

Major

• Players
  • 36250 battles

View PostDevildog8, on Dec 05 2017 - 15:11, said:

Decent Ideas except it shouldnt only be tier 10s, tho I agree tier 10 is endgame ( ok not really ) that shouldnt be the only reason why clan wars should be only tier 10, tier 8s and 6s gives clans the opportunity to learn to play as a team and learn CW strats and grooms them for the "endgame" in which most clans seek but are not yet ready for tier 10 campaigns, tons will argue it takes up too much map and the top clans have a smaller map to farm, I believe every clan should be able to compete in this mode, even the clans without a ton of tier 10s, tank locking will also hurt smaller clans which tier 10 CWs are famous for. tho I enjoy tier 10 CWs the same clans farming all the gold and land just so the other clans is food for them is not a endgame, its a clan cash cow at smallers clans inexperience, I am for one the guy who doesnt think 10 CWs are endgame but just a mode in a game where top clan flourish and the others turn into sheep.

Tier 6 and 8 was meant for this. But instead clans just camped in tier 6 and 8 and never moved up. Clan wars should be tier 10, while letting clan members with at least a tier 9 join in. I can remember back when cw first came about. It was tier 10 then and should be so now.

dominator_98 #7 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 19089 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostBob_5000, on Dec 05 2017 - 14:11, said:

Actually sounds pretty reasonable. What i dont necessarily agree with is land not giving gold after those games. I dont know the alternative, but may cause a strain with clans getting too many locked tier 10s. Unless you think that would be fair enough, for clans that happen to have its players with relatively low amount of tier 10s have a hard time keeping up those available tanks; where battles for land equals tanks that are taken out be locked. 

I didn't mention tank locking in my first post because I've never played with it on. Maybe no tank locking for 7v7 and reduced time locked for 10v10? 

_DangerNoodle #8 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 16762 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostDevildog8, on Dec 05 2017 - 15:11, said:

that's what stronks are for, clan wars spamming cromwells isnt competitive and you know it

Devildog8 #9 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 9925 battles
  • [BOLTS] BOLTS

View Postdominator_98, on Dec 05 2017 - 14:50, said:

I didn't mention tank locking in my first post because I've never played with it on. Maybe no tank locking for 7v7 and reduced time locked for 10v10? 

tank locking is what kills most clan from doing tier 10 CWs

Devildog8 #10 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:56

Major

• Players
  • 9925 battles
  • [BOLTS] BOLTS

View Post_DangerNoodle, on Dec 05 2017 - 14:55, said:

that's what stronks are for, clan wars spamming cromwells isnt competitive and you know it

says you

I mean you can the same in advances correct, same argument

164thLeichteAfrikaDiv #11 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9870 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostBob_5000, on Dec 05 2017 - 21:20, said:

Not necessarily true. TDU dominated at Tier 6. Then they pulled off the map and moved up to Tier 8. The rewards are greater the higher you go so the incentive to move up is there. After the last Tier 6 CW's and after TDU moved up our clan GSH ended up with 13 provinces. Our plan was to do another at Tier 6 and if still successful running multiple teams then we would have gladly migrated to Tier 8. That was how it was supposed to work and here are examples of two clans that were following the concept as it was intended. The problem for our clan at Tier 10 is we are now playing with fake and imaginary tanks. As a German clan we would love to use tanks that are and were actually real and WWII based. Perhaps WG needs to bring back weekly tournaments cause as of right now there is no reason to own any tank that isn't Tier 6, 8 (for SH's) or 10. Lot's of tanks in our garage's are begging for competitive play at their respective tiers. 

164thLeichteAfrikaDiv #12 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:21

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9870 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View Post_DangerNoodle, on Dec 05 2017 - 21:55, said:

Our VK's would disagree. We did very well against Crommie teams. They don't seem to enjoy getting up close and personal with the German Tier 6 VK mediums. 

Tolos #13 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:22

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostDevildog8, on Dec 05 2017 - 20:55, said:

tank locking is what kills most clan from doing tier 10 CWs

For years the average clans whined and moaned about the top clans only win because they can use the same tanks over and over. The news of tank locking came and all the average clans cheered, the top clans BEGGED WG not to do it because we knew it would hurt the more average clans the most. WG didnt listen, did it anyways, and the top clans got blamed for it. 

Edited by Tolos, Dec 05 2017 - 22:22.

RC_1140 #14 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:26

Captain

• Players
  • 57773 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
So to counter tank locking and tier 10's on the 7v7 map have no tank locking, 10v10 half time locking. That would fit with the smaller payouts and make it easier for smaller clans. Also lets them work towards more 10's so they can move up on maps. 

dominator_98 #15 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 19089 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostDevildog8, on Dec 05 2017 - 14:29, said:

That's not true, our clan played tier 6 CWs, now moving up,

Your clan and TDU are the exception, not the majority. Clans like 5D will always be tier 6 clans. It's fine to play tier 6, but CW should be the highest level of competitive play in this game outside of WGLNA and it should push players to grind out their tier 10s. The epitome of competition shouldn't occur at tier 6 or 8.

164thLeichteAfrikaDiv #16 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9870 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View Postdominator_98, on Dec 05 2017 - 22:30, said:

Your clan and TDU are the exception, not the majority. Clans like 5D will always be tier 6 clans. It's fine to play tier 6, but CW should be the highest level of competitive play in this game outside of WGLNA and it should push players to grind out their tier 10s. The epitome of competition shouldn't occur at tier 6 or 8.

I would agree about 5D but they don't have the skilled players to compete at higher levels. They played the map and missions well but head to head they were quite easy to beat. While Tier 10 can remain the epitome of competition, it would be nice to see some competition at all tiers. Especially for those guys like myself who actually are interested in the historical aspect of this game and would prefer to play with tanks that actually were in combat.

dominator_98 #17 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:37

Major

• -Players-
  • 19089 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View Post164thLeichteAfrikaDiv, on Dec 05 2017 - 15:33, said:

I would agree about 5D but they don't have the skilled players to compete at higher levels. They played the map and missions well but head to head they were quite easy to beat. While Tier 10 can remain the epitome of competition, it would be nice to see some competition at all tiers. Especially for those guys like myself who actually are interested in the historical aspect of this game and would prefer to play with tanks that actually were in combat.

Yeah, some more tournaments would be nice and would be easy to implement. 

You know what I think would be a good meme? Tier 6 advances. Knowing the map ahead of time allows you to plan a strategy and lineup and even a tier 6 strategy prepares you better for CW than skirmishes where you have to bring a generic lineup and quickly derive a strat.

Tolos #18 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostRC_1140, on Dec 05 2017 - 21:26, said:

So to counter tank locking and tier 10's on the 7v7 map have no tank locking, 10v10 half time locking. That would fit with the smaller payouts and make it easier for smaller clans. Also lets them work towards more 10's so they can move up on maps. 

The problem with that idea is 99% of those clans DONT move up, they sit farming tier 6 or tier 8, with no intention of going to tier 10. Thus blocking those other clans that are trying to get into clan wars. 

dominator_98 #19 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 23:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 19089 battles
  • [NUFFS] NUFFS

View PostTolos, on Dec 05 2017 - 15:38, said:

The problem with that idea is 99% of those clans DONT move up, they sit farming tier 6 or tier 8, with no intention of going to tier 10. Thus blocking those other clans that are trying to get into clan wars. 

Which is why in my post it would be tier 10, tier 10, and tier 10 with a limit on the amount of low-level provinces. Same tier makes for an easier jump up and the province limit would be low enough that good players wouldn't waste their time.

Bob_5000 #20 Posted Dec 06 2017 - 09:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32867 battles

View PostDevildog8, on Dec 05 2017 - 12:29, said:

That's not true, our clan played tier 6 CWs, now moving up

You are saying as if it was a choice. Sounds like given the opportunity you would jump right back on to the tier 6 map. But kudos for doing tier 10. 

But I do recall TDU moving up when it was a choice, kudos to them more so. 

Edited by Bob_5000, Dec 06 2017 - 09:32.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users