Lites Mediums and Heavies CAMPING is it a problem?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Camping a problem in Random Battles (70 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you feel Lites, Medium or Heavies that camp affect the outcome of Random Battles

1. yes (55 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

2. No (15 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Hide poll

IKEWIN #1 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 25933 battles
  • [FOI] FOI

I have played 26 000 games. I believe that camping is a serious problem WoT refuses to address in MM and RNG.

1. When a "tank" never leaves the spawn or hides with the TDs at the back it basically puts the entire team at a disadvantage. When the team consist of more than 50% camper tanks in Random Battles a team the odds of winning are greatly reduced.

2. Camping at the back of the map is effectively providing the enemy team with the teams positions and result in forward player getting swarm killed when the enemy deducts they are easy to pick off.

3. Camper by the nature/style of play abandoned the objective of capturing the enemy Base.

4. Campers make it impossible for their team mates to advance past the center of any map.  If you do advance past the center of the map the campers will never see or hit the enemies your fighting cause the enemies are out of radio range.

5. I am not talking about yolo I am talking about the ability to advance or count on support is not there when to many players camp.

Edited by IKEWIN, Dec 05 2017 - 21:28.

Gang_Starr #2 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:34

Major

• Players
  • 13746 battles
Never understood why people are afraid in a video game. The point is to go and shoot other tanks, not sit in a bush near spawn for 8 minutes and then get farmed because your team got rolled without your help.

sergeantmine09 #3 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:34

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11517 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Camping is a problem, but just like working with the system the game has, you have to be able to accommodate  for the lack of support. It isn't easy but you either have to stay close to them or you have to be able to efficiently drain the health of enemies so when you die your teammate can pick them off.

Arty_Did_Nothing_Wrong #4 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:37

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10 battles
  • [MAKI] MAKI

It depends...

Is that Light camping in a passive scouting bush and actually scouting for the team? Then it's not a problem, it's a help...

Is that Medium also passive scouting in a bush for their team because they have no scouts, and they have good camo? Then it isn't a problem, but don't sit there all game...

Is that Heavy caught out in the open trying to take advantage of what ever little bit of cover there may be, such as a small rock? Then it's not a problem, but again, don't sit there all game...

If it isn't one of the three it is a problem, and actively contributes to your teams loss...

Edited by Arty_Did_Nothing_Wrong, Dec 05 2017 - 21:37.

Dockmaster #5 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40658 battles
  • [ACES] ACES

There are legitimate reasons for camping.

Complaining about it in game is too much like telling others "how to play their game."

BattlecryGWJ #6 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:48

Major

• Players
  • 33336 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

While I do tend to dislike passive play, the game mechanics do tend to encourage it (particularly the spotting system).  Individually, you have the biggest advantage is spotting when you're not moving, sitting in a spot waiting for the enemy to advance into you.  Of course that gets rather more complicated and nuanced when it comes to trying to work as a team given that you're a random group of 15 people tossed into a fight together.

Mad_Dog_Seabee #7 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:53

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10042 battles
  • [-RG--] -RG--

View PostDockmaster, on Dec 05 2017 - 13:47, said:

There are legitimate reasons for camping.

Complaining about it in game is too much like telling others "how to play their game."

Yeah that gets annoying, especially when I am running xvm and it is that new player with 45% winrate and 1K battles trying to tell everyone how to "win". Like last night on fisherman's bay I camped near the end because I had 15/1450 hp in my tiger (p). Why should I push with 1% hp, where's the logic in that? The whole time I had a 1000 battle new players whining about my gameplay style.

Nudnick #8 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 21621 battles
I have the opposite problem, I don't know when to stop. I figure I have a motor I might as well use it. From what I've seen controlling large portions of the map works better than being surrounded and picked off one by one.

Junkalunka #9 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8062 battles
  • [VENUM] VENUM

Camping makes sense in some situations but not in others. The real problem is people not reading the map.

_Tsavo #10 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 21:58

Major

• Players
  • 38284 battles

There's too much passive play from bad players.  Is it against the rules?  No.  Is it annoying when you know the match would probably be different if they were more active?  Yeah.

holdmecloserTonyDanza #11 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 57040 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
not a problem til they start yelling about the team not doing enough....it's these players that expect to be carried while doing nothing all match

Hawk1_2007 #12 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47496 battles
What really bugs me is when they are top tier and camping, especially in tier 8.  I mean, you don't get to be top there much with the new matchmaking and I just want to scream "what are you waiting for - go bully some 6's and 7's" cause you only get to do that what, every 10th game?  I often try to force a push in those situations and hope they follow up, but am usually left disappointed (and dead).

Junkalunka #13 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:08

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8062 battles
  • [VENUM] VENUM

View PostholdmecloserTonyDanza, on Dec 05 2017 - 22:00, said:

not a problem til they start yelling about the team not doing enough....it's these players that expect to be carried while doing nothing all match

Anytime some tomato blames the team after rushing in and dying, or camping in the back doing nothing, I just make fun of them and point out their 44% winrate at 30k games.

Edited by Junkalunka, Dec 05 2017 - 22:09.

RedBaronK #14 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:10

Major

• Players
  • 36183 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

If u camp and get damage, I don't care.

If u camp and get 0, I'll shoot you myself.

holdmecloserTonyDanza #15 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:15

Major

• Players
  • 57040 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostRedBaronK, on Dec 05 2017 - 15:10, said:

If u camp and get damage, I don't care.

If u camp and get 0, I'll shoot you myself.

that's alright your clanmates shoot people for "stealing kills"

RC_1140 #16 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:19

Captain

• Players
  • 53686 battles
  • [-NHL-] -NHL-
If I am bottom tier in a tank with a good gun I will play a bit more passively, depending on the map. On fiery salient one time I was "sniping" with my lowe when bottom tier, was top damage but still got complained at. In other tanks I will try to remain unspotted but that doesn't mean I'm camping, usually in those tanks I move around more than everyone else on the team. Also if I'm a one shot I'll try not to die, if that means hanging back to not get spotted then I'll do that.  Basically just because it looks like someone is camping doesn't meant they are or maybe they have a reason. However there are people that just sit there doing nothing and that can be a problem. 

Altwar #17 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:22

Major

• Players
  • 50707 battles
  • [A-F] A-F

Camping generally sucks, but it happens for reasons that might not be obvious.  Getting disconnected, RTIs that force an AFK, players not yet acclimated to the map and/or tank are probably the most common.  Other reasons can be assumed, and have already been talked to in this thread.

There is also intentional camping to induce the yolos and reckless enemies into extending too far from their team where they can be focused fired and killed.  Admiral Akbar famously calls this situation "Its a trap!".

Whatever the reason, you as a player control your tank, and your tank alone.  What you do with it is up to you.  But should you find yourself on a flank alone while the rest of the team may be camping, and are destroyed by the enemy as a result, that result is in you, no matter how bitter you complain to the team.  If you aren't being backed up, its on you to recognize that circumstance and react before you no longer have a chance.

Camping is just a situation where you have have to figure out a way to make it work for you.  Lemonade out of lemons, as it were.  I don't see how Wargaming can address it via RNG or MM.  Maybe every battle is on Mittengard aka Battle Bowl, where regardless of what you do or don't do, you are positioned by default to be engaged in battle.

JOSEPHINEISH #18 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 19602 battles
  • [TBOOM] TBOOM
I haven't noticed anymore camping than usual by any class.I will say the excessive amount of tds in the mm causes camping but thats what they do i guess.The thing is when most of the team is tds both sides and its late game and everyone is dead but TDs you may need to move a bit .Im just saying you know not complaining just an observation.

VileTasteOfDeath #19 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14473 battles

There are people in either stock tanks, or tanks that are "support" that go too far in the extreme to protect themselves.  They hide thinking they might be able to contribute from a far.  What they need to learn is that even if your tank can't brawl, it can still follow the brawlers in and shoot from the second line.  No need to wait until the team gets rolled and get a couple shots in at spawn before they are over whelmed.  Even a bottom tier medium can flank around engaged brawlers and contribute.  I just wish people tried a little harder to think about their tank, the situation and real ways they can contribute.  Dying at the end with two penetrating shots or dying at the beginning with two penetrating shots can be very different contributions to the team.  Those two shots at the beginning could be the difference between someone else killing that tank much sooner.  Waiting until the end gets you absolutely nothing.  In fact, if you don't think your tank and/or your skill can contribute early in the game, you sure as crap are not going to get a Kolobanov's at the end.

Edited by VileTasteOfDeath, Dec 05 2017 - 22:39.

JTM78 #20 Posted Dec 05 2017 - 22:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17303 battles
  • [OBSCN] OBSCN
Campers are like lemming trains, just join in and farm some damage before it is over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users